Best debit card for kids?

My kids have cashapp.

When my son gets old enough we are gonna do cashapp. My whole family uses it and itā€™s just easy to pay people or to send a quick buck while someone is on their way and can pick something up.

I use green light for my 5 kids.

1 Like

Have debit cards for my kids through my chase bank account

3 Likes

Cash App no monthly fees

Just get her a cashapp. Thatā€™s what we did with our teen . We just set it up and can add from ours or load cash at certain locations.

Extra is a debit card that you connect to your normal bank account, itā€™s only debit but it actually builds credit too.

1 Like

I heard good things about the greenlight app.

My kids are waiting on their cash app cards as we speak

Step card is a good one. You can set up an allowance or you can just send her money straight from your acct.

1 Like

Check out greenlight. You can add chores on there weekly or one time that you check off when completed and set a weekly allowance. They donā€™t get it unless itā€™s marked as done either. It will notify you when money is spent, allowance deposited, etc. It also has an option for a percentage to go to a savings acct that wonā€™t allow them to spend out of it and the main acct earns interest too.

2 Likes

If you have a chase account, first banking is great!

Step card have it for my 13 year old itā€™s great no fees and we both have an app so I can easily transfer money!!

My kids have greenlight cards. They can use them where they want and you can easily add money to it anytime.

2 Likes

I see kids with chime cards all the time

We use step and really like it. It builds credit too but acts like a debit card. I have a 9 year old and 17 year old. Works well for both

Bluebird by amex. Its through walmart. Zero fees ever. You get a free parent account, then you sign up for a childs acct. She gets a card with her name on it. You control how much goes on (or comes off) her card.

The only pitfall is its only accepted at places that take american express

1 Like

We got my step kids reloadable gift cards from our credit union. They have an app where we can send them money and they can watch their transactions. And their names were put on the card. It was a $5 fee per card and no monthly charge.

My kids to the step cads and we love it

I use step for my 11 year old

Just go to a bank open a saving account then she gets a debit card you just need to sign for her also no cost besides OCCU holds on to $25.00

3 Likes

Get her added on to your credit cardā€¦ Tell her that the only money on there is the money she earned for allowance. Then use the money she would have made on allowance to pay down what she spent on the card.
Debit cards are trash and keep you in a revolving door of living paycheck to paycheck. Teach her about credit and using other peopleā€™s money.

Do cash app just put her as if she was 13 thatā€™s when you can get it my daughter has one

My mom got my step dad a cashapp card because they both just used her bank account but he needed a separate card so she just sends him some money and he accepts it and it loads into his card. Super easy if someone canā€™t have or doesnā€™t need a bank account right now.

CashApp now does Cash For Teens by the way! Itā€™s available to kids 13-18. They just need a parent or guardian to sponsor the account.

Check your local credit Union and just get her own account up and rolling. Both my kids 4 & 11 have their own money market accounts that have a debit and savings account. We have the apps on our phones so we can help teach them about saving and stuff and most credit unions donā€™t charge fees.

1 Like

Can go to Walmart or a local store and a get a refillable
Debit card

My mom has one and you can bring it back and they can put money on it and use it anywhere

But make sure itā€™s refillable one

Best thing ever for kids couldnā€™t fault revolut
Join me and over 15 million users who love Revolut. Sign up with my link below: You were invited | Revolut

Join me and over 15 million users who love Revolut. Sign up with my link below: You were invited | Revolut

We use Greenlight for my daughter and it works great. You can add $ to it anytime, you can limit where sheā€™s allowed to spend, how much and can teach what sheā€™s bought.

1 Like

Chase bank offers that for kids

A kid under 13 shouldnt even have a debit card are you kidding me? :joy::joy::joy::woman_facepalming: dear lord

You can use cashapp for kids

Do you have a debit card with your bank account? With mine I can get additional debit cards connected to my account. Then I can add money to them.

My kids use chases kids accounts

1 Like

I use step banking I have an card and everything my mom Controls everything on it and she can even send me money it an really safe banking app

2 Likes

We use Greenlight for our 7 and 9 year old boys. We love it.

2 Likes

Walmart prepaid card will work!

Get a kids bank account.

Chase has a kids debit card thing. If you have an account with them they link the kids one to your account so you shouldnā€™t have to pay extra fees.

1 Like

We use greenlight, and they have the card and a savings account too

1 Like

What a Great Bonus Mom you are trying to teach her about managing her finances. I donā€™t know of any app, I just wanted to say itā€™s nice what you are doing :two_hearts:

2 Likes

We have gohenry and I love it

Greenlight. I have been thinking of doing the same thing.

If you bank with Chase they have a free one for kids that helps them learn about saving and spending

2 Likes

i used green light but got sick of payin the monthly fee

1 Like

Cash app works for certian ages under 18

Capital One has a teen debit card also

I just signed all my kids up for greenlight. They have a savings future so I plan on using that for them until they are old enough.

1 Like

My son has a kids account at chase. Before that we used Greenlight. Greenlight charged monthly so thatā€™s why we moved to chase with no fees.

Greenlight! Itā€™s easy to use and has so many options!

2 Likes

Greenlight is what we useā€¦love it!!

My kids have greenlight 2 13 year olds and a 6 year old. They love it and so do i. I can send money and they get it immediately. They can save or spend they can invest. Its pretty cool. One price for up to 5 cards. Cheapest i believe is 4.99 then it goes up i think 9.99 is the higest

1 Like

Why do people laugh at this? It teaches the responsibility. Greenlight. My son is 14

4 Likes

Use a pre paid visa.

My kids have greenlight and itā€™s amazing

We have a debit card for our 14 y.o. It is our account with her name under the description itā€™s a
checking one because our bank doesnā€™t give debit cards for a savings account. We monitor it and can add funds as needed, I do paperless statements so no monthly fee, it works for us.

1 Like

Greenlight! Itā€™s great

I use GoHenry. It allows you to put in chores. They check them off, you have to approve them. It also allows you to give up them a base pay or transfer money at anytime.

1 Like

Venmo and cash app have a card
Option

PayPal cash debit card

Should be able to just open a bank account for her

We have the bluebird card from walmart it cost 5$ to set it up then no feeā€™s after that not to no more load fees and no monthly fees and I can transfer money from main card to their card

I think you can go to any bank and open an account
My bank actually is a credit union and offers a lot of cool stuff for kids , they can get a debit card and the have a machine there that kids can put their cash and coins in and it puts that money on their debit card . They also give the kids all kinds of prizes and stuff itā€™s really cool. But yeah I would just open her an actual checking /savings account

Cash app
You can monitor it via app

1 Like

Go Henry and there was another can u not get her cash app or paypal

We have Spriggy. But it might be an Aussie thing.

UK here my boys have Gohenry

Go henry is good too

Iā€™m Canadian and we use MyDoh

Iā€™d recommend cashapp. I was using ā€œcurrentā€ for a while but itā€™s way too many unnecessary controls / fees

I have a venmo card. Free easy and nothing extra to use. You have full access to whatā€™s on her card and can monitor 100% whatā€™s spent. Maybe set up the venmo acct in her name so when sheā€™s old enough she can just have the accountā€¦

1 Like

Some banks have accounts for kids too. The way our bank set it up they linked the account to ours. They get their own debit card no over drafts. If my daughter wanted a pair of $40 shoes and she donā€™t have $40 in her account it it doesnā€™t go through. Itā€™s nice bc all I have to do is just transfer money over when needed.

3 Likes

Chase Bank (in the USA) has a debit card designed for kids that the parent monitors through an app on their phone (assuming the parent has an account with Chase bank). Iā€™ve considered getting a card for my daughter who is 13, since thereā€™s no fees associated with the card. Itā€™s definitely worth looking into.

1 Like

Check with programs banks and credit unions have. There are some specifically for kids and teaching them how to make their money work for them.

I donā€™t believe it!!

We just got our 12 yr old one through chase, it was free because we have an acct.

Yeah use Venmo or cash app or go bank ā€¦ all have cards.

We use Go Henry and love it for our kids. It lets us pay an allowance, add extra if needed, list of chores that get extra pay and a savings option.

Youā€™re kidding right