Can I wear a silk cap to bed?

I have a question- My hair is so dry and brittle no matter what I use on my hair. More expensive shampoos, cheaper shampoos, different brands of conditioners. I am at a loss on how to fix it. One of my questions is- I am a white female and I’ve seen videos about silk caps to wear at night and how they can help your hair, is it ok if I would wear one? Or would that be disrespectful to the African American community?

17 Likes

silk cap or a silk pillow! also, are you hydrated enough? taking any new meds that could be affecting your hair texture?
It’s not disrespectful to us. especially when you need it and aren’t using it as some performative gesture. Get your hair right, mkay!? good luck.

5 Likes

How on earth would that be disrespectful. I’m sure plenty of ethnicities use them. Wear it if it helps your hair.

11 Likes

Why would that be disrespectful? Also who would know what you wear to bed in your own home?…. I feel like that’s got to be a joke… and if it’s not honestly who cares. Wear a cap try it, it may help, but also look into your hair care after the shower as well, do you use leave in conditioner, do you use a lot of heat products, do you dye your hair a lot? Maybe you also need a good hair cut the get rid of the dead ends!

9 Likes

Lots vitamins, lots of biotin and yes definitely a silk cap for bed time.

2 Likes

I’m a white woman and was told by an African American woman to wear one at night. It definitely has helped my hair

3 Likes

My hair use to break in front when I slept. I tried silk pillow and coconut oil (didn’t work) Now I use a silk cap and viatimins for hair and my hair doesn’t break anymore.

1 Like

I have a friend who gets keratin treatments at a salon. I think they are pricey but maybe you can try a little & doing it yourself.

Wash less often and coconut oil in your hair between washes to help it from drying out

Spray your hair daily with a mix of rose water with a few drops of tea tree, rosemary, peppermint and jojoba oil. Do not rub your hair dry. Wear a satin or silk cap at night. Give your hair a hot oil treatment at least once a month

1 Like

Silk caps, cotton or silk to towel dry/wrap your hair without ribbing it together, good pillowcases, not rubbing your hair together when you wash/condition… Lots of eady things you can do.

Soaked your hair coconut oil/ olive oil
(Best at night time)

Could be your thyroid go get blood work done

3 Likes

Try V05 hot oil treatment

Anyone can, it is to protect hair.

1 Like

Is this a real question? Because I feel this is totally made up.

Who cares your sleeping good lord

We definitely apple you considering us hugs. I say go see a hairdresser I was one for 20yrs if nothing else to get a consultation and your hair shampooed.

Christ on a bike :person_facepalming:t2:
Wtf is wrong with some people.

I have Lupus and it kills my hair and scalp. In 2021, hair stylist suggested I use olaplex to help a botched bleaching that really destroyed my hair. I will say it has definitely helped with everything…accept it falling out in clumps.

you said you are wearing it to bed? who’s going to see you in bed? Its not like you’re wearing it all day when you go shopping? even then Since when is wearing a head scarf or wrap against the Fashion rules? or a ethnic isssue? Good Lord what has this world become.?

3 Likes

Although I’ve had this same thought about being racist or disrespectful it’s not. You do what you need to keep your hair type healthy. Race only plays a factor in genetics not products

It’s to cover your hair to keep it protected and promote healthy hair. I don’t think any black woman would be offended by that. Also black women are not the ones who wear caps at night to protect their hair, women do this all over the world.

This is so stupid it has got to be a joke.

How is your health? Might be time for a check up.