Can babies have rice cereal?

My daughter drank WAYYY too much when she was 6weeks old so I started putting a little bit of rice in her bottles and it was much better. Told her Dr 2weeks later and her appointment and he said that it was fine :woman_shrugging:t2: started her on baby food at 3 months still said it was fineā€‹:woman_shrugging:t2: every baby is different

1 Like

You could try top up with formula, it fills them up for longer than breastmilk does, but I would only do that at night if you want to continue breastfeeding but 2 months is waaay to early for solids that baby is only 8 weeks old :flushed::flushed: even the baby farex says 4+ months

Ask your pediatrician not a Facebook page

4 Likes

All 3 of mine were started on rice cereal at 1 week old, they are now 19,13,and 9

3 Likes

I gave my oldest the rice cereal when she was about 2 or 3 months and my youngest a little over 3 months. They are just fine.

Itā€™s not recommended till 6 months and after.

1 Like

Please if you listen to anything you get off Facebook let it be thisā€¦ talk to your doctor!!!

3 Likes

Dr told me that feeding baby food before they are supposed to be will lead to allergies. Turns out he was right.

1 Like

Two months old is a growth spurt. Cluster feeding. Theyā€™re supposed to eat all the time. Rice cereal is not recommended until 6 months, if at all.

1 Like

i put rice cereal in my baby milk at 1 month old cus i could tell he wasnā€™t satisfiedā€¦ told the dr she said it was ok just not too much

1 Like

Itā€™s not good because their digestive system is in the middle of developing

3 Likes

Unless your pediatrician recommends that for something like acid reflux, Iā€™d advise not starting baby foods until you get the green light from their dr around 4-6M. They canā€™t hold their heads up well enough yet, and thicker foods like that can be a choking hazard. I thought my son was sitting well enough at 4M but his dr noticed his neck muscles were weak, so we waited. Plus their tummies are still developing. please ask your pediatrician before trying something like that! And always spoon feed and not add it to a bottle, when you do start. Just my mom advice :relaxed:

No baby needs food before 6 months. It can seriously damage their gut health and cause major issues down the track. Donā€™t listen to people with survivors bias, because there IS a risk. If you give your baby food before 6 months you are taking a risk.

2 Likes

Add a little bit if rice cereal to babys bottle.

1 Like

Nooo please dont!!! Its so dangerous if they choke and they arent allowed solids unless approved by a pediatrician!!! Dont harm your baby. Give them a paci/dummyā€¦sometimes they want to suckle. My daughter was the same at 2 months! She got better when I introduced a pacifier/dummy!

1 Like

Feed the baby on demand x

1 Like

Not all people will agree with feeding a baby so early but for me as a mom it helped my son was two months old when i started him on rice cereal at 3 weeks i stopped breastfeeding him as my milk was not feeding him i put him on Lactogen and still he wanted to drink constantly and crying alot so my mother in law said heā€™s hungry and the is not enough so i started him on rice cereal from that day on he was a happy baby. Both my boys was fed early my little girl on the other hand only started rice cereal at 4 months. Not all babyā€™s are the same go with ur instinct as a mom u know what ur baby needs.

2 Likes

Your babe is cluster feeding because of a growth spurt.
Their digestive system is not ready for anything other than breastmilk or formula.

1 Like

Ugh.
Baby eats what baby needs.
No.they cannot have cereal.

1 Like

That young Definitely not.

1 Like

Try a goat milk formula, its more nutritious. It could be quite expensive, but my nerves are okay now, i sleep more at nights, he is super chunky at 4 mouths, even though he eats only 4 ounces every three hours. At nights he sleeps longer. When he was on a cow based formula i barely slept, he wanted to eat constantly.

Why are you asking strangers on Facebook about nutritional information for your INFANT?? Call your pediatrician. SMH

2 Likes

Cluster feeding!! It happens at 2 weeks 3 weeks 6 weeks and 2 months 3 months and 6 months.
I know itā€™s tough especially when breastfeeding but you can do it!

Babies are super in tune with their bodies and do not overeat, they are just going through growth spurts!

1 Like

No just no. Use hungry baby milk is necessary. God lord baby canā€™t digest it as good older babies

No such thing as a baby who eats to much. Theyā€™re growing

3 Likes

I started my baby at 3 months

First off, who told you your baby eats too much?

3 Likes

Babies canā€™t eat too much. Unless bottle fed and youā€™re not following their cues. Itā€™s totally normal for babys to cluster feed around this time. They need the extra nutrients for all the growing theyā€™re doing. Solids or anything other than formula or breastmilk isnā€™t advised until 6 months. It can actually hurt their digestive system and cause food adversion if started too soon. If baby is hungry feed them.

3 Likes

You need to talk to the pediatrician. If they arenā€™t concerned about weight or how much baby is eating then you shouldnā€™t either. Also, Google ā€œheavy metalsā€ in baby food/rice cereal. Your mind will probably change pretty fast.

Your baby doesnā€™t eat too much. Your baby knows how much he needs.

Add a scoop of formula but lord please donā€™t add rice

2 Likes

Cluster feeding. Heā€™s going through a growth spurt.

3 Likes

Speak to your pediatrician. Most donā€™t recommend feeding until at least 6 months, others 4 months. Never 2 months.

3 Likes

Absolutely not. Babies cannot process rice, it messes their little tummies up. Your little one can never eat ā€œtoo muchā€. Theyā€™re eating off of instinct. So if their little bodies are hungry, theyā€™re going to eat. If you feel concerned, contact your childā€™s pediatrician please. They go through the same stages that breastfed babies do. Itā€™s considered cluster feedings. Most babies do it when theyā€™re hitting a growth spurt or sleep regression.

3 Likes

Yes!! The rice will fill them up as opposed to a liquid and they will sleep thru the night.

7 Likes

You do whats best for your baby. Talk to the pediatrician about what moves would be best if you truly feel hes over doing it. No mom shaming here! Trust your instincts! I agree with the others about the cluster feeding.

Enough with the negatives
She could be a first time mom. Instead of negativity. You should tell her what she can and cannot give her baby.

Now when I was a first time mom. I always timed my baby when he needed to be fed. It was every 4hiurs the most. Sometimes every 2 cuz he works wake up from a short nap. But I would make him baby tea so that he wouldnā€™t have too much milk. Cuz he would be constipated. So yes baby is gonna eat a lot. And thatā€™s totally normal. Once he hits the 4-5 month stage. Thatā€™s when you can start introducing him to baby food/ table food. My baby never liked baby food. Or the cerial. So I gave him table food. I started off with the basics. Fruits and vegetables. Boiled them. Then blended them. Every week would be one fruit. One vegetable. Then I introduced him to mashed potatoes. Things like that.

2 Likes

I def wouldnā€™t at that age.

1 Like

Rice cereal isnā€™t recommended til they can open their mouth to a spoon and have the chewing motion.

1 Like

I highly doubt your baby is over eating, unless heā€™s overweight babies just eat a lot.

1 Like

My kids are now 50 & 48 yrs old. We feed them rice cereal within a wk after they were home. My son ( my last) start veggies at a month ,etc ( that is what they did back then ). Since he ate every 3 hrs around the clock until he was 9 months old & cut his first tooth ( top one. Thatā€™s right . That was his first tooth) then he slept 12 hr nights We gave them whole milk @ 3 months. I know , a little different since then . We also put a little rice cereal in the bottle hoping they will sleep longer. Again with him, it didnā€™t work. By 1 month both of my kids were eating 2 strain jars for lunch & dinner, ( one veggie & one fruit) bowl of cereal in morning with fruit & many bottles in between. Both were never fat chucky kids. But then again things were different back then. And they rarely ever got sick. . But as a M/B RN i always tell my moms to talk to their babyā€™s Pedi. And if one us not happy with them, find a new one.

8 Likes

You let that baby eat as much as it wants

6 Likes

I started my son @2months helped him get full formula didnā€™t do him so the Pediatrician said start him on oatmeal not rice.he grown now and is healthy.

1 Like

Rice cereal has no benefits so Iā€™d personally stay away from it. Also 2 months would be too young for it anyway.

1 Like

My sons pediatrician told le not to give him anything until 16 weeks

2 Likes

Not at 2 months, 4months would be okay but they advice 6months now. I donā€™t know what you mean by eating too much but you could try an extra ounce in the bottle and try make baby go a bit longer inbetweenā€¦ dummies are great :blush: or your baby could have colic? That makes them think theyā€™re more hungry :confused:

2 Likes

Yes they can however they get constipation from it oatmeal baby cereal is better. My boys would eat every hour a fu bottle and the doctor said add a table spoon. It helped and slowly I had to increase it to an oz for a full bottle. However alway check with the doctor.

1 Like

Dangerous territory to ask this question. Lots of FB Parenting PhDs come out. Trust your instinct and find a pediatrician you trust. All 3 of my bio kids had rice in their bottles at relatively young ages (2 to 6 months) and are perfectly healthy. Thereā€™s more than 1 way to accomplish everything and no child is the same as every other.

3 Likes

2 months old is way too young! Pediatricians donā€™t recommend they start any food until 4-6 months old

1 Like

No food until 6 months and avoid rice cereal. Thereā€™s no nutritional value to it. Keep feeding the baby formula or breastmilk. Probably going thru a growth spurt :heart: Also, babies donā€™t overeat. They eat until theyā€™re full and stop.

4 Likes

I had to start giving my 3 month old rice to her bottles, because she kept vomiting up formula every time she ate. As long as your pediatrician says itā€™s okay, then itā€™s perfectly fine.

One of six kids had to have a teaspoon of rice Cereal in Their bottle at bedtime. Mixed into the formula. This was at 2 months. Hugs. All babies are different in some way.

1 Like

No no no no no.
At 2 months they are NOT ready for food.

They do not ā€œovereatā€, they have very small stomachs.

3 Likes

I mixed a little in formula ā€¦helped alot

1 Like

Just ask Dr my kids all 5 started at 1 to 2 months. They are now adults and Iā€™m not that old . So.if dr say go then donā€™t listen to negative things about the kids

2 Likes

My son has acid reflux really bad and instead of medicine they said a teaspoon per ounce of formula of single grain oatmeal which helped tremendously and he was about a month old when they told me to start it

No. Solids are recommended only at 6+ months.
Over feeding milk is a thing. Babies stomachs get stretched out. Pace feeding from birth is highly recommended so babies donā€™t over eat and stretch out their bellies.
Also, babies donā€™t just cry and suckle because theyā€™re hungry, they do it for comfort. They donā€™t always need to be drinking milk and large amounts of it. The smaller bottles, more frequently is recommended, I believe the recommended amount of formula per day 24-32oz per 24 hours. Doing 2-3oz bottles every 2 hours or so, is better then 6oz bottles at one time every 3-4 hours etc etc.

5 Likes

There is a formula called Enfamil AR. Both of daughters had to have it because they had bad refluxes when eating. It is called AR because it has added rice.

1 Like

Started all of my children on rice at 2 months. They were happier babies.

1 Like

Ask your baby dr cuz my dr ate way to much where she would vomit her milk n want more at 2 wks her dr told me to add just alil bit of rice cereal in her milk cuz her milk did not full her up so i did by the time she was 1 she weighed 45 lbs now she 18 tall n thin

My daughter pediatrician put her on cereal when she was a month old due to bad acid reflux an she was also premature she is 6 months now but if the doctor says itā€™s okay than you good

Itā€™s your child. Do what you think is best. Most Dr say no but both my kids had cereal at that time and are fine.

1 Like

I started my daughter back in 1978 on Rice cereal at night (I breast feed,)but my daughter was just eating enough to satisfy her self not sleeping thru the night so at 6 WEEKā€™S my Dr had me start out giving her Rice cereal starting with just an oz at first she was sleeping thru the night RIGHT AWAY. SHES 44 today mother if 2 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:thatā€™s my story so my answer is a BIG FAT YES

1 Like

All 4 of mine started rice in the bottle around 1-2 months. Due to acid reflux, it was recommended by my doctor.
It may cause some extra gas or constipation to begin with.

Babies eat in demand I remember both mine ate a lot at 2 months but itā€™s normal!

Not to stop them from eating. Itā€™s only gonna help with reflux

Yes, start off with putting some in bottle then practice on spoon get em ready to introduce some baby foods after a month or so then start off with a fruit or vegetable.

Try Enfamil AR if feeding formula as already has rice cereal due to ALOT of babies having severe refluxā€¦If breastfeeding (which I did add 1 teaspoon cereal to every 2 oz breast milk. Worked wonders ony daughters. Did this with my oldest and it was amazing the change in her sleep patterns and how often she was breastfeeding. She is now pregnant by with her first.

Rice cereal has no nutritional value. Unless instructed by babies dr then it shouldnt be given in the bottle because it can be a choking hazard.

3 Likes

i did with all mine with no issues
just start off with 2 tsp
and go up from their

If you want to kill the baby!

Babies eat on demand. They have to eat every 2-3 hours bc they need nutrients, bc theyā€™re growing. Babies need formula or breast milk until age 1. Food before 1 is just for fun/learning. Your baby could be cluster feeding. Keep feeding formula or breast milk.

2 Likes

if your babies having way to much formula at young age a little bit of infant ceral wont hurt i was young turned out fine all 3 of my girls were like 3-4 months old when got cereal because was not full on just formula alone. but if want to know if ok to ask your babies dr.

No a baby cant digest it and definitely not in a bottle so lazy !!

2 Likes

and there is special bottles for cereal if still have them i use to have with my oldest with big enough holes in them.

Can u not try a different formula there are loads out there that are made for hungrier babies I started all mine on solid foods at 3/4 months old but Iā€™m not sure about 2 months I think that maybe too young defo consult with a gp before doing anything

No. And your child is 2 months old. I GUARANTEE he doesnā€™t ā€œeat entirely way too muchā€

Gtfo here.

6 Likes

No! Babies can choke on rice and cereal!

1 Like

Definitely not at 2months old. The earliest Iā€™ve heard of it safely being done is 4-5months. Mainly because their tummies canā€™t digest it, and for 2), because they need to be sitting with minimal support

1 Like

6 months old before anything other than formula or breastmilk.

Always check with your pediatrician before giving something new to your baby but Iā€™d say 2 months is too young for anything other than formula/breastmilk

2 Likes

They say to start with oatmeal now It use to be rice cereal.

Talk with your doctor. My son did a tiny bit of cereal for reflux and then he did more around 4 months.

1 Like

You need to be asking your pediatricianā€¦ not strangers. And definitely no because baby is only 2 monthsā€¦these posts are so crazy it makes you question if they are real and makes you realize some things about people and this world.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve done it will all 3 of my boys. Really loose liquid cereal not in bottle on a spoon

1 Like

My pediatrician put my daughter on cearl

My daughter was only about a month old when her pediatrician told me to add cereal into her formula because she wasnā€™t getting full from formula alone. She was eating every 30-45 minutes with just formula. Talk to your pediatrician about your concerns and they will direct you on what to do.

1 Like

How does a 2 month old eat to much? TF?

5 Likes

Every baby is different are used to do a tablespoon in with the bottle

Yes you can mix cereal in with the milk in the bottle thatā€™s what I would do just a little bit

Holy oh no no no 2 months is not old enough to do that. Babies are not going to eat too much they eat what they need.

4 Likes

Old school practice will tell you yes but science has progressed and newer practice/pediatricians will suggest no.

3 Likes

Back when I had my older daughter in 2006, her pediatrician recommended I start rice cereal at 3 months, but now I believe the general recommendations for ā€œsolidsā€ is 6 months. Ask your babyā€™s dr what they recommend for your specific circumstance

I canā€™t even with these comments. Please just call your Dr. Cereal isnā€™t okay at that age or anytime before they can have actually baby food WITH a spoon. Am I the only parent that did any kind of research before my child was born??

15 Likes

Donā€™t listen to a single person on this and go talk to your childā€™s Dr let them tell you no

4 Likes

Just remember your babyā€™s stomach is as big as his fist.

1 Like

Have you increased the ounces before considering this? Im just confused on how a 2 month old eats " to much". Newborns eatā€¦ Alot ā€¦they are time consumingā€¦ Its not easy butā€¦just feed her

7 Likes

All the Karenā€™s will say no. Itā€™s ur baby. All 4 of my kids (18,10,6,3) had it I even put it in their bottle :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

All three of mine were eating at 2 months

4 Likes

Literally, he just came out of your hole two months ago. So heā€™s still brand new.

Let him drink all his milk (boob milk and formula (whichever))- itā€™s all that he needs right now. Heā€™s supposed to drink as much as he wants right now- thatā€™s how they grow and get the nutrients and protein they need.
Rice is way too early until heā€™s 6m or a year old- I forgot which one, but definitely not two months.

Everyone on this thread feed their babies differently. I highly suggest talking/asking your Pediatrician. Only they can help you. Not a bunch of random women. Please be smart, when in doubt, ask. the. pediatrician.

7 Likes