Anyone else have a child who struggles to gain weight?

My daughter has been underweight her whole life. About to turn 18 and finally made it onto the chart lines at barely over 100 lbs. As long as she eats and she is healthy she will be fine.

One of mine like this still & she is 16. She’s perfectly healthy just low weight. She does have ibs but that didn’t come into play until a few years ago.

My son is the same way, plus he’s not walking yet at 14 months. I’d suggest a new pediatrician. Ours isn’t concerned at all. You can’t compare one kid to another all the time

If she is healthy, let it be. Don’t force a healthy child gain/lose weight

1 Like

I use Nido for both of my kids its a formula made for 1-3 year olds and another one for 3-5 year olds.

Sounds like ur child has. A high metabolism that’s ok my kids are that way too my hubby still has a high metabolism

If she’s happy and healthy no issues I’d say tell that dr to shove it up his ass. My 6 yr old only weighs just over 40lbs but healthy

She could just have a high metabolism, that’s all.

I had skinny kids just start like some oatmeal and applesauce grits and eggs some potatoes do some southern food and alot of fruits and they will shut up!!!

Find a new pediatrician! Your child is fine all children develop weight and other things at their own speed as long as they are not losing weight and are eating you should have nothing to worry about my daughter is almost 22 months and is only 21 lbs she is 100000% healthy

5 Likes

My son had his 15 month check up today and weighed 20.4 lbs. Not much more than your child. I think as long as she is eating enough and drinking enough and growing it should be fine. Just make sure her weight and height stays consistent as she does. Being smaller than other kids doesn’t mean she’s unhealthy. But if your doctor is concerned then make sure to listen and take their advice. You can only do as much as you can do! As long as she’s healthy who cares if shes a little small. Is she hitting all her milestones?

All babies grow and develop at different stages all 3 off mine did my youngest was very small and never seemed to put on any weight she was always smaller than kids her age but now she is 22 very healthy and of a normal size and build keep doing what your doing all will be fine in the end good luck lots of hugs to you and your family

1 Like

Each baby is different. My youngest is 18 months and almost 21 lbs, she’s smaller then my other girls were. As long as she’s eating, drinking, pooping/peeing, and meeting other milestones, I wouldn’t stress

2 Likes

That’s just an “average” pediatricians go by. I can’t see why her being a few (2) pounds under average would be warranted as concerning. Maybe seek a second opinion or a new pediatrician. You’re doing a great job :heart:

1 Like

Don’t feel defeated! Just give her food she likes. She’ll be fine. I used to be a pediatric nurse. We learned when children would not eat certain foods they might be allergic to them. Does she like ice cream!
When she’s a teenager she’ll probably want to lose weight! Can’t win. Lol

1 Like

Don’t stress that pediatrician follow up with a second opinion my daughter is only on the 9th percentile for awhile they were definitely concerned but my pediatrician said when she is ready to ggain she will! Your doing a great job!

1 Like

My oldest was put on pediasure or carnation instant breakfast to help gain weight cause he was always underweight as an infant an toddler… he is currently 14 and would never guess he ever had any issues putting weight on… good luck mama… you got this…

If she’s eating, sleeping, using the bathroom normal, playing etc… with no issues I wouldn’t be concerned! Your the mother who knows best. Your daughter isnt even 2 pounds shy of what the Dr wanted, therefore I personally wouldn’t be concerned.

1 Like

My 5 year old weighs 37 pounds. Her doctor is fine with it. She eats lots of different foods, she just doesn’t gain weight. She was small at birth so her doctor said she’s just a smaller kid. She’s average on height but really low on the weight. We have tried everything but it is what it is

1 Like

My daughter is 13 months old and only weighs 16 pounds. Leaving her in the 7th percentile. Her pediatrician always reassures us that her weight is normal for her own unique body and that she is petite. I’ve never had a pediatrician put it that way to me. In fact my pediatrician is always assuring me that my daughter has a high metabolism and that just bc she isn’t gaining as much weight as other children it doesn’t mean she isn’t a normal healthy weight. I’m no pediatrician so I can’t tell you for sure what is right and what isn’t. But if you feel your child is perfectly healthy I would definitely get a second opinion. You don’t want to force feed your kid more than they are already eating if they are already eating as much as they can get in.

Switch Drs . Your the mom . Feel confident in yourself and know what you are doing you best . She may just made to be skinny and that’s ok . If she’s eating Good and is healthy then she ok but another Dr is ok if you want another option

If you think it may genetic, then follow your gut. Thankfully with my daughter my pediatrician was very supportive and knew our families and made suggestions…a few is not a big deal…now if it was like 6+ lb difference at that age i could see there being concern but all in all, its better than being overweight…my daughter was in the 15th and under percentile up until this year…shes 8…i was more concerned than her pediatrician and gave her the pediacare drinks that did put weight on her but she didnt need them, my mom and her other grandmother were tiny tiny, as in both 10-20 under 100lbs the day they got married and not becuase they didnt eat or weren’t healthy… both families’ women were teeny tiny like size 2 at the biggest until they hit menopause…dont worry so much about it…the fact you are worried makes you a great mom and shows how much you really care for her…just keep doing your best and making sure shes getting the nutrition she needs, thats all you can do…GL momma! Lots of hugs and good vibes being sent your way​:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

1 Like

They said that about all four of my kids and they were fine just small for their age. I used to give my daughter a milk with cereal mix in her bottle/sippy cup every morning. It made me feel better knowing she was getting something high in nutrients. They also recommended pedicure or the nesquick Kids Breakfast Drink which is much cheaper.

My oldest was 19 lbs on her 2nd birthday, not a premie, no health issues. I would let them test for issues because I’d rather be safe than sorry. Keep in mind that the growth charts they use are averages.

1 Like

Some kids are just tiny, my 11 year old is still tiny, my other 3 have always been on the higher side for height and weight was average. My 3rd child is just very petite.

My nephew was like that his doctor told my sister let him eat what ever he wants he looked like he was anorexic at 5 years old today he is 265 pounds and is over 6 feet tall… i would get a second opinion

My 12 yr old nephew only weighs 73 lbs which is only 33 lbs heavier than my 4 yr old son. He’s on pediasure himself.

My daughter was 45 lbs when she started 7th grade both her daughters were under 17 lbs at 12 months her oldest is almost 8 and still only weighs 31 lbs so don’t let them bully you they always tried to with me but she was healthy and meet all her mile stones on time if not early and BTW my son was huge he was 6ft in 5th grade and 150 lbs so kids are just different

My brother stayed so tiny until his junior year of hs. Some kiddos just aren’t made to be big or average size.

My son was always really skinny as a baby. His pediatrician said, when he was a toddler, let him eat whenever or however much he wants. He is almost 12 and is still super skinny, he’s in the 17% for weight and 50% for height. He eats pretty good and healthy. Sometimes kids are just skinny.

I was underweight my whole life, turned out to be severe celiac had done some intense damage to my digestive tract, I could eat non stop and was still constantly mal nourished. I’m sure you’re doing everything you can. So long as she still has plenty of energy and seems happy I wouldn’t worry too much about weight.

Remember we come in all shapes and sizes as long as she’s eating healthy she may just be a smaller person

A lot of it is genetic. I honestly feel like medical care is getting worse and worse. Especially towards disabled moms, teen moms, new moms etc. As long as your child is eating healthy, and hits their curve its fine. My little brother was 35 lbs in 5th grade. He was just small. Every kid is different.

My boy eats like a pig and doesn’t gain an ounce. Been like that his whole life. He is 15 now. We all work out to maintain a healthy body. He laughs at us when we invite to go out for a jog. He tells us " come back when you are on my level".

One of my grandsons is a skinny one. Not a big eater. Give multi vitamin make sure stays hydrated. He is also a grazer.

No child gains weight at the same rate. Your child will gain weight when they are supposed to. You can supplement with ensure.

You’re fine. Kids fine. Ditch the Doc if being a jerk like that. Switch the kid to Budweiser…
puts weight on me like CRAZY! Just a thought.