Anyone experience this?

I am a mother of a 12 year old girl. She is the light of my life. Recently over the past year I have had symptoms similar that I experienced postpartum after having her. I have a crippling fear that something bad will happen to her. Whether it be by someone, something or myself. I drive myself crazy with worry. Anxiety. What if I accidentally harm her? Do other moms experience this? At 12 years old I would never have imagined having these thoughts. I do my best to clear them out of my head. It is making me depressed and I canā€™t just live in the moment. From what Iā€™ve read itā€™s a form of OCD and categorized as violent thoughts. Iā€™m on an antidepressant and anxiety meds but they donā€™t seem to help too much. I just want to enjoy my life and raising my daughter and being present and happy. Help?! Anyone else experience this??
57 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Anyone experience this? - Mamas Uncut

I struggle with this and my daughter is 13.
When she is sick I LOSE my mind thinking all the things that can wrong. Itā€™s horrible. I feel your pain.

1 Like

I never thought of it like this but my daughter is 5 and Iā€™m like thisā€¦ Iā€™m terrified of all the what ifsā€¦

7 Likes

I struggle with this- mainly with my 12 year old son.
I have a 13, 12, 7 and 1 year old and I worry ton!

1 Like

I have a 9 year old and worry when he gets sick :sweat:

1 Like

Get your hormones checked please.

6 Likes

Omg!! Im the same way i litterally just started thinking this way within the past month or so. Ive never had any issue up until than. Some days arw fine and other days is full blown attacks and i have no idea why. I feel a little better knowing im not alone :disappointed::disappointed: Anxiety sucks for sure šŸ¤¦

5 Likes

Please find a medical professional to talk to, it can really help.

And just as a precautionary mention, please ensure thereā€™s no one around your daughter subconsciously adding to these fears you haveā€¦ I once ignored feelings similar to this about someone I simply couldnā€™t believe possible because I thought they were ā€œfamilyā€ and thought I was just being paranoid, and just didnā€™t put everything together in time.

And the only solid and most accurate ā€œsignā€ I had was my intuition I kept ignoring in fear I was overreacting. :heart:

9 Likes

I had this when I had my son - intrusive thoughts - like what if I drop the baby when Iā€™m walking down the stairs or what if I spill my tea on the baby ! They were the mild ones ! Itā€™s horrible - I donā€™t have any advice for you - but just know you are not alone!

5 Likes

Every day of my damn life since my daughter was born

Iā€™m the exact same ā€¦ I have OCD and anxiety ā€¦ but I also lost a son when he was 3 months old so that has made me even worse in thinking how fast something to happen to one of my other kids ā€¦ my daughter had a clot and bleeding in her brain 4yrs ago and I thought it was happening again ā€¦ (Iā€™m not medicated for my anxiety) every little thing would stress me out

5 Likes

Ive struggled with this for yrs. Single mom 2 sons. I had mental breakdown when my oldest moved out youngest is still here at home. I had to get current with psych dr. for this. Im being treated for panic, bipolar disorder. Alot of mental issues have unhealthy attatchments ive always had them in some form. Go to counseling/psych as soon as possible is my advice it can get harder

2 Likes

I feel like itā€™s a mom thing. Our lives are now to protect our children and ourselves so we can be there for our children. It could also be separation anxiety. I had it bad as a kid and didnā€™t recognize it to be anxiety until now as an adult. Iā€™d always be worried about my parents like dying in car accidents or something bad happening and now as a mom I am in constant state of worry for my kids and for myself. Itā€™s not fun. Therapy and meds help but I still just believe itā€™s a mom thing now. :confused:

3 Likes

Every single day so I totally relate to you about this. Iā€™m not on any medications because they do NOT help at all and actually make me way worse but Iā€™ve been looking into cbd oils or edibles to help.

1 Like

Check up with the doctor and with your psychiatrist. Possibly start therapy as well if you arenā€™t doing it yet.

1 Like

Yeap i did, but i had to work on myself to rid those thoughts. Its also cause well for me she is an only child and cause i have severe mental health issues anyway she is all i have and i need her as she is my support and my only friend. It does get better, my girl is 16 now and im not as bad as i use to be.

1 Like

Get off the internet and call your Doctor

1 Like

Pmdd Google it saved my life figuring out what was wrong with me

1 Like

The meds could be making it worse have u been on them awhile did u gain any weight since starting them

How would you accidentally harm your 12 year old daughter cause if you are thinking about harming her thatā€™s not a accident by any means

1 Like

I have anxiety and I have those thoughts everyday since my son was born.

1 Like

I had intrusive thoughts when I was pregnant. They were really hard for me to handle because the things that I would think were obviously things Iā€™d never do but it still scared me thinking I was crazy. I went on medication and saw a therapist. I told her all the scary thoughts no matter how violent and I cried. She had me purposely think those thoughts until anxiety didnā€™t attach to them anymore. It was hard at first but soon they stopped because I wasnā€™t scared of them anymore. I knew they werenā€™t who I was but my mind was tricking me. It will get better!

2 Likes

Get down on ur knees and pray offer ur feelings up to Jesus,It will help you

5 Likes

See you doctor,cell him/ her what you have said.cMaybe meds need to be adjusted or you are having an adverse reaction. Best wishes

3 Likes

Iā€™m a man but I know what your feeling

1 Like

Speak to your doctor right away. Antidepressants can have the opposite effect of what theyā€™re supposed to if youā€™re not on the correct one or the correct dose. They can cause you to get more depressed, become violent, etc. When my doctor put me on Prozac years ago I started having very violent dreams and thoughts
And was EXTREMELY irritable. When she switched me to something else it all stopped and I started feeling much better.

6 Likes

Those are intrusive thoughts and yes, thatā€™s an ocd symptom which is a comorbidity or symptom of anxiety.
I had them after my third child and I swear it was related to hormones because after my daughter weaned they basically went away.
Have your hormones checked.

1 Like

Have your thyroid checked

2 Likes

Go to ur doctor. Not Facebook physicians

5 Likes

Seek professional help ASAP. Donā€™t wait for the million different diagnosis, treatment plans or well intended recommendations from social media :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I had similar feelings about my youngest son. I was directed to send him my angels to protect him. It helped.

1 Like

Yes
Sadly as Moma bears we will always have those same fears and anxieties

2 Likes

I have a 10 year old son and I had trouble getting pregnant went through fertility issues. I have an incredible fear of something happening to him. I canā€™t even stand for him to have a cold it literally makes me physically sick. I donā€™t take any meds for it but sometimes I think I probably should.

1 Like

Ur meds maybe causing this talk to ur doctor n therapist

7 Likes

I plead the Blood of Jesus over their lives when those thoughts come in. I also pray prayers of blessings over them. Being a Mama is tough. Fear is a thief of joy. :heart:

1 Like

First, for yourself, if youā€™re taking medication for anxiety and depression, and they arenā€™t working, go see your doctor. Have your dosage adjusted or your medication changed. If you have those diagnoses and are taking medication that isnā€™t working, youā€™re not helping yourself or anyone else. I know everyone says our kids come first, always, we canā€™t take care of our children if weā€™re not also taking care of ourselves.

Secondly, I believe that we all feel that way about our children all of the time. It just varies in intensity, depending on the situation, and if you are already struggling with anxiety and depression, that can heighten it.

There is always going to be ā€œwhat ifā€. You will think that regardless of her being 3 or 30. You have to teach her safety and boundaries. Teach her what to do if say, someone tries to tell her youā€™re hurt and theyā€™re there to pick her up and take her to you. Teach her what to do if she believes she is being followed when sheā€™s at the mall with her friends. Make sure she knows what forced affection is and teach her that itā€™s okay for her to say no whenever she is uncomfortable, even if the person she is saying no to is you.

The only thing we can do is teach and guide our children and do our best to protect them. Unfortunately we canā€™t control everything and everyone.

I know you said youā€™re on medication for depression and anxiety, so Iā€™m going to assume youā€™ve seen a medical professional for this issues, but I would suggest seeing a therapist so that you have someone to talk to about the issues who is trained to help you work through those issues.

1 Like

Youā€™re not on the right ones thenā€¦ tell whomever prescribed them how you feel. My father once had a new BP medication prescribed and when mixed with his current antidepressants it caused him to have thoughts of killing my mother. They didnā€™t find out until after they put him in a hospital for a whileā€¦ so be safe and good luck. And if you tell whoever they are not working Youā€™re having bad anxiety and thoughts and they do nothing find a new doctor! They need to work with you not against you!

1 Like

I have three teenagers and I worry sick on a daily basis that something could happen to them. My oldest is 19 and when sheā€™s out I still worry until sheā€™s home and sheā€™s safe. I donā€™t think this is abnormal.
What would concern me though is you say you have a fear that you yourself may hurt her in some way. Those are not normal thoughts and you should talk to a professional asap.

2 Likes

Iā€™m the same,my son is 17 now. I have horrific ocd thoughts

The anxiety meds it can increase anxiety you need to find the right one that works for you talk to your doctor also hormonal changes can affect the effectiveness of medicine

Take her to a doctorā€¦ Get her a counselorā€¦ Being a teenager can be hard, she might feel more comfortable opening up to someone who isnā€™t a parent!

A homoeopath would help you with your symptoms

Inform your therapist, It may just be an adjustment needed in your meds.

All moms are going to have these fearsā€¦its natural. I pray over my sons as they sleep that no harm will come to them and they will be safe

Tell youā€™re doctor you may need to be upped or put on different meds

1 Like

I know the exact fear that you are talking about. Thank you for being brave and posting this. I thought I would get locked up in a mental hospital if I said my thoughts out loud during PPD.
Definitely speak with your psychiatrist.
Your brain is like a computer, when you enter a different code (medication), you get a completely different image (thoughts).

It could be a side effect of your medication. Oddly enough a lot of medicines give side effects similar to what they aim to treat.

2 Likes

If I may suggest this: Ask your family doctor to do the DNA mouth swab on you to see what kinds of meds work best for your genetic make up. If you have been on these meds for a little while, they may not be working as well anymore, so they may need adjust your dosage and usage. Iā€™m sorry you are feeling these types of ways. Understand, it is not youā€¦it is a mental health disorder that so many people struggle with, myself included. Iā€™m sorry you are having some of the thoughts you are having. They are never easy. Please, ask you Family Doctor or therapist about the Genetic Swab. It literally saved one of my friends lives :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Donā€™t go looking for an alternative way to adress these feelings just yet. Have your meds assessed asap. The wrong meds or wrong combination can trigger these anxious and even dark thoughts. I know personally. At one point I couldnā€™t go anywhere near stairs or escalators. I thought my kids would fall and die. Meds can do things they shouldnā€™t do if they arnt the right ones for you and this can happen soon after starting or even randomly after being on them for a long time

My best guess is that something happened to you at her age that you probably blocked out and is your subconscious that remembers and thatā€™s whatā€™s causing your worry.

Little kids, little worries. Big kids, big worries.
I worry about my children too. Son 25, daughter 16. It doesnā€™t stop. Bad things happen all the time and itā€™s a pretty scary world sometimes. But all you can do is give your child the correct information so they make good choices and try to relax. Let them enjoy the world and all new experiences. Let them be happy and have a great life.

I have the same and my psychiatrist said they are called intrusive thoughts. I have finally found a great combination of meds but occasionally still have those thoughts.

Itā€™s a form of ocd called Intrusive thoughts. When you have anxiety it makes it 10 times worse . I suggest you read as much as you can about it , if youā€™ve been those meds for awhile i would switch . Theyā€™re not working for you . Talk to your dr about it .

Get back to your doctor quick your meds need adjusting tell him the truth about what your feeling s

You love her so much ā€¦that the bad thoughts are things you would not want to happenā€¦I was never on any meds and I had these thoughts also ā€¦just pray that all will be well ā€¦

Therapy. And I live in a state where medical marijuana is legal and itā€™s the only thing that helps me :woman_shrugging: