Can my 1 year old have 2 percent milk?

My daughter was on whole milk from 1-1 & 1/2 they made me switch her to 1% after that and she still drinks that now and she’s 2 & 1/2

We’ve only done 1%, it’s what I grew up on we get calcium other ways cheese, yogurt,

You guys are sooo brain washed to think milk from an animal is even good to consume into the human body of a child. Yuck. That scares me

8 Likes

Whole milk has more fat to it. That is why she suggested it. To help her gain more weight. But that was the (olden days) with cows milk not pasteurized. If your family drinks 2% or 1% then keep it that way. On a scientific way whole milk isnt that healthy. I mean milk is healthy regardless but not vitamin d or whole milk. If you really want your child healthy you could ask your local WIC office for advice. That is what they are here for.

My son only liked 2% milk.

I don’t think it should make much of a difference. Pediatrics told me to start on whole milk then switch to 2% and gradually keep going down to 1% or skim.

3 Likes

I’d be more worried at her being only 18lb my boy is 15lb and is 4 months old!

3 Likes

I can’t see why it would make a difference if she is healthy

1 Like

Yes she absolutely need whole milk because of the fat that is in it, probably why shes not gaining weight UNLESS she has a medical reason not to drink it. That advice is per a pediatrician and WIC

2 Likes

Let her drink what she likes. I don’t like whole milk .

2 Likes

It’s cool… if you are concerned about weight add some pediasure to her diet… my son has a prescription for it he’s only 21lbs and almost 2

Mine I started with whole milk at 13 months after I stopped breast feeding. That was what I was told by other mother’s. She couldn’t handle whole milk because of the fat and I had to put her on 2% per pediatrician. She’s now three and still can’t handle whole milk unless it’s a very small amount. I’d definitely ask your pediatrician and go with what he/she says.

We do whole & a variety of milk substitutes at 4 years old because it has been easier for digestion and skin issues.

My daughter is 6 and only ever drank 2%. The main difference is the fat content. Her pediatrician told me it was fine. She is only 33 lbs and is the smallest in her class. She is extremely healthy and growing just fine. If you start to notice weight loss then consider switching. But your her mom and you know her better then anyone.

It’s no big deal. I have worked in dr offices, was a CNA and a medical assistant and I can tell you that if your dr is concerned with the weight of your child they will let you know. Every human carries weight differently and it’s not a great idea to listen to any of these comments more than a physician. Opinions are like assholes & they all stink! Milk is just a fatty protein the more the baby gets generally the bigger it gets but fat babies are unhealthy too soooo :woman_shrugging:t2:
There are other milks out there now that aren’t loaded with hormones that they feed to cows that are a much better substitute. 1% vs 2% vs whole is really petty overall. If your kid prefers one more than other than give it to them. But it’s important to incorporate a well balance age appropriate diet as well.

Whole milk is what pediatric docs recommend

1 Like

Almond milk, anything plant based. much better than diary…
Cows milk is for cows

2 Likes

Give her what she likes

Let her drink it just give her plenty of carbs meats and veggies

According to my doc they only need whole milk from a year to 2 because thats when they need the fat the most. Then they say switch your kids to 1%, 3 of mine are on regular where my oldest daughter has a protein allergy to regular milk. Btw processed milk is not freaking poison! That post was ignorant.

My son is a year old n 25lbs and whole milk has the fat needed at young ages

Just do 50/50 half 2% other half hole milk

You’re her mother. Your kid. Your choice .

4 Likes

My kids use to drink 2% milk. They now drink almond milk and they are perfectly healthy

My daughter didnt do well on homo she wouldnt poop well at all. We switched to 2 percent and she had normal poops again! Our doctor was also fine with this.

1 Like

She could probably benefit from the extra fat but it’s not that big of a deal

We do 2% I dont personally like all the cholesterol in whole milk.
We also use almond milk sometimes since the little cartons are shelf stable and the chocolate ones taste like yohoos

I do whole milk with my 3 year old that’s what my doctor told me she a tiny girl that only weight 27ibs and told me to make sure she gets enough protein

My daughter drinks 1% 2% and whole, whatever we happen to have she has since she was like 8 or 9 months

Whole milk is much better because the fat is better for brain development.

There is no deal.
She has a pediatrician, they test her.
Milk , come to find out, is not a big nutiential factor after all.

1 Like

18 lbs 1 year old.
That’s about right

Yes she needs Whole milk!!!

I never touched milk as a kid. Hated the stuff. Not a big deal if she is eating other foods. At one the milk can be more of a drink and not a meal.

Okay so, everyone says “fat content” in whole milk blah blah blah. As long as she is a good eater, it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Whole milk is better because to fat in it helps with brain development.

1 Like

That is between you and your doctor. Usually with kids that small they reccomend whole milk but maybe the doctor can reccomend another option.
My daughters didnt like milk and wouldn’t drink pediasure so the doctor told me carnation instant breakfast works as well and I would use one packet per day

I started my year olds on half powder milk n half powder formula switched over n for six months

Fats at a young age can benefit brain development. It seriously depends on her diet.

1 Like

Our pediatrician told us whole milk until age two for brain development, that was years ago though

3 Likes

My Peds said to use nothing less than 2% but it is ok to use 2%

Yes she needs the fat from whole milk for brain development. I’m sure you could find alternatives, but that’s the basic reason why they say whole milk until age 2

1 Like

My son will only take 2%. I think the whole milk was too thick for him. If you are worried about brain development and fat try toddler formula. I used it for my son for a year because I thought he had to have whole milk.

My 2.5 year won’t.drink milk at all only.just recently got.her.on to up and go and she.has a glass every morning with toast but she will only.eat.chicken nuggets chips both hot and potato chips and she refuses to drink water so I give her weak cordial she is healthy and happy

They don’t need whole milk.

2 Likes

Maybe try those Carnation drinks. When it comes down to it she’s your child and if she likes 2% milk it’s better than 1% or no milk.

1 Like

Nope Doesn’t really matter as long as LO eats well. My last son we didnt even do whole or 2% we used almond milk.

2 Likes

Whole milk is 3% not a big deal difference

Children DO NOT NEED cow’s milk PERIOD. People use it as compliment for calories intake but if the child eats well it’s not necessary. My son started taking organic unsweetened almond milk at age 12 months and he is almost 2 years old, growing and developing well. He eats cheese and yogurt but no milk.

1 Like

Always used 2% never a problem.

Its recommended to use whole milk. However, when our pediatrician realized our daughter couldn’t digest the fat he switched us on to 2%.

So babies don’t tolerate whole milk. My grandson still has reflux if he drinks whole milk and he is four likes 2percent

Whole milk has the fats and vitamins that baby needs.
You’re suppose to start with whole and work your way down. So, yeah. You are suppose to be giving her whole.