Anyones toddler get a lead and iron test done?

Have you ever gotten the lead and iron test done on your toddler? WIC wants my son to get one but his pediatrician doesn’t think it’s necessary. I agree with him, I don’t think I should make my son go through the stress of getting blood drawn for no reason. Can they deny me benefits if I deny getting the test done for my son?

8 Likes

Both of my kids were tested for lead while on WIC. It’s a small finger poke. The test is fast and worth it in my opinion.

15 Likes

If you don’t follow their requirement they can kick you off.

9 Likes

I was worried about it too but my daughter didn’t even notice it

Honestly, I would. You never know. This is how we found out that my nephew had lead poison. We nor the doctors know how he contracted it and if it were not for this simple test at the WIC office we would have never known.

It’s just a finger prick and a couple drops of blood. All three of my children got it done and it gives you a peice of mind knowing that they are in a safe level. My insurance wants them to have it done.

It’s just a finger poke. I’ll never understand people’s want to not make sure their kids are safe and healthy :woman_shrugging: my opinion. But people can parent the way they sit fit. I just don’t understand

15 Likes

Mine went through it once and I never got her tested again for it like they recommend. You don’t have to do it.

Nys requires lead testing done in pediatric office!!! Was my favorite job to do. Few drops of blood from finger. Few minutes for results…

2 Likes

Good lord it’s a finger poke.

Yep and for us it was just a finger poke. My kiddo was 2 and didn’t care. He was super excited to get a bandaid :joy:

We had it done at WIC for both kiddos.

They told us it came back positive then they would test our house 1st for us or anywhere else the kiddos stayed often, for free. Both kiddos where OK.

1 Like

Pretty sure every kid who gets wic gets a lead and iron test done. It’s just a prick on the finger. I would just do the stuff for you don’t get kicked off.

2 Likes

Both of my kids had it done. They are just checking to make sure your kid is healthy. Lead poisoning can lead to serious issues in life. And you would be surprised where lead is found. Not only old paint but also in cheap toys from China. Anything they can put their mouth on potentially could harm them.

5 Likes

No drawing of blood. Just a finger stick. Good info to know

I told them to shove it and didn’t get wic anymore because of this BS. They’re not drs and have no business doing that to my kids

2 Likes

I used to work in the lab at our local health department. Lead testing was a requirement for WIC. It’s a simple finger prick and the only way he would need blood drawn is if his levels are abnormal. Typically they are already getting a finger prick for hemoglobin so it would just be done at the same time.

1 Like

It’s just a finger prick.

2 Likes

If you want WIC, you do it. Otherwise, you’re SOL.

IDK about lead but they check my daughter’s iron levels just because she is so pale. Tried to tell them she gets it from her Dad and I know her iron is perfect. Her test proved I’m right and they haven’t checked her since

Yes, my kid is 3 and she will be getting tested a 3rd time, we don’t have WIC, but her normal pediatrician does it.

Yes, WIC testing my youngest led to us finding out he did have high lead levels, we had no idea. I wouldn’t deem it unnecessary at all. It’s a small finger poke and over in two seconds.

2 Likes

All 4 of my kids did through WIC. It’s not a big ordeal. Fast and simple. Worth it.

I think it’s 100% worth it. Lead is a silent poison

Handwashing and I change their clothes when they get home to clean ones

Don’t use wic if you don’t want to follow their guidelines… pretty simple :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

yes have had done with doctor if not wic i think actually i had done with both its usually recommended.

WIC nurse here. Former labor and delivery. Yearly hemoglobin (iron) testing starting a 1yo is a requirement for WIC. Lead/hgb testing at 1yo may be required to enter school/daycare, or by your health insurance, depending on your state. Lead poisoning is silent and you wouldn’t even notice something was wrong until it was pretty severe. I’ve had elevated leads and parents had no clue. They can pick it up from water, soil, toys…honestly anywhere. Like others have said its a simple finger poke both tests done at the same time. Most times the parents are more anxious than the kids and the kids do great. We have had to cancel benefits for some who refuse the testing as the annual hemoglobin is in our policy.

1 Like

WIC always tests for lead. They have since I was a child at least and I’m 34. I remember getting it done. If you don’t comply with the terms you aren’t eligible for benefits.

Sorry to be dumb but what’s wic?

it’s a finger prick. not a big deal. It’s. better safe than. sorry

Just a finger poke and it’s done. Ud be surprised to what led is in. Here if u don’t follow they’re guidelines they’ll kick u off benefits

Yeah you have to. Its just a finger poke. And it makes sure theyre ok win win

It’s a finger prick, it’s not a big deal. And one of my kids had higher levels so I’m glad i got them done. I’m not sure if they can deny benefits, I don’t think they can though.

With wic they normally test the iron I haven’t heard about lead before and I have a 3 month old 5 and 7 all had WIC

I work at a Peds office and we check kiddos for lead and iron with just a finger prick at 3 different checkups throughout toddler life. Very beneficial for the knowledge!

Yes they can turn your wic off if you dont

My 4 years old just did his yesterday. Over in less than a second and then I had to do it after since I’m pregnant. The “pain” was minimal and lasted less than 5mins and then the feeling went away. WIC obviously does it for a reason to make sure they add the right groceries to our diet. It’s not for “no reason”. Did your PED say that bc the child has a medical condition that prevents blood draws? (I wouldn’t even call it a blood draw, since it’s such a fast tiny poke).

First of all, this is very normal. My kids ALL had one at the pediatrician. Secondly, it’s not a blood draw, it’s a finger prick. Lastly, you definitely need to check for anemia. Low iron levels in childhood can affect the development of the central nervous system, potentially leading to intellectual disability and behavioral disorders. It’s neglectful not to allow a finger prick to potentially prevent life-long issues.

Lastly, if you don’t comply, you very well may lose benefits.

It’s damn near harmless they just want a lil blood, its well worth it

Our Medicaid makes you get them done tk stay on it

Also if your doctor doesn’t think that Checking the iron levels of your child is necessary you need to find a new pediatrician

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure that test is done on every child at age 2. All of my kids have had this test and not for wic

They always check my babies and kids for iron when I was on WIC

Its just a finger prick not a blood draw and its a requirement fo wic

We live in a little country town where kids get there lead levels done from a young age. It’s just a finger prick! High lead levels can be dangerous! Just get them checked for peace of mind