Anyone else forget to eat?

I had my 3rd daughter a little over a month ago. Ever since then I’ve struggled with remembering to eat even with food in my sight. It’s worse when it’s just me and my kids since my husband is in the army. I make sure my kids eat but never make anything for myself. When my husband is around I make sure he is eating and he usually makes me eat with him. He is now asking why I can’t remember to eat and how I forget. I’m not sure how to answer him other than I just forget… Any advice??

17 Likes

Set alarm and have a snack. Force it if you have to. Need to be careful if it’s just you and the kiddos. They need you strong and healthy!
Best of luck

Survival mode. I’m 2 years out from my last born and still in survival mode. I find myself eating at night when things are quite and children are in bed.

14 Likes

It can also be a sign/symptom of Neurodivergency ( adhd).

I do the same, either forget or food just isn’t appetizing. My issue though is overeating in one sitting at night. I heard somebody call it snake meal haha :smile: but now I struggle with my weight. I lose weight when I eat 3 meals and snacks. It’s sweet that your husband cares though. For me I think it’s just how much energy (mental and physical) I put into feed others and not having enough left to be bothered to feed myself

Yep all the time. But because I’m breastfeeding I make sure I make time to eat

Sometimes I go a whole day without eating because I’m just so busy and go go go lol finally when I get to sit down I’ll start to get hungry then eat

1 Like

Can you try some shakes? That way you’re getting some nutrition at least and you can eat it while you do everything else? Sometimes we get caught up and actually forget. But your health is important :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I rarely eat during the day but at night I’m starving lol I’m trying to push myself to eat as well but it doesn’t happen for some reason

Since having my son I don’t really sit down and eat. I love cooking and make great meals but I eat while I cook or grab something to take a few bites of. Every week I cut cucumber, peppers, carrots , watermelon , grapes for easy snacks.

1 Like

I’m the same way… I only remember to eat maybe once every other day… my father was worried about me… but my doctor said we really don’t need a much food as we were always made to believe… and if I don’t feel unhealthy from it… it should be fine. Just keep up on vitamins.

1 Like

I think it was around my 3rd when I started forgetting to eat too… it’s been 19 years!:sweat_smile: I try to have a banana or something simple before the kids get up but then I’m not ready to sit and eat until supper time and then I’ll have something after they go to bed​:woman_shrugging:t3:

I had this issue to. I’m actually still struggling with it but now I’m forcing myself to have an eating schedule due to now having kidney and liver issues from not eating…

Please take care of yourself we are very important in our children’s lives

I’m a single mother of 4 children and I hardly eat. Even if I remember I end up loosing my appetite because too much time has gone by preparing meals for my kids. I drink the Boost protein shakes as well as taking a multivitamin, so at least I’m getting nutrients.

Only that you’re not alone. Everyone is so mad at me for not eating. Not only do I not have time, but I forget AND when I do finally have a moment I can’t even bring myself to bother.

3 Likes

If you’re army check out the army wives clubs for support or army community center

Yup. Always joked childbirth was always my best diet

Yup daily! I’m a mom of 6 little boys and since my older 5 are in school I don’t need to cook. My baby only nurses/I pump so I’m always trying to squeeze life into the downtime from that. The only time I realize I’m actually really hungry is being settled down like sitting in the car. I swear that is when I eat the most driving around :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

I don’t do anything, I’m surprised I’m still alive :joy:

I hope I get this! I could lose the baby weight. But I find breast feeding makes me just want to eat eat eat

I’ve had this problem for years. I genuinely forget to eat until about 5pm when I start feeling shaky and sick.

I think all busy mums are the same everybody else comes first, remember when mine were babies they may be asleep, but the minute the dinner was on the table they woke up and that was the end of the dinner for me.

Tell him to take on more the mental and physical load of parenting so your brain can focus on your own needs.

You have to make yourself a priority to be in good shape. Esp if he’s away and the kids really only have you around caring for them. So however you can get in your nutrition do it. Military wife as well and my spouse is gone a lot and will be u til he retires but when he’s around he’s a truly active and present parent taking the load off of me. Bc if we don’t prioritize my well-being then I can’t be the one taking care of everything when he’s not here.

Set alarms . That’s what I do lol

1 Like

I have a 4,6,7,8 yr old . Work fulltime and I do this all the time. My stomach will hurt then I’m like oh crap i need to eat something. I’ve been that way forever though :woman_shrugging:t3:

When my husband was killed, I couldn’t eat my mother kept saying you have to eat, but I just couldn’t. My psychiatrist told me that your body will never starve itself that when it’s ready it will eat again my suggestion to you is that you get something like ensure put it in the fridge and then when your kids sit down for a meal, at least once a day sit down and pour yourself an ensure you’re getting all your nutrients that you need for the day. 

Survival mode. I never ate through the day and then at night ate soooooooo much. Horrible so I gained weight

1 Like

Mom brain is real :sweat_smile: as long as you’re not starving you’re good! Maybe try to make it a point to eat one meal with all the kiddos a day that way you know you’re all fed?

2 Likes

stress & being overwhelmed will do that…

I never eat during the day anymore and that started out of habit when I had 3 toddlers because I was just always too busy and forgot to eat too. But it’s not a good habit to get in to. I was always doing stuff for them and the house and by the time I remembered I haven’t ate anything all day it would be dinnertime and I would make my plate and as soon as I went to sit down to my cold dinner, one kid or another was either wanting more or all done. And I would always leave my plate on the table planning to go eat it but I never did. Not eating is part if tge reason I would be so exhausted. When you don’t eat you don’t have energy and when you dont have energy you get depressed and unhealthy. You have got to start remembering to eat. I’ve just learned through the years to graze on the foods that I’m making the kids. Feed yourself before you feed them, while your making their plates, if you can. You don’t want to start eating only at night time either because thats the easiest way to start gaining weight and not be able to get rid of it. If you don’t eat all day and just eat dinner your metabolism gets messed up and it tur s really slow. Eating only at night puts your body in survival mode and it starts holding onto the fat and calories because it’s preparing for starvation periods. So you want to eat breakfast everyday if you can. That’s really such an important meal. Unless your doing a fasting diet but that’s whole other thing.

Are you truly forgetting or are you putting it off until you’ve basically skipped the meal entirely? I do the 2nd thing at times…it’s a behavior that I need to prioritize improving. Can’t pour from an empty cup, right? If that’s not the case for you and you are truly forgetting, your bodies not giving you hunger queues I would suggest discussing with a dr. Try making a rule to eat when you are feeding your family, or set reminders on your phone. Taking care of yourself is equally if not more important than caring for others. Good luck Mama :heart:

First been their done that !!
Second get your sugars checked when they get low low you are repelled by food could be low blood sugars that what I went threw when my son was born insulin resistance is also a thing :confounded: try orange juice and peanut butter even if you don’t want it

Sometimes you have to force your appetite or rediscover it. Being overwhelmed, or just kind of over it in general, can lead to meals being skipped. That can also lead to like unnecessary headaches, irritability, and health problems in the long run. Are you taking a medication that’s keeping you from being hungry or too much caffeine…? that’s also a factor. 

I mean your obviously not hungry if your forgetting so I don’t see a problem :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

No advice. I have three daughters and when they were babies I would forget to eat or just had no appetite. The problem resolved itself…unfortunately!

Too much to do to slow down long enough to realize you haven’t eatten.

Ive found i am simply burnt out on cooking every single night. And the absolute last thing i want is to sit down and eat a nice filling meal after sweating in the kitchen and fighting kids and still have to fight kids asleep with a full tummy when i would be relaxing and letting my food settle trying to prepare myself for bed too… so with my husband being out of town working for the first time im years . I made some spaghetti 2 days ago ive been eating that for the last 2 days when i want a bite of something and ive been throwing chicken nuggets and pizza at my kids for the last 2 night and ive gotten so much crap done not worrying about what to make for dinner every single night something new and fight with them to eat it. ive remembered to eat when i make a little something for my kids

1 Like

This has been an issue my entire life. I was teased a lot for it by my family. As an adult I’ve learned that it’s a classic ADHD symptom.