Can You dye your hair while pregnant?

Is it safe to dye your hair at 7 months pregnant?!

4 Likes

I always heard after the first trimester

Anything past 12 weeks is okay

u can but May not come out the colour u wanted Due to ur hormones.

3 Likes

yes just have a window open

Yeah you can. Just got mine done a month ago. Didnt stay well though cuz of the hormones

Yes. I bleached my hair
Blonde at 10 weeks with my son and I boxed dyed my hair when I was 4 months with my daughter

I’ve always dyed my hair. With my third I still had purple on my scalp when I went into labor so I dripped purple sweat everywhere.

Yes I did and yes it is safe to color or bleach your hair while pregnant. As long as it’s a well ventilated space, then it’s fine.

I worked as a hairdresser for three pregnancies and got my hair done. It’s safe.

Yes in a well ventilated area

They say you can but I never did with all 3 pregnancies. I also didn’t use nail polish for the first 2. Then in my last pregnancy I used a a special polish for women who r pregnant.

1 Like

I did but a warning your hair may reject the dye mine rejected a type of dye I used before I was pregnant and my blue turned lime green

1 Like

I did it with both my pregnancies!!

I did about 34 weeks. I asked my doctor prior though.

I did every 2 months when I was pregnant.

Yeah you’re absolutely fine. I bleached my hair and then colored it purple. I just didn’t use it directly on my roots so it didn’t touch my skin and I did it in a screened in sun room so it was well ventilated. I’m 9 months pregnant. They say avoid it the first trimester because that’s when you’re most sensitive but it’s been proven that hair dye doesn’t seep into your skin and get to your baby. There’s a bunch of articles on it online. My doctor didn’t say it was a problem either. She complimented the new look haha

No, you should NOT suck on toxic fumes while pregnant

2 Likes

Yes, it’s safe! My doctor said there are no studies that show it’s harmful to you or babe. Each pregnancy I’ve gotten it bleached and highlighted multiple times and no harm :blush:

1 Like

Yes just have good ventilation

Yes. I got my hair done through all 4 of my pregnancies :slightly_smiling_face:

My OB said that it was perfectly safe.

I’m 38 weeks and I’ve gotten my hair done several times since finding out. The dye isn’t on long enough to do any harm.

Use overtone. It’s absolutely safe and smells amazing :+1:

I did like four different colors with my first pregnancy, they were obviously different colors and my OB never told me stop or that it was bad

Some of y’all are so weird! Lol. I dyed my hair almost aggressively throughout my first pregnancy. And I even got a tattoo! -gasp-! (But, to be honest, I was unaware I was pregnant when I got the tattoo. Lmao) but yeah, my boy is 9 years old and perfectly fine. To the original post: I would go with what most folk here are saying, it’s perfectly fine. Just make sure wherever you’re doing it is well-ventilated.

2 Likes

Yes just make sure you’re in a really ventilated area! I’ve never used Overtone but it’s a color conditioner and I hear amazing things about it as well :relaxed:

This was the advice I got from my gp.
You can, it’s just hormonal shifts can change reactions that you have to the chemicals, so you may be more sensitive. If you are intent on colouring it, definitely do a patch test behind your ear. It won’t harm the baby in anyway. Hope this helps xx

2 Likes

For the most part it’s safe is say. I was actually told the only thing you might run into is finding your allergic to something you once were not and or the color not turning out the same shade it normally does because of the change in hormones

Yes but hormones in the hair can cause unexpected outcomes

1 Like

Yes just make sure youre in a well ventilated area.
My doctor said no bleaching so i would take to your doctor about that… but coloring your hair isnt an issue

Yes just ventilate the space of course

It’s physically safe for you and baby to dye your hair during pregnancy. I do NOT recommend it emotionally lol. Your hormones can mess with how the color turns out and it be super upsetting when you’re already emotional lol. Trust me. I accidentally dyed my hair black while pregnant with my second child and while she’s totally healthy I cried every single day over my hair lol.

It’s absolutely fine to color and even bleach your hair while you are pregnant. But sometimes it doesn’t hold the color as well or may even grab it better than usual. Because your hormones are so different.

Just don’t do it in a small in closed area.

Lol I bleached, lightened and dyed multiple times with both my daughter n this pregnancy. Had no issues.

1 Like

Completely safe, even at the root and on the scalp. During the first trimester, your skin, and thus your scalp, may be more sensitive to irritation. Could get itchy. I have never heard of a pregnant woman’s increased sensitivity causing chemical burns while using the product as directed. As others have mentioned, the hormones may affect the way your hair reacts to the colour. Don’t let this deter you, though, it usually isn’t significant. As with dyeing while not pregnant, the fumes may cause you to become dizzy if you choose to be in a small, un-ventilated room with the window closed. Because you’re pregnant, this dizziness may be amplified. However, rest assured, the fumes and chemicals will not get to your baby.

I bleached my hair like 4 times when I was pregnant with my first and then with my second I dyed it multiple times

Yes as long as your not cramped in a room with no air flow . crack a window or two or possibly even go outside

2 Likes

There are organic dyes now if I’m not mistaken, I’d just use one of those.

1 Like

Yes it is make sure you are in a ventilated room. I colored my hair with all my pregnancies

2 Likes

My doctor told me no.

1 Like

Im wondering the same and I’m 7 months pregnant also. Im gonna ask my doctor at my next appointment and see what she suggests. For years I swore they said hair dye magically gets into the babys blood. I guess through like the scent of it or through your scalp before you shampoo it all out. I’ve been wanting to dye my hair for mooonths. Im tempted now. Lol. Half of me wants to just wait the 2 months out but the other half wants burgundy hair in my hospital pics. :woman_facepalming:t5: Im still undecided.

I did each of my pregnancies and my doctor told me it was fine.

Dr made me wait till the second trimester.

I have died my hair both pregnancies I just always assumed it’s better not to get it on your scalp or skin but not sure if it actually matters?

Yes. I just dyed mine and sat out on my porch while I did it.

My OBGYN said no bleaching but I can dye my hair in a well ventilated room.

My obgyn said no bleach but dyeing is fine

It’s not recommended during the first trimester. You can after that but make sure you’re in a well ventilated area, and be careful of what products you use bc your hair can change during pregnancy so it’s best to be cautious especially when using bleach, and if you want crazy colors you can use vegan, non toxic or even vegetable based dyes

Yes absolutely I died mine with all four of mine. My doctor said there was not enough chemicals absorbed to reach fetus

Check with your ob/gyn.

Yes… I was worried as well, but it’s actually fine after the first trimester.

My doctor says yes you can dye your hair while pregnant. As long as its in a well ventilated area. They have done tons of studies and found it safe.

U can. But ur hair may not react to the chemicals the way it normally does

I did but don’t bleach. I use vegan and ammonia free stuff though

Be aware that pregnancy causes some crazy stuff to happen and your hair may disagree with the process :grimacing: lol

I had mine dyed in first trimester without realising I was pregnant and my head went red which was so unusual as I’d always got my hair done in same place got it done again in 2nd trimester after getting advice and was fine they also put a balm on my head x

Yes as long as you’re in a well ventilated area

Yes. Stylists work with hair dye every day when they get pregnant.

1 Like

I didn’t for the first trimester…

Yes but your hair might not turn out the way you want, because of hormones. That’s what my stylist told me.

Yes as long as the area is well ventilated. I dyed my hair pretty much every few weeks while i was pregnant and my midwife was never concerned :blush:

My dr said yes its safe but prefer to wait until after out of the first trimester. So you would be in the clear. Some stylist refuse to work on pregnant women though due to sometimes coloring wont turn out right and worries about hurting your unborn baby

Yes I was still nervous so I waited till the end like a week before I had her lol

I wouldn’t recommend but I’ve heard some people do it. My hair stylist told me she carries pregnancy safe hair dye

Yes! I just did and we just did it outside to make sure the area was well ventilated 🤷

1 Like

Yes you can but hormones can make the color not take. I had two spots that would not hold color

I have always been told by doctors not to dye my hair while pregnant something about the chemicals so no I wouldn’t do it. I would wait until after the baby is born

You can have to be in a well ventilated area and choose a hair die without ammonia

1 Like

Yes but it might not take to the hair very well or over process. Both times I colored my hair in my pregnancies weird stuff happened. The hormones I think

You need to be in a well ventilated area. I never risked it myself, tho. My Doctor and mid-wife weren’t really for it.

ive always waited until 30+ weeks because, im paranoid with all of the “what if” it goes wrong, did i do something? thoughts…

coloring has always worked when i did do it.

Perfectly safe! I was always told to stick to highlights because the bleach stays off the scalp.

Yes, but hormones can cause the color to change or not hold.

Its okay in a well vented space, but lord don’t do it… I tried going a deep maroon and it came out freaking hot pink because of my hormones :joy: the hormones mess with it so much…

Yes it is no worries

If ventilated area but I’m not until I have this baby

Yes it’s safe, just make sure you have plenty ventilation.

It’s safe just make sure u are in a well ventilated area so u aren’t inhaling all the chemicals

While I was pregnant with my 2nd my water broke while I was paying for highlights/low lights. The results were always the same as prepregnancy. Only exception I noticed was a need to deep condition my hair more frequently.
Evey pregnancy is different and every person is even more so different so although my process worked for me through 2 pregnancies the next person’s might not.

I had my colored at 11 weeks and I’m fine

Yes but sometimes stuff can happen though. I dyed mine the same color i always do but while preg sooo much hair was just falling out while i was rinsing dye out it was scary.

Use arctic fox or manic panic (ones i used) they’re vegan and animal cruelty free and free of harmful chemicals

https://americanpregnancy.org/is-it-safe/hair-treatments-during-pregnancy/

They say if you want to be totally careful about the baby…not to do it. Talk to your OB/GYN about it. Or do some research. You will hear all kinds of stories about people who did questionable (or even bad) things while pregnant and their children are ok…but bottom line is WHY TAKE THE CHANCE?! Sometimes things women did while pregnant can affect the children down the road and not just immediately. For example, smoking or being around second-hand smoke often causes asthma in children down the road. Dyes are chemicals. If they tell you to stop drinking caffeine because it is bad for the growing child…think how much worse a cocktail of chemicals MAY be?

Yes. However your body may reject or not take the hair color like it normally would so you may pull copper tones or Ashy tones depending on your hair. Mine pulled copper the entire pregnancy

1 Like