Autism running in families, thoughts?

I am trying to get advise and vote from as many people as possible. If you have one child diagnosed in the spectrum, what are the chances you would have another one? I am asking hoping to get answers from couple did their research and seek professional advice

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Autism running in families, thoughts? - Mamas Uncut

Talk to your Dr. I was told by people “with expirence” that my children will be autistic because their father was over 50. My OB with my daughter said it wasn’t fully researched. My OB with my son said the research on it is highly flawed & from her expirence it’s not as likely as I was told. My point is you can’t go by people’s expirences or research unless they have MD attached to their name. 1 family isn’t a test group. Average people aren’t educated enough to know which studies can be trusted or not. Talk to your OB, PCP & pediatrician. Get their thoughts on it. Don’t get medical opinions from FB.

1 Like

I have 3 kids only the oldest has autism. I went to genetic counseling. That’s the only way you’ll get some idea of your chances because it can vary even by small percentages.

My sister has four kids. And only the oldest is autistic.

2/5 of my kids are. My husband’s cousin is on the spectrum.

2/5 kids on spectrum. Another was just reevaluated and didn’t meet criteria for ASD so his dx was dropped. All boys, btw.

My son is my oldest and he is autistic, my daughter is Neurotypical

4 kids and only one has autism.

I swear my husband and my brother are autistic. My two older kids are nt our youngest is autistic but higher functioning. Nobody on my side or his side has been tested for autism.

My mom has me and my brother. Only my brother has autism

3 kids only one on spectrum

Only one of mine have it.

I think a few people in my husbands family have autism, they’ve never been tested. My oldest has autism (although teachers question his diagnosis) … his younger brother does not.

My father, my brother, me and all five of my children are asd

My sister has 4 kids and only 1 is autistic.

I have 3 kids only my oldest has autism. And my mom has me and my brother and only my brother has autism.

Mom of two, oldest daughter on the spectrum and has other issues, youngest son not on the spectrum but very intelligent.

So far 1 of 3 kids from my husband are Autistic. My husband has tendencies and so did his grandpa cousin on the side has 4 sons and 3 are autistic. So yes I believe it is genetic with the right conditions meaning you may have another child who is but you also may not.

Five children. One on the spectrum

I have 3 children, 2 of which are boys and both are on the spectrum (aspergers and Highfunctioning Autism). I have two sisters both with one of their boys on the spectrum. I definitely think it’s genetic

My sister has two girls the youngest has autism

I’ve read your chances are higher than average but I can’t recall how much higher.

My oldest is autistic. My 2 other children are neuro typical .