Anyones baby fail their hospital hearing test?

Has anyone had their baby fail their hospital hearing test in 1 ear? He’s a 35 weeker & they are re-screening later today. He passed in the other ear & startles to sounds

7 Likes

Yep, my twins were premies and failed but passed later.

My preemie did. He had it done 4 times. On the 4th he passed. He had twice in the nicu two weeks after he got out of the nicu and the last one after the two weeeks was a month later and he finally passed

Yep. 2 of mine had to retest. It was just because they had fluid in there ears from birth

Yes sometimes, they still have extra fluid and such from being in your womb left in their ears still.

Yes mine did, took her back a week later and she passed

1 Like

Mine failed it the first time and I took her back and she passed it

Yes my daughter failed in the hospital and when we brought her back in she passed. The nurse said it’s not uncommon for that to happen.

Yep!! Mine completely failed in the hospital. We went back at one month and had her tested again and she passed!

My youngest was born at 37 weeks and failed in one ear. They retested the next morning and she passed. The Dr said because she came so quickly (hardly any pushing) that she just had fluid in her ear. They said it was completely normal and common.

My 17 yr failed the first and they redid it again and passed

Mine failed born at 39 weeks and now at 8 weeks old, she doesn’t respond to sound In her left ear.

The hospital said my son passed twice. I had him retested because he wasn’t responding to loud noises. When he got into school he failed in the left ear. He can’t hear 2 pitches in his left ear. The pitch standard in the school hearing test and the outside audiologist determined a second pitch. He has annual monitoring but up to date doesn’t have tubes in his ears or require hearing aids.

My second failed the first time, he passed the second. He’s almost 7 now with 0 issues

My fourth did. She was born at 38 weeks. She passed at the ENT follow up appointment. They think she just had fluid in the way.

1st one has hearing aides 2nd kid passed his 2nd test

My daughter failed in both ears and she was born early at 35 weeks as well. Turns out her ears were creating to much fluid. Went to an ENT and had more testing done before having tubes placed. I would definitely have further testing done.

My 2nd failed 2x in hospital, they had him come back at 2wk old for another (failed) and then off to the audiologist we went. He’s profound deaf in one ear

My daughter failed her hearing test twice in the hospital but passed many months later and her hearing is fine today at 17.

Even if a baby fails One or both ears, they will retest the baby within a month or so, Babies have a lot of fluid in their ears that that could be the problem.

Yes my first born failed for one ear and passed when they came back later in the day. She just had some fluid in her ear.

My first son didn’t pass at first but then passed like a week later, they said he had fluid in his ear. My son that was just born a couple weeks ago also failed in one ear and then by the next day he passed. They said he also had fluid in his ear. It’s very common for babies to get fluid in their ear especially if you had a c section or super fast delivery! :white_heart: