Anyones toddlers have tubes in their ears?

Anyone’s toddler have ear tubes? My toddler got ear tubes placed in February right before he turned 2. they haven’t fallen out and no problems so far… but yesterday he was running a fever, still fighting a slight cold from 2 weeks ago, cried all last night and didn’t slept and has had clear fluid leaking from his ears… I just went to wipe it and it is RED fluid now. Anyone else’s little experience this?? We are seeing the pediatrician tomorrow, but my mom heart hurts knowing he might be in a lot of pain.

6 Likes

He could have an ear infection. The tube is draining the ear like it’s supposed to. I have gone through similar situations with two of my children. It’s better to be safe than sorry though. Sending prayers your way :heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::pray:t2:

1 Like

Did they give you the ear drops? We have them on stand by at all times for these situations.

I’d go to the ER immediately if it’s red

My sins had this done when. He was three in 1979 and after that no more ear infection s

Put tubes in my son’s ears in the middle of October because he had hearing loss. He’s been on and off sick ever since then. Worse than when he didn’t.

It’s probably a ear infection. My son had blood coming from his ear and I thought he had ruptured a ear drum or something, turned out it was just a infection. On the plus side that means the tubes are doing what they are supposed to do and allowing the infection to drain out. My son is 5 and we are in the works for his 3rd set of ear tubes so I’m pretty familiar.

3 Likes

It sounds like he has an ear infection and the tubes are doing that they are supposed too. If he was up all night crying, his ear drum might have burst. I would call your ped or ent. They’ll want to see for antibiotic. We had a very similar situation. I hope he feels better soon. My 10 year old has a double ear infection right now. Ear pain is the worst.

I would call Ent now to see what they recommend.

My daughter had it there was fluid coming but clear not red

You can still get ear infections with tubes in, my daughter went through 3 sets of tubes and had infections the whole time

Mine had his placed back in 2020 about 1 year and half old. The ent gave us ear drops incase he ever had fluid draining. His tubes fell out last year and now we’re on the watch for his tonsils. He stays at stage 3 our of stage 4 for tonsils, we’re going back and forth debating if he should have them removed or not. I’d call the ent Dr that put them in and see what they recommend,they might have him come in for a check up.

I’d call the dr on call or the nurse hotline and talk to them. Might just tell you to go to er.

yes, my child has tubes and was having fluid and blood drainage. She was put on an oral antibiotic, antibiotic ear drops and clairiton. The clairitin helps dry up the fluid. No problems since she was treated for the infection.

I would call you ent on call if it’s red

1 Like

Red fluid? I’d go to the er.

3 Likes

Put the drops they gave you in… sounds like an ear infection

It means the kid has a ear infection and the tube are working. My daughter literally had puss running out of hers and it took having the suctioning them out

Tubes are very tiny and if they came out you wouldn’t necessarily know

First: have the fluid analyzed that is leaking from ear (insist it please as doctor will say not necessary… prayers it is not CSF)
I would have called doctor or gone to ER….

Mine had tubes placed at 18 months in 2019. June of 2022 woke up with blood coming out of his ear and blood all over the pillow. Took to ER and too bloody to get a definitive answer. Given ear drops for infection. Cried and gagged when dropped into ear which I thought was odd. Complained he taste the medicine. Returned to doctor - ear drum was ruptured and tube gone. We are now watching it - still has not healed, some hearing loss. ENT says it’s a very large tear, but wanted to give it more time to heal. We go back in Feb to set plan in action for surgery :pensive: no signs or hope for healing this far out. He will be 6 in March and surgery sounds horrible.

2 Likes

From a momma who has kids who had tubes more than once for both kiddos, both had tubes put in at not even 1 year old since they were getting ear infections after ear infections; I would recommend to put ear drops prescribed by your babies ENT for 7 days, if ear is leaking it means there is an ear infection and tubes are doing their job!! If after 2-3 days you see no improvement, call your ENT to have him checked or if you have no prescription for ear drops, call him and get him checked!! Both my kids always had a script from ENT for ear drops in case it was needed!

The tubes are draining fluid he most likely has an ear infection. Can still get them w tubes

Yes. This happened to my son and he had a perforated eardrum from the pressure.

It was called Gromits, not🙄