Are gender tests accurate?

Has anyone had bloodwork done to determine the gender of their baby but their results weren’t what they were actually carrying?? Example: test says “Boy” but you were actually carrying a girl, and vice versa. I’ve read about other moms who’ve had previous recent births and the babies DNA was still floating around in mom’s blood so the test detected that DNA and not the DNA of the fetus.

14 Likes

I heard it’s more accurate if it’s a boy for that reason and girls have lower certainty. Mine was a boy and later sonograms agreed lol

2 Likes

I’ll be having it done for the first time on the 10th and I am so hoping its a girl, I have enough boys.

1 Like

They honestly arent that accurate. My driend was confirmed girl through blood and ultrasound and he came out a boy

1 Like

Here we call it the harmony test & yes i got it done with my son, and it said he was a boy… also everyone i know who has gotten it done as well, was right. :slight_smile:

Yes I know two people who got a blood test and they were wrong!

1 Like

Its extremely accurate. I had it done this year, and my sister and sister in law did too and they were all correct

1 Like

But you just never know…

1 Like

Happened to us. They said girl and at the ultrasound it was a boy.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t understand why these tests are so popular, anytime any of these generic tests are done in a fetus it can actually increase the chances of a miscarriage. So I would rather be surprised as long as baby is safe and healthy. If the ultrasound doesn’t show you then just wait till baby is here

5 Likes

Mine said boy and my ultrasound later confirmed its a boy.

2 Likes

I had the T21 test because of my elevated risk of baby having Downs Syndrome. Test said girl and it was accurate.

1 Like

I had it done with my unborn son they said that I am having a boy by my blood test at 13 weeks and i told the tech I was worried that the test could be wrong because I already have two girls and afriad that he will turn out to be a girl and he did this for me :joy:

11 Likes

Angela McHatton the blood tests carry absolutely no risk to the fetus, it’s blood taken from the mother’s arm. You’re probably thinking about amniocentesis

13 Likes

Catherine Marenco Tait I was just about to say the same thing!

1 Like

Angela McHatton actually they took blood from my arm not fluids from my womb

1 Like

I got it done when i was pregnant for my daughter and it was correct. I’ve seen it work for many of my pregnant friends and family.

2 Likes

Happened with us! Bloodwork said boy but we had a girl.
She had genetic testing and tests done to make sure she had a uterus and ovaries while she was in the NICU and all was normal.
The only thing we can think of is that someone at the lab messed up the results.

Looking back the ultrasound showed girl but because we already had the bloodwork results we didn’t worry about looking further than if baby was healthy.

2 Likes

My doctor made me do it because my sons father have DS in his family and my doctor told me I could found out the gender at the same time doing the test and told me it wont hurt the baby it was just drawing blood from the arm

I will be finding out in a week or two if mine was right. As it stands I’m having a girl. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

The blood tests are 99.9 percent accurate if done at the proper time (after 10 weeks or more) …reason being if the test says your baby is male it’s because there’s no other reason a woman would ever have a male chromosome detected in their blood …UNLESS that woman was pregnant with a male. That’s basically how those blood tests work…if no male chromosome is detected …your having a female …if it is…it’s male. I had blood tests done for my second and third pregnancies (my kids are exactly 12 months and 1 week apart) BOTH boys…I had the panorama tests done for both.

5 Likes

Angela McHatton actually it’s a blood test. So no risk at all. Step down off that soap box.

6 Likes

My OB highly recommended if as well because of my “geriatric pregnancy”. :joy::joy::joy: just a normal blood test!

Madison Evans did she do the one through the mail or the dr? The one through the dr is 99% accurate

Angela McHatton they take the blood from your arm… So, no risks whatsoever… I think your thinking of an amnio or something.

1 Like

That’s just not how it works… It’s not able to detect the dna of a previous pregnancy… :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

A blood test does not increase the chance of a miscarriage… I believe you are thinking of an ammniocetese which is big ass needle they stick into your uterus to withdraw amnio fluid from around the baby…a simple blood test is done regularly throughout pregnancy to test for a wide variety of things and is never known to increase chances of a miscarriage

1 Like

Yes I had the blood test and it is 99% accurate.

1 Like

It’s a very simple non invasive blood draw and the results if done after 10 weeks are accurate.

2 Likes

I had one done with this baby it said boy I just had my ultrasound yesterday still a boy this will be my 3rd boy it was accurate for me usually a blood test isnt wrong.

1 Like

Please dont listen to the people saying blood tests increase your risk of miscarriage or that they’re very invasive. They are so so misinformed. They take like, a little vial of blood and in a couple of weeks they call you with the results. Generally these tests are about 99% accurate, and they pose no risk to mother or baby.

6 Likes

Due to my “geriatric pregnancy” and “advanced maternal age” I had this done. I use quotes because I was 38 yrs old. Ancient, right? Lol. I loved finding out the sex at 10 weeks along.

Just wait to see from the ultrasound

Fyi the test is called NIPT and usually the only time it can be wrong is if they say Boy and it turns out to be a girl. They look for the genetic markers X and Y. Obviously if you have Y in your blood you must be having a boy, right? Sometimes that can be wrong but if they tell you Girl you can bet you’re having a girl unless the test or sample was tainted.

1 Like

I turned down the other invasive tests…I told them there’s NOTHING they could tell me that would change my mind about having her.

Terra Payne I was old too 39!! :astonished:

1 Like

Blood test should be 100 percent accurate at 12 weeks. All mine were

1 Like

Terra Payne they kept saying stuff about my age and I was only 35 and as healthy as a horse :roll_eyes: so insulting :joy:

1 Like

I get it! I was healthy up until the 3rd trimester then I lived up to the name and developed gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and had her 2 months early by emergency csection.

My daughter just had one done a few weeks back
Said to be a GIRL​:grin::grin: she has her 20weel check up june26 so we shall see for sure then

1 Like

DNA is accurate yea. I had one done to find out I’m having a son

1 Like

Yeah I did sneak peek. the only way it can be wrong is if you contaminate your blood sample with male DNA then it would tell you you are having a boy when you could possibly be having a girl but it doesn’t work the other way around

1 Like

Angela McHatton lmfao um that’s incredibly inaccurate :joy: it’s a blood test there’s no harm at all like absolutely none.

2 Likes

James Bishop obviously? :joy:

I’m doing a sneak peak test. I heard it was accurate by many women of course unless it’s contaminated but I’m gonna try my best to do it correctly.

1 Like

AIisha Ivory this is me! 2 boys and they say a girl on the way from the blood test… But I wanna SEE IT!

I had it done with my 5th due to age, I was 34 and would turn 35 before due date. After having 4 girls we were shocked to learn we were having a boy. Indeed he is a boy. I know many people who’ve done the test and all were correct. It took less than 10 days to get the results .

1 Like

Lindsey there’s different ones girl. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i got ut done said im having a boy well know on the 12 forsure tho.

My sister and a good friend were both recently told they were having a girl from the blood tests but the scan showed they are both having boys.

1 Like

Accurate. Had my test done at 10 weeks. Had my son 7 days ago

2 Likes

I’ve done the blood test with both my kids . It was right both times .
My ob did it at 12ish weeks

1 Like

Both mine were accurate. The bloodwork is done early in the pregnancy (mine were at 10 weeks) so you can always confirm the gender when you get the anatomy ultrasound around 20 weeks.

1 Like

Shannon Montoya doctor

1 Like

Terra Payne fyi the test is called different things one being the materniT21 test

Terra Payne it is no longer invasive. All they do is draw your blood like they do for a 1000 other things while you’re pregnant!

2 Likes

I am pretty dure the genetic testing is the most accurate way to find out the gender.

2 Likes

Olivia Schaumleffel Oh hahaha

I had it done and it was right for me. It said boy and ultrasound proved it was correct. We use Sneak Peak. I think the biggest thing about the test is you can order it and it reliever at your house which makes it easier to be contaminated, but I went to a facility and a phlebotomist did mine and decrease contamination a lot!

1 Like

I did one with my first son and it told me girl. He is most definitely a boy lol

1 Like

There are several blood tests, they are 99.9% accurate. If you’ve had a miscarriage or baby within the last 3 months, that can make the results off. If you are earlier than 10 weeks it can be off too. Theres also the slim chance of clerical error.

1 Like

I did it old school by using an ultrasound

I had blood work and ultrasounds that said boy and surprise I had a baby girl

1 Like

I had it done with my 3rd, the doctor did it eith all the other testing Amd i got an email with the results of eceryrging like 10 days later. It was correct.

I did and it was right because everything time i get a ultrasound done he shows hes a boy lol

1 Like

Had a blood test mine says boy. Have to wait for the 20 week sonogram

1 Like

The ones done at home can be inaccurate if you dont follow the directions exactly but typically it only gives false results saying “boy” when you’re really having a girl because they can be easily contaminated with Male dna

1 Like

Tis is wht i just waited until 18-20 weeks. So there want any confusion

Vanessa Spurlock you must not have read my other comments. Lol. I know all about it. I had it done at 10 weeks. I was talking about the other tests they offer you that are invasive.