Best cat litter to use?

Not mom related— those who have cats, what’s the best cat litter to use? We’re adopting a cat and I haven’t had a cat since I was little & have no idea which to use. One that stays the cleanest/less loose litter, and one that helps with the smell. Thanks!

10 Likes

All I ever use is tidy cat and I have had cats my whole life

2 Likes

Meijer brand is my favorite

I have 3 cats and use Clean Paws by Fresh Step.

1 Like

Pea husk for sure. We’ve tried almost every type I swear and that’s our favorite

Purina tidy cats with glade! :raised_hands:

Wood ones I found were great x

We just use the Walmart or rural king brands.

The best I’ve found is tidy car non clumping clay litter!

I just switched to the pellets and love them. I hated always having litter tracked everywhere and the dust was awful. Love the pellets.

4 Likes

I use tidy cat the big yellow tub I will switch up from the glade scented and the 24/7 one.

Pretty Litter - scoop every other day and change once a month. Love it

1 Like

Arm & Hammer “clump and seal” :100::ok_hand:t3:

I’ve always used fresh step

1 Like

I love the arm & hammer slide

3 Likes

Wood pellets!!! Works amazing!!

I have one cat. I use feline pine. It smells nice and the pellets become sandlike when the urine hits it. I change the box once a week without fail and I find it to be fine.

I use the “scoop free litterbox” and I’ve never been happier

Depends on the cat…they all like different things so try a few…especially if they refuse to use it…also pick what works for you…

I use Fresh Step Calm for my cat. I didn’t like Tidy Cat but haven’t tried it again in several years.

I use fresh step usually.

1 Like

Dr Else’s is amazing on Amazon!

1 Like

I’m having really good luck with Chewy brand clumping litter plus it gets delivered to my house. Don’t forget you really need an extra box per cat. It really cuts down on smell and scoop daily.

Tidy cats yellow container with the glade

1 Like

Arm and hammer stinks. Odour buster from pet store is amazing. You can’t even tell you have a cat in the house. One bag will last you a month.

Imo only the clumping ones work the best. I use special kitty from Walmart and after each cleaning I sprinkle in some carpet fresh and mix it around. After 3 weeks dump all litter, wash box with lysol or whatever you want to use and put fresh litter in. I also put a cone freshie on top of litterbox ( it’s an inclosed one) to keep our laundry room fresh smelling.

1 Like

Costco one is awesome and cheap!

1 Like

Scoop away is my personal favorite.
Tidy cats light weight is my boyfriends.

1 Like

I’ve tried them all and find that Scoop Away is the absolute best cat litter on the market.

Always fragrance free…:heavy_heart_exclamation:

Personally, I use pine pellets. Can’t even tell I have a cat

7 Likes

I use tidy cats glade scent. Definitely helps with odors and is pretty lightweight. As far as tracking, I’ve used many different litters and they all track just about the same and mine like to play in it :woman_facepalming: like its a sand castle and they like to fling it because apparently its fun for them. I have 8 indoor only cats (I know that probably sounds a bit crazy) and you can’t smell that I have cats. When people come to my house they don’t know I have cats until they see them. I keep their litter boxes (4) cleaned daily to every other day. I also have little tracking mats to help with the tracking. Just play around and see what works for you and what you like. Good luck with your furbaby

I like buying if in bulk at Costco. Scoop away. I like the price and that it’s in smaller packs in it so I can store it all in the garage and then just bring the smaller packs into the house. And it works just fine.

1 Like

Pretty litter! You won’t regret it!

Honestly I’ve always gone back to the cheapest stuff and just very regularly cleaned it. I found the crystal and pellets you can leave in longer my cats were jerks about lol but I can’t stand my house smelling like animals so I’m pretty ocd with making sure it’s clean and usable

We use Pretty Litter and it works good. You only have to clean out the poop because the pee you just mix in. It will also turn blue if the cat’s alkaline levels are out of balance.

VibrantLife crystal litter from Walmart…similar to Pretty Litter but less expensive… no odor, easy clean up… soooo much better than any type of clay litter

Use wood pellets (animal friendly)
Kiln dried. You can get a 40 lb bag at Tractor supply for $8.

If you can handle the maintenance, a sifting litter box with pine pellets is cost efficient and you can’t smell it. Just need to maintain once a day and I cleaned the litter box once a month when I had 3 cats. Never had a issue.

Pine or paper pellets, no smell and much less tracking. One bag lasts a long time as well.

A friend gave me a box of pretty litter and it kept digging into my feet. That made me wonder what it did to my cats digestion. ?

We use the kind that is used for the horses.

My favorite was Fresh Pet. Scented. The non scoop kind. The kind you change once a week. Nobody has time to scoop poop every day from a cat box.

Pretty litter is the best. Don’t let the price scare you because it will last a month and there’s no mess, no smell

3 Likes

Just going to throw this out there, whatever you choose, unscented is best for their health.

Scents can cause respiratory issues.

3 Likes

Fresh steps I’ve noticed contains the Odor the best for me. I hate the smell of litter so I get the febreeze one.

3 Likes

Have you seen the videos where they teach the cat to poo in the toilet? Isn’t that better than a litter box?

What ever you do, do not get the stuff with Charcoal. It sticks to their feet & gets all over your house.

I’ve been using special kitty from walmart for our 3. Very good and affordable. 0 smells.

I have 10 cats, 8 ive rescued and 2 came from a rescue. We use tidy cate from walmart, it comes in a 50lb bag for $14.

It hold smell better than anything else ive tried, one of our cats didnt like the sensation of pine pellets under the foot so he peed on the mat outside till we changed the litter back. Also PINE PELLETS DO NOT HOLD ANY SMELL! They make it worse in my opinion!

1 Like

I think it depends on the cat… I used Tidy cat Breeze system— pellets and pads with our 11 year old cat… when I changed from a clumping liter years ago… she took right to it… 2 years ago we adopted a cat from the humane society… slowly introduced him to the breeze system and thought he accepted it! For 1 1/2 years… I have been battling with him peeing on clothes… towels… in baskets… on beds… everything! I thought there was something wrong with the cat… that’s the reason that someone surrendered him and didn’t give all the info about him! As my last resort… I tried a different liter… I went back to a clay liter… clumping/unscented… the cat had only peed and pooped outside the liter box a couple times that I know of… my house no longer smells of cat pee!! If my girls don’t keep up the cat boxes they of course smell… but no more clothing!! I haven’t had to buy the jugs of cat pee formula in many months!! And the cat is alive and still living with us! Daisy went back to the clay liter no problem… so we switched both boxes back!!

I switch up the liter to what is the cheapest… I’m in Michigan and we have a store called Magoos… a pet store… sometimes they get different things in for a fraction of the price… so if it is clumping and unscented… I buy it… neither cat minds!

So whatever you try… make sure you watch your cat… if it starts peeing else where… try something different!! After all this time… I was ready to kill him or dump him back to the humane society… but we still have him… and things are going good!!

Good luck!!

I use horse bedding pellets from tractor supply. Less than 8$ for 40lbs and last about 2 weeks

I’ve tried everything with my 4 cats and target brand is the best I will never use another litter

Pretty Litter… no smell and no dust and can also tell you if your cat has a medical issue based on what color it turns when they pee.

2 Likes

Slide litter. Yes it’s pricey, but it keeps odors back and scoops up easier than all other litters.

1 Like

My pregnant nose never went away. When we first got our kitten I thought I was going to die it smelled so bad lol. I use this exclusively. It is pricey, but it out performs everything else I’ve tried by leaps and bounds.

2 Likes

I use the horse bedding pellets. Works great and is cheap.

I use pine pellets from tractor supply. I used to get arm and hammer slide, I was spending $15-$20 a month on litter. Now I spend $7 every 4-5 months or so. When i had just one cat, it lasted her 6 months. It is the easiest thing to do. It comes in a huge 40 pound bag and you just put enough to layer the bottom. When the pellets get wet, they turn to dust and you can easily scoop the poop. No sticking or clumping like crazy in the tray. When I had my kitten a few months ago, it took her a second to get used to it, I think she was using regular litter. But with my 5 year old cat, I used it then switched back to the slide litter because it is convenient, it’s right where their food is, but then the price I just couldn’t. Because wet food is expensive too and I have a dog also so it makes more sense. And she did great, even with me going back and forth.

Tractor supply clumping litter brand

Pine pellets! And bonus is they are super cheap. I recently tried the crystals to see if i like them better and nope about to go back to the pellets. I use them for my house rabbit’s litter box as well (and bonus is its flushable so for poops that are scooped daily i just flush them and then only time trash bags are needed is when I’m dumping the whole thing to refresh)

Or one that dosent fup the environment is also an option

I use wood pellets and they work great! Keeps the smell down and lasts for a long time. I buy a huge 40 lb bag at Tractor supply for only 7 bucks

Pretty litter! It’s amazing. But expensive.

We get the bagged cat litter from Walmart. Look it’s never going to smell great it’s poop and pee in a box. Keep it cleaned out, change the litter out completely once a month and scrub the litterbox. Eventually you will need to replace the box as it’s plastic and will absorb the smell. I would suggest getting a large plastic mat for desk chairs to put under it and then if you have a messy cat get a litter rug to help clear their paws.

If you use scents it can cause health issues for your cat these companies are selling litter to you not to the cat and loads of people want to mask the smell, don’t use any essential oils around the cat, start earlier with nail trims, get kitty used to a carrier and don’t do hand play. You’ve got this!!

Dr. Elsey’s :100:

I personally love tidy cats

I use the Genius Litter from Amazon. It is their version of the Pretty Litter. It has the health detector, very clean

Worlds best cat litter 1 bag lasts me 4 months with multiple cats.

I do like pretty litter, only have to scoop poop with it. I also like the litter boxes that do their own work and are covered, I purchased Snowy Brand and love it.

Arm and Hammer slide 100%!

Tidy Cats Free and Clean UNSCENTED… we tried unscented once and I will never go back.

If you’re adopting a cat, they will usually tell you what the cat is used to.

Pretty litter. Less mess. Almost eliminated the smell. One bag lasts my cat a month. Plus it can alert you to any health issues your kitty may be having! :slight_smile:

Only use fresh step, all the others smell horrible within a few days, fresh step lasts for weeks. It also clumps without crumbling as soon as you go to scoop.

We use Arm & Hammer Cloud Control. It clumps to make scooping easier and it doesn’t have all the dust like other cat litters do. We order it online from PetSmart.com and have it delivered right to our house

The pellets no smell left after business

Pine pellets il never use anything else they are like the cheapest and biodegradable