At a loss of how to help my father in law

Premier protien drinks

Supplemental shakes!

Protein powder… Make him drink it, stick it in food, whatever you gotta do. I had to do that for my mom. I got her some weight gainer powder from GNC. It’s all about getting their calorie count up. Regardless of how they get them. A single drink has like 750 calories, plus the calories from the whole milk. Find something he really likes and make that a lot. For my mom it was steaks. I made steak once a week for her sometimes twice. She went from 97lbs and in about 5 months I had her up to 114. If appetite is the issue ask his doctor for an appetite stimulant or if cannabis is legal where you are hit the dispensary and ask them from something to help with his appetite in either edible or drop from. Good luck mama.

Fatten him up with Legumes, potatoes, real butter, breads, chicken and beef, pastas!!!

Contact an food nutritionist at the clinic or hospital

Peptamen and nutren are good liquid to use

Give him shakes with heavy calories and not you

Small frequent meals. Sunshine and exercise

Ensure along with meals. Steak/potatoes, avocado with any sandwich, nuts. I have always had a high metabolism so I have to do this

Smoothies!! Add alot of fats and nutrients in there.

When my dad was on a feeding tube and they wanted him to gain weight since he had lost so much the hospital gave him a specail ‘shake’ that seemed to help. I would suggest getting him in to see a dr and bringing up meal supplement drinks

1 Like

When my best friend was losing weight bc of cancer I got him boost or I’d get a box of carnation and whole milk. Also did shakes and added protein powder to them

Or rather, the Pediasure made for underweight kids.

Milk shakes all day every day

You need to contact the dietrian to see what he can & can’t eat also you might have to look into feeding tubes

Grind it up and put it in a thick like milk shake .

Ensure and boost! I would see a dietician if he will go. They can help you set up a high calorie diet and vitamin routine. I also suggest adding PB2 powder to his meals. It’s a peanut butter protein powder. It was suggested to me to help my son gain weight

15 Likes

Meal replacement shakes or Carnation Instant Breakfast chocolate malt. Throw in a banana or a scoop of peanut butter.

Not consulting the likes of social media would be a good start. Cue many Karen’s who ‘know’ what they’re doing

15 Likes

Gall home health oro. For help, tips

Take him to a dietician

As a former nurse for the elderly we recommend High Protein shakes like Insure 2 to 3xs a day, between meals.Fyi with the extra protien he may need a stool softener,The protien can cause back up until he gets use to it.
His doctor can also recommend nutritional supplementation.The shakes can be expensive especially name brand you can use a off brand as long as it has the same things.But his doc can write a script and insurance will often help.I would make the food you like,Offer it to him.If he is not interested you can’t force it just make suggestions kind of Like with kids.You can use a shake to replace meal if needed.

I would talk with a dietitian. But in the meantime, you could try adding in fruit smoothies with ensure & protein powder.

Protein shakes like muscle milk or ensure

Before you begin Any weight gaining regimen plz talk to his physician

Ensure and ice cream

hope he has a dr and nutritionist

I broke my jaw and was on a strictly soft food diet. I drank Ensure Max Protein and gained weight!

When my son was little an needed to gain weight I found the drink mixes to mix the milk and I never told him. There’s vanilla, choc,strawberry, mint, and snacks for it too. It helped get his weight up.

Protein powder and boost shakes

Smoothies with additives like vitamins and protein. Ice cream smoothies with fruit added?

1 Like

Ensure and boost are good for gaining

1 Like

Smoke some weed with him… he’ll get the munchies Jerky will be a good source of protein, and bread and potatoes to gain weight

Boost high protein drinks is what we used to give my dad’s friend and I’d use them to make smoothies

I would attend a doctors appointment with him and mention a medical Marijuana card (if it’s not fully legal in your location).

His doctor can help you come up with a diet for him as well.

11 Likes

Ensure will help his weight

Ensure drinks will help

Get the renal diet from the doctor or nurse and get creative. Keep trying frequent small high calorie foods

ensure but not too many due to the dairy aspect .

Milkshakes with ice cream and Boost. Tons of calories. (I’m a caregiver). Most people love these.

High calorie shakes. Ensure has a high calorie one.

eibles,stuff in a can u drink

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. At a loss of how to help my father in law - Mamas Uncut

Wal-Mart Equate 350cal nutritional drink. Only thing that worked on my emaciated mom after heart issues. She loves the chocolate and the texture.

8 Likes

Can u ask his Dr about having ensures. They help tremendously as long as it won’t affect his sugars and such.

8 Likes

your community should have resources. start with your local Department of aging, it might be a county or city department. check with Senior Centers. ask everyone you talk to if they know of other resources.

2 Likes

Have you talked to his doctor. His doctor can give him a prescription that can help him gain wait .How old is he and exactly what is his health issues. Because his kidney and heart and other issues may be way he can’t gain weight. So watch his weight and make sure he doesn’t lose any more weight it might be all you can do as long as he is eating a good diet.

1 Like

My daughter uses boost your primary care should be able to prescribe it and most insurance will cover it

2 Likes

If it is appetite thing, my dad had a medication that increases his appetite which helped with weight gain.

2 Likes

Shqkes like ensure… We do them for my grandfather. Many patients I’ve done home health for drink too for same reason. Good luck

Sounds like he may have an underlying issue… has he been checked medically? Age? We need sooo many more details

Try boost or a similar off brand drink they have glucose control…my very under weight mother drinks them with her meal and she has gained a healthy amount of weight

1 Like

Mother had a similar experience with her father. She mixed ensure powder in milk shakes for him 2 times a day and he loved them. He was able to actually get a little porky.:joy:

Definitely check with his doctor first, you can add ensure shakes or boost shakes to help him get the calories and protein he needs

Someone I grew up with use to drink boost with all meals everyday to help bulk himself up. He was tall and extra skinny too and never stopped eating but couldn’t gain weight

Dietitian. With kidney and heart issues he needs well portioned meals. With those issues high protein would NOT be good for kidneys.

Have his physician recommend a dietician to aid you with menu planning, etc. Ensure shakes can be used in pudding, etc., to add calories/nutrients.

I had to get my daughter’s weight up as she is an athlete and went through a several inch growth spurt w/i 6 months. Protein powder sprinkled on food, protein drinks, protein “candy” bars. He needs protein to build muscle and carbs to fill out the rest. Find some supplemental protein sources from the list above that he likes and load him up!

Ensure mixed with ice cream as a milkshake, regular milkshakes 2x daily. They also have boost its like ensure but juice form. What my doctor told me to do , I’m in the same boat can’t keep weight on and eating makes me sick.

Before listening to anyone on the internet. Ask a doctor. His doctor. Before trying all these things that may be more harmful than helpful. Anyone can tell you what they think may help or what the issue is. But when it comes to things like this. You should be asking a professional.

2 Likes

Feed him anything he wants to eat and lots of it. After I had my hysterectomy I could only eat beef. Still to this day have a very hard time eating pork and chicken it took me 7 years to gain back 60 lbs. I ate anything and everything my stomach could handle eat things like fast food that has a very high calorie intake. Ian unable to drink those shakes from the store. Like my doctor told me your are severely underweight eat as many calories and as many times a day that you can it will slowly start to come back up

Protein smoothies plus 3 meals and snacks everything he likes

Ensure mixed with ice cream.

Will he drink milk? Whole milk helps. Also adding plain or vanilla protein powder to stuff. Smoothies, pancake and waffle mix, oatmeal, muffins, etc. Also add cheese to stuff.

1 Like

Smoothies with peanut butter add spinach and kale and it blends in but you can’t taste it. My friend made these for her husband while he had chemo for esophageal cancer and he did amazing, losing very little weight.

Ensure supplemental drinks

Nuts are healthy fats & high calorie. Try making soup base using vegetables & beef bones then strain for a base to use in soups or sauces with pasta. Bean soups with pork. Whole milk, egg dishes & cheeses.

Make chocolate pudding, add peanut butter to it for extra calories. Carnations instant breakfast can add ice cream for extra calories.

Boost, ensure, premier protien

Liver is good for nutritional needs. Also make chocolate pudding with avocados. It will have healthy fats in it.

1 Like

Ensure and oatmeal cookies. You can use make them sugar free if needed.

1 Like

When my mom was on chemo and wouldn’t eat the doctors told us to get calorie packets that are flavorless and add them to her food or drink, whatever she could stomach.

1 Like

Peanut butter powder!

Fix him something like milk shakes that are high in calories and protein…

Boost drinks they helped me gain 10lbs in less then a month and it has a bunch of vitamins and stuff in it ! Make sure he eats three meals a day with drinking at least one glass/bottle of it a day!

Ensure or boost high protein products. Regular is fine but high protein should help him gain a little faster.

1 Like

Make oatmeal and add some of the breakfast essentials powder into it also try having him eat peanut butter on some bread

Pastas are good for putting on weight also you can get shakes that are designed to put on weight… make them with milk instead of water too

Ensures boost any nutritional drink will help.

Protein shakes, eaten with carbs, really helps to put on weight. You can find foods he likes, that he’ll eat and add veggies to it, without him knowing. For example, puree some veggies in the spaghetti sauce. He’ll never suspect. I do this with my daughter at times.

1 Like

I would definitely offer ensure with meals. V8 juice for veggy replacement.

1 Like

Snack cakes and ensure!! It works

1 Like

Sustagen hospital strengh . But looked at by dr first…giod luck

Calorie drinks designed for seniors. I keep them in my dads fridge because sometimes he just doesn’t want to eat and at least I know he’s getting nutrients

Protein shakes and blend in calories.

Have his vitamin and minerals checked. Copper and zinc imbalance will make you not want to eat. I’m sure there are others low vitamin d can make your immunity low.

Boost, protein powder in ice cream, they have medpass which is kind of like ensure.

Try and get your hands on Plumpy Nut. They are a ready-to-use therapeutic food for the malnourished.

Protein shakes such as Ensure or boost have been keeping my 93 year old grandmother going for a couple years now. She can’t swallow solids anymore and struggles with liquids. The shakes are thick and high in nutrients which may help. Ask his doctor and see if they believe that may help.

At the risk of upsetting any one he is his own worst enemy, so don’t beat yourself up if he can not help you help him js

He needs a diet order from his doctor you can easily then Google a meal to prepare for him there are many heart healthy high calorie foods always prepare enough for in-between snacks and as for you well just watch your carbs an a daily walk after supper reaps the best benefits cause your walking off calories you just ate

Eggs have every nutrient required by the human body to thrive except vitamin c. Seriously. Basic protein and lots of vitamins and minerals. Add some avocado and orange juice. Heart healthy fats and calories.

Have you tried the high calorie protein drinks? I drink boost for the vitamins and minerals but my dr says they give them to patients such as your fil

Vanilla icecream and vanilla protein powder mixed together like a milk shake.

Does he take pills ok they have vitamins one of vegetables and one of fruit maybe that can help also they have protein shakes different flavors

Talk to his doctors and get him to a dietician who can set up a meal plan to help you.

Ensures or magic cup Ice creams.