Can sleep regression happen at 21 months?

Is there a sleep regression at 21 months? My little girl has never slept with us. In the past week she’s woke up around midnight inconsolable and ends up in bed with us. Is there anything I can do to help insure she’s getting a good nights rest? We have been sleeping horribly, I took a heel to the bridge of my nose lastnight. Thank you in advanceView insights

5 Likes

I wouldn’t call it sleep regression. But at that age it’s typically nightmares. They are understanding more things which can lead to fear.

Could be night terrors. My first had those around that age and unfornately I don’t know of anything that worked.

She is beginning to have vivid dreams

No matter how much she cries, do not let her sleep in bed with you if you don’t plan to continue co-sleeping.
If you want to co-sleep, go ahead. But once you start it’s incredibly hard to break.
Maybe get a good rocking chair and put it in her room. When she wakes up, rock her back to sleep. You may need to repeat it over and over. There will be a lot of sleepless nights until she starts sleeping longer again but it’s worth it. My daughter also has a toy aquarium that is set on a timer. It has a gentle light and plays soft music. She can turn it on herself but it also has a remote that you can use from outside her room. Teaching her to soothe herself is important.

2 Likes

Stop bring her in bed with u ur creating a habit u will have to break her from. Sit next to her bed rock her in her room rub her back play with her hair sing a soft song but do it all in her room in her bed yes uncomfortable for u but ur teaching her to sooth herself in her space ur teaching her her bed is a safe space. Eventually everyone gets to go back to sleep comfortably in there own space to get a good nights rest.

3 Likes

Get a camera set up in her room. See what’s happening.