Can my 1 year old have 2 percent milk?

Moms, does it matter if my one year old prefers 2% milk over whole milk? Her grandmother keeps trying to tell me she needs whole milk only. Is it that big of a deal? She’s a tiny little thing only about 18lbs. But i don’t see the big deal? Thanks!

19 Likes

Whole milk has more fat. Whole milk will help her gain weight if she needs to gain weight…

1 Like

Whole milk has the fats that you want her to have to gain some weight, especially if shes really small

1 Like

I don’t think it would be that big of a deal as long as she’s eating other foods as well. But whole milk whould help her gain weight if she needs it.

She needs the fat to help develop her brain. Whole milk until 2 years. Ask your pediatrician

12 Likes

I’ve been told by many doctors whole milk at 1 don’t know about 2 and up

Whole milk has the vitamins that your daughter needs to grow properly. Grandma is right and you need to give her whole milk especially if she is so small.

7 Likes

What does the pediatrician say?

Whole milk is suggested at that age.

1 Like

If she’s tiny then yeah she should be drinking whole.

I put my guy on whole milk…it constipated him…asked my pediatrician about it and she said babies dont need the fat from whole milk…switched him to 1% and that’s what hes been on…hes 2.5 years old now…no issues

1 Like

This is my post guys :slightly_smiling_face: yeah she REFUSES whole milk

1 Like

You need the whole milk for awhile for nutrition even if you mix her bottles half whole milk half 2%

The only difference is whole milk will put on more weight so if ur baby is considered underweight i would stick to whole milk if baby is healthy 2% should b fine unless LO starts losing weight … my dr took my son off whole milk cuz it was makkng him too heavy

She needs whole milk.

my son is four and on whole milk

What does her pediatrician recommend?

1 Like

What if she REFUSES whole milk

After one don’t even need milk

5 Likes

She needs whole milk. She needs the fat

1 Like

She’s young.its o.k.she balances out in other foods.

whole milk is used from about 1 year until 2 years it helps their brain developement…Thats why at 1 year wic gives you it then at 2 years on they switch it. Im sure it would be fine for the baby not to have it but i would talk to your pediatrician so you can get a suplement as well

1 Like

My pediatrician told me it doesn’t matter as long as they take a daily vitamin to help make up what they are not getting.

1 Like

How old is she to be 18 pounds my sons 10 months and 22 pounds

Our pediatrician said 2% was fine because that’s what we drink, as long as they’re staying on their curve and hitting milestones.

My son just turned 1 last month and he was also refusing whole milk. I couldnt get him to drink it. Not from a cup, not from a bottle, nothing. They told me to switch to lactose free whole milk and he never once has turned it down!

2 Likes

My 1yr old is 25lbs she drinks almond milk

My daughter doctor recommended 2&

My daughter was tiny and couldn’t tolerate whole milk for years. Doctor actually had us keep her on (soy) formula until 18 months and then give her skim milk. It’s a really individual thing and your doctor and you can determine what’s best. Whole dairy has a ton of fructose too and my body STILL doesn’t tolerate it well and I am 40.

1 Like

Try Pediasure. It will help with weight gain.

1 Like

They dont even need milk if they have a balanced diet so she will be ok. Just offer whole milk yogurts, cheeses, etc.

2 Likes

Thank you mommas !!! I think she’s still lactose intolerant. My whole family is. She was on almimentum formula

It is recommended to give them whole milk because they need the fat from it.

1 Like

Think about it this way… there are MULTITUDES of children that are allergic to cows milk … and they are just fine.

2 Likes

My 9 month old is 14 lbs and is severely allergic to milk. Some babys are just small.

1 Like

Girl you’ll lose your damn mind trying to listen to grandmas :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Whole milk has a benefit to brain development until age 3.

3 Likes

My son never even drank milk until recently hes almost 3 and he’s only ever had 1% before then it was breast milk, no child NEEDS cows milk

2 Likes

If she refuses it then there’s not much you can do :woman_shrugging: high (healthy) fat foods like avocado and salmon are good additions and you can put whole fat milk in scrambled eggs etc.

1 Like

Idk, but WIC only gives 1-2 year olds 1% or nonfat milk.

My son drinks 2% because he can’t stomach whole milk, and he’s doing great. He’s not even 2 yet and he’s 33” y’all and 30 pounds. He’s huge :joy:

1 Like

Our pediatrician said they need whole milk from 1yr to 2 yrs to help with brain development. Then after 2 yrs you can switch to 2%. We have 3 different types of milk in our fridge but that’s what best for for babies.

3 Likes

Humans don’t need cows milk at all. So I would say either one is just fine.

2 Likes

Just for reference whole milk is 3% it’s not that big of a difference.

2 Likes

SHES A VERY PICKY EATER! So I’m just glad she’s drinking 2% :joy::joy::joy:

She needs whole milk. My Dr told me the fat in whole milk helps brain development. So I guess it’s not completely nessecary but your child may progress slower than other at some point in there life.

1 Like

I took my 1 1/2 y.o. off whole milk about a month ago. She doesnt need the extra fat. She eats so damn good lol

Talk to her doctor about giving her chocolate syrup in the whole milk. And if she still wont drink it hersheys has syrup with added vitamins

2 Likes

I like giving mine 2% because it seems like whole milk kept them constipated and 2% dont

1 Like

My Children couldn’t drink whole milk they drink 1%

3.5% and 2% was making them sick contipated my girl twin and made all
3 of my children throw up

I have a 5 year old and twin 1 year olds

They also loveee their Almond Milk

Try Almond Milk !

Its delicious and a healthier alternative

2 Likes

My one year old prefers almond milk over cows milk(and breast milk over both) but I’ve been told since she’s breastfed she’d prefer almond milk because it has more of a sweeter taste(like breast milk) but honestly don’t know because I’m not a fan of almond milk😂

Whole milk provides good fats for brain development. But if shes refusing it theres not much you can do. Try incorporating it into meals instead?

1 Like

We just did 2% when we switched over but most of her milk was coming from me still at that point so…:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

whole milk is better for you. almond milk would be the better way to go.

1 Like

I’d say it doesn’t matter at all! We are vegan and my kids didn’t have milk at all and our pediatrician always say my kids are her most healthy patients! Almond milk has more calcium even…

2 Likes

I was told 2% is fine if you’re feeding them solid foods the majority of the time. Whole milk fills them up more making it harder to fill them up with food.

2 Likes

If shes tiny i would push whole milk. It has extra fat.

3 Likes

Whole milk is really like 3%. So I don’t think the 2% is really that bad.
As long as she is gaining. If you are worried, ask her pediatrician,

It’s fine just find other ways to add the fat. Cottage cheese, yogurt, ricotta etc…

2 Likes

Whole milk will help her gain weight

Our daughter was the same size & height at 1 year also! Some babies are just more petite than others lol I think it was around 11 months ish, she just wasn’t a fan of whole milk anymore, so we started giving her a pediasure in the morning instead. And now at 15 months, she’s right under 20 lbs and still growing on track with her size. & LOVES the flavors lol

Maybe just do half 2% and half whole and everyone’s happy

1 Like

Whole milk is like drinking yogurt lol I don’t blame her :grin: She will probably survive.

1 Like

One is literally just more fattening then the other. If your baby is healthy I wouldnt even worry about it

1 Like

Nutritionally, whole milk is recommended because of the fat content. The fat content is needed for brain development. My son was the same way so I spoke to a nutritionist and his pediatrician about it.

3 Likes

My son has been drinking mainly 2% since he’s been off bottles and he will be 2 in July. My husband can’t handle whole milk so I didn’t see the point in buying two different kinds of milk and my son has been just fine with the 2%.

Does she have a good diet ? My middle and youngest daughter started off on almond milk because whole milk bothered their stomach at first so I gradually got them on whole milk but while on almond milk their ped recommended that we feed them avocados or other high fat foods and they were good :woman_shrugging:t2: I forget what else we used for foods but just do a quick search . It’ll help her gain weight .

And if the drs aren’t concerned about her weight and it goes with her growth curve I wouldn’t stress it . I have two tiny kids and one bigger kid everyone’s different. They always told me not to worry about their weight as long as they’re following their own curve .

It shouldnt matter too much… Try to be meal conscious of whole milk foods so she gets the good fats in her diet. She may grow to hate milk, so learning how to replace it would be helpful anyway. It’s a common sign of people who grow to not like milk have a picky preference early on.

It doesn’t matter… All my kids were tiny, you can implement other things to help gain if its necessary

Whole milk has vitamin d and xtra fat I would deff give whole milk

2 Likes

The fat in whole milk is important for brain development.

7 Likes

if your doctor thinks needs something more she say what kind of milk or put onpeda sure mine put mine on pedasure because of weight because wasnt gining with whole or 2% and right now still even when younger my 6 yr old weighs 40 lbs been for i dont know how long for past 3 yrs

They recommend whole milk because of the fat content and it helps in brain development that they need

5 Likes

Mine will be 2 next month and is still small 22 lbs. She wouldn’t hardly drink milk much lately. One of our doctors advised recently to put that carnation instant breakfast powder in with her milk for extra calories. She loves it and I think it’s starting to help her now. I give mine whole milk because I think she needs the extra calories. Maybe she wouldn’t mind whole milk with the extra flavoring. It comes in chocolate strawberry and vanilla. :blush:
You could but you could ask your pediatrician and see what they think.

1 Like

Kid will be fine. Mine didnt like whole milk either and he is now 8 and perfectly healthy.

It doesn’t matter. WIC here where I live gives 2% from 1 yr to 2 yrs and don’t even do whole milk unless they have a script from the doc saying it’s medically necessary.

1 Like

It’s fine to ask for opinions on here but as you can see you are gonna get all types. You might want to ask ur doctor

1 Like

AAP recommends whole milk until two years for optimal brain development

2 Likes

Cole did whole milk for about a year or so then he started drinking 2% like us

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes: if your kid would rayenr have 2% and not whole give ya baby what they want. It’s not anyone elses decision but yours.

1 Like

My daughter has been on 2% since a couple weeks after her first birthday. Whole milk made her extremely constipated that the doctor recommended I switch. I think it doesn’t make much of a difference as long as they are also eating good foods as well.

2 Likes

Talk to your doctor about the benefits of whole milk and why it is recommended. You wont listen to your mother, so you aren’t gonna listen to facebook either…

4 Likes

When my daughter was one she had some extra weight on her but the doctor still wanted her on whole milk because the fat is good for her brain development. We switched her to skim milk when she was 2.

You shouldn’t even drink cows milk it’s meant for baby cows and inflames your body

2 Likes

Nope!! Kids brains developed until the age of 5 whole milk is needed for the fat… ask the pediatrician and they will tell you whole milk…

If she is getting calcium from other sources then 2% milk is just fine. My kids prefer 1% to whole milk and they’re healthy. They get plenty if calcium from cheese, yogurt and so on.

1 Like

Whole milk is critical for brain development from 1-2 years old and if she is tiny the whole milk would be good for her. My daughter couldn’t tolerate whole milk though too much fat in it so she went right to 2% and did much better

2 Likes

I never gave my kids whole milk, I went straight to 2%. Whole milk is gross … and they are all very healthy & intelligent. Just do what is right for your baby, you get people on both sides. There’s never any real validation when it comes to parenting, people always criticize one way or another, unfortunately.

1 Like

Do what your Doctor says! Mine is on whole milk and she’s 2 1/2. My husband still drinks whole milk, so I’m okay with getting that.

My son only ever drank 2% milk after he got off formula because he was a great eater. He’s very smart and healthy. Humans DO NOT NEED cows milk - there are MANY other ways to get the vitamins and fats that are in whole milk into your child’s diet, like yogurt, cheese, avocado, nuts, eggs, and you can find vitamin D in things like beans and green veggies :slightly_smiling_face: whole milk is 3.25% so honestly there’s not a whole lot of difference between that and 2%, especially if your child is eating other things high in healthy fats and vitamins like the ones I listed above :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

There are kids who can’t even tolerate milk and they turn out fine intellectually. If it was so vital, WIC would give whole milk. You can increase her “good” fat content by feeding her avocados or adding a teaspoon of olive oil or coconut oil to her food a couple times a day. This is what my son’s GI doctor and nutritionist recommended.

2 Likes

My family drinks 2% but I give my son whole milk and sometimes he gets 2% I’m sure its fine either way

The fat in whole milk helps with brain development. Our girls pediatrician suggested them being on whole milk from the ages of 1 to 3. Speak to your childs dr and ask them to explain this and they can give you all the information you need to know what is best for your baby. Some dr opinion can vary but I have yet to hear one that said whole milk isnt important at least from the ages of 1 to 2

So according to our pediatrician if you are giving cows milk it must be whole milk until at least 5 years old because they need the full fat and things for brain development. Now if you do not give Cows Milk you must give something like Pea Milk that has all the nutrients and full fats we need or make sure that they are getting it in other foods. We do not do milk because my son has a protein sensitivity so he gets it in other foods and he will start a multi-Vitamin when he is 2.

We are the only country that drinks milk after being weaned.

3 Likes

Nbd. Be happy she will drink milk at all!

1 Like

My kid’s peaditrician always told me they need whole milk at that age.

Whole milk first but gradually to 2%. She can benefit from the whole milk just not to much. Plus healthy foods.
Things change from moms times I know so just talk to dr. First. The love and concern that ur and mom share is amazing. Thank her for her co CERN she is showing love.
What a wonderful baby

I would assume not but I mean I would listen to your dr.
I menace look at it this way is she doesnt like whole milk shes not drinking it, she likes 2% and drinking it so is her having milk (even if it is 2%) better then her not drinking it at all (because she doesn’t like whole)
Again I would just call your dr and ask you dont even have to go in…

2 Likes

If she is eating yogurts, cheese etc… then no that’s fine ! As long as she is getting other sources of calcium as well :slight_smile:

1 Like