Can blood tests have false negatives?

Please keep anonymous; I was wondering can a blood test come out wrong??? long story short, I was on birth control till about a week ago; I was supposed to have a period on the 17th of last month and didn’t, so I went in last week to do a blood test, and it came out negative it was after I took two home pregnancy a couple of days apart that were negative, but I’ve been having pregnancy symptoms nausea, fatigue, my moods change quickly, and I’ve been really emotional lately, I just had my daughter six months ago and got on birth control a few weeks after so is there a chance I am but tested too early???

13 Likes

Nope, they are pretty accurate

I’m not a doctor but I have had 4 pregnancies and i know that the most accurate pregnancy test is a blood test. It will pick up even the minimalist of hcg. From what I was told it can pick it up at 2 weeks pregnant.

Usually no. If you just stopped birth control it probably just your body trying to regulate itself again.

14 Likes

All these symptoms can be caused by hormones alone.

3 Likes

Blood tests are pretty accurate but 19yrs ago (tests have come further since then) my first blood test came back negative…a second test a week later came back inconclusive then the third revealed that i was indeed pregnant…stress, diet ect can bring about all these symptoms too…hope you get your answers soon x

1 Like

Probably related to your starting and stop of the bc

4 Likes

You stopped north control, that alone can cause all those symptoms.

6 Likes

Could be symptoms of the birth control on. Lo Lestra Fe made me nauseous and tired all the time. Switched to Nortrel…better fit. No side effects

Nope blood tests are pretty accurate. u just stopped birth control a week ago u wouldn’t get symptoms that fast it’s because ur body was getting used to the birth control and now it has to get used to being off it

1 Like

You just came off of birth control? It’s going to take time for your hormones to balance themselves. That could be why you’re having these symptoms. Also will mess with period for a month or two.

3 Likes

I get pcos bad after i had my third child

I would say no. I was only 1 week pregnant with my youngest son and completely unaware that I was pregnant (no symptoms yet) when a hospital blood test picked up the hcg hormone.

1 Like

Blood test always come out right. I found out I was pregnant when I was 3 weeks along through blood test

Could be your bc messing with you. Especially if you just recently came off it. It’ll be a while before your body bounces back to normal.
I’m pretty sure a blood test wouldnt come back wrong or inconclusive.

Birth control can give u symptoms but its just your hormones

No you just stopped taken it it’s going to throw your body off

It could be just your body adjusting…but my sister in law had negative blood test…and it should of been a positive as she have birth to a boy

With my oldest my blood test was negative :woman_shrugging:t2: I took the blood test a week after my missed period and then the home test two weeks later. I did not have sex in between the two dates.

1 Like

Those symptoms can all be caused by the change in hormones from stopping the BC

1 Like

I’ve had a false positive result before, but it was for something else and not pregnancy.

Yes. I’ve had a false negative so I didn’t know I was pregnant with my youngest til I felt her moving because I was also still getting my period

Were you breast feeding and on the breastfeeding pill?

I had a negative blood test and was pregnant with my youngest!

I was on a birth control for a couple of months that made me feel like I was pregnant after I had my oldest… I swore that I was pregnant again. I didn’t have a period either while I was taking it. I took several home pregnancy tests all negative. I went to my OB and he changed my birth control and it all stopped…

Birth control pills really messed me up when I quit them. Periods were irregular and felt like you. Mine was a hormonal imbalance. Took medication to keep me balanced.

Your hormones are dealing with the lack of added hormones from stopping your birth control. This is normal to go through and not an indicator of pregnancy. It takes time for your body to adjust to being off a medication, the same as it does to adjust to beginning one.

It’s your body adjusting to no birth control

That used to happen to me, stressing that you might be pregnant for some reason will make your period not come, I think it’s the anxiety.

Go back again at 8 weeks to get tested for pregnancy… it is possible. The blood test is not absolutely fail proof for everyone. I’ve been pregnant and they told me no until I came back farther along before… what they are testing for is a hormone that your body makes when you’re pregnant and they have a number range for the levels present in your body,if the hormone is there but not as high as they think it should be they’ll tell you it’s negative.

these posts just keep getting more stupid

Yes , 1st child blood test was wrong… 2nd it was right. 3rd it didn’t show on blood test till I was 2 months pregnant.

Blood tests from a doctor test your hormone levels it’s not a positive or negative n if your HCG is over (I think don’t take this as fact over )10,000 then your pregnant but taken at a doctor or hospital it’s not a positive negative thing so u may not be far along enough n I’d wait n go back to a doctor in a couple weeks if you still don’t get your period because age weight loss diet stress n other medical problems can come into play aswell