Anyone potty train a 2 year old?

Has anyone in here ever successfully potty trained their 2 year old? My youngest will be 2 on the 31st. She is always taking her diaper off. I have gotten her to pee in the potty one time but that’s it. Is she showing typical signs of potty training? My first was so much easier cause she just started telling me she had to potty. Any advice is very appreciated!!

8 Likes

I take my little grand daughter when I go and I take her several times a day.

When both of my girls started walking we got them a little potty and every time I went they went with. They both were trained by 28 months

My daughter was fully potty trained by 2.5. Definitely doable. If she’s showing signs of being ready, go for it.

1 Like

I’m still potty training my daughter and she’s 4. She does a good job while at the house but when we go places is when she forgets or just doesn’t wanna go idk so we gotta have her in pull ups. We haven’t gotten her potty trained at night time yet tho. But I started out giving her candy every time she used the potty and kept her in pull ups. After she started using the potty more I took the candy away and put her in panties. She started hating being in a wet pull up, so I put her in panties to push her a bit to use the potty if she didn’t want pee running down her legs and it worked lol my mom done the same thing to me so I thought I’d give it a try :joy: it just doesn’t work when we are away from the house. Not sure how to keep it going away from the house other than asking her if she’s gotta potty because forcing her to sit on a potty ends in a screaming tantrum.

My youngest daughter yes. But!! She also had 3 older siblings. We also put the potty in the living room starting at about 14 months to let her get used to it. I will say… I have 3 girls and a boy. My girls were way easier than my son. Lol

I potty trained one of my daughters when she was 20 months old. As soon as we stopped breastfeeding she starting using the potty :partying_face:
She wasn’t night trained for a fair while though so needed a nappy for bedtime.
I let her run around the house naked and left the potty in the main room of the house.
Oneday after dinner she literally just got up and walked over and used it. From there on she continued :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My oldest was daytime potty trained at 17 months old. I was a young mom, so my baby went everywhere I went. I set up a potty chair for her in the bathroom, and every time I went in and sat on the toilet, she sat on her potty chair. Nighttime potty training happened when she turned 2. I just tried to decrease her fluid intake 1-2 hours before bedtime (but not so much that she was thirsty and it would completely backfire). I was very lucky.

My middle child was in knickers day and night before her 2nd birthday. Honestly I didn’t do anything. She was able to do it all herself with a tiny bit of encouragement.

All My kids were potty trained by 2. Every time I went to the bathroom, I had them come with me and sit on the potty and try to go. It’s repetition, keep doing it, and they will figure it out.
I also had a sticker chart, so I would tell them if you pee in the potty you’ll get a sticker, if you get a line filled you get a prize.

I started at 2 but mine took another 9 months to fully be ready. But at 2 years 9 months she was dry day and night

Taking a diaper off is not a sign of readiness to potty train. It’s just a discovery and curiosity thing. Most kids don’t actually potty learn until 3. Wait until she’s ready. She’ll just go on her own without any fight, coaxing, or so on when she is.

I put my children on the potty once every hour or so. I made them try even if they told me they didn’t have to go. Then after 5 minutes if they didn’t go I would let them get off. If they did go I would praise them. They caught on to the feeling and started going on their own quickly.

I have 3 girls, we’re in the process of potty training my 2 year old, too. We have a potty chair in every bathroom, the tv room, my boyfriend’s and the little seat things that go on the toilet seat so they don’t fall in in every bathroom. She kinda just started doing it herself and stripping randomly when her pull up is wet.
I’ve been told setting a timer and prompting them to go to the bathroom and try to go gets them used to a bathroom schedule but helps. Also rewards for going on the potty like a candy or sweet treat seemed to help with my oldest.

My oldest was fully potty trained by 2! Consistency is key! Take them every time you go. Even if they say they don’t have to go. We also did a reward system. We made a pity chart in the bathroom. She put a sticker everywhere she went potty and then a piece of candy for pee a small toy for poop. We got rid of pull ups/diapers cold turkey. It seemed like it confused her so we went straight for panties! Even at night so we did puppy pads in her bed until we were confident in her. I’d say she’s showing signs but accidents are okay too that’s what it’s all about. We didn’t use any form of punishment when she had accidents as we didn’t want it to steer her away from the potty. It just takes a lot of patience lolololol

I just “finished” potty training my daughter she’s just under 2.5 years old… I go off on if they have a consistent dry diaper every morning then they are starting to hold it overnight then we can introduce the potty and I wouldn’t put much pressure on it… I use to bring mine in with me when I had to go (time the potty breaks 20 mins after a water/juice) and made them sit on their potty then lots of praise if they happened to go turned into little dance parties after every go

I just bought new fun underwear and pants and shorts from the thrift store and picked a long weekend that we were home and just put her in them. After a day she started going potty and then poop and then we put pads down under her sheet at night.

Yes all 3 of them were trained by 2. And some grandkids. Let her pick out her potty and training underwear. Some kids like the portable potty some like the seat that goes on top of the toilet

My 8 and 6 year olds were potty trained at 2 . Every time I went they went and I also went potty on the little potty to show its OK to go on there lol
I’m doing the same with my almost 2 yr old now

My daughter potty trained right before she turned 3. She went through about 6 months of dry nighttime diapers before I bought her some underwear (she chose them) and told her not to pee on the princesses. Shes only had maybe two accidents since then, and it’s been about a year now.

I successfully potty trained my sons before two. Just start a routine and schedule for regularly putting her on the potty. When you wake up immediately on the potty, after breakfast immediately on the potty, after lunch ect before bed . Consistency and structure are key. Make it fun and reward and encourage. Take her to a store and have her pick out her panties and make it a goal that she gets to wear them. Stick with it and she will be potty trained.

Far too young imo. By all means ask daily if they would be interested, but otherwise I would let them tell you when they are ready rather than dragging them every 20 mins to the bathroom

Yes. I’m potty training my 2.5 year old now. She’s doing great. I let her wear big t shirts or gowns that cover her privates and bum area. But NO DIAPER OR UNDERWEAR. she’s been on the potty for over a week. We haven’t progressed to underwear yet.