Can you get tattoos while breastfeeding?

I think in most cases, it’s the preference of the artist of whether or not he or she will do it. Contact your artist and your pediatrician

Tattoo artist here, you can 100% get a tattoo while being a breast feeding mom. If you’re worried do a ‘pump and dump’ for a couple days but really theres no correlation with your milk ducts and your blood stream as tattoos are in the first layer of skin. Just make sure it’s an osha/clean safe shop and you care for your tattoo to prevent infection. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

It’s perfectly fine, if it’s done in a sterile tattoo shop.

You can, but there’s always a risk of infection. It’s better not to.

I was advised against it by my lactation nurse (with uncertainty) then rejected by to artists/shops I’d be to previously.

Yes pump and dump for 3 days

And dont tell them ur breast feeding

2 Likes

Nothing happens if ur pump and dump

When in doubt, dont.

1 Like

Also I’d recommend waiting to get a tattoo on the chest area if u are breastfeeding bc the healing process is longer than the milk decontamination… and yes you mil does in fact become rotten when getting upper chest tattoos …

2 Likes

So the Ink cannot pass through to your milk, the concern about breastfeeding and tattoos is infection. It comes down to if your tattoo artist is okay with it. You also have the option of not telling your artist that you are breastfeeding, but I prefer to leave it up to the artist and choose an artist that is comfortable with it, rather than be shady.

7 Likes

Ur body is so fragile and more so when ur pregnant or breastfeeding why risk it. I was told I could dye my hair and still decided to wait on it. So much work for that baby don’t want to risk shit

3 Likes

As a licensed tattoo artist (and a mother myself) I will not tattoo anyone who is pregnant or breastfeeding

12 Likes

They wouldn’t let me

I got my nose pierced when my baby was 2 months old. I exclusively breastfeed and I’ve had no problems.

A tattoo has absolutely no impact on your breast milk

2 Likes

Some of yall are being rude as hell up in here.

6 Likes

You can’t donate blood for a year after a tattoo because of the increased risk of getting hep b and other blood borne illnesses. So, I wouldn’t. Regardless of how clean and sterile the environment is, things happen.

4 Likes

A good artist won’t give you a tattoo. It’s proven to end up in your milk. Can’t wait till you’re done breastfeeding?

3 Likes

You can get a tattoo. You will be just fine. The placement of tattoos will NOT increase any risk in breastfeeding.

2 Likes

Most tattoo shops won’t knowingly tattoo a pregnant or breastfeeding mother. It’s the risk of infection, not allergic reaction. Your body is more fragile while pregnant and breastfeeding than it is when you’re not, which is why it’s unpredictable to know whether or not you’ll have a negative reaction to the tattoo.

3 Likes

I wouldnt recommend chest area for the simple fact that your baby could unintentionally scratch it and anyone w a tattoo knows that will hurt!

No your not supposed to and they are also not meant to by law

There are too many comments to reply too, but i have cancelled the tatto already this was just posted a little late. All those who have been rude about it im sure youve never been unsure of anything? Breastfeeding is new to me so i have no idea i usually ask doctors first with things like this but as it was a weekend i thought id ask on here for the time being. When ive been to tattoo artist before with people they ask about pregnancy but never about breastfeeding so i was just unsure. As i say it is cancelled until baby is ready to wean off the breast so not for a long time yet. Thank you to all those who advised. X

14 Likes

I’ve had a hip replacement, and was told that I would need an antibiotic before I could get another tattoo.

Nope! Not safe! Don’t do it!

1 Like

Wtf is everyone’s problem in here? Why do you think you’re so damn perfect? Get over your selves.

4 Likes

No, wait til you’re done breastfeeding.

As a tattoo artist… Ink doesn’t go past the first layer of skin. No way it can end up in your breastmilk. Clean needles clean set up, clean tattoo. You’ll be fine. I am 16 weeks pregnant and I even tattoo myself. Doctor said it’s fine.

5 Likes

Some of you are down right RUDE.

3 Likes

No. In case you get a blood infection I believe. X

I gotten a tattoo on my forearm while my son was an infant :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: hes 15M now. Perfectly fine.

1 Like

i did & everything was fine :slightly_smiling_face: approved by my doctor & tattoo artist :raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes

I think it’s up to the discretion of your tattoo artist. Mine personally didn’t feel comfortable tattooing me while I was breastfeeding, and I respected his decision for that. As long as your doctor says it’s ok, and your tattoo artist is comfortable with it, go ahead!

1 Like

A tattooist won’t knowingly do It, due to the risk of infection. But I know of people who have and it hasn’t caused a problem. X

Tattoos while breasfeeding is fine. Unless its an unclean shop. Its the aftercare that may make it dangerous. Especially if it gets infected which can lead to many problems including blood poisoning. Most will not tattoo you while pregnant but some will since its not a law. And the whole “my body my choice”

Technically yes you can. But like other times you risk any infection and sanitary risks, except with higher stakes. If it’s a sterile and reputable place than it’s probably okay, but do you want to risk it?

It depends on the tattoo artist :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I went to get a tattoo after my son was born and because I was breastfeeding he said no. I didn’t breastfeed that long so got one done after I’d stopped. I’m breastfeeding my daughter and I’m going to wait until we’re done before I get any more xx

Anytime you have questions like this , call your doctor!

1 Like

The only risks are infection and hepatitis B apparently, I’ve never had an infected tattoo and always go to a clean tattoo shop (hence why I go to the same one every single time)
As long as you get the okay from your doctor and your artist will do it, I dont see why not

1 Like

No no no. Cancel the appointment…

I’ve breastfed while being tattooed. It’s safe and you’ll be fine

1 Like

my opinion is to wait

if yall real the paperwork they give you to sign, even if they do it when your breast feeding, the paper work states you should not get a tattoo pregnant or breast feeding. if they still do it that’s a bad shop and shouldn’t be trusted

1 Like

I had my son’s name tattooed on my tit while I was breastfeeding,he is perfectly fine and so was I. Healing took the same amount of time as usual and there was no added concern because my tattooist is clean and so am I

My Lord some of you are STUPID! Commenting when you have no tattoos yourself,giving her incorrect information… y’all should be ashamed of yourselves!

3 Likes

I dont think theres anything wrong with it but I went to a tattoo shop to get my nose pierced and they made me fill out paperwork that had asked if I was breastfeeding they said just incase of infection they wouldnt do it though if I was

As with any procedure there is always some percentage of risk. Educate yourself on all possible risks and go into with the knowledge of any potential risks. If you don’t feel comfortable with the risk factor postpone the session. I’m sure your body art is going to be beautiful whether you get it now or wait a bit. Remember that your body is working hard to take of your baby and you might not want to add a stress factor of healing a new tattoo right now. That’s just my opinion so don’t anyone jump on me😜

Just go to a professional and watch for ANY sign of infection. You should be fine :relaxed: the ink itself won’t bother you, your milk or baby. It’s just the infection risk.

1 Like

Ask the tattoo shop before you book in just in case, because I know I can’t get a tattoo until I’m done breastfeeding just in case it gets infected.

My artist told me it’s safer to wait because they don’t know if or how it could affect your milk

I got two tattoos while breastfeeding, my son was several months old, and had started solids and I had a freezer supply. The shop I went to had me do the paperwork and made sure I understood the risk and couldn’t hold them responsible if something happened. Just do your research and make your own call. Everyone will say something different based on what they were told.

1 Like

Some places won’t do it but you can ask

Come discuss in Parenthood Uncensored

As long as you go to a trusted , CLEAN shop, I think you’ll be fine.

Here’s my look at it, you do you. Nothing is “okay” anymore without endless backlash. Do your research, talk to your doctor, weigh out the risks. Some places will do it, some won’t, but either way that’s why you sign a waiver.

1 Like

I waited until I was done :disappointed:

What’s the big rush?

Typically no and most tattoos artists wont if they know you are.

I got my daughter’s name when she was 6 months old and breastfeeding. I went back and forth with the decision. I’m actually looking to book one and my newest edition will be about 5.5 months when I do it.

I wouldn’t risk it ! You can get a tattoo anytime

Is there a chance at all you could get a blood infection?

when in dbout, don’t