Best tablet for kids?

:exclamation:No bashing please​:exclamation:

Whats a good tablet for an 18 month old for learning. I plan to limit usage and ive tried learning dvds and my son isnt interested and doesn’t watch tv at all. I would like to know what tablets you all have for your little ones.

30 Likes

iPad for sure. I’ve tried the amazon tablet and android they’re so much more difficult and the icons are just jumbled I hate it haha.
I pad mini is what my 2 year old used!

Amazon Kids Fire Tablet. Has an excellent warranty and easy to control limits. Comes with a protective cover. We have two and have excellent results!

6 Likes

There’s a Vtech tablet

I prefer Social interaction (play centres,parks )and playing with toys reading books, number blocks ,learning shapes and colours through arrange of teaching methods.

7 Likes

We started out with just a basic cheaper priced tablet.

Just books and toys. Kids learn best through play. Not educational electronic games and TV etc

11 Likes

we have a kindle fire tablet…there r a bunch of free games as well as different learning activities on there as well as prime videos for learning shows

1 Like

The Amazon kids kindle comes with a year of Amazon FreeTime.
My baby has learned so much in language and math!!

1 Like

Books are better. Or puzzles. Outside time. Kids dont need tablets. Its been studied and proven that it messes with brain development (regardless on what the tablet is used for). Play is the best learning tool.

14 Likes

You could always do the old fashion thing and read to him.

7 Likes

My kids both have an Amazon fire for kids. They have yet to break them and there both over 2 years old. Never had any issues with them.

We used the Amazon kindle. Never had any issues.

I have the Amazon Kindle Kids edition for my son. He loves it and he has learned quite a bit with it. Almost ALL learning based games and videos and no access to YouTube or internet! Lots of puzzle/ vocabulary/number based apps! Reccomend HIGHLY!

1 Like

I think we used vtech stuff, but mostly we read and played games we made up. Oh and memory games, alphabet games stuff like that.

1 Like

We have the amazon kids tablet for my four year old. He just got it for Christmas. I wouldnt let my 18 month old on it yet as I feel she is to young for it. My son maybe gets to go on his like once or twice a week for a couple hours at most. We limit it to very little, but we do like to reward him from time to time.

1 Like

Kindle? I believe it’s $40 at Wal-Mart.
Google play store has free baby apps like popping bubbles nursery rymes etc

Ive always just downloaded kids learning and drawing aps on my phone and gave them play time with it.

iPad. Kindle was confusing to use.

Amazon kindle … plus on the ipad and laptop we have abcmouse so my 7 yr old and 2 yr old love it

If he doesn’t want to watch TV or play on a screen why are forcing it? He will eventually but why not just let him learn the way he’s supposed to until he’s ready

9 Likes

I HATE when people cant answer the question cause they are too busy telling you what you SHOULD do instead. :roll_eyes:

25 Likes

Honestly I don’t think a tablet should be used at this age. However, I can understand why; but the age you’re talking about doesn’t exactly understand why a tablet is in front of them. They think it’s more of whatever they wanna do then learning. But you’re the parent.

1 Like

Amazon kids fire or the PBS one

I think it’s supposed to be no screen time before 2 years old ya?

3 Likes

At 18 months old nothing. They still need to work on their motor skills. Real activities possibly books.

4 Likes

Get leap frog stuff not an actual tablet

Amazon fire tablets. I got my kids them for Christmas. They love it. It allows you to put them on just kids. And the can pick the games they learn. It helps with singing reading. And other activities

Both my kids have the amazon fire 8 free time it’s specifically for kids they have a lot of learning apps and books that read to them you can set parent controls and a set time for how long you want them on a day

1 Like

Pretty sure she didn’t ask we ther or not her child needed it. My kid uses a android for learning songs while we’re driving.

3 Likes

I just let my son use ours but some of that leap frog stuff is amazing for that age .

Leapfrog for sure. We got our son an android tablet when he was 4 now he has an iPad and he’s 5.

1 Like

They have nice tablets on Amazon for $50 kid proof. You can download kids youtube, abc mouse, they can take pictures, they can draw, download baby games, and it has a blue or green rubber case around it!

1 Like

Amazon fire kids edition

2 Likes

I put an app on my phone & on my kindle for my son. He’s very limited on it. We love Patty Shukla, Dave & Ava and Pink Fong. I hope this helps!

No screens for kids under 2 yo!

2 Likes

My neice has a PBS tablet. You can put PBS kids tv and games. Their educational shows and games. Can also do kids YouTube if you’d like but me personally I’d steer away from the YouTube.

2 Likes

Leapfrog! Don’t listen to the haters they dont parent your child.

8 Likes

Smh at all the judgement…

3 Likes

I recommend staying away from electronics. They get addicted so quick. Gave my 3 year old an old phone we had with some learning games on it. While he played them and learned things, he got really upset any time it needed charged. I took it away almost 2 months ago because of it. I’d stick to the papers. Flash cards, books, etc.

She put out that he doesn’t seem interested in tv or other screens so why push it?

3 Likes

Books read books. It may seem like their not interested but they can hear you and it works

8 Likes

But leap frog is a great idea.

What about the learning desks by vtech? It’s interactive and you can buy,different bundles pending on the child’s age. My 16 months old has this and loves to justt click around and play with it, but thats just the beginning of him learning.

3 Likes

Leap frog is cool… I personally liked giving my kids my old iPhones though.

1 Like

Amazon fire definitely! We have a HDX that my oldest got about 7 years ago and my 2.5 yr old uses it now and my 18 mo old gets on it a little. It’s held up well for being that old. I set up her own profile so she just has noggin, Disney, Netflix and a couple learning games. She just uses it in the evening and when we go out.

1 Like

I got my 3 and half year old a leap frog tablet and I let’s him play on it for 15 minutes

Kurio tablet. Had controls on it that you can set si they can only play certain times of day and for an allotted amount of time, preloaded with over 200 games. My daughter loved it.

2 Likes

Books, learning cards, wooden spoon, bols… :blush::v:

10 Likes

Don’t listen to the judgemental ones, at one point in time it was ok to put whiskery on a child’s gums to help with teething. My son loves his ipad and there are excellent learning apps. I would explore what type of apps are available on each app so you can pick the one that is best suited for what you want your child to watch and the type of security settings you are comfortable with. Times change as do the way babies are raised. As long as you aren’t using it as a babysit don’t worry about what others say. No matter what we as mothers do there will always be someone there criticizing your choices.

7 Likes

LeapFrog Epic! It advances as the child ages each year. Really cool

1 Like

Do what u feel is the best. Personal Mt Daughter has had one since she was two years old and she is 6 now and does really good in school. She has taught her self everything on her tablet. Knows how to download games and to text me and her Daddy. We first started on a tablet from Walmart where she could only have the Internet t home and ply games when she was away from home but since she is so good with the tablet we have went through T-Mobile now

Why do people think if your kid has an electronic device that that is the only interaction they get?? I use tablet with my grandson in the car, or when I’m cooking, or at times I am busy. He also gets tons of other attention and plays just like any other child. He just turned three and knows his colors, can count 1 thru 10, abcs and on and on

7 Likes

We have the amazon tablet for kids and my son has puzzles, ABC, 123 , shapes colors the whole 9 yards and it has a parent screen so you can monitor everything

2 Likes

Samsung Kids!!! Very durable!!!

First generation tablet called BOOK. Swiping wasn’t invented back then so everything is manual. Scroll up an down with your eyes, browse new content by turning the pages. Energy Star compliant. Buy or borrow. Most towns have these free to the public like shrines, it’s so bizarre but you can find thousands of these ancient tablets on pedestals there.

2 Likes

This thing. It comes with learning sheets that are double sided and has numbers letters body parts what’s in town like the school fire station. My son loved it and he’s now 5 and still plays with it. My 1 year old also loves it too and she’s already saying letters and numbers.

2 Likes

Its called. Mother or Father.

5 Likes

I have a cheap one so in case its gets broken im not that upset… But i will say allowing my 3 year old play educational games has really helped her…

Amazon tablet with like blue foam around it built for kids works great. I’d also recommend an ABCmouse subscription to go with it. My 3 year old son absolutely loves it! And he learns so much on there. Electronics are the future and we gotta teach our kids to use them responsibly.

1 Like

He may not be interested in sitting down to electronics yet. I have four kids and one of mine couldn’t sit still long enough to watch anything until it was time for bed.

1 Like

Amazon fire, the controls, warranty, all good

1 Like

Anything cheap that you can put a sd card in it for movies. Trust me my kids have gone throgh 4 already so I wouldn’t waste money on an expensive one

2 Likes

Some kids learn better and some kids have addiction issues.
I use an egg timer that tells mine the device will stop in 5 mins. Lol. That’s there time. I spread it out, esp with summer coming.
It’s helped my daughter and worked really well. We just set up the Kindle. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I bought leap frogs for my girls! They have tablets now I got them on amazon they were just a kiddo kind with a case!

1 Like

I found a cheap one at Wal-Mart for like $50, he barely uses it but it is a great thing when waiting long waits at dr office or when he is fed up with waiting anywhere.
And ignore these negative comments… Its no ones business but your own.

3 Likes

Why dont you get toys instead of electronics?

6 Likes

Start with a leapfrog

Dont buy them a tablet they are too young and will probably end up breaking it. Get them one of the pretend ones that sing the abcs and alfabet.

4 Likes

My kids use a samsung galaxy tab e 7 inch with a shock proof kid case

Children learn through play!!..at 18mnths just good ol fashion playing, and talking

4 Likes

My son is 2 and allow him to play shape sorting games and puzzles on my iPad but is limited to about 15 minutes a week lol. We do more hands on learning that screen time. But it’s your child up to you!

We have amazon fire. It’s an app tablet and we love it

My son is 3 and just has a hand me down iPad from my mom. He DOES learn from it. Just make sure they’re watching educational videos. Since he’s a little older than your kid, he has to earn his tablet time. I have flash cards for numbers to 20 and ABC’s. And he’s learned them all.

Try puzzles, books, stacking blocks, toy cars and trucks…children are little for such a short time, teach him to play or trouble will find you in the early teens

6 Likes

We use a Fire Tablet from Amazon. They are fairly inexpensive!

1 Like

Get a plastic tote ,the go to a thrift shop and buy hats, police hats, top hats, fireman helmets, capes, costumes, you know a tickle trunk. Also old gowns , flashy ones . When kids get together you’d be amazed what they come up with. Of all the stuff I had in my classroom for 35 years, the tickle trunk was the best thing for imaginative play!

4 Likes

We use the ipad and she has educational apps that help but she’s also autistic so it helps with her speech

I got one in the baby section at Walmart, it was like 20 bucks , and its touch screen and fun. My kid smashes it and drops it everywhere and it’s still going strong lol

1 Like

I’m pro technology. With that the iPad is the easiest for kids. I don’t recommend amazon fire just because of the App Store (I look for specific apps but if your just looking in general it’s ok)

My 3 year old has an amazon kids tablet and it has helped her tremendously with things she has been struggling with and she talks so much clearer since she started learning words from it. It only has kids learning games on it. It does cost 6 dollars a month after so long but it’s well worth it

We have an Amazon fire for our son, he only watches kids youtube and movies we put on it, and plays on the baby shark app

Mine has a Samsung galaxy tablet. She’s 19 months and got one for her birthday.

She loves it! She usually watches it after dinner and we turn it off about an hour before bed. We also downloaded games for her that she loves and has helped her talk more. (Yes I spend lots of time with her and teach her) but the games I play with her and the cartoons on YouTube helped her a lot, and it’s helpful when I need to get a few things done around the house.

Don’t let anyone bash you.
Everyone here watches tv, and there’s nothing wrong with a little entertainment so you can get a break.

I’m not bashing… but if he isn’t interested in dvds or the tv I’m not sure he’d want to watch a tablet. You may want to try a different type of learning. Everyone learns differently. He may be more interested in something more hands on.

5 Likes

Welcome to mainstream society… Where people use tablets to teach their kids… Try human interaction! Your kid shouldn’t even be trying to watch TV at 18 months old. :woman_facepalming: Screen time isn’t even supposed to be an hour a day and people got their kids living on YouTube and games cause it “teaches them”

Oh how I fear for our future.

5 Likes

iPad if you can afford it but get traditional toys and and learning devices

I love the teacher’s edition of the set 1-5 “Hooked On Phonics” and “Hooked on Numbers” Boxes 1-4…
Also for the starter ones…the Infant- Kindergarten DVD programs.
The HOP is not the ones sold in stores…this curriculum sells for around $250.

I bought my grand baby the kindle kids. She plays the scribble /draw one and has the kids books.

My 4 yr old just uses my old smart phone and watches her videos. Shes had it since she was bout 18months old the phone and her babies r what she takes special care of😂

The best teacher your soon could get id’s that irreplaceable hands on teaching from his parents

1 Like

I would hold off on the tablet. If you need ideas to keep him busy feel free to PM me :slight_smile: i dont want to bash at all because I know mamas need support rather than criticism. I think it’s just important to know that children at that age are very sensory oriented. They learn a lot through experience and exposure, trial and error, and being given opportunities to explore hands on. Limiting tablet time for my 5 year old is hard enough. When they like it, they really like it lol. It increases dopamine production in the brain so no wonder.

6 Likes

Kids YouTube is great. Strictly kid vids. And learning! My baby is 17 months and knows the melody of ABCs and can say some letters. She knows her body parts and the difference between shirt pants and shoes. Coco melon videos!!! OHHHHH!!! SESAME STREET! Sesame Street is diverse, educational, and easy to follow and learn. My baby loves it. She’ll watch it for a while lol

2 Likes