At a loss of how to help my father in law

Ensure with ice cream, blend it, see if that helps,even 1spoon a hour.

2 Likes

Ask his doctor for an appetite stimulant.

1 Like

Ensure has kept my fil alive for about 5 or so years, if not more!

Protein: drinks, bars, cheese, beans, anything high calorie or protein

Hide the fruits and vegetables!Purée cooked vegetables with tofu, butter and cream so he doesn’t know what’s in the cream soup. Grate vegetables (carrots, zucchini, onions, parsnips, spinach, etc.) and purée them in tomato sauce for spaghetti, lasagna, chili, sloppy joes. Any green flecks are “the basil or oregano” in Italian seasonings.:wink: Mix butternut squash in Mac n cheese. I think Jessica Seinfeld wrote a cookbook to sneak vegetables into her toddler that you might want to look at.

He might eat things if they’re similar to fast food, like pot pies and broccoli cheese soup, both easy to make. Or make (or buy frozen) sweet potato fries. They’re slightly more nutritious than the white ones. Bake in the oven to avoid extra fat. Good with cinnamon & nutmeg or pumpkin spice seasoning too.

Mix 1/3rd mashed cauliflower with mashed potatoes, 1/3rd or 1/4th riced cauliflower with regular rice, get the cauliflower crust frozen pizzas. Some pizza delivery offers cauliflower crust options too. Will he eat egg rolls or Chinese food with vegetables?

Will he eat omelettes? I toss in salsa, spinach, shredded carrots or squash, and any leftover cheese. I then slide them onto whole wheat tortillas and roll them up with bacon, ham or sausage in the middle. You can also spread refried beans on the tortilla before adding the omelette. Wrap & freeze so they hold their shape. Take out & nuke until heated through and eat like a burrito. If he doesn’t unroll it (should stay together though) he won’t notice the other ingredients. You can also hide light-colored vegetables in a ham and/or bacon and cheese quiche, like minced cauliflower, parsnips, yellow squash, hearts of palm, enoki mushrooms. Pour into greased muffin tins for portion control and no crust for you, as the cream & cheese are caloric.

Put smoothies with fruits and vegetables in opaque containers with lids so he can’t see what’s in them. Mix smoothies with ice or ice cream & call them milkshakes. Gradually reduce the amount of ice cream over time. Will he eat fruit pies with ice cream? You can just layer fruit with lemon juice in a pie shell and bake it with spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and mace. Or plain, cooked, or canned fruit covered in whipped cream or ice cream and maybe a little booze for dessert? Purée fruit into pudding and pie mix and reduce the amount of milk.

Get the frozen chocolate covered bananas so he can eat them like popsicles. I make a dessert that’s 1/2 applesauce and 1/2 whipped egg whites mixed together. It’s a sweet but low-cal mousse. Serve in parfait or other tall glass with grated dark chocolate on top for dessert. Also use applesauce or mushy bananas instead of oil and finely grated zucchini or yellow squash to make cakes or zucchini bread. Carob tastes like chocolate but is actually fairly healthy. Health food stores sell it in blocks, powder & candy bars. Will he eat granola bars? Maybe start with chocolate covered ones & transition to plain ones. You skip them because they really are just a healthier candy bar.

Will he eat dippable vegetables (carrot & celery sticks, broccoli and cauliflower florets, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes) if he has ranch dressing, onion dip or queso for them? Put a tray out with them when he’s watching sports so he might eat them mindlessly. Air popped popcorn is a whole grain treat for everyone. You skip the butter and salt or Parmesan cheese. Maybe he’ll eat salsa, as tomato is a fruit & onion is a vegetable. Some people like hummous or bean dip even if they don’t normally like beans. Good with vegetables or whole wheat pita. He might eat nachos with refried beans, salsa, shredded lettuce, sliced green onions, and melted cheese to glue all ingredients to the chips. Stick the greens into the refried beans so he can’t pull them off, and top with Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream. Nuts in moderation make a healthy snack for both of you.

Hide puréed mushrooms in onion soup if he’ll eat that. Put the bread & cheese on top in the broiler for him; you eat it plain or with a few whole grain croutons (cut bread leftovers into cubes & leave them out to dry, then put them in a glass jar). You can also purée cooked mushrooms and onions in stroganoff sauce. You can also add a bit of minced vegetables, fresh or dried parsley, minced dried onion and tofu to meatloaf, meatballs and hamburgers. Bake them in an oven to reduce fat for you & you eat smaller portions.

You eat smaller portions of the main dishes & supplement with other fruits and vegetables on your plate. Using whole grain bread, pasta, and brown rice is good for you (and him), though you will want smaller portions of carbs. Skip the whipped cream, ice cream & pie shells for you when eating fruit, skip the ice cream & use skim milk (if any) or plain yoghurt when making your smoothies. You can use sugar free pudding and pie mix too to cut your calories, though limit your artificial sweeteners as they’re unhealthy.

The other part of health is exercise. Do chair yoga together, take him for walks (drive him to a garden to walk or roll him around—maybe bribing him with a McD’s burger & then driving to the park to get out & walk/roll his wheelchair around. You will both get exercise which helps metabolize food and turn fat to muscle. Take him swimming. Most pools have handicap entry options. I also love “Tai Chi Ch’ih: Joy through Movement” with Carmen Brocklehurst on You Tube. It’s easy, takes 30 minutes, but you will see results to your physical and mental health if you do it consistently over time. You can do it standing while he does it sitting.

Good luck on your joint journey to health! I’m rooting for you!

1 Like

Sustegan high cal drink

And Nutritionist can help both of you.

You can only do so much, let him eat what he wants to eat!

Try protein shakes like ensure or carnation in addition to whatever he will eat. Get a list of the foods he likes and will eat and discuss woth a nutritionist to create a healthy diet for him

1 Like

Usedietpowder to some foods you can. It says diet but it had most off the nutrition needed. If hevlijes cookies ir cake make it for him with extra powdered milk in the flour, or use an extra egg and that much less liquid. I put extra egg(s) in my measure cup and add the the liquid. Learned some of these tips when in a group ran my hine ec college teachers on how to get enough milk and protein in foods for picky children. Hope you come up with ideas that help him get healthier.

Make milkshakes with ensure and ice cream you can also sign up for coupons they have recipes and malnutrition information on page my husband is battling stage 4 cancer drs gave him rx for megestrol to help with appetite and I also make him milkshakes

Soups, protein smoothies, pasta meals… ask him his favorite meals, make a meal plan that he can help make with you… green tea with some honey and sugar, can be iced or hot, and coffee with creamer and sugar if he likes it, iced or hot. Best bet is to ask him though, maybe ass in some super food powders to add in a boost. If you are in a state where happy trees are legal, maybe hook him up with some edibles or a vape and let him smoke and get the munchies :woman_shrugging:t4:

Pasta, ensure, whey protein can be found at GNC inform them of his health issues though.

Maybe his doctor can send out a referral for a nutritionist…? He’s got a lot going on it seems.

Have him smoke some weed or eat some edibles they might open up his appetite. It helped me with my mom.

7 Likes

Boost high protein. Three a day.

My grandfather was very skinny and 6ft and dialysis was making him drop weight so my aunt gave him protein shakes (not slim fast but ensure) and it helped some

Any of the shakes they have are pretty good like the ensures or boost- for weight gain helps with calories if he’s not able to eat much

1 Like

Boost has a high protein shake that we used to put weight on my daughter. They also said double stuff ores will pack it on :woman_shrugging:

Discuss those problems with your Dr He will know best in the circumstances

Take a ensure and mix 1 packet carnation drink mix ( they have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry) mix with ice cream to make a milk shake. That’s what Oncologists told us.

The something called complan for persons like him

Custard, chicken but try different recipes. Vegetables with cheese sauce and his likes, ensure shakes. It will take patience

He may need a feeding tube…talk with his doctor…it helped my father he was a diabetic plus heart and kidney also had 5 amputations

Protein shakes… put the veggies n fruit in it. Not in a glass cup. Buy powered protein if you have to. :yum:

Call senior services in your area.

Ensure protein drinks are a good start or any of the other protein shakes. They may not taste the best but you can buy some of them with 30mg of protein. It’s a good start!!!

1 Like

Carnation instant breakfast drinks

3 Likes

Protein shakes, you can add peanut butter to them also if you put it in the blender.

Ensure or just basic protein shakes

Maybe look into incorporating high-calorie drinks into his diet.

Nutra shakes. Ice cream,protein powder, peanut butter, cream

If he will eat tomato sauces like for pasta or cottage pies then cook his veg and blitz it and mix it in to the sauce

Protein shake ensure

Talk to his Dr about prescribing Megace. Only available by RX.

Milk shakes with protein powder

3 Likes

Protien protien protien!!! Look up bariatric diets (for people with weightloss surgery) it shows how to get in as much protien as possible with little amounts of food

Try to get your hands on some magic cups.

I’m a nurse, best thing to up calories quickly are magic pudding cups and 2K shakes.

I’m a nurse and I wouldn’t take any advice from anyone who has not looked over your father in laws medical history… he may be on a fluid restriction with kidney and heart issues etc. contact a dietician

6 Likes

Milk shakes with protein added. But you really should contact a dietitian, especially with his health concerns

1 Like

Give him protein shakes

Boost or Ensure with every meal for him I been in an out the hospital for the last six months an lost alot of weight I’m on low sodium diet no caffeine cakes cookies fast food I lost 25 pounds an I was already time before all 4 heart surgerys I had in the last 6 months I been home a month an drinking boost with my meals 3x a day I’ve gained weight back

1 Like

Protein shakes and vitamins and also things like eggs and also he needs carbs so even if you don’t eat the carbs because you are trying to lose weight make him some of the frozen biscuits and things like that

1 Like

Okay so this may sound silly but have to looked into looking up food and recipes and special diets on Tiktok?? Honestly I’ve never gotten so many different ideas for what to cook for so many different kinds of diet and picky eaters. Just a thought. Good luck :heart:

2 Likes

Talk to his doctor before you add anything but I would definitely look into weight building protien shakes

1 Like

Boost with ice cream , as is or in a milk shake.

1 Like

Protein/ calorie shakes for him. But definitely talk to his dr. They may recommend something special or even have something prescribed. After my grand father had a stroke they prescribed him a powder to go in pudding or milkshakes to help him with his weight and nutrition.

He needs to go to a rehab center where he can be taken care of properly

Protein. Protein. Protein

Orgain Organic plant protein shakes. You can add vegetables in it and some fruit and blend. My son doesn’t like veggies and this is how he gets them. He can’t even taste the veggies :yum:

Chips. Mash. Pasta. Natural yogurt. Full fat Cheeses. Doctors can give you this shake in a bottle, for weight gain. But the foods listed first are great for weight gain

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. At a loss of how to help my father in law - Mamas Uncut

High energy higher protein diet. Resource is what they use in hospitals. Maybe get help from a dietician also

Forticrem speak to the doctor you can usually get like shakes or yoghurts to help put weight on

Would he drink like a meal replacement shake? They have all the nutrients in them and have a decent calorie amount to them.

There are high calories drinks fortifies with vitamins etc, I think these need to be prescribed by a GP. Avoid frying, high fat dairy and sugar. Throw in plenty mushrooms as much as you can, make soup. Lots of purple foods if you can xx

Fresubin drinks available on prescription, full fat milk, cheese yoghurts, cream shots can add syrups to make more palatable . If he’s having mash add butter & whole fat milk . Anything that you can do to fortify . Milk powder is also great . Thick milkshakes with ice cream :innocent:

Have you tried ensure drinks ? High in protein

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. At a loss of how to help my father in law - Mamas Uncut

He needs to be seen by dietician and follow strict plans

42 Likes

Boost high protein drinks. Or ensure.
And definitely consult a nutritionist, if he has Medicare or Medicaid they should definitely cover it, call to see who’s in network

31 Likes

At his age and health let him have anything he will eat. What is it going to hurt his time is limited

20 Likes

Boost or Ensure are high in potassium, phosphorus and protein. If he has kidney problems it will damage his kidneys further . If he has Medicare Part B it will cover some or all cost for a nutritionist if his Dr. thinks he needs one. Get him (y’all) an appointment and go from there.

11 Likes

I’m a nurse and I work at eating Recovery Center he’s extremely underweight he can get liquid calories get him some ensure or something like that to go along with his meals at this point he may need a feeding tube like a G-tube or an NG Tube if he won’t eat to get enough nourishment for his body

11 Likes

Take him to the doctor. Discuss this with them. They know his body better than we do and can give you safe suggestions to help him.

8 Likes

Dietician would be your best bet. You need to make sure you stay away from certain things. With his weight and medical issues insurance should cover it. Also should cover things like ensure etc

8 Likes

He needs ensure! At minimum 3 a day. Ask him what foods he does like. He’s also grown. If he’s of sound mind but not body he still has the right to eat how he chooses within reason. But have a heart to heart with him. Tell him y’all love him enough to help him live. Then see what happens.

8 Likes

Ensure is great for gaining weight

13 Likes

Make a drs appt with him - giving him processed supplements will likely be too hard on his kidneys - in the meantime feed him low sugar foods that he likes and just have them prepped and on hand, if he doesn’t like fruit or veggies does he like Popsicles? Maybe make some blended fruit Popsicles and let him eat as many as he wants to and warm cups of bone broth (homemade for lower sodium, super easy in a crock pot) so that he is at least getting nutrients, I would also ask his Dr about a CBD supplement

10 Likes

He needs to be under medical supervision, and why has he become solely your responsibility. This is beyond your scope unless you are a home health care nurse with a nutrition emphasis. Good luck, but it’s ok to say this is beyond me. This is not intended to be a rude comment at all, but you also need to take care of you. :heart:

5 Likes

With all of his health problems you need to be talking to his dr. Not asking for advice from people on social media.

6 Likes

Protein powder…put it in milk two times a day. We do that with the elderly in the nursing home that are under weight. Ensure once to twice a day would be good too.

8 Likes

My Dad was 6’1 and weighed about the same, they ended up putting a port in his chest and he was on TPN 3 nights a week at home . I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, ask for help , talk to his Drs

6 Likes

With kidney issues (speaking as a mum to a kidney kid) they need high calorie fried foods as it gives more energy to the kidney to kick out the crap! Also it makes them have a nasty taste in their mouths so sometimes things we find tasty they find bland
Use double cream in his mash and things like that, scoop him a portion out and add if you have to,
Also try the high calorie shakes for him xx

4 Likes

My father was the same. I tried for years to help him gain weight but about 3 months ago he fell and had to be taken to the hospital. It’s then I found out he had lymphoma. That was the reason he was not gaining weight. Sadly to say my father passed away in August.

2 Likes

What he needs is to be seen by a Doctor, and he probably will arrange for a dietician to work with you so he can gain the weight he needs, with all the medical issues he have you can’t have anyone telling you what to do

1 Like

He needs to see a dietician. As someone who once suffered from anorexia, he can do serious damage trying to gain it back. Shock is a real thing. Especially to the gastrointestinal system.

1 Like

If he has serious heart, kidney & vascular issues, he needs to be followed very closely by his Physicians & a knowledgeable Dietician. Kidney issues alone present a myriad of dietary issues & it’s extremely difficult for patients to navigate much less try to come up with a plan for all 3 cardiac, kidney & vascular. I’ve been a kidney nurse for 20 years, I implore you to NOT try to handle this yourselves. You NEED all physicians involved here.

When my granny had dementia I made her smoothies every day. I put a scoop of protein powder and some whole milk and a scoop of ice cream and a spoon of peanut butter. She loved it. You can sub the milk for a boost or ensure

2 Likes

Please take him to his physician. There they will accesses him and a dietician will suggest his meals. Also therapy.

1 Like

Ensure will help him gain weight. Any medical problems on why he is so thin. At his height he should be more 200lbs

3 Likes

He needs a nutrition consultation. He would benefit with the ensure drinks (glucerna if diabetic) and probably vitamin supplements. Definitely try to reach out to his pcp for further help.

I’d start by consulting a nutritionist or dietician. Then I would get him drinking Ensure or something in the meantime until he sees the dietician and yous can devise a solid plan. Good luck.

My Dad was so skinny after esophageal cancer. He had to start drinking boost and ensure plus. He still hasn’t put on a lot but slowly getting there.

1 Like

When someone you love gets very ill. You don’t know where to turn to. Or ask questions. The Dr didn’t even tell me about 2-call the nurse did. I bless her everyday.

Ensure or Boost drinks … and ask him what he likes to eat and make it for him. You can stick to your food and make him his. Also make sure he isn’t eating alone … if no one eats with him he may not want to eat either. Speaking with his Dr and getting a referral to a registered dietitian will also be very helpful and necessary

1 Like

This is more of a question for your family nutritionist/health care provider… Not Dr Facebook… I hope you research ALL the suggestions you get here and run them through a DR first. Now I’m the shake aisle I know they make one to help you gain weight but I don’t know what it was called. When my grandma got MS and lost the ability to chew they put her on it… Honestly she deteriorated quickly after that happened so I don’t know how effective they are but it may be a between meal option? Maybe blend it with a scoop of ice cream -make it a shake? Good luck…

1 Like

I work in the care sector and have had to deal with lots of customer likes this, the thing to try to remember is everyone is different,
Nutritionist are amazing because of his added health issues you have to be careful what to give, social services should be able to help find someone local to you and put in a referral on your behalf or go through his doctor, good luck I know this can be heartbreaking to watch but hopefully with the right support you will get there X

This is actually something you guys should be asking his doctor. But in the spirit of answering questions, I knew a man who needed to gain weight and his doctor told him to have a bowl of ice cream a day.

His diet would be very specific for his medical conditions- would need way more info to give any kind of advice, let alone medical advice!

14 Likes

We used ensure to keep my husband from losing weight while getting chemo and it worked like a charm

There is a renal shake supplement
Ask the doc for a written prescription for it and you can get it on his insurance. Not cheap.

1 Like

My grandad used to get prescribed fortisip I think that’s what it’s called its a milk drink, could be worth a shot! Grandad still ate food but on the days he didn’t really have an appetite he would still have these

Can you add some high calorie drinks like a prescribed ensure?
(His doc can prescribe it due to failure to thrive, it gets covered by insurance)

marijuana ——

And if you can find anything that works better let me know. Hands down cure. I HAVE CROHNS , put it in his food make tea do whatever you have to do get it in his body.

1 Like

I work in medical…the doc I work for always suggests any type of protein drink to supplement when he won’t/cant/doesn’t eat. We used to refrigerate them and tell my grandfather it was a milkshake and he loved them

Get him ensure drinks or when my grandmother was sick we did McDonald’s or Arby’s shake.

There’s shakes loaded with calories and protein that we would give residents at nursing home I use to work at. Talk to Dr about it.

Go with to his doctor they may suggestions also qnd hearing it from a doctor will help.