Can you get post partum depression while on medication?

Can you get hit with postpartum depression even though you’re already on medication? I’m currently on sertraline 100mg, and I just have so much going on — a two-month-old an 18-month-old a nine-year-old. I had my fallopian tubes removed two weeks ago, and I have been going through court for my oldest. I don’t even sleep anymore I feel so overwhelmed I have school coming up in March, and honestly, I am about to give up on school because of my little one she cries a lot and I just get so annoyed sometimes. I have to leave her alone in a room because it’s too much. Thanks for your help.

8 Likes

I work full time & go to school full time. I have a 7 month old. And an 11&14 year olds. I started school when my baby was 3 months. It was so hard cuz he cried a lot too. A lot. Still does sometimes🤣. I don’t know how I got thru to be honest, but I promise it gets better. The first couple months are ROUGH. I promise it gets easier with time.

I took medication for mood with both pregnancies and had PPD with both. Be your own advocate and pursue the help you deserve. It’s not easy, I have a 3 month old and a 5 year old. Hang in there mama!

Of course you can.
Our bodies go through tremendous changes during pregnancy and for a significant time after. We’re all going to have a different experience.
Having multiple babies close, as you have is also a contributing factor.
Get some help asap, there is nothing wrong with going to your OB and saying you need more help.
Hope it gets better for you soon.
Hugs and loves.

Yes, please make time to see your psychiatrist, you may be in a manic stage and there are particular meds to help with that and hopefully would help you get sleep. You’ve a big job on your hands, my children were close too excepting I didn’t have a 9 yr old. Stopping and praying for you now.

1 Like

May need to try a different medication or it may not be strong enough for you. Talk to your doctor. Everyone’s body is different. I was on Zoloft for many years and it finally quit working for me. I had to switch to celexa and it has helped so much. You have to do what’s best for you. I had post partum with both of mine and full blown depression going through my divorce. Some days are better than others. Always try to get some sunlight when you can and exercise helps too. You need an outlet somewhere. (Something healthy) maybe keeping a journal, crafting helps me, reading, drawing… anything to keep you busy. Always remember, this too shall pass. Prayers going up for you! :heart:

If you’re already on something and still having issues you need to talk to your doctor. They may need dosage change, an additional medicine, or a different medicine all together. Also, with everything you have going on, it might be a good idea to see a therapist. Children can be overwhelming at times, and sometimes we forget that it’s ok to ask for help. Hang in there, prayers for your!

1 Like

Sertraline does not work for everyone. I was on this and I ended up in the ward for 5 days. Please talk to your doctor about this and switch of you need too. Prayers

Praying that you get the answers and relief that you need.

Yes you can and should contact your dr ASAP

Yes ma’am! Not all medications work with your DNA. Hormones change, lack of sleep, self image, etc takes a really big toll on new mommies. Please see your doctor and tell them what you are feeling.

2 Likes

First of all you are not alone, this is a very common occurrence and I applaud you for having the courage to post this. You have so much going on I’m personally impressed with how well you are doing thus far. Absolutely you can have PPD on medication. Make a Dr. Apt and be very vocal and descriptive of how you are feeling not only emotionally but physically too. You got this mamma, and you have a large group of supportive mammas here cheering you on.

Side note…dont beat yourself up over any negative comments on here, this is not the place or time for negativity. Listen and embrace the love and support :heartpulse::hugs:

1 Like

Go see your doctor. Explain everything you just said here! And please find a good support system… A good fiend… A sibling… A parent… Someone that will help you get some rest or a little time away! There’s nothing wrong with asking for help.

Yes it’s very possible talk to your Dr about readjusting you meds don’t ignore how your feeling , take care of yourself

2 Likes

Take a semester off and focus on your mental health. I had horrible PPD with my twins while on meds. Changing the meds up helped immensely. I hope you get some rest :heart:

1 Like

Its ok to let a baby cry to get a 5 min break…it sound like you need more help and honestly going to school might help you some and give you a break from home life

Speak with your medical provider ASAP. This medication may not be working for you anymore.

2 Likes

Yes… yes…yes… please reach out to a professional and close family for help with kids

Yes ma’am I suggest you talk to your Dr and they’ll adjust your meds…hang in there and God bless

1 Like

Speak to a psychiatrist. They will be able to prescribe you medication that your doctor can not. I was having the same emotional situation and seen a psychiatrist and she prescribed me 2 different medications. So I take 3 meds for my anxiety and depression.

You better go to the Dr and get on something else. If you wearing your patience with a 2 month old and leaving her in a room to cry you can cause that baby to get a hernia, ruptured blood vessels in the eyes. Where is the father? You need help,

Ask to change your meds, seems that sertraline isn’t working for you. Theres people who will go through a good few anti depressants before finding 1 that actually works for them. I’m on sertraline 100mg… I don’t think it work for me either and it’s the 3rd one I’ve been tried on

You can ask your doc to up your meds. Im on the same 100mg sertaline. Everything i feel it getting worse i just ask them to up the dose

1 Like

Talk with your OB. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from friends and family.

If you just had surgery on your fallopian tubes I’m sure that can cause some hormonal issues. Call and talk with your Dr and see what they suggest. Just keep on keeping on thou.

1 Like

I had one fallopian tube removed a couple of years ago. That brought on my first signs of depression. Struggled with infertility then got pregnant. Had the baby and bam. Postpartum depression got me. I had a cry all the time colicky baby. I noticed a huge difference in how I felt when I ended breastfeeding at 6 months old. My husband basically was like “listen… I’m bottle feeding him at night and you sleep.” Because I was a psycho I feel like. But after breastfeeding my doctor switched me to wellbutrin. Feeling better for the most part but still have good and bad days. Good luck mama!:heart: