Are trampolines safe for 3-year-olds?

I have been a gymnastics coach for almost 40 years. I strongly discourage backyard trampolines! They are so dangerous! You don’t have to worry about his knees. Worry about his head, his neck, and his teeth. My kids can jump all day at a gym or a trampoline park…but I don’t let them on backyard trampolines.

4 Likes

No trampolines. At least not in my house. I had a friend break her neck on one when we were young.

1 Like

Dangerous in fact most home owners will not cover you if you have one and list it.

I’ve got a 2, 8 & 9yo who all play on ours. They love it. We have one with a net. 2 out of my 3 have broken a bone before, but it wasnt trampoline related. It was park related.

Eta: When I was a child we had one with no net. I played on it everyday that it wasnt raining. I flew off a time or 2 doing flips and such on it, but no broken bones. I just learned my limits lol.

1 Like

We have a toddler trampoline and my kids do great with it. My mom has a full size trampoline and my daughter got hurt within the first 5 minutes being on it so they aren’t allowed on it anymore. She over extended her knee on it. We use the toddler trampoline to help my son get deep pressure input for his sensory issues.

My son used to jump with his cousin on hers, he was maybe 3 at the time but would complain about his back hurting afterwards so I would wait he’s 8 now & has one.

My kids have always had trampolines they are just fine

Just go with an age appropriate one. They make different sizes for a reason. I wouldn’t suggest a full size at that age but definitely one of the small ones with the bar across or possibly even kid one thats only like a foot off the ground and like 5ft wide.

1 Like

My children got a low child size one at 2. We always monitor them plus it has a bar.

My grandkids love it. Use it all the time. Just let them go.

A lot of you need to reread the post. She said a SMALL trampoline. Not a huge backyard trampoline. And for the record, horrible accidents can happen anywhere. At the playground, riding a bike, falling off a bed or couch, NOT just from trampolines. Let kids be kids. Or wrap them in bubble wrap and stick them in front of the tv for their entire childhood.

3 Likes

I Love the mini ones by little tikes, you can use indoors on carpet so they most likely won’t get hurt. It helps get their energy out, it’s great!

I thought trampolines were easy on the knees?

My 2 year old has one and loves it. She started using a toddler one but quickly outgrew it and it became dangerous unless someone was holding her hands. The big one has a cover for the springs and a net all around, it’s very safe. I don’t think there should be any knee problems but maybe you can take your kid to someone else’s house who has one, or to a gym/kids center so they can try it out before you buy one.

1 Like

Small trampolines are perfect. Get one with a bar.

1 Like

Biggest issue I’ve ever had with a trampoline, was when I was a kid playing at a friend’s house and I busted my nose with my knee.

My 2 oldest kids are getting a big one this year for Christmas. 3 and 4.5. They had a little tikes one with the bar but they’re too big now.

Trampoline 100%!!! With a net!!!
Little tikes makes great small ones.

Do you let your kid walk and play?

3 Likes

Just find one thats more his size …(these are some examples off of google)

1 Like

My daughter got a groin injury when she was 4 from jumping with a teenager. We still have a trampoline but a strict one person only rule because of her previous injury.

1 Like

If the trampoline doesn’t hurt him something else will. :rofl::rofl: He’ll be fine.

Get pads with it and when he is jumping. Only him if bigger people bounce he could get hurt , his bones will not take impact.

Id just get a netted one with spring covered

All I’m going to say is let kids be kids.
They will always hurt themself. But let them have fun and deal with consequences later. Xx

I used to jump on the old school rectangle trampolines from the top of the shed with my brothers- We all survived, I’m sure your son will be okay. He may have a bit of fun tho, if you’re okay with that…

1 Like

I have a in home daycare and all my kids ages 1 1/2 to 12 use it daily WITHOUT a net! Teach him to jump in the middle and be close when he’s playing on it! Trampolines are fun for all ages, kids will get bumps and bruises Let them be little and have fun!

I did power tumbling gymnastics for 10 years and the only thing that was hard on my knees was the landings. Never hurt them to be on the tramps though.

My son’s 2 December n I have a massive one an 2 older daughters but he plays on it on his own all day loves it it’s ok as long as u keep an eye on him

My son is 3 and we have one outside with the net around it that zips up. He and his older siblings love it. So far we havent had any major injuries (fingers crossed)

Yes, but you need to supervise your child just like with anything else. I wouldn’t let anyone jump with him except maybe you.

My then 2 and 3 year old got one last xmas. No issues.

Little tykes have a couple that are great!

1 Like

My youngest was 2 when we got one, never had a problem

Its perfectly safe. It wont hurt their knees. Let the kid live a little lol

1 Like

drs hate for kids to have their own trampolines because the injury rate is so high and the temptation to use it unprotected. Its also a fairly big liability issue. better to sign them up for gymnastics under more supervision.

Our pediatrician was against using the small trampolines at a young age. Saying children are more likely to get sprained/broken anckles

1 Like

My experience no. My daughter was at her cousins house while I went to a doctors appointment. It was a large trampoline 18 inches off the ground. She attempted to get off it while my niece continued to bounce. She was bounced off, into the ground & broke her wrist. Both girls were 3 yrs old.

I’d wait until she is older because it will be worn out when shes older. They have little ones you can get.

Let him be a kid. Idk, I’ve jumped on a trampoline all my life. I’m still alive.

My parents have a little one my 3 year old jumps on I would say it will be fine

My kids loved it. No problems at all.

My kids all had small trampolines…

The pedi actually suggested them…

My older 2 and I got out of a domestic violence thing when they were little… it helped them work out anxiety when stressed…

My youngest just loved jumping. Lolololololol

1 Like

My son has a travel mini trampoline. Works perfectly for my 3 year old son

Just make sure none of the Springs are ever showing because that could seriously hurt him as long as those are completely covered just make sure that he doesn’t hit the sides other than that the jumping on it is actually better for his joints than jumping on the floor

My then 3 year old would jump on a regular sized one with his cousins all the time… never had problems… one of the girls was 2 and they also had a toddler one… they’d just go back and forth.

My 2 year old hurt her back real good landing wrong

Love trampolines. It’s great excersize for the little ones. One of the small round ones would be perfect for a toddler/preschooler!

Nope will be fine…

I read an article that children under 6 should never be on a trampoline.

Ask your child’s pediatrician how old a child should be before they can play on a trampoline. Most will tell you it is NOT safe for small children.

We got our son a full size one for Christmas last year and in his 3rd birthday party it was a huge hit with all the kids. He loves it and had been been hurt by it. It of course had the full safety net on it and we limit how many and how big the kids are that allowed on it and the biggest safety issue is falling off of it so keep the net closed and you won’t have that problem

Bought for my 3 year old grandbaby for Christmas. They are great stims for kids on the spectrum.

They have some made for littles.

I hope so, my 1 year old has been jumping on ours for about 2 months now. Lol

1 Like