Anyone else feel bad their kid misses out on book fairs?

Any other mamas have to send their kid to school on book fair day and not able to give them money for it? I feel awful and was just hoping my kid wasn’t the only one who misses out with some things.

47 Likes

I can afford and still don’t send money on. It’s a waste of money since he has access to unlimited books on his reading apps. Don’t feel bad.

I have plenty of money to spare and rarely send money for bookfairs. I buy my children plenty elsewhere. I’m so over all the events and requests for money at school! They must realize not everyone can afford it! I’m not even exaggerating when I say it’s something nearly every week!!

24 Likes

I told my daughter if she has any money left over, surprise a friend who can’t but anything with a gift. Don’t tell them, just buy it and give it to them. It’s the thought that goes a long way and they’ll remember that moment. Not saying I have a ton of money, not at all, but the gesture goes a long way and it makes another kid smile. That’s all I care about. :sparkling_heart:

30 Likes

:heart: I’m a momma to 7 wonderful kids from 21 to 4 so we’ve had and still have many many book fairs lol. I’ve been there and couldn’t send money and I always felt awful. One trick I started doing was making sure each child had a special occasion piggybank in their rooms and put spare change in them when I could. They could also earn quarters and dollars sometimes. I’d always have them stick some of their birthday and holiday cash in them. The pigs could only be used for special occasions like book fair, icecream Fridays, the Santa shop at school, birthday parties, or a special item for a themed day at school. They rarely ever missed book fair that way!

14 Likes

I used to let mine participate but then I realized that schools are turning into mini pyramid schemes. My kid brings home more fundraiser fliers than a door to door salesman. I’m good we can go to books a million with an enormous selection and way less crap. Sorry $2 for an eraser that doesn’t erase but looks like a $100 bill is ridiculous. We teach ours the value of money. Bookstore stuff is basically dollar general items at a huge up charge.

5 Likes

It would be a lot easier on parents if they didn’t charge an arm and a leg for the books.

11 Likes

We send extra money for field trips, extra treats and food on party days, but I don’t do the book fairs🤷‍♀️ It’s wildly overpriced and my kids got more than enough books lol. We actually just got rid of 2 boxes and I still feel like we need to do more🙃

They never want books anyway, they want all the little crap they have there. I used to go through the scholastic myself and look for good deals and buy books and learning games, but I haven’t seen a scholastic magazine since my kids have been back in Cleveland municipal school districts, and I’m sure that’s related

1 Like

This probably won’t be very helpful but I’m not trying to be mean. Just trying to inform that it really does hurt the younger kids feelings when they get left out of stuff like that. If you can’t afford extra things like that as they roll around maybe make a jar to throw a few bucks in each week to keep for things like that so you can send at least $10 for the book fair just so your child does not feel left out.

I know we never “know” for sure when these things will roll around so if you just threw ever $1-5 in a envelope/jar/cup weekly you could save and have a little when it does roll around. They may not be able to get all the extra toys and junk up front but they can at least pick out 1 book with $10.

Can you talk to the teacher? Maybe there are or could be programs where people donate so the kids without money could get books too, or a note could go out to parents asking them to contribute for kids who can’t afford stuff.

I always thought why buy books (and other crap they sold) when the library is free? But I get feeling left out. Maybe there could be Dolly Parton books supplied for kids too.

R school district only has the book fair open after school hours so parents can take their kids we hardly ever go I just let them pick books at thrift stores

7 Likes

I gave my kids book fair money but they usually come back with anything that isn’t a book. So this year, no book fair money this year.

I don’t give my kids money for the book fair, most of the time it’s only online or after school hours, I got 3 kids and a crap ton of books that they don’t ever read anyways :woman_shrugging: I think they just like getting something new, but not actually caring for it. I do hate when they come home with a book anyways bc they’re not gonna read it and I got to fit it with all the other books they already have and I hope no one paid for it for them, bc yes I have the money to send with them but no I do not want more and they will more then likely not even touch it, plus they’re expensive as heck. Now if they have something else I’ll send extra money in for kids that don’t have money for it.

Most of my kids’ friends don’t have the extra money for these types of things. I always send extra so they can share, but most of the things being sold seem very overpriced. Don’t feel badly. With everything being so expensive, almost everyone is cutting back on spending. You are still a good mom. Don’t let these things cause you to doubt yourself.

I try to give my kids teacher $10 on top of what I give my own kid to help if someone doesn’t have money for the book fair, it was always my favorite thing the school did as a kid and it might not be much but I try to help when I’m able💜

5 Likes

I tell my kid if I can’t send money to wait and I take him to the bookstore. Not the same but he understands

Idk maybe I’m an odd one out but as a kid I loved going to the book fair just to LOOK at what they had. Growing up my mom didn’t have money to give us kids for the book fair and I understood that; it was more about the experience. I would sometimes mention to my mom I saw something REALLY cool I wanted and sometimes if she could swing it, I would get it. But otherwise I was indifferent so I hope my kid isn’t feeling upset when she can’t buy things, I never did

I felt bad. My kid felt left. They give students class time to go to the bookstore. Last time, I sent him with $20 and he took $5 from his piggy bank. For $25, he got a pencil, chocolate, invisible ink, and a diary. The lock broke the same day, the chocolate was terrible, and he lost the pencil. He still has the indivisible ink pen, but I did find the same pens by a case for $10 on Shein. $25 on nonsense wasn’t worth it. No matter how you feel and whether you can afford it or not is irrelevant when they are basically ripping kids off. Take your kid to Barns n Noble and have a family day plus you don’t have to buy anything just make memories.

1 Like

My kids have to miss out too
Yours aren’t the only ones. It sucks but it is what it is.

1 Like

They just want the frilly pens & notebooks with glittery slime in them anyway. :roll_eyes:

No. If you’re able to try to sign up for Dolly Parton’s imagination station. They send a free book in the mail every month for your child’s age. I don’t remember what age it goes up to, or if they send books to every state or city.

Don’t feel guilty, you have a family to provide for. Books at the book fair are expensive and sometimes overpriced. They do sometimes have discount books for 1,3 or 5 dollars tho. I only gave my daughter money for the books fair this time around because it was BOGO. When my oldest was I. Elementary I gave her 100 a year to use at the book fair. Now that I’m not working and I have 5 kids Instead of just her, my other kids sometimes have to miss out because things change. What you may not can do this year, does not mean you won’t be able to next year.

Instead of spending so much at a book fair. Take the kids to a book throft store or buy on Amazon. I have bought used books on Amazon for $1. I get on there with my daughter and we pick out books to buy. She loves it and we get to spend time doing something fun

2 Likes

At my grandson’s school they provide a link where grandparents, etc can contribute.

5 Likes

I always feel bad about that… sometimes we have it, sometimes not. We have 4 elementary aged kids and it’s expensive with just 1.

2 Likes

Some school libraries will have funds to buy books and might have extra for kids who can’t afford it. Not the librarians money but the library. Depends if they raise money though the year

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll catch hell for this but the book fair is the only thing my kids “miss out on” it has gotten so expensive and this year it has been once a month all school year. We have tons of books at home.

1 Like

I am single mother of 3 and I never bought books from book fair as they all kids books and they grow so fast, I always take them to the library

2 Likes

I sent my daughter with a few dollars, they never actually get a book anyway. I usually forget, don’t feel bad. They can borrow whatever book they want from the library!

1 Like

Seems like there are a lot more fairs than there used to be as a kid. Do your own thing. Maybe instead go to a used books store and find more options for same money. Maybe hit a library who is giving away books they have too many of in circulation. Or garage sales and thrift stores. If ya tie it to nearly the same day or week ya can still have a great connection.

No I never felt bad, because food was more important, and we would go to the library book sales and they would get $30 books for $2.

2 Likes

When our school does book fair, they add a table full of books, with boxes of used books beneath that have been donated by families and some of the old library books, that kids can buy for 25 cents apiece :hugs: talk to your PTA and see if they may start something like this for your area!! Or better yet, start asking for donations and help supply them!! Lots of ppl out there will happily donate books their kis have outgrown or have already read :hugs::hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Of course their not the only one who misses out. So many people are struggling in the world.
I know this feeling. Eventually it gets better.
Have your child make a list of books they might want that they see so you can save it for Xmas gifts

I never give my daughter money for the book fair, there is too much junk there(pencils, erasers and toys). I order her better and cheaper books on Amazon.

1 Like

How about getting them to write down the title of a book or two and right after school go to the library and check it out for free. If you can send a dollar or 2 for the book fair, maybe they could get a bookmark or even a junkie item. They don’t care what they buy so long as they buy a little something. And I think as parents we always feel a lot worse than the child does about it. They move on more quickly than we do.

Definitely not the only one. I hate it! We have the necessary things to survive but we don’t always get to have fun and go out and buy whatever whenever I feel like I’m always telling my kids no I can’t, not today, maybe next time, and so forth but maybe one day I’ll be able to give them everything or even just help them as adults because let’s be real my oldest is 15 so I’m running out of time to be able to ever make it up to him. :sob:

I always did as a kid we didn’t have the money. Don’t feel bad about not being able to give your child all you didn’t. Teach your child everything you wish you had learned as a child. Spend the quality time with them you wished you had a a child even if that is 30 minutes. Most children aren’t taught that the world doesn’t stop for anyone to find happiness in the little free things and you will never have an unhappy day

My kids school sends out email weeks ahead about the book fair. They also set up a community “wallet” so people cab donate to the wallet for kids who possibly can’t afford a book. They then take the money and divide it up amongst kiddos that come from poverty.

I’ll find the money for a book at the book fair. I don’t want my kids coming home with all the trinkets they also have, books only. And I would much rather give money for a book than for snack sale, smoothie sale, free dress day (our public school kids wear uniforms), and the 101 other things they ask for money for.

1 Like

My kids normally don’t get money for the book fair usually because I have no idea when it is or just because I don’t have the extra money at the time! So don’t feel bad! But when I do get to give them money they rarely get books, I think my son got smell good pencils last time :rofl:

I volunteered at my child’s book fair at her school this year and they had a jar by the register that kids could donate their change to and they used it for students who couldn’t afford books. Maybe check and see if your child’s school has the same thing :green_heart:

I roll change (dimes, nickles, etc) and he takes that. He’s in kindergarten though. Sometimes $5 or $10 can get a cool little gadget or book :woman_shrugging:

My husband and I came from very different backgrounds. I was the kid that never missed out on book fairs and he was the kid that always missed out on book fairs. He told me what his mama had done for them since they weren’t able to afford book fairs and honestly, it was genius and even though we can afford the book fair, our kids enjoy this so much more. Throughout the year I will pick up books in good condition from yard sales, thrift stores and the library. I’ll buy little random toys from the dollar store and posters from Walmart when they are on sale. (I’ve got quite the collection and in all honesty I probably haven’t spent more than $20) When we get the book fair notice from the school I get excited. I set up our living room like a little book fair. I’ll put up little jars with unsharpened pencils, I’ll put the books up on display with little price tags, set up a box with a few snacks from the pantry, I have the Mystery Poster bin, all with little price tags- all the things you’d find in a book fair. I’ll make cute little signs about how reading is important, etc. When the kids get home, I’ll give them each $20.00 in book fair money (usually it’s just old Monopoly money) and they can browse the book fair and buy what they like with their money. Once they’ve spent their $20.00, I pack everything back up and put it away until the next book fair. I always have a rotating supply because I will trade with other moms on FB or donate them. It’s kind of become a family tradition that my kids look forward too.

My kids know not to ask. I said they don’t even read the books from the library lol

4 Likes

Not just book fairs but anything really. Which is why, when im able to, when theres a special thing at school like book fairs, or ice cream sales, pizza sale, ect… I try to send double and make sure they know that if they see someone else who’s parents couldn’t afford it to ask if its ok they buy them some. Growing up i missed every book fair and every other special event that cost money and

Sometimes we can and there’s times we can’t.
But she understands if we can’t…but nothing wrong if you can’t, I never did in school but always wanted one them dog and cat posters🤣

I know it’s not the same as getting to buy at school with the other kids, but maybe you can try a trip to the library. Or check your local library to see if they have a book store, or book sales events. Our local library has a book store inside ran by volunteers that sell second hand books (many are brand new or new condition), and they are sold much cheaper than cover cost. .25, $1.50, I think the most I paid for a book there was $3.00
Could check sale sites like marketplace or take your. Child to second hand book store and let them shop.

I never could. Only once in a while when I was younger . But now that I have a child of my own, my parents give her book money every time. She gets a good amount.

I always feel horrible. But, our school “draws” winners to receive a free book, and I have noticed my children always “win”. I truly believe they just donate to those who they know are low income

2 Likes

Save a little as you go. Books are important. If you have to give up something else for awile: Fast food. Cigarettes. Nails. My mom always made sure we were able to get books from the Weekly Reader. And we had very little.

4 Likes

I go over the top because I never got to participate as a kid , and it’s expensive! It’s insane! I don’t think your littles are the only ones that miss out. There’s no way everyone can afford it!

Maybe try to make up with it with library visits and other free activities? Instead of telling them it’s because you don’t have money, maybe teach it as there are other ways to enjoy books that don’t involve money or buying books you will only read once or twice.

My older two missed out on alot when they were younger because I never had the money at the exact same time. I would try and make it up to them. With my youngest as soon as I get any flier I ask if she wants to do it then save so she can.

When I was a kid they let all students pick 1 free book

I don’t feel bad.

My daughter has so much crap (including a ton of books).

Sometimes I have $10 or $20 to send with her and sometimes I don’t.

Is probably an unpopular opinion. But they’re only young for so long.People get income tax.People spend money on cigarettes, beer nails hair.Why not take some of that and put it towards a damn book fair

I use to pet my child attend even with my last few bucks. Then I stopped cause he loves reading but all his books just sit. Why waste money if they are t going to read

The books are getting to be way too expensive to by unless you give your kids $20 to spend! Our school only did book fairs at parent teachers conferences so parents can buy them!

I also send extra money in w my kids for kids in their class who don’t have any money or can’t afford something…

Next time, depending on if your kid can read and write, have them write down book names. Have them come home and look at the local library website. If they have those books, go check them out. If you want to actually buy them but have to wait for payday or something, look on Amazon or local bookstore website and if you find them plan a day to hang out and make it special to buy those books. Just explain in a child appropriate way that other things needed to be paid for first. Food, utilities etc. Then when you get more money, then you pay for fun stuff.

I always explained to my kids that everyone is in a different place when it comes to money and thats ok. We may have a lot of money all the time for a few years while their friends may have less money and not be able to get fun stuff right when they want it and have to save for it. In a few years that friend may have money for fun stuff all the time where we might be in the position to have to save for fun things and thats ok. As much as it isn’t fun to go to a book fair where everyone is buying things and you can’t, it gives them a realistic look at money. As they get older it won’t be a shock to them if they get their paycheck and can’t just buy what they want when they want. Also it shows them you can find ways to get what you want in a different (and possibly free) way, i.e. the library.

After explaining this too, they will appreciate the next book fair when you can send them with money. They will understand and value the money, products they buy, and experience they have.

We also made it a point when we couldn’t get something when the school is selling things, such as a bookfair or bake sale, that the next time when we could buy and had extra money we would write a note to the teacher, put it in an envelope with any extra money we could spare, and give it to the teacher. In the note we would say, we have some extra money we would like to donate to a friend that would like to buy something but can’t this time around. The teacher makes sure the child or children that couldn’t afford it this time around gets something discreetly. I make sure its to the teacher because they tend to know the students home life or any struggles. Also they know which kids may not have friends that will buy them things so they dont feel alone when kids without money with them get gifts from friends and they dont. As my kids have gotten older they understand when I say we can’t do this now, but maybe in the near future. They dont push and understand that money is to keep us healthy, fed and clothed THEN for fun things that cost money because there are fun things we can do for free as well. They also try to pay it forward when they can and not just to buddies. Just yesterday they had a night at school where they can make things and sell them to make some money and learn business things. My 8 and 10 year old sold a lot and made more money then I thought they would on things they worked very hard on. They also noticed a boy in my 10 year olds class wasn’t having the same luck as them. This boy is just a class mate, not a friend or anything and they’ve barely spoken all year. Both of them took some of their money to buy his products that they had no interest in. They didn’t want to just give him money, they wanted him to feel the joy of selling something he worked hard on. My son who is 13 was selling as well. While he didn’t feel the need to do as they did with anyone he saw selling, he did try to give me money for the supplies I bought him to make his product. I told him to keep it because I was willing to help him because he’s my kid and works hard. He asked if I was sure because he wants me to know he appreciates that put money into his project.

Sorry for the novel. I just wanted to explain what processed worked for my family. Now that’s not to say it will work in all family dynamics or that my way is the only way. Thats just what I did with my kids because I want them to have a healthy relationship with money. It seems to have worked for now. I want them to know that while we may need money to survive and its nice to have, what someone has financially isn’t going to be the same as someone else and thats ok. Finances can also change and that’s ok as well. No one should be judged or pittied for their access to money. And I hope in learning that about ourselves it can be interchangeable when it comes to others as well. So don’t feel guilty. Every time you can’t afford a fun thing for your child that other children get to experience, there will be a time in the future that your child will get to experience something fun another child can’t. You’re doing your best, guilt is normal. But don’t let it get to you. Turn it into a lesson. When your child understands, guilt becomes less and you can take comfort that your child knows the reasons and can take that lesson with them as they get older and grow. Much love! You are doing great! Dont beat yourself up!

Some schools have books you can buy at the book fair to donate to another child

I was this kid. I send $20 extra dollars and give it to the teacher every year for kiddos like me and yours.

I, too, remember the going and looking and leaving empty handed. I remember the years I scrounge $.50 to get a cool eraser and I remember the years sweet teachers bought me an Animorphs or a Goosebumps and once a car poster!

I hate this unfair world and I do what I can to pay back those that did for me.

I never had money for a book fair as a child. I survived

Everything at these book fairs are so over priced anyway. Take them to the dollar store to get the same book for less than half the price

Don’t feel bad, our money is always so tight we can’t afford it anymore either :pensive::pensive:

Definitely not the only one. If you have cashapp I can send 20

Way too expensive. Most kids buy and never read.

My district gives kids a little cash secretly to spend at book fair.

I don’t feel bad. My kids have enough stuff. I’m not spending more money than it would normally cost for them not to use it. If they see something they really want I usually find it cheaper online. It’s happened once 1 of my 3 kids found a book, remembered the title & asked for it. I bought it for about half of what the fair charged.

7 Likes

As a kid that never took money to a book fair, field trip or even for ice cream day the feeling sucks, and that is the only reason I always try to give my kid money even if I’m gonna be short on something else, is probably not the best thing to do but I just hate them feeling like I did. But your child won’t be the only one

Yeah I felt this way with my first kid. Now my twins got stuff first few yrs but when I saw how they were indifferent about it I stopped. My first born always asked but I just never had extra money and we talked about it. She’s 19 now and just told her twin siblings (8yrs old) that they didn’t need expensive books and toys that they will forget about in a day anyways. I couldn’t have been more proud. Lol. You’re doing great mama!!!

I honestly think it’s not worth the money. I sent my son with 20.00 last year and he got 1 stupid book. It’s way too over priced anymore. If my son wants a book I can get it cheaper on Amazon

Nope…I didn’t but school photos either this year. They take the worst pics of our kids & expect us to pick a package & buy it. I have heaps of beautiful pics of my kids thanks. I’m over the expectation of our constant financial participation at school.

Our local thrift store sells childrens book 2 for $1… It makes me cringe to buy a 15 page paperback with 100 words or less for $18. No thanks!!

Check out Dolly Partons “imagination library” sends a free book every month to kids 5 and under(high quality, known ones) depending on your zip code

3 Likes

Nah, I’d skip buying my lunch to make sure my kid has a few bucks for book fair but she has to get at least one book and then the rest is for whatever. I usually send her with money the first day of book fair and then the last day when it’s half off. I’m so poor but also very extra with my daughter. I’m already stressing over the next kona icee day and wondering how I’ll come up with the $4 but I’ll find a way.

I remember once that happened and I made up my mind it wouldn’t again, saved a couple dollars every payday.

I was that kid. Which is why I purposely send in extra money for the teacher to split between any kids in my kids classes who may not have money to buy anything. Anything leftover is to be used to buy stuff for the classroom.

5 Likes

Never ever do mine get money for book fairs. We shop thrift shops for books. That’s where the gems are anyways. Also to make you feel better we only buy clothes from thrift shops too. I have 4 daughters if I gave them what they wanted we would live in a box on the side of the road. I’m in Canada. Too cold for that :rofl:

I can’t afford that shit especially with 3 kids in school and one getting ready to start plus a baby on the way. We can go to the library, or thrift stores etc. But also my kids never want the books, they want to buy the toys and other junk they have there. I usually tell them I would take them to local thrift stores or Walmart if the thrifts don’t have anything they like.

I always tell my kids that the prices aren’t good. And that we can get so much more at the dollar tree for better prices. That helps them get through the book fair days and I take them when I’m able, to the dollar tree.

Yea it’s hard. I always tried to save some money to let him get a few books from the fair. It was always something I never said no to if I could help it. He’s going on 17 and doesn’t read like he used to though.

Start a savings account for just book fairs. If you can put even a $1 in it every week or 2 it will add up. :heart:

Think it’s sad to hear people say their kids don’t read books anyway so why buy them. Think about it.

I don’t feel bad. The same books are at Barnes and Noble for half the price. I usually take them there after school on book fair days. My daughter came home with a $8 pencil 2 years ago that was my last straw.

As a teacher, I totally understand. They are horribly expensive.

It’s so over priced for things you can get anywhere cheaper and they put pressure on the kids to feel they must buy these items. Just Wrong!