Anyone else get overwhelmed and discouraged?

Has any Mom felt Discouraged or an overwhelmed Mom? I am a mom to a two year old and a one year old, some days feel like I can climb over mountains and others I feel so overwhelmed and exhausted. I don’t know how to get out of this rut. I am married with a wonderful partner who helps consistently. I just get so down on myself and life and im posting this because people (family) when I try too console in them look at me and my life and say I am lucky/ blessed but they don’t fully understand and walk in my shoes. Please help an tired overwhelmed mama get through this discouraged phase.

15 Likes

All part of parenting. We all feel that way sometimes. I love the show Working Moms, because it is a realistic portrayal of being a modern mom. It’s ok to feel overwhelmed, there is nothing in life that you will do that is more important. Take it one day at a time and make sure you get a break from time to time,its good for you and its good for the kids :heart:

That’s why I enjoy nap times lol

This needs to be normalized and validated. Also very frustrating when you seek support and people tell you to count your blessings. You can feel both blessed AND overwhelmed at the same time. We are humans and can have complex emotions. Sometimes I will literally start conversations with I’m not seeking solutions, just need this to be validated lol

9 Likes

It’s hard but it’s worth it the early years and teenage years are hard I went through the early years with my child’s father and still did most by myself now I am doing the teenage years alone but I look at my child and wouldn’t change anything that I have done to raise her she is an amazing kid

It’s normal to feel that way, unfortunately older generations where taught to keep those feelings to themselves so they will not acknowledge that it’s normal to feel blessed and overwhelmed at the same time. I am currently going thru the same. We have three boys 8,4,1 it’s so fun to watch them grow and develop but also so easy to become overwhelmed. The only that helps me is a consistent schedule and keeping the clutter and mess to a minimum the messier my house is the more overwhelmed I feel. I try to tidy up every night so I wake up to a clean house.

relax breath take a moment it is rough with 2 so close in age i have two that are 15 mths apart . but they are now11 and 12. i had melt down moments.

Blankets or candle for everyone. Quick thoughtful and easy. Or a Christmas cookie tin can…

Can you find a little time for yourself? Maybe a hobby or something? Even if it’s just Journaling with coffee. You need date nights…me too. Get your hair done or paint your nails. I feel like sometimes we get so wrapped up in our title as Mom and wife that we forget who we were before. Remember your favorite music and have a dance party with your kids.

1 Like

Yup! Thats part of being a mom

1 Like

You can be blessed, lucky, and also overwhelmed.

Find a support group and welcome to momhood . It never ends so buckle up.

Your feelings are entirely valid…don’t share them with people who invalidate them. I am a SAHM (4 kids aged 15, 11, 11 & 4) with a very supportive husband, and I also struggle with feelings of being overwhelmed. Acknowledge your feelings. Speaking from experience, it only gets worse if you beat yourself up for feeling that way, or when you try not to feel that way. When u need to talk, do so with someone who will listen and empathize. PM me if u want. You got this!!

That’s toxic positivity from family and friends.
Though you may be blessed in so many ways, that does not deter the fact that there are days you and we (moms) feel lost, overwhelmed, overly tired and touched out. You have every right to feel those things and they are valid.
On those hard days, do something kind for your self. Have a cup of your favorite tea, take a bubble bath (I know on those days I surely just want to jump in bed) maybe just sit down and take a deep breath after bedtime alone in a quiet space. do something just to remind yourself you are human, more then a mama and wife and you deserve grace and understanding and room to feel all the things, good and bad.

Been there,don’t that!it will get better!

Do you take time for yourself ? Waking earlier for a nice quiet coffee…yoga or exercise ? A walk? A meal out on your own ? Date night ?

Look at what you have remember to be grateful for it. What are you unhappy about? Deal with that

It’s very normal but have you been checked for Postpartum depression? Good luck Momma, you’ve got this.

1 Like

You’re already on the right track bc you are self aware and are looking within for the strength. Everybody has good days and bad days. Some people weeks. Some even longer. Break the monotony and get outside. That is what always helps me. I force myself to make a plan. Nothing heavy. Skip morning routine (forget those dishes and laundry, you are a great mom and you are allowed to LEAVE IT) and leave EARLY for a state park or paved hike or even just a nature observation area within an hour of your home. When hubbz leaves for work at 7, I will be gone by 7:30 with my stroller and/or backpack carrier already packed and strap those babies in for a day trip. Get into nature and look for birds, waterfalls, trees, plants in your area and learn their names. Bring a fanny pack with snacks, milk, and a refillable water bottle. Breathe in the clean air. Look around you to see this beautiful earth. It helps me look inside of me to see what beauty I possess. Break your routine without a thought. What you’re doing has got you in a rut. Do something different. You’ve got this.

Absofuckinglutely!! You’re 110% not alone mama♥️
When’s the last time you had YOU time? When we burn that candle at both ends trying to take care of our kids, partners, homes, grocery shopping, appointments, etc… without remembering to take time for YOU… everything has a tendency to build up and become completely overwhelming and overstimulating, pretty quickly. Especially with your babies being so young, your hormones are still trying to get back to more normal levels. Have you reached out to your OB or PCP about post partum? PPDepression, PPPsychosis, & PPAnxiety are all very real. While sometimes, we’re able to navigate these feelings ourselves, sometimes we need help too. & that’s absolutely okay♥️ if you feel yourself slipping further down that rabbit hole, to where it’s harder to see the light. Please, don’t ever be scared or ashamed to reach out. This book is a great read, & very insightful. Helped a lot to explain things when I felt like I was gonna lose my marbles.

1 Like

We’re all tired and discouraged .

I have a 14, 13 and 12 year old… the overwhelm doesnt stop! I swear they think i am superwoman these days… i swear they make more plans with people whom dont have a license or gas money. But i get through the overwhelm and always have by having a routine. I am criticized for it often but it works for me, a routine. My 12 and 13 year old go to bed at 8:00pm they can read for awhile but they are in their rooms by 8pm. My 14 year old is in his room by 9pm. My husband and I need our time at the end of the day. They ALL have chores, which are to be done Daily. Even when my kids were little they had chores…they cleaned up after themselves. As harsh as this is some things you have to let go of. My house is clean do not get me wrong… but i used to spend hours and hours cleaning. Now on saturdays we all take an hour and we all take a room. Then ban it is done. Meal planning also was a huge help for me with the overwhelm. I knew what i was making and could just prep for it. The overwhelm never goes away, you just learn how to decrease it. I have 3 kids, 3 dogs and a husband. I work an actual job, and I run my own business. Routines and schedules help me A LOT! Just remember you got this mama!

2 Likes