Can you take prozac while breastfeeding?

My question is, has any other mommas taken Prozac while breastfeeding? Did it have any effects on the baby or milk supply??

1 Like

Talk to your OB not Facebook :wink:

13 Likes

Definitely talk to your OB but thatā€™s what I took and didnā€™t have any side effects. I was told it was studied on and deemed safe for pregnant women.

2 Likes

Please ask your doctor

3 Likes

This is a question for your OB/GYN not Facebook :woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

That is something you should have asked your doctor long before breastfeeding.
You can harm your baby.
Whatever goes into your body comes out in your milk.
ask your doctor not facebook

5 Likes

Obviously you need to speak with your doctor, but my OBGYN prescribed Prozac for me in the hospital immediately after having my son. I had taken it before. Looking back, I wonder if it was the reason I had trouble breastfeeding? My supply was pretty non-existent and my son preferred formula.

1 Like

Talk to your doctor first about your specific situation, but yes you can take it while breast feeding. You can also take it while pregnant.

1 Like

Talk to ur OB. Not FB. Please

2 Likes

Yes! But you should be asking medical questions to your doctor, not on Facebook.

Yā€™all sheā€™s just trying to get some personal feedback, maybe a little more than what youā€™d hear from your doctor as far as experience goes.

10 Likes

How do yā€™all know she hasnā€™t already asked her doctor and is possibly just looking for a second opinion? Doctors arenā€™t God either and donā€™t know everything.

7 Likes

I agree with speaking with a doctor obviously.

But something that hasnā€™t been said is Please take care of your mental health. If you need it but canā€™t nurseā€¦please formula feed and take care of yourself!!! Do not let anyone tell you to put aside your mental health to breastfeed!!!

2 Likes

I was on it while breastfeeding but I was at a low dose. I had trouble with producing enough milk but I canā€™t say that it was directly related to the medication. No side effects/development delays for baby

Never judge a book by its cover, I had always talked rubbish about the spiritual healers because i was living a luxurious life with my husband and kids. I never believed that anyone can solve someoneā€™s problems. I could rudely reply to the posts about the healers with insults little didi know that one day they will help me. It started when a strange disease attacked one of my kid for almost eight months. I visited all the hospitals in South Africa but the doctors couldnā€™t see the disease. I went to pastors, Sheiks, Sisters, and priests but couldnā€™t see any change. I sold all of my properties and lost my business because I was charged lots of money. I went back to Zero. My husband was used to a luxurious life since he was coming from a rich family. He started losing interest in me, disrespected me, insulted me in our kidsā€™ presence, all my in-laws hate me. I had no shoulder to cry on.I was left with no hope. The most heartbreaking part is when my husband started cheating on me with one of the member of Parliament which I wonā€™t mention her name. I got depressed and tried to commit suicide until when my friend asked me to contact papa marere . I had lost hope and besides didnā€™t trust healers. I called them scammers. My friend used his cellphone and called her. She gave him a date to go to her office and on that date, my friend picked me very early in the morning and took me there. I explained everything to her. She asked us to go back and bring the sick kid and we did so. She cast her spells and after a few hours, my son was healed. After 24 hours my husband came back home and apologized to me. he gave me a ring for my business and as I speak now am not complaining. I got back everything.+2348109805184 is his number for help. Email him via ( marerespells@gmail. com ) he is INCREDIBLE.

Maybe she did ask her doctor and now sheā€™s looking for someone who has experienced it and was wondering the outcomeā€¦geez.

Why are some of you on here? I really am curious because it appears that many of you have an issue with open discussions. You just like drama orā€¦

ask your Doc- Not Face Book

Oh while breastfeeding my OB said tiny trace amounts of it gets to baby but not enough to do anything, that goes for most medications as well but Iā€™d double check to be sure. My baby did normal even after I restarted the Paxil, no side effects to her and sheā€™s a happy healthy baby!

Yes, but please speak to your DOCTOR, NOT Facebook for medication questions. I took it during pregnancy and breastfeeding, and my daughter is the smartest in her class. Again, medication / medical questions should be answered by PROFESSIONALS, not appropriate for FB

4 Likes

Why are you asking a MEDICAL QUESTION THAT COULD POTENTIALLY INJURE YOUR KID ON FACEBOOK!!! If you are looking for free advice, call and ask the pharmacist at the pharmacy you got the RX filled at if you can take it. Or call your dr and ask the nurse or call a local hospital and ask for Labor and Delivery and ask a nurse in that ward. All 3 of those should give you SAFE free advice. This question shouldnā€™t be allowed to stay posted. If the person takes someoneā€™s advice WHO IS NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, THEY COULD BE SUED

3 Likes

All anti depressants carry some risk to fetuses, some more than others. Ask your doctor which one is safest, I know I stopped using my usual Paxil til after i gave birth. Thatā€™s a class D risk category but safer would be class C or even B if thereā€™s any SSRIs that safe.

They wouldnā€™t let me take Prozac while Breastfeeding, I had to switch something different. But talk to your dr.

Wow. While I agree with the advice given the tone sucks. A judgy bunch of mommas.

1 Like

Not recommended for breastfeeding. Zoloft is considered safer for breastfeeding.

Honestly admins, should NOT have put this post on here. This is a medical advice site. You should advise the mom to speak with her DOCTOR, NOT Facebook!

You need to ask your doctor and pharmacist about this, but yes fluoxetine is something you can take while breast feeding and pregnant.

Lactmed is a good resource for medications that are breastfeeding friendly