Can you get tattoos while breastfeeding?

I’m booked in for a tattoo next Sunday, it will be on my forearm. I’m wondering if it is safe to go through with it as I am exclusively breastfeeding, my son is four months and three weeks if that makes any difference. I’ve had a tattoo before, so i don’t think ill have an allergic reaction, etc. but I’ve never breastfed before and don’t want to do anything that could potentially harm the baby.

39 Likes

I got a tattoo while pregnant (didn’t know) and he is perfectly fine.

Yeah u can, it’s the infection that is the risk

Yes. Shops just dont while you’re pregnant.

The only time a “no” comes up is due to infection (typically blood). That is a possibility with tattoos at any time, but infections are not good while breastfeeding. I spoke with several doctors about this

Put some breastmilk on it! :joy::joy:

1 Like

My tattoo artist recommended that I wait til I’m done breastfeeding in case of infection. I’m waiting to be on the safe side. :wink:

2 Likes

Most shops wont do it if youre pregnant, BUT breastfeeding yea theyll do it lol, just make sure everything is clean and you keep it super clean afterwards😊

I got two when my daughter was 4 months I had no issues it’s been 4 months some artists won’t due it for liability reasons

I got my first tattoo while I was exclusively breastfeeding. He was six months old

I did- no issues!! I have a 4 month okd

It should be safe. If you don’t want to then just pump some breast milk out. ?

I got one while I was breastfeeding both of my girls. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Some artists won’t. Mostly because if the person doesn’t take care of it properly, it will get infected and that will affect their milk, and then they’ll blame the artist and possibly sue. It’s a safety net for them to protect themselves. But as long as the artist is willing and has a sterile environment and sterile tools and is a reputable artist, it IS okay to get a tattoo while nursing.

I got one while breastfeeding and was just extra careful making sure it was clean so I wouldn’t get an infection =)

You’re gonna be fine, get it done. I’ve gotten 8 tattoos with zero problems. 2 while breastfeeding

1 Like

Yes, I got my chest tattoo while breastfeeding

1 Like

I did with no problem

Why not just wait if your worried

4 Likes

I got two when I breastfed. They told me it’s not enough ink in your blood stream to harm

A reputable artist will refuse to tattoo you. And I wouldn’t do it either

3 Likes

My artist just wanted me to get the OK from my doctor, my doctor said it was fine so I went ahead with it!

1 Like

A lot of reputable shops will not because their insurance doesn’t cover it. It’s not about ink affecting your breast milk but if you were to get an infection it could definitely pose a problem.

My tattooist said no because of the adrenaline your body goes through during a tattoo can change the makeup of your milk.

3 Likes

I would wait till you are done breastfeeding.

1 Like

:woman_facepalming:t4: don’t do an at home tatt and you’ll be fine…
Megan Schroeder… You should read some of these :exploding_head:

That sounds like a question for your tattoo artist…

Sounds like a question for the doctor.

1 Like

I got a tattoo while I was breastfeeding, I had never had a reaction to any previous tattoos and I was fine. But go to a reputable tattoo studio. I also didn’t tell them I was breast feeding as they can refuse to tattoo you :woman_shrugging:

I had a tattoo done whilst breast feeding

If you have someone who takes pride in their work and the practices then no you would be turned away just because of risk. Now if your going to just any joe or mini shop that just wants your money then they will do it.

1 Like

I got my sons name when my baby was about 5m and fully breastfed.

Yes you can! As long as you get it done by a professional, in a clean sanitary area and keep the skin clean! It doesn’t get to your milk and barely gets into a few layers of skin… i was tattooed early on in pregnancy and whole breastfeeding… my kids are 11,12 and 16… totally healthy, smart and active kids!! You just have to do it right!!

Why not just wait. Why take a chance?

Don’t do it. It’s too permanent just try a fake one

As long as your tattoo artist uses clean and sterile needles/ink it’s fine!

Some people will tattoo ypu some wont. I’d definitely call them and ask before you go to the appointment

No professional will tattoo any women pregnant or breastfeeding

2 Likes

Daniele Giarraputo-East does Rickknow the answer.

I’ve had two while breastfeeding! Just take good care of it

2 Likes

I’ve gotten one and nothing bad happened. Some say you risk infection but if you are going to a reliable shop and take care of it you will be fine mama :heart:

1 Like

I belive it’s the risk of getting an infection or a dirty tattoo that will cause people to say no. It’s the risk factor.

1 Like

I waited til I was done cause I didn’t want to risk of the an infection being transferred to my child.

1 Like

From what I’ve read it should be fine. The ink is in the first layer of your skin so it cant get into your milk supply even if you get a boob tattoo. Just keep an eye on it and watch for infection

1 Like

If you’re not 100% sure ask the company that you are getting a tattoo with

I think they ask you if ur pregnant or breast feeding. I think they dont do it that why they ask

I asked a tattoo artist once, and most of them advise against it because there’s more risks. The one I asked said he wouldn’t tattoo me until I was done breastfeeding.

1 Like

The tattoo shop where I’m from won’t tattoo you if your breastfeeding

I had 3 done while breastfeeding one on the boob my son had no issues!

1 Like

i think that would be a question for your doctor or your childs doctor or maybe the people tattooing you. those would probably be the people with the right answer. i dont think it would make any difference in your breast feeding unless you some how ended up with an infection afterward.make sure you are going to a clean reputable place that you know. but you should really ask a doctor.

2 Likes

As long as you’re going to a reputable artist, you have nothing to worry about.

1 Like

I’ve spoken to many tattoo artists. If they are willing to do it and know you are breastfeeding DO NOT GO TO THEM!!! Just because someone is willing to do it doesn’t make it safe!

3 Likes

I had one done on my forearm also and it healed completely fine and baby had no issues at all. Totally up to you and the artist but I would say you’re good to do it.

3 Likes

Why the hell would you even think about it, geez, stupid

7 Likes

“It is suggested that mothers wait at least until 9-12 months after birth, when the child is no longer dependent solely on breastmilk before getting a tattoo. Reputable tattoo artists will have a waiver for the client to sign that asks about pregnancy and breastfeeding.”… it’s slightly possible that the heavy metals in the ink such as cadmium, cobalt, manganese, etc can break down in the blood stream during the healing process.

4 Likes

Ask a lactation nurse they told me anything is a risk but with proper care they really is no problem you can do it or you can wait the choice is yours

5 Likes

I wouldnt but thats just me sister I would wait.

1 Like

I am a licensed permanent makeup artist as well as work in an accredited tattoo shop. I promise you it is unsafe to get any form of tattoo or piercing while pregnant or breastfeeding. Our shop will not tattoo or pierce anyone breastfeeding or pregnant. Please do not go to someone who will skip over the tremendous risks and tattoo you. Please be smart and don’t risk you and your child’s health because you want something cool.

84 Likes

Ive gotten several while breastfeeding.

7 Likes

Maybe you can pump ahead? I know It’s a inconvenience but it’s the only 100% way to make sure there is no harm to your child. If it’s something you just can’t wait for…

Should either stop breastfeeding or cancel the tattoo majority of the tattoo artist will not do your tattoo if your breastfeeding or pregnant I would never risk anything for my child…but then again that’s just me most moms don’t care don’t go by doctors advise

1 Like

Always ask your doc, but very very very little ink gets into the breastmilk, its an infection the docs are more concerned with. Mine okayed me to get mine done and make sure I took care of it. My son is 2 and perfectly healthy

1 Like

I’d ask the tattoo artist some wont even touch you if are. They are worried if you get an infection its usually like mrsa or a blood infection that can easily be transfered to the baby

1 Like

My old tattooist refused to tattoo any woman who was breastfeeding. I personally would wait as I did get an infection for a tattoo I got done in south Australia

Google it. Opinions are biased

1 Like

No you cannot. My husband is a tattoo artist and no reputable artist will do it until after. He has had to inform many a mama’s this.

7 Likes

I do remember them asking about pregnant or breastfeeding. Some of them may not at a young age. I wanted my wedding ring tattooed on while I breastfed our 4th but I was about 1.5 years in and still didn’t.

I wouldn’t, but I also have no ink.

Why does some women have to mom shame? Isnt this world messed up enough already? Momma just ask your artist about it. Watch for infection. If you have to pump enough until you are healed. #StopMomShaming #Geez

8 Likes

Most places won’t if your preg or breastfeeding but that could just depend on the state’s regulations.

I am 3 years into breastfeeding and I am waiting until my daughter self weans before I get a tattoo I really wouldn’t risk it not worth it at all😑

4 Likes

Talk to your artist. Get his input.

A lot of famous artist won’t do while you breastfeeding. They will reschedule you. 2 of my artists wouldn’t do it because it says in the form. No pregnant, no breastfeeding, no alcohol or drug use, etc…

1 Like

My artist is one of the top guys in the city and he won’t do it when breastfeeding, that’s his preference. I’m sure you can find someone, just make sure everything is sterile if you do

It’s a personal choice really, Also some tattoo artists won’t do it, Because there is always a risk of infection, And that’s what could potentially harm bub.
Personally i’d advise against it, Despite others success, Just because I don’t think it’s worth the risk regardless of how small.
I have a lot of tattoos, And never got any while pregnant or feeding bub just because there’s that possible risk.

1 Like

I did. Wasn’t an issue.

Tattoos can cause you to go into shock and make your body stop producing milk. You also increase the likelihood of getting an infection, and through breastfeeding: pass it to your little one. Those reasons cause most reputable artists to refuse to tattoo a mother while breastfeeding.

2 Likes

This is a question for professionals. Ask your child’s pediatrician.

Most won’t due to the chance of infection

Idk I’d ask a Dr or lactation nurse. As soon as I’m done being pregnant I plan on getting some more piercings :woman_shrugging:t4:. I’ve stretched my ears and septum a least a few times during the time I’ve been pregnant and nothing bad happened :woman_shrugging:t4:.

2 Likes

I got my daughters name tattooed on my arm about 3 weeks after she was born. My tattooist asked me If I was breastfeeding because he was not willing to do it if I was (I couldn’t breast feed my Bub) . Infections, etc can happen which can get in your system and be harmful to Bubby. My own experience tho :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m still nursing and just don’t feel the risk is necessary, so I’m waiting until baby is done nursing. Then I’m goin WILD :joy::joy:

3 Likes

I use to be a Tattoo Artist long ago. But our questioner we have Clients fill out asks if pregnant and breastfeeding. There is a risk involved depending on how your body handles pain and all, as well as ink (allergic reactions, doesn’t take the ink well, infections/even if you take care of it well anything can still happen. We turned away potential Clients who answered yes to those questions for Safety and Liability reasons. Many tattoo artists I knew back then said to wait. Me being a Prior Tattoo Artist I would say and highly recommend you to wait until you are done breastfeeding.

1 Like

As long as the shop is clean and sterile it’s safe. However, most reputable artist will not.

1 Like

Yes, as long as they’re clean! I got my tattoo while breastfeeding and it wasn’t an issue at all. My daughter was perfectly fine

2 Likes

You should have asked your doctor before putting a deposit down because they will not tattoo you when breastfeeding or pregnant.

I dont understand, why you couldn’t I mean as long as you know all the equipment is clean

1 Like

Yes you can. I got one on my hand when my daughter was 3months old. It’s fine just take care of it :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

The issue is if you get an infection. So if you go to a reputable tattooist that is clean, sterile and willing to tattoo you then it’s fine. Nothing passes through your milk from the tattoo itself.

1 Like

https://www.llli.org/breastfeeding-info/tattoos-and-breastfeeding/

Oh man… some of these moms are rude! I’ve gotten 3 separate tattoos while breastfeeding (not like at the same time :rofl:). The risk involved is infection, but if you go to a reputable artist you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. The ink itself wont harm your milk. Talk to your artist though cuz some may have something against it. Just do your own research and make the best decision for yourself.

4 Likes

The risk is getting an infection, so as long as they clean you should be fine.

I have been pregnant or nursing since i was 16. Im 27 with 9 tats. Id say go for it. In my experience it was fine

4 Likes

If you get an infection is the problem.

:thinking: are you tattooing your nipples? LOL

4 Likes

You 100% CAN get tattooed whilst breastfeeding the risk of infection is exactly the same as a non breastfeeding person. choose a reputable artist/studio, ensure they are using fresh disposable products and you see them being opened right in front of you and care for it properly after it’s done! Also infection from tattoos CANNOT be transferred via breastmilk as it’s not a contagion! :woman_facepalming:t2: Shock doesn’t stop milk production at this age either as milk i’ve made by supply and demand! There are a lot of peer reviewed studies in regards to tattoos and breastfeeding! Dr Jack Newman is a great source for breastfeeding related studies.

8 Likes

If the artist/studio asks you if you are breastfeeding you know they are clean and looking out for your health. Reputable artists will not want to be liable for tattooing a breastfeeding person. Ultimately it is up to you if you want to disclose. The risk is infection spreading…but if you ended up with an infection you would most definitely realize and react accordingly long before it was hazardous to your milk. I have had cosmetic tattoing while breastfeeding. Take care of yourself and do your research. :+1:

1 Like
2 Likes

No professional tattoo artist will tattoo you if you are breastfeeding.

5 Likes

In some states / county’s . Cps can get involved on basis of child neglect and abuse for getting piercings and tattoos while pregnant… as some dr offices are required to report it .

7 Likes