Can I get child support from someone in prison?

my ex and baby daddy is in prison for like 10 years. how can I get some child support?

75 Likes

Child support agency and make sure they know all the information on him.

Try getting it thru your state : he will have to pay it back once he’s out

Google said if they r in a work release program but if not it is hard to put them on child support

U have to file for cash benefits through your state. If he’s incarcerated whatever he owes just builds up.

Just wait till he gets out and gets a job but then allot of times they quit because they do not want to pay it but if they do not work toward SSecurity when it’s time they will not get it .

You can file now, and whenever he gets out and starts working, they will automatically take a portion of his check and give it to you for back Child Support

1 Like

Pick better baby daddies :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Most likely no unless he gets some kind of state aid like ssi

I believe payment is put on hold if they are incarcerated in most states.

7 Likes

Depends on the state. Oregon will halt child support payments while someone is incarcerated but resume them once they are released

In Georgia, you can apply for TANF through DFCS. But you have to do certain stuff to keep it like apply for many jobs a month and attend job fairs.

2 Likes

Only if he is working in there. When my ex was I was getting 2-5 dollars a month. I thought ok this is strange. So I called my caseworker and she said it is something state picks up if they are working in there so much goes to childsupport

Where I’m from it’s called Wv works it like cash assistance up to i believe $400 a month they do the child support side of it you just have to be willing to give the info and since he’s in jail I believe they will pay up to 12 or 18 months and when he’s released he is responsible to pay that back on top of what the child support payments are that the judge gives him I know it’s not much considering he’s in there for 10 years but it’s a start and you can refill every 12 months

It can build up while their in and they’ll have to start paying in back when their out. But you have to have it ordered.

3 Likes

Speak with a lawyer to get the best advice

1 Like

You can’t get child support from someone incarcerated

You will probably have to go through the state.

Some people may not agree with me but in this situation it might not be best to even apply. You know while he’s in there you aren’t getting much more than a few dollars if anything. Idk what he’s in for but when he gets out he’s already gonna be having a hard time getting on his feet then you wanna slap him with a bunch of back child support. And we wonder in this country why people so often go back to crime and end up back locked up. He can’t support your child rn. If he’s a good dad and wants to be in your child’s life have that discussion when he gets out. Then if he doesn’t start helping apply for support then. Otherwise try to be human about it. You aren’t gonna get :poop: rn anyways so no use even applying tbh.

11 Likes

ADC through the state is the only way you’re gonna get any support.

They sound like great role models. I say move on, you won’t get anything.

5 Likes

You can try. But if he’s never been served papers, that’s a great place for him to be served and then when he gets out he’ll have been served at least so that you can start getting it from him when he gets out.

4 Likes

Not sure about the states
But here in Australia you can’t get child support if the other parent is serving a prison sentence

The highest paying job in PA State Prison is the Barber and he earns .42 per hour. Most inmates jobs pay .27-.35 per hour. It’s usually about $15 per week. If they have restitution 1/2 of that goes towards that.

In Australia you can not go for custody or get child support if in jail

1 Like

He would need to file a request to serve the remainder of his sentence on work release. you might be able to get child support if the sentence modification is granted.

1 Like

I put my x husband in for 10 years , child support stops until they get out but a month prior to the release u can reopen the case and they would retract the child support for the 10 years

How would you get child support?!

17 Likes

Are you really that desperate :smirk:

5 Likes

Unless he’s on work release, how is he going to have income to pay you? Depending on the state, if you had a child support order prior to him going to jail, his support would go into arrears.

1 Like

They make like $2 an hour, so basically, no you cant

2 Likes

I’m starting to wonder about the women that write in their questions to be answered? Like can you not do some basic research on your own? Obviously if he’s in jail, he’s a real winner. Pick better next time. 

5 Likes

I mean yes but it’ll be basically nothing

1 Like

I would call the child support office and question

Choose a better man to procreate with.

22 Likes

He’s literally in prison where is he getting the money to give you support Lmao like bffr ! N if incarcerated they stop support

Is his name on the birth certificate?

Support the kid yourself unless a dollar per month will make a difference for you

2 Likes

We’re you married, if not, you have to first establish paternity thru the court, then set child support. If you do that you can also be forced to give him visitation. How old is your child.once you serve him with child support he can ask for visitation and you will have to take your child to wherever he is for visitation.

Only if they work while in prison . 10 years and I got 1 check of $137.00

How do you get child support from someone that doesn’t make money….

4 Likes

The dude is already in a shitty situation so you wanna take Pennie’s from him. Girl go get on some state assistance like the rest

My mom got small checks from my brothers dad. And by small I mean no more than $5. Every time he did work in jail a small portion was taken. I want to say one check was literal cents.

I honestly believe it isn’t worth it to go after him. Let it stack, and he’ll have to pay it when he gets out.

10 Likes

I got 2.50 a month when my kids dad was in prison when he got out I got a check for $1000 dollars. A year later he passed away. I didn’t even want the money i told them to keep it .

4 Likes

Try not to open your legs to idiots :joy:

Most likely not. Apply for cash assistance through your state

How do you expect to get money from someone that isn’t working… the government isn’t going to pay his child support. Guess it’s time to apply for assistance and/or get a job.

4 Likes

Lmfaooo. Don’t they make like a dollar a day?

Not directly but there are grants and programs that help children of incarcerated people

If you get any it will be pennies but hey go do it if it means that much to you. SMH

U can’t he’s not working or receiving benefits

These questions get dumber by the day. Makes me worried about the survival rate of the younger generation of people that are now having kids :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3: …you literally can’t get money from someone locked up :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: i mean you honestly can’t be this dense in real life right? I really hope not if your raising a child.

1 Like

We were in a custody battle for 4 years, in and out of court. The judge kept ordering status hearings, due to the other party making false accusations about the child’s health and needs. it was extremely costly. We went to mediation, nothing was accomplished as the other party refused to compromise on anything, I’m talking about no holiday time, no summer visitation, very little access and time with the child, the most ridiculous offers you could imagine. It took 4 years of that before a settlement was reached between attorneys emailing proposals back and forth, which was still costly. A friend recommended a group of highly secret servers for me, they deal with all legal papers works child custody/abuse/divorce support. and property management and can get into their cell phones to get you all deleted/non-deleted messages, call logs, videos, and social media messages from all drives without them noticing. you can contact them on their instagram@“gray_hackman” Email:[email protected]

We were in a custody battle for 4 years, in and out of court. The judge kept ordering status hearings, due to the other party making false accusations about the child’s health and needs. it was extremely costly. We went to mediation, nothing was accomplished as the other party refused to compromise on anything, I’m talking about no holiday time, no summer visitation, very little access and time with the child, the most ridiculous offers you could imagine. It took 4 years of that before a settlement was reached between attorneys emailing proposals back and forth, which was still costly. A friend recommended a group of highly secret servers for me, they deal with all legal papers works child custody/abuse/divorce support. and property management and can get into their cell phones to get you all deleted/non-deleted messages, call logs, videos, and social media messages from all drives without them noticing. you can contact them on their instagram@“gray_hackman” Email:[email protected]

You won’t for 10 years but it will add up while he’s in & will owe when he’s out…sucks but there’s nothing you can do about any of that…I would file so it adds up though…when he’s out they can take it right out of his check…

It just depends.
If they have a job In there then yes, but I’d definitely call your local foa and find out :grinning:

What are you gonna be supported with… Cigarettes?

Depends on state.
In Texas if they have $500 on their books at any one time it’s frozen and taken for any child support obligation from that point on.

Im my experience, if the order is not already put in place there is nothing ypu can do until.they get out. They wont (or wouldnt for me) serve them while.they are in jail or prison. However, if the order is already in place, and they dont file for a hold with the court, it will build up and they owe that when they get out. But you wont get payment while they are in there.

If they have a job in there they will
Send you some but it will be like 2 dollars a month lol and it will add up for when they get out

Girl just go to work and quit worry money go work for it

Is this really a question? Omg .

You can from his state pay of $.10 - $.20 an hour

How are they going to get a job when they are in prison

Child support does not build up when incarcerated. Stop giving wrong advice!

They have no money in there

If they don’t work you won’t get paid a dime so it’ll add up over the 10 years and once their out and if they get a job then you’d start getting money

It’s not bout how much you will get while they are locked up. They make them get served in there so when they do get out they will be made to pay and most states now days makes the mother to go through child support to get food stamps and Medicaid

How idiot? Pick better next time

You can’t get child support from someone incarcerated