Cheap meal ideas for someone with high cholesterol?

So my husband has high cholesterol to the point he’s been put on meds for it.We just went grocery shopping and man. That was a little difficult and different also expensive! That doesn’t really matter if it keeps him healthier and betterAnyways if anyone deals with this as well. Do you have any advice or recipes?

3 Likes

Pinterest is my fav go to for recipes!

Oatmeal few times a week, baked foods, and walking 20 min or more 4 to 5 times a week. I have high cholesterol and that’s what helped me.

Oatmeal and apples stay consistent and u can see results

I eat oatmeal daily. Brought my levels down I dont have to take meds any more

Google recipes… that’s what I do. Other than that, no fried food, fresh vegetables, fruit, don’t know if he’s a sweet eater if so cut back on that, ice cream , cake are high in cholesterol. Bake, broil steam,

It is more about quantity and eliminating sugar and dairy.

My doc recommended low carb/sugar. If I have to eat carbs I make sure I eat a good fat with it and lots of veggies- fiber can cancel out some carbs. I also take a shot of apple cider vinegar to help with blood sugar ( which in turn helps cholesterol), you could try the pill version if he can’t stand the taste. I also sub cauliflowers rice for regular rice and try to eat more protein.

I found this great recipe book that has helped a ton, and the recipes are mostly tasty :yum:. It is definitely a tough journey but well worth it in the end!

1 Like

Warm lemon water, as hot as you can stand it.

1 Like

A lot of fiber, oatmeal and maybe some chia seeds to smoothies. Protein, lean meats, tuna. Low carb wraps, turkey deli meats. Veggie stir frys with some protein. Low glycemic fruits. Low sugar yogurts.

Avoid things containing coconut and palm oil if possible. Use sunflower spread. If you desperately need pastry use a potato masher to mix sunflower spread with plain flour - spread should be half the weight of the flour then add water to make pastry. Chill for 30 mins then Roll between greaseproof paper. Replace ground meat with ground turkey. Add leeks, peppers, onions and garlic to your food as much as possible. Add oatmeal if you can too. Learn to bake or oven cook things instead of frying them - I love cod topped with breadcrumbs baked in the oven but there are loads of similar recipes out there. Try to eat far less bacon, sausages and cheese. Save it for a weekly treat - and the same goes for pastries of any kind. I love making pasta bake with just veg and frying the onions using a bit of chorizo for flavour - I top with breadcrumbs and a bit of cheese for texture.

Beef liver supplement is a good place to start

Losing some weight will help lower cholesterol if hes overweight as well. But men get quite cranky when you try to curb their favorite treats Lol. (At least that was my experience lol)