Can you start breastfeeding again after stopping?

Is it possible to re-start breastfeeding after stopping for 4 months? Tips/tricks? Has it ever been done before?

Had my baby in February and pumped and BF for 2 months then had to stop for personal reasons.

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can you start breastfeeding again after stopping? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

yes, it can --I would contact your local La Leche League for help

If you are still producing milk then yes.

1 Like

Relactating is possible. It is hard work though. Pump or breastfeed every 2 hours. Stay hydrated. Water, body armor, Gatorade and oat milk helps. Brewer’s yeast tablets can also help. You can get them on Amazon. I took 3 in the morning and 3 at night.

1 Like

My doctor started me on a pill

Talk to your doctor. They should be able to help.

It is hard work. I just went through this. So hard, but it’s worth it. If you’re willing to put in the hours and effort, then give it a try. Lactation consultants are great.

1 Like

I did! My oldest went on strike :joy::joy: 3 months later I started using a pump with him latching as well and it came back…

You can restart lactation… it’s even possible for a woman who has never given birth to induce lactation if she wants to breast feed an adopted newborn. Start pumping might take a few weeks… but stick with it and it will happen. There are also supplements you can take

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can you start breastfeeding again after stopping? - Mamas Uncut

Definitely! Just start pumping like when you had a newborn! It’ll take time but not to much!

Yes. Get in contact with a lactation consultant.

You can, but be prepared for many days without any milk producing at all.

It’s possible, not easy but possible. Talk to your doctor about it.

2 Likes

For real though, I believe there is a medication to get milk flowing. I have a friend who is an adoptive mom and she breastfed.

1 Like