Can I stop breastfeeding early?

I currently exclusively breastfed my child who is 4 months old. I want to stop breastfeeding because of going back to work and not being able to pump enough for my child. Is it okay to stop so early? If so, how did you transition your child to formula? I’m at a loss.

8 Likes

You don’t ever have to breastfeed, you can stop whenever you want!

5 Likes

You stop whenever is right for you and your baby

I had to quit breast feeding at 3 months. There’s nothing wrong with quitting early or even never breastfeeding at. Do whatever works for yourself and your baby.

I stopped breast feeding my son at 6 weeks. There’s 0 reason you can’t stop breast feeding at any age or not breast feed at all.

I transitioned my son by mixing his breast milk 50/50 with formula for a couple weeks then he got straight formula. That’s what his doctor suggested.

4 Likes

You can do whatever you want to feed your child.

Stop whenever is right for you… As long as baby is fed it doesn’t matter where the milk comes from…

2 Likes

Start giving baby bottle with formula. As soon as baby takes that you can stop.

I dry up quick…I’ve never been able to breast feed for more than 2 months…just switch to formula when your ready to stop…the less stimulation you get from feeding the more your supply will go down…

Do whatever is better for you.

As long as you child is getting fed it does not matter how !

1 Like

Start transitioning now, when I stopped at 2 months, id add like 1/2 oz of formula to 1.5 Oz of breastmilk in a bottle, and slowing work your way up to 2 Oz of formula to get her stomach used to the formula. It worked for us, and she has no stomach issues. But that’s just an example Oz wise of course!

1 Like

I desperately wanted to breast feed my twins my milk supply never came in and them being premie and needing to eat, I had to let them have formula. They are completely happy healthy and fine. You do you if you need to stop breast feeding because it helps with the stress of going back to work do it. I would suggest reaching out to you pediatrician, they can give you feeding minimums that you need to hit

I only breastfeed 6 weeks that gives them a good start. Just ask the baby doctor what formula to use.

My son weaned himself around 4.5 months because he preferred bottles that he got at daycare. I stated him on formula early though like 6 weeks.

You can stop whenever you like. But if it helps I used too give my daughter formula at daycare and breast feed at home. My son I used to pump and sometimes even go into the daycare at lunch time to feed him

Just start giving the child formula. The child will drink it. I never breastfed once with my daughter. She was a straight formula kid and just fine

2 Likes

Do what you want! Fed is best! I would suggest pumping for a few weeks and do every other bottle formula to get your baby accustomed to something new. But you can just stop cold turkey but in my experience I would suggest pumping less and less every day and not just all of a sudden stop cuz if you do that your boobs are gonna hurt mega bad! Gradual is best for little beings but you are the mother and it is definitely your choice. Good luck!

2 Likes

Start mixing with formula and increase the formula gradually as your baby will allow. Pump and freeze some so you can mix a little in for a few more weeks etc.

1 Like

I did with my six month old I just mixed breast milk and formula till there was all formula. That took a few weeks to a month or so.

1 Like

This is a personal preference! I stopped breastfeeding at 3 months when i went back to work. I pumped till 4 months then switched to formula as i wasn’t making as much milk anymore.

Just curious why you think you won’t be able to pump enough?

Theres no deadline for breastfeeding you stop when you feel ready & just swap over like you would change a nappy or dummy long as your baby is fed

1 Like

You do what you want mama

With great respect and honor to a real spell caster for west africa Dr Nathan who restored back my lover after a fight we had, i contact Dr Nathan for a love spell that will help me restore my lover back and my home. and he cast it for me within the range of 24hours, and my lover was back home and we are living tio togetter happily all thanks to him please my advise is for you all who have the same problem to contact him via Email: (Nathanayakasolutionhome@gmail. com) or on WhatsApp address +2347019014544

1 Like

Of course it’s ok fuck anyone who says otherwise. Just put the baby on formula and itll b ok, remember fed is best

Yep, no problem. Get a bottle most like a boob, and change over to formula. Have someone else give the first few bottles, it will help her if you do. Mix form. With breast milk if she won’t take straight form.

Yes you can at anytime. You can pump some and mix with formula to ease the transition to only formula if that’s what you need to do.

I pumped as much as I could for as long as I could, and then added formula to make up the differen e in qhat I pumped to what my babies drank. So if i pumped 5 oz, but they were drinking 6 from the bottle at daycare, I just added 1 oz of formula to the bottle. I figured some of my breastmilk/antibodies were better than none. The longer I pumped/as baby got older, I wasn’t able to keep up, and when it eventually became 2oz my milk and 6 oz formula and she was 10 months old, I stopped pumping during the day, and she just had formula durong the day, and nursed at bedtime. Eventually that stopped too, and we gradually started adding whole milk with the formula around their 1st Birthday. More and more whole milk & less formula until, by age 14-15 months, they were fully on whole milk. And we mixed whole milk with 1% around their 2nd Birthday the same way. Gradual changes = less tummy upset/no issues with them not liking the taste ans refusing to drink it.

The taste of breast is completely different from formula some babies switch right to it without issues but some babies need to adjust gradually by mixing the formula in with the breastmilk a little at a time

you don’t have to stop breastfeeding–nurse before and after work, and in the evening and night time feeding. She will gets used to taking formula from whomever is caring for her. Often babies don’t want to take a bottle from mom because they know she has the good stuff but will take it from someone else. your milk supply will adjust to the new schedule.

2 Likes

Replace with one bottle a day. So if you’re breast feeding say 8x a day. Go down to 7 and replace 1 feeding with formula for a bit then go down to 6 and replace another. Do that until you’re only using formula. It’ll help you not engorge or get mastitis in your breast. If you just stop you have a huge chance of getting a clog and your boob is going to feel like it’s being ripped off.

Of course
You have given them the best start

Stop when YOU want to. It’s your baby, your body. Fed is best.

Do what’s best for baby and you! You don’t need anyone’s permission! When my oldest daughter transitioned, at 6mo, I pumped and used my breast milk in the formula instead of water and then nighttime breast fed when she’d accept me. Either way she got pure breast milk at bedtime. Good luck to you and baby!

No one can make that decision for you. You do what you want. :slight_smile: I breast fed my 1st for 4 months. My 2nd less than 1 week due to no supply.

Absolutely okay!! You have to find what works best for your little family , try half formula and half breast milk and slowly just go from there ! Find a bottle that you think might work, try a different brand if it doesn’t :slightly_smiling_face: formula has great nutrients ! Call your Pediatrician and they can
Most certainly he’ll the transition

I started just giving both either a formula bottle or breast milk… they will take the formula cuz of the sweetness

You are free to do whatever your heart desires without feeling guilty or being judged. Your baby is still going to be happy and healthy and well taken care of whether its breast milk or formula.

Of course it’s ok!
If your Bub already takes a bottle with breast milk, try giving one bottle a day of formula and work your up from there. If Bub isn’t super keen just mix a bit with breast milk at first.
Nan comfort is a good formula for babies coming off the breast, it’s gentle on the tummy.

Do what feels right for you. If you want to switch your baby to formula it is always okay. I started by giving pumped breastmilk in a bottle and then slowly started switching breastmilk for formula one bottle a week. Also pump on the times your baby will usually drink. And then dont pump when they get the bottle of formula. That way your child can first get used to a bottle and you builed down your production slowly. If you do it to fast you risk getting mastitis.

It’s always okay. When I started to supplement I would have to have someone else feed her she refused the bottle from me, even if it had breast milk in it. It didn’t take to long for her to give in and take it from me tho. I just supplemented instead of just stopping so I usually just let her breastfeed if I was around.

Yes you can. The formula provides the nutrition they need, so you are fine. Sometimes it takes trying a few different ones to figure out what works best for your baby. Sometimes they can be stubborn about it, but not always. Just be consistent and keep offering it until the get used to it.

I stopped breast feeding all four of mine by 3-4 months…I couldn’t do all the pumping plus working plus taking care of all the kids and the house. Don’t feel guilty. Just make sure the baby gets fed. Breast milk or formula, it doesn’t matter! I just gave them a few days of bottles with breast milk and formula and then each bottle increased formula slightly and decreased breast milk slightly until they were drinking all formula. All four didnt really seem to care either way.

Of course you are. Pumping and storing at work can be a hassle. However if you want to attempt to produce more milk there is a tea called mothers milk to help your production. Several of my friends used it.

Formula is so much better than it use to be! Don’t feel guilty, talk to your pediatrician and the two of you will figure out what’s best for your baby.

Sorry to hear that you are unable to continue with breastfeeding .formula can be very binding to an infant . i would try using a most like mother bottle and alternate breast with formula. Try and pump breast milk and use it in the bottle. See how wee one tolerates it

I stopped when mine was 2 months old. Start to giving formula now and see how the baby adjusted. each child is different.

It’s your kid, YOU CAN LITERALLY DO WHATEVER YOU WANT!

Bottles during the day and only breastfeed at night feeding.

Fed is best. If you have concerns about your ability to feed using just breast milk, or even just energy issues from having to pump and work, then absolutely start the transition.

I have chronic medical issues. I breast fed for 6 weeks before I and my doctors decided my body couldn’t handle me being off my meds anymore. My kid has some hereditary medical stuff, but is otherwise completely healthy. I’m currently expecting in just over a month and will likely end up doing roughly the same.

Everybody is different. Every situation is different. As long as that baby eats, they’ll be fine regardless of breast milk or formula.

I had one of my five kids who didn’t do so well with breastfeeding to begin with and I also needed to go back to work (was 27 years ago, the pumping technology wasn’t the greatest).

I quit nursing him at 2.5 months, put him on carnation good start formula (which at the time was known for being better for their digestive system). I think i nursed him at night only for 2-3 weeks and then he was on formula 100%. He did fine, better on formula actually!

My mother didn’t nurse me or my brother at all, I think there was a time there in the 60s-70s where a lot of women didn’t?! Formula is fine. I’m sure it will be fine! :slightly_smiling_face:

I exclusively breastfed until LO was 4 months and started creche. I also had a very demanding job so I switched her to formula but continued to pump twice a day still. I was able to produce 2 breastmilk bottles a day up to 8 months and then only 1 up to 9months when I officially stopped.

I mixed what I had pumped with formula. Slowly putting less BM in. My son did great and is a chunky happy healthy baby! (he’s 9mths old)

Yes! Your choice for sure, I would intro formula slowly if you can!

I was an exclusive pumper too for 9 months until I dried out! When I had to start adding formula I chose a gentle sensitive tummy one and mixed it with a small portion of breastmilk bc he didn’t like the taste alone. Lessen the breastmilk amount to nothing but formula gradually. They have to give you time and space to pump at work btw. I have pumped in the dining room of a restaurant before lmao :sweat_smile: all the mom’s would sit near by which was the sweetest thing :sparkling_heart:

How do we get you to post a fan question? I’ve messaged multiple times and posted to the wall and I still haven’t had my questioned asked. Help!

I was always told that any length of time breastfeeding can be done is really good for baby…transitioning to bottle will be a challenge especially if the baby has never had a bottle and there may be some pushback on the baby’s part for a short while- but, your pediatrician can suggest a formula that will appeal to the baby-you just have to persist with the change and in a few days , depending how stubborn your little one is, the whole process will move forward! No need to fell guilty-be thankful you were able to give your little one all those benefits for as long as you did!