Anyones kid not eat anything that you cook?

Anyone else have a 2yr old who absolutely WILL NOT eat anything you cook? I’m honestly getting annoyed because it’s been going on for weeks and today to avoid eating her food she hid in the pet food corner of the kitchen and BROKE my wall mounted cat bowls and fell in the dog water bowl. It’s a pain in the butt getting her to eat anything that’s not fruit or hotdogs she won’t even eat chicken nuggets it has to be a hot dog and fruit and then she wants yogurt and cheese sticks until next meal time and if she doesn’t get a hotdog and fruit she throws a tantrum and doesn’t eat!!! I’m going crazy I’m about to contact her pediatrician.

14 Likes

Mine. I just feed them chicken nuggets or hot dogs I give up

She’s eating, that’s the most important thing. Keep offering her different things to try and one day she may surprise you. Maybe throw in a gummy multivitamin if you’re really worried. Honestly, as long as she’s within her weight range and seems happy - just go with it for now.

10 Likes

My four year old used to eat a bunch of foods and he’s down to like 7 now and it’s so hard :sob::sob::sob:

I made almost everything we ate from fresh, locally grown produce every day. My older daughter lived on bolognaise sauce and pasta. She refused to eat anything else. I made it from scratch and put loads of frozen mixed veg in the sauce as well as extra tomatoes. She also ate a lot of grated cheese with it, so she got nutrients, but it drove me crazy. She would eat cake and other sweet stuff as well so I was expert at using grated carrots and apples in them. She eventually grew out of it.

Let her throw a tantrum and ignore her. She will be fine. When she gets hungry enough she will eat what you have available for her.

Breathe mama, she’s eating something and that’s what matters. I’d say let her eat her hotdogs and fruit and cheese and yogurt. A couple of my kids were the same and it was just a phase. I always left snacks out for them to graze as well.

2 Likes

I went through this and it’s totally fine keep giving her what she likes but also enjoy what you like too and make it sound real good she’ll soon see there more to like besides hotdogs It’s just a phase they go through it will be some else next :woman_shrugging:t3:

She will eat when she is hungry . My grandchild doesn’t eat a lot of anything but she is a just tiny . I promise this gets better - don’t stress about it

4 Likes

It’s literally a stage you gotta let some things go as a parent. For your own emotional health you need to take a deep breath and just let them eat the hotdogs and fruit. Don’t worry about the small stuff. What’s the point in fighting a human whose entire life experience is 2 years and they aren’t even self conscious yet. Their cavemen. Give them the hotdog and relax.

For normal kids (by that I mean kids who don’t have special needs), I’ve always found the “one plate, my plate” method to work really well. You make yourself a plate of whatever it is you want them to try and just sit down and start eating it where they can see you. It may take a few times of you doing it but eventually they always want to at least try what’s on mom’s plate.

4 Likes

The more you fuss about it the more she will fuss about it. Try just putting things on your plate. Kids love to snack on whatever mom has. I literally used to just throw some healthy things on a plate and sit on the couch and take small bites like i was really enjoying it while my boys were playing. Pretty soon they would be eating everything off my plate.

4 Likes

Just let her eat whatever she wants to eat as long as its food! This will pass. Its annoying but it will pass. Not worth stressing over.

She’s eating healthy -

But yes, that attitude can wear on a parent.

If she refuses to eat, no problem. Leave it there or counter it.

Then Eat food in front of her but don’t offer her any of it.

When she’s hungry and sees your plate, she’ll try to get some. Let her.
It’s “monkey see monkey do” with that age. It’s basic survival skills: They stick to their food bc they know it’s safe.
So, Eat yours, wait, let them graze off your plate. Ta da! New food is introduced.

Mine loves blueberries, dipped carrot sticks into yogurt to crunch, etc

My grandson is almost 2 and there isn’t anything from liver to seafood he won’t eat except ravioli from a can.

1 Like

Showing her independence…

I hope this helps. Don’t give in. If the food isn’t available to her she can’t eat it. You are in charge of what you offer. Her job is to decide what she eats and what she doesn’t

1 Like

My kids are autistic.
It was like that for years.
YEARS.
One now drinks kombucha iced tea or something :nauseated_face: and the other eats mushrooms & onions on his pizza :nauseated_face:

She’ll get there.

1 Like

Give her fruit, yogurt , cheese. Nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

Let them eat what they’ll eat… and soon they’ll get sick of it and move on to another favorite food.
The older they get, the more variety they’ll eat.

My grandson is super picky, and he’s gone through several stages of eating one-two things daily. He’s growing and thriving, and eating more since starting school.

She’ll get there Mama. Just keep feeding her the “flavor of the day “ she wants, and she’ll broaden her dietary habits.

2 Likes

Talk to her pediatrician, there may be some sensory issues going on. But young kids do not have a fully developed taste pallet and only like a few things.

1 Like

Hot dogs, fruit, and gummie vitamins… Save your sanity. Pick your battles

1 Like

My almost 4 year old is the same way, but he’s had acid reflux since he was baby so that’s why he’s so picky. It’s normal for kids to go through the picky stage.

Mom with four kids including a 5yo asd son
Give them what is for dinner. And then reward them eating with what they wanted. Give them choices. Do you want broccoli or carrots on your plate. Two good options but they choose one. Once they’re done eating at least half of their plate, give them ONE of the things they ask for ( hotdogs fruit in your case ) once they finish the plate, give them the rest of what they wanted. Remind them all thw way through dinner that they can have fruit and a hot dog after dinner. If they don’t eat, they won’t get the hot dog or fruit.

First off, young one, you are the adult (parent) if she won’t eat what’s in front of her - she doesn’t eat. When she gets hungry she will. Forcing her will only make her not want to try it at all. Try peanut butter & jelly sandwiches cut in quarters with some lil’ cheese flavored shaped like lil’ fishies.

Don’t give in to her, she knows she will get her way. Don’t feed her what she wants, either she eats what everyone else eats or she Don’t eat. She will eat when she’s hungry enough.

6 Likes

As a kid who was picky and now an adult who is picky I wish my parents would of forced me to eat what they eat and such because I have 3-5 foods that I will eat and it’s so repetitive it’s gets annoying but I can’t just force myself to try new foods

3 Likes

So u said she’s 2 right ? It’s very typical 4 her ahe. Back in the day around that age my step son did the same even hiding under the throw rug…he also did this at his moms…eating hotdogs ect all the time is not healthy & u always need to remember UR THE BOSS NOT HER …if she doesn’t eat what I cooked then let her go hungry & eventually she’ll eat do not let her dictate to u what she does or eats ur the mother & she’s a child

3 Likes

Try softer foods. She’s 2? Her molars may be coming in and her teeth/mouth may hurt. Soft is probably best. Usually the molars are in within a few wks but sometimes it can take a while.
Plus, her hormones are changing. But, if her moth hurts, try Ibuprofen and maybe some cold drinks or ice cream. Sje can have ice cream if she eats dinner. 2 mouthfulls. Forcing more will cause a fight. Keep it super simple. :sparkling_heart:
I used to make deals, they could have _____ for eating 2 mouthfulls of dinner. It usually worked. Lol
Now, mine are older, they have a few things they just don’t like but they eat various foods. Sushi. Asian dishes. Hispanic dishes. Whatever I cook, they eat. I do make something else for my son bc he isn’t i to pasta, at all. My daughter isn’t into tomatoes so I keep them out of her food.

2 Likes

My son is picky so I give him pedisure he is three

Introduce her to new foods every day. If she eats 3 bites of new food she can have a piece of hotdog or fruit. If she flat out refuses she gets nothing. Why would she try new stuff if you’re just going to give what she wants anyway? She will eventually hungry & eat. But pay attention to reactions. If a food makes her gag or throw up. If certain smells give her headaches or nausea etc take her to a physiatrist to be evaluated for sensory disorders.

I don’t blame her for not eating chicken nuggets they are crap

Lmao … I have an 11 year old and a 7 year old that I make fend for themselves EVERYDAY because they refuse to eat what I make. No advice except fuck them kids!!! :joy::joy::joy:

My oldest wudnt eat anything apart from cucumbers and yogurt it was hell she’s 17 now and eats more but very fussy. My eldest boy as never eaten any bit of veg he’s adhd and I’ll put veg on he’s plate every time but still won’t eat. If a doctor tells u a child will eat wen they are hungry it’s completely bullshit I was told that and my adhd daughter didn’t eat for nearly 3 weeks x

1 Like

My daughter was born premature and she was the same way around that age. We went to see a nutritionist. She wouldn’t eat any of the healthy things she recommended. She was already not reaching her weight milestones. That’s when I decided whatever she wants to eat she can eat it. She did. After awhile she started trying new foods including the healthy ones. She’ll be turning 12 next week and now she walks around eating raw broccoli and ranch. Also to add the foods I couldn’t tolerate while pregnant with her she still will not eat so there’s a start. It will get better. Maybe try introducing something new with her favorite usual meal.

Don’t be mad about the broken cat food bowls … there’s a reason she’s acting that way and in her little mind that reason is legit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: feed her hot dogs she will get tired of them eventually. She’s only 2

My 5 year old is picky. She eats strawberries, banana’s, peanut butter sandwichs, pizza, fries, pringles, cheeseburger, bacon,eggs, toast and ramon noodles, anything it’s not happening. As long as they eat that’s all that matters. She will not drink milk but every once in awhile she’ll want chocolate milk. She rather have her 2 cups of OJ and water the rest of the day.

My grand daughter is same way. We put a couple spoons of dinner and ask her to eat 5 bite or whatever. I think she will out grow it. Difficult age. Good luck. Don’t worry

Mine are chicken and drank milk- that was about it. She was always a poor eater but grew up fine. Stop stressing

let her be as long as she’s eating. keep trying new foods but as long as she’s eating, u can’t force feed her…my peds wanted me to basically starve my kid until she ate what I gave her…I wasn’t gonna do that. little by little she started TRYING healthier options. she still won’t eat meat other than chicken

Try kid cuisines in a blue box.