Anyone find out their baby stopped growing?

Anyone have their 20 week scan to find your baby isn’t growing well and is too small? Her heart rate was 140. she hardly moved during the ultrasound. She’s laying face down sideways. Not sure if her position matters at this stage or not. The doctor wants to give her four more weeks to catch up before any choices are made. I haven’t gained any weight yet either.

15 Likes

My son was super tiny. I didn’t gain any weight until right before he was born. He was barely 5lbs at birth and now he’s 23 and 6ft :person_shrugging:t2:. Some babies are just small.

3 Likes

My son stopped growing and I was still able to have him at 39 weeks. On the dot. He turns 6 soon and is still lowest percentile for weight but top percentile for height! Built like a little string bean. I agree with the comment above so long as your doctor isn’t worried don’t sweat it too much. :slight_smile: worst comes to worst they’ll set a date to induce you a little early or they’ll keep you in hospital just to monitor things to be safe.

3 Likes

Babies will measure big/small at different times during pregnancy. Babies will have growth spurts at different times

If your doctor doesn’t seem worried then try your best not to worry (I know easier said than done).

5 Likes

My granddaughter was measuring small and there was marginal cord insertion. She was born a month early and weighed 4 lbs. she is still tiny but growing and she is developing right on track if not ahead.

2 Likes

My second baby had an issue with his cord and wasnt growing. I made it to 38 weeks and he was just fine. Tiny but overall fine.

1 Like

I agree. My nugget was 5 lbs. The doctor was on me all the time about gaining weight. He started giving me candy bars when I would come in. lol I couldn’t eat. My heart burn was so bad, all I could was eat salads.
She’s 11 now and almost as tall as I am and just a spunky. Breathe for now momma, you have a life time of worrying about your nuggets yet to go.

2 Likes

They said this about my granddaughter and took her a month early she was born at 6 lbs 2oz, my daughter inlaw had gestational diabetes and said her baby was huge and induced her the baby weighed 7lbs 11oz, the scans aren’t always 100% accurate, your baby’s heart rate is good I wouldn’t worry too much the doctor doesn’t seem to worried, next time you go for a scan drink something icy cold beforehand it will wake her up

My youngest I had lots of complications had a bleed second trimester between sack and uterus and a low lying placenta so random bleeding and he tried to come early so steroid shots I’m lucky I held him for as long as I did he stopped growing around 33 weeks doc waited and at 38 weeks I had to be induced i was also preped for c section just in case i bled during labour I was on pelvic rest since 28 and also multiple appointments ultrasounds he just stopped growing he was born 5lbs 12oz like he was so Itty bitty he now a healthy 15 month old he’s just tiny like he steadily grows and stays at the 10-15 percentile

I measured small/under with all my pregnancies and they said I would have small babies about 6 pounds. baby 1 was almost 10 pounds… the other 2 were over 8 pounds. They said I hid them well. My cousin measured big and they said she would have a big baby, her baby was smaller than all of mine, they said she just had a lot of water

My younger 2 always measured really small to where the doc was concerned and I had to do monthly/bi weekly growth scans. Their growth was always minimal to not much at all. They were both born full term at 6lbs, they’re 6 and 9 now but they are tiny, one has a growth hormone deficiency, always at lower percentile. Hopefully with the strong heart beat she’ll be fine and just maybe on the little side. Hope everything works out

Some babies are just on the small side. They actually induced me early with our first because he was small and they “wanted him on the outside rather than in.”

I wouldn’t worry about weight gain on yourself- I’ve had 4 pregnancies and at most I’ve gained 60lbs and at my lowest I gained 12lbs!

My sister in laws did. She gave birth at 24 weeks. Her daughter weighed 13.8 oz

My first daughter was very small I had a c section at 38 weeks and she was 5lbs 7oz and 17 1/2 inches long she’s 13 and is as tall as I am

My daughter stopped growing at 31 weeks. Full term Wright 3 lb 13 oz fully developed gained 17 lbs in 9 months

That’s what the heart rate should be, I wouldn’t worry as the doctor isn’t worrying

1 Like

Yes. Was induced due to this at 37 weeks. He was 4 lbs 4 oz and only 17” long. The entire NICU team was present for delivery as they planned to move him there after delivery. He was tiny but mighty and we went home 24 hours later! Super healthy, just teeny tiny :slight_smile: big hugs. I feel where you’re at right now. Try to stay off Google and just follow drs orders. I had to drive an hour away twice a week for ultrasounds and NSTs. Hang in there mama!

While pregnant they said my daughter was in the 2 percentile which means she was super tiny, they also said she had Inter uterine growth restriction. But she was born 6 pounds 4 ounces. I did however gain 40 pounds while pregnant with her she just was tiny and has been tiny since birth!

My daughter stopped growing at 28 weeks and was 5 pound 5 but soon caught up she’s 21 now xx

I had severe hyperemesis and my doctor allowed me to starve my whole pregnancy. Around 24 weeks my daughter stopped growing and I managed to see a maternal fetal medicine doctor who advocated to delivery early to give her the best shot of gaining weight. She was born and was super tiny and now she’s 16 months old and almost completely caught up. Don’t be afraid to advocate for you and your baby!

1 Like

My son was measuring small but he weighed 6 lb 12 oz at birth and he was born two days before his due date. He was tiny for a little while but now he’s 12 years old and actually measuring older than he is. I also lost weight during my pregnancy instead of gaining until the very end. Some babies are just small.

My pregnancy bump didn’t show until 19 weeks. And like the other parents are saying, every baby develops differently. I think I went 40 weeks and 5 days. That dude was 8lbs 8oz. But while in labor, the cord wrapped around his neck twice, but they kept a steady eye on his monitor until he was ready. I ended up with a freaking cut down there to get my son’s big ol head out. I can’t spell what it’s called. Lol.
Do you happen to have a fetal monitor? Heart rates tend to be usually high during pregnancy. I had one of those fetal dopplers so I could hear his heartbeat at anytime. But I was also extremely freaking out since he was my first. One and done though. Lol.
My nephew was born and had been deprived of oxygen (she drank about a bottle of vodka a night while pregnant). So he was in the NICU for over a month. He’s 11 now. He does have issues though because of it. He can’t form words, he’s in a diaper, he has a hard time walking around.
So if your doctor doesn’t seem to concerned, but if you’d like some extra relief. Those dopplers are nice to have. It’s what helped me.

I was so sick during my second pregnancy. My baby wasn’t growing as well as she should. I spent most of the pregnancy in hospital on a drip. I got to 35 weeks and my dr said it was better for her to be born. She had stopped putting on weight. They induced me and she was born at 5lb. She was beautiful and quite healthy, just tiny. I worried the whole way thru. Not much you can do atm tho until you see your dr after 4 more weeks. Best of luck

My 12 week scan my daughter was measuring in the 10th percentile. 20 week scan she dropped to < 1st percentile and stayed that way until I delivered at 35 weeks. She started growing but very slowly.
She was born weighing 4lbs 5 ounces! Perfectly healthy baby girl just need some time in the nicu to grow :heart:

My youngest baby wouldn’t move much in general, but especially not during ultrasounds. They thought my placenta had a marginal cord insertion and so I had to go to a high risk doctor a couple of times. But my baby was measuring an insanely amount ahead until my last growth scan he seemed to be an appropriate size. They told me to expect 10 plus pounds. He weighed 8 pounds exactly. Their estimates aren’t always right.

My now 6 year old was always tiny. I had IUGR. She came out 4 lbs 12 oz and 17 inches long. She is 7 percentile for height now and 0 for weight.

Interuterine Growth Restriction and usually it wasn’t caught with mine until after 30w. All fine just small. Induced early. One was 37w. Another 39w and another 37w4d. 39w is as late as they will let me go with my history. 37w was because I had low amniotic fluid too. And 37w4d was bc I had preclampsia. And all they do is do weekly ultrasounds checking the umbilical cord is doing its job and monthy weights. Also they can be off. My 37w4d baby was weighted the day of her birth and they told me she wouldn’t weight over 5lbs. She was 6lbs 3oz.

Had my daughter at 27 weeks had preclampsia she only weighed 1 pound 8 oz she will be 16 next month