Baby won't stop scratching face

My son won’t stop destroying his face he’s 3 weeks old with scratches everywhere , mittens are all too big to stay on and socks he just rips or shakes off too. Any tips ?

10 Likes

Keep his nails filed down

4 Likes

Cut his nails. Hold his fingers kind of tight and pull back on the pad of his fingers and glide baby nail clippers across and cut them short. Or file them. Just be careful. He won’t mind, I promise!

They have mits that come above the elbow for when they have had surgery and whatnot.

1 Like

Target sells sleep and play sleepers (cotton sleepers) that have a fold over on the sleeve. They were awesome for us! Keeps their hands warm. Cloud island was one brand that had that feature.

1 Like

We did longer socks that took longer to shake off and we almost always noticed them slipping down.

Baby socks or baby shirts with hardcovers

2 Likes

I bite my sons nails because the clippers scare me being that little lol…

3 Likes

The make long sleeve onesies that fold over babies hands. Inside it won’t be to warm for him

1 Like

Gerber makes onesies with a flip over on the sleeve

1 Like

Clip his nails or you (the mother only) can chew them off gently with your teeth. Yes I did this with all three of my babies. Yes it was weird. No I’m not the only one. Lol

4 Likes

If you trim his nails… wait till he’s sleeping

3 Likes

I used to have to take an emery nail board and sand down my baby’s nails to keep her from scratching her face. I’d usually have my husband do it while I breastfed that way baby was distracted

1 Like

Try the onesies with the flip over sleeves, or some munch mits because they Velcro closed around baby’s wrist. :blush:

3 Likes

Get the onesies with the mittens that fold over…or try getting the mittens that have a Velcro strap! I’ve heard those two options are helpful. I only have those on my registry, none of the elastic ones or socks (footie pants instead) because everybody always complained to me about how mittens and socks come off and get lost and don’t really help

1 Like

File his nails while he sleeps. Swaddle.

get a onesie with mittens on them. the mittens at Walmart are smaller than the ones I’ve gotten at other places. if you wash and dry on high they will shrink. also, clip his nails while he’s asleep then file them. or bite them and then file them.

Outfits that fold over to make “mits” on the sleeves

2 Likes

Try a nail file. I was scared to clip their nails that little. Nail file worked.

File his nails. Onesie outfits where the mitten folds over the hands or snap on.

1 Like

Swaddle his hands down

Use the long sleeve onesies with the flip over mittens attached to the sleeves. So he cant shake them off. They’re attached to the outfit. They cuff over.

2 Likes

The onesies and gowns with the fold over mittens on the sleeves is the only thing that helped my baby, you could file and clip his nails and he would still manage to somehow scratch his face

1 Like

Sow a ribbon on to scratch mits and tie them on saves his poor little face

The insides with the hand cover things!

File his nails while he’s sleeping.

Clip and file his nails…

I put socks on his hands. You may even have to do longer socks. They stay on eat better. My baby scratched all the time too

Socks or clip his nails :person_shrugging:

Try to file his nails. I used the onsies with long sleeves that has the"built-in"mittens

3 Likes

File his nails and keep him tightly swaddle

1 Like

Gotta clip his nails often, and continue to put those mutts on him.

2 Likes

Onesies that have the built in mittens. Some sleepers have built in mittens as well. And file his nails while he is sleeping

2 Likes

They make Pj’s with the hands covered, so they can’t get them off. They were a lifesaver for me!

1 Like

We used onesies that had built in mittens that fold over his hands

1 Like

I would just file his nails and swaddle him tight at night. There are onsies that have built in mitts and is impossible for him to get free from.

Yes I love the onesies and sleepers with the mittens attached and if not just put mittens on and tape up around the wrist until you get some and get some baby nail clippers too

2 Likes

Find someone local that knits or crochets and have them make mittens that fit. Shouldn’t cost more than $5

Trim his nails. Do it when he’s sleeping if he fights too much while awake

3 Likes

Find the mittens that have Velcro straps and the tops that have built in mits

2 Likes

At feeding times I would chew the nails since they are so soft and it’s sometimes safer and easier than trying to clip them

you can buy jump suit that have the arm in them ok

2 Likes

Put some breast milk on the he scratches that will at least heal them cut his nails

2 Likes

Baby socks did the trick for my girls when they were little

They have pajamas with mittens sewn into them

1 Like

File his baby nails so they aren’t sharp and keep trying baby mittens

There are onesies that have mittens. They fold over their hands so they can’t cut themselves

I use to use sockswhen my kiss was babies

Soft tape to keep the mittens on

1 Like

If your scared to cut them with nail clippers try filing them?

Cut or file his nails

1 Like

I have filed my baby’s nails since she was born. I was too scared to clip them…she’s almost two I still file them.

I had a premature baby and i would put first the socks then the mittens like both together

2 Likes

If you don’t want to clip his nails, then just chew them off. Done it with my daughter and know I do it with my son, and I’ve never hurt either of them doing it

2 Likes

cutting or filing a baby’s nails, at any age, can be difficult for some depending on the baby. I had the same issue with my 2nd baby. Most of the time I could file his nails but in between time he would tear his face up when he got sleepy or upset. Mittens too big and socks he would always get off even at night. The only thing that worked for us were the onesies that fold over their hands like mittens.
-thankfully at 8 months he’s gotten out of doing that mess😊
Good luck!!

1 Like

I bit my babies nails. Filing never worked and I hated cutting them. It worked.:tipping_hand_woman:

1 Like

Night gowns with flip over sleeves easy to change and no one can the baby get hands free

5 Likes

File his nails and put baby oil on his face before bed time, my Dr recommended I do the baby oil and it helps somehow, must make it harder to scratch if the skin is slippery or something

A lot of newborn clothes have the folded over cover for hands

2 Likes

I bit my kids nails . I tried clipping my little sisters and I cut her finger . She’s 2 years older than my oldest …

1 Like

Cut the nails and file them when they sleep

File them, when you clip them it could still leave sharp edges

Buy the outfits that have the long sleeves to where they can be cuffed around the hands

2 Likes

File his nails but also u can get sleep suits where the sleeves fold over as mitts. I never used scratch mitts with my boys

Allergy causing the scratching ?

Look for some long sleeve white undershirts targets got the or did the ones that has the cuff that turns back to completely cover the hand baby will usually stop doing this after awhile but I always loved those shirts for newborns

Clip his nails when he us sleeping