Can anyone tell me their experiences with Lexapro?

I finally saw a doctor for postpartum anxiety… 18 months later! They prescribed me Lexapro, and I have some weird side effects. Can anyone share their experiences with Lexapro?

8 Likes

If you don’t like the feeling you need to call your Dr and find something else. You shouldn’t feel weird.

1 Like

It made my suicidal thoughts go away but i couldnt feel happiness. I was dull.

Klonopin helps with my anxiety

Celexa is the only thing I can take that I don’t get weird side effects

That stuff was horrible for me. I was on for a month and a half. I couldn’t sleep, and had many panic attacks!

Over a 10 year time span I was on 4 different meds for postpartum depression. Lexapro not being one of them. In my experience I had every single side effect possible. At some point, I decided to just deal with them. Which turned out to be the worst choice I’ve ever made!! All my depression symptoms worsened and I began having horrible panic and anxiety. One day I woke up and decided I’d had enough…weened off the meds. Which was absolutely horrific. Got myself into therapy and dealt with all that was bothering me. Today I am script free…including high blood pressure meds. I’m giving you this background because I don’t believe the meds that are supposed to help us, help at all. They numb the issues we are holding onto. I also believe you have to do what is best for you and YOU alone. If you feel weird, checked out or anything out of your norm…speak to your dr and find the med that works for you or explore other options. One more thing. I was talking to my daughter who’s now 20…I have very little memory of her first 10 years. I contribute that to the meds. I’m sending good vibes to you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My son and I are both on it. I love it but just like all medication it effects everyone differently. I haven’t had any side effects.

The only issue I had was headaches in the beginning and now no issues at all. Definitely has helped with anxiety

That drug did not work for me. I started cutting while I took it. My depression got way worse. I ended up on effexor xr. Worked amazing

Consult your pharmacist

1 Like

Fine but everyone is different

When I took it years ago it made me droggy. Celexa has been much more effective for me, especially in winter months of depression.

I will never take it again. :joy: It’s different for everyone though.

My son takes 10mg lexapro for his anxiety and depression. He was so depressed. Never could get him to smile no matter where we went or what we did. And it has helped him alot. Hes finally back to outgoing, goofy, living self

I find I have a brain fog, and dry mouth. I prefer to take it before bed that way the brain fog doesn’t last as long. But other medications I’ve been on I’m zombie like

I was on it years ago. Kind of felt like a zombie all the time. I also had really weird dreams & chills, like sweating a lot. Different for everyone I’m sure, but I didn’t like it. The doctor at the time also told me it takes your body 2-3 weeks to get used to it

1 Like

I had what felt like a seizure on it. It’s different for everyone. Give it enough time to level out unless side effects become severe.

I didn’t sleep. For 2 weeks streight. Mood was good just didnt like the side effects. I was switched to zoloft and I feel way better

I wouldn’t cope without it. For the 1st 2 weeks I took 1/2 dose then went up to full dose. Been on it for 7 years

It worked great for me for about 6 or 7 months then I had to stop taking it because it no longer was working then I was switched to cymbalta

I took it for 3 days and had to stop. I had very strange side effects, made me feel very sick, sweats and could not sleep. During some moments felt like I was hallucinating, especially if laying in the dark. I was very scared after that to try any other antidepressants! But I tried Zoloft and had zero side effects and had great results within two weeks. Everyone’s body chemistry is different!

Weight gain and brain zaps.

Lexapro take 3-4wks to go through your system, after you get through them weeks you will feel normal. My husband takes it, and it’s lifesaver for him… he’s been on it for 3-4 years now.

I take 10mg of it and i love it. I had literally no side affects and it helped with my anxiety/depression so much. When i was pregnant i was on Zoloft and that made me so angry and spiteful, but the lexapro is amazing

I was on it for 9 years until recently it stopped working . It was a life saver for me .

2 Likes

.eat edible a lot safer then those pills I smoke I hate taking meds

It helped I guess but made me way to groggy to di anything and that didn’t really work with having a baby.

Extreme diarrhea!! Cannot take it or related celexa, try zoloft maybe? Thats what helped me

Zero sex drive, weight loss, and couple other things. Finally talked about it with doc and he added welbutrin because it counteracts the side effects. Both combined worked amazing.

It gave me horrible night terrors…panic attacks and dry mouth

It didn’t do anything to help my depression. I also take Vitamin D3, and Magnesium… still nothing.

Lexapro seriously helped me! I was on something else before & it made everything worse.

I gained over 20 pounds in a month on that’s stuff. It’s been extremely hard to lose as well.

1 Like

I went from being depressed to taking lexapro then became suicidal. Then absolutely no help from the doctor to wean me off.

1 Like

Lexapro has saved my life

I took it for a while and it was ok. My dr switched me to Buspar and like it much better, less side effects for me. No longer taking medication!

I took it after my daughter was born 2 years ago. I didn’t have any issues with it. I did notice a good change in my mood.

I gained weight and had weird dreams/night terrors but I also worked for a maximum security prison at the time. I have since left that job and no longer on my meds for a year now.

My thoughts on antidepressants… ( been through 6 types)
Oh here is the lowest dose meh you may gain a few lbs but not to worry…they make you feel ok some great (as they mask the problems) for ahh maybe 6 to 8 weeks some longer then your back to drs and here is a higher does…gains more weight …masks problems still and I can keep going with the cycle but you get it…so I end up 50lbs heavier more depressed because of that and still have depression. I just see therapists once a week and havent been on meds for 5 years. Im NOT saying dont take your meds just sharing my thoughts on them. I think that they make you more depressed and only mask problems.

1 Like

I been taking these and major help. 5-htp. One in the am and at night time too

1 Like

U take the generic and it helps, but I’ve seen where some people I know have issues with the generic.

Mine were positive. I actually lost some weight while I was on it.

Made me feel like a zombie! I HATED it. I am currently taking prestiq and it has be amazing, but I am going more holistic and getting away from big pharma.

I stared at a blank tv for hours , the the pharmacy told me my dose was above the DEA recommended dose so I weaned off . It helped for the reason I needed it , I was close to losing my sh*t over my ex and his actions . I think that’s why the doctor dosed me so I couldn’t hardly move .

Escitalopram is what ice been on, even throughout pregnancy. Its helped me a lot. Talk about everything with your doctor. A psychiatrist, not your gp.

I love it. It helps my anxiety so much. I’m on the lowest dose, like 10mg. My doctor had me start at half a pill for a week before I started taking a whole one so my body was slowly introduced, so i didnt turn into a zombie. I had some diarrhea when I first started but that quickly stopped. I really have no complaints about it. No weight gain headaches etc.

My friend on the other hand complains that she poops a lot more than she used to on it :woman_shrugging:

Ask your Dr. About Celexa

I’m not trying to scare you, just letting you know my experience with Lexapro…
I got prescribed the smallest dose (10 mg). I don’t like taking medication in the first place so I cut it in half. I worked in a nursing home at the time and felt safe taking it there. So I know Dr’s say you have to build it up in your system before it takes affect…well about 20 minutes after taking it I disappeared. You know how we constantly have that chit chat in our head all day, well it completely shut off! I couldn’t talk to myself, my inner voice had completely disappeared. It was cool, I could be in the present moment and just concentrate on my work, but man that night when it wore off… I was trying to sleep and all the chit chat that lexapro held off all day came rolling in like a tidal wave! My mind was racing, panic set in, I was shaking. It was horrible! That was my first and last dose of lexapro