Could I start breastfeeding again?

So my son is 7.5 months old. We always struggled with getting him to take the boob, so I ended up pumping for five months, then I went back to work and dried up and stopped pumping. However, I am able to stay home with him again, and I miss breastfeeding /pumping for him. I can still express a couple of drops from each breast, would it be crazy to try to start up again? If I do I try to get him to latch again or strictly pump? Am I weird for wanting to try again? Is he too old?

13 Likes

Itā€™s not impossible, not easy to do! Breastfeeding isnā€™t weird and itā€™s your choice when you want to start/stop :blush: I know people breastfeed until at LEAST a year.

2 Likes

If you are still lactating, you can do it, but it will be hard. You will have to rebuild your supply, and wont have much at first.

1 Like

You are not weird!! Go far it, I know a Mom who wasnā€™t successful at nursing until the baby was older. Good luck Mama!!

1 Like

Try and see what happens :woman_shrugging:t4: itā€™ll probably take a lot to build your supply back up but not impossible if heā€™ll even take the boob if not power pump and try that way and no not weird at all gl :white_heart:

1 Like

Just try! I would try latching first and see what he does. I breastfed for 2.5 years with the first and 18 months with the second. Never hurts to try!

Go for itā€¦ There is many resources out there that can help you produce more. Pinterest has recipes for lactation. They work amazing

Not at all!! Try latching start pumping the more you pump the more your supply will go up. Maybe he will want to latch this time. Try meeting with a breastfeeding consultant to help you with your journey. Best of luck Mommy!!

:blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

Iā€™d definitely look into lactation cookies and things like that to help give your supply a boost!

1 Like

Reach out to a local IBCLC and they will help you start producing enough again!!!

There are natural supplements you can take to help induce lactation and increase milk supply

Fenugreek is amazing in jump starting the milk flow also the babyā€™s suckling is great stimulation for milk production dont give up I breastfed my baby til he was 22 months it was a great bonding experience and hes always been pretty healthy especially for being born a tiny thing 4lbs 6oz best wishes!

2 Likes

Power pump, you should see an increase in milk

I started and stopped with one of mine, Itā€™s worth a try.

See a lactation consultant. There are methods or medications you can take to help restore or create your supply.

1 Like

I breastfeed my son but did a bottle 2 times a day just incase I wasnā€™t around. My daughter would go hrs not eating bc she never did the bottle only lasted a week or 2 when I went back to work. So with my 2nd my son I knew he needed to know the bottle heā€™s 7 months now n last week I went to the hospital for what I thought was a kidney stone. I was there for 5 days had surgery to take out a huge mass ect ectā€¦ they ran out of my breastmilk and had to give him formula it was ruff being away from my 3 yr old girl and baby boy but when I came back I was afraid to breastfed bc of the iv medicine ect so I wouldnā€™t let him latch I would pump n dump for a week being paranoid by the time I started to give him my milk again he wouldnā€™t take the breast. Canā€™t blame him his been through alot only knowing me then I disappear and then come back not 100 percent. My heart broke knowing my kids suffer anyway long story short my milk was like almost all gone it took 3 days pumping every 2 hrs to get it back i pump for him its the least I can do for him during all this craziness not as easy as when they latch for sure. Its doable though he does latch in the middle of the night when he wakes to feed. But during the day all bottle he rather it. Hes getting to be a big boy so its a win win just hurts me how he was force to wean. I feel like a failure on the happier side my mass turn out to be my ovary twisting n hemrage inside no tumor no cancer. And a plus you can still produce milk with one ovary. Sorry for the rant this all just happen a couple of weeks ago

2 Likes

Start by pumping everything 2hrs to rebuild your supplyā€¦

I went through a similar thing and didnā€™t, then always regretted it.
Itā€™s your child and your choice, go for it.

Drink mothers milk tea, drink lots of water and power pump!!

Momma do what you think is best!!

I think itā€™s an amazing food source

If you are still lactating, you can do it, but it will be hard. You will have to rebuild your supply, and wont have much at first.

Feel free to try again. Honestly weaning a baby of breast and bottles is difficult af sometimes. Also you will be starting off with a new supply so it wonā€™t be enough for awhile and youā€™ll be frustrated and heā€™ll be mad about it. If he doesnā€™t want to latch, you missed your window.

2 Likes

Heā€™s not too old!! If youā€™re still able to express then itā€™s worth a shot! He may not tolerate it well due to not getting a flow from the nipple. Pumping would help stimulate your supply also.

1 Like

Seems like a personal thing between you and your kid. Just because itā€™s not what I would do, Iā€™m not gonna tell you what to do. Just be prepared for the weaning process all over againā€¦

You are a great mom for wanting to do this for your baby. He is not too old at all. It will be a lot of work. Give him what you can produceā€¦no matter how much.

2 Likes

You can get your milk supply back. Keep pumping. The difficult part might be getting him to latch.

1 Like

You can get your supply up. Try power pumping. And if you want baby to latch I suggest starting with a nipple shield.

I know people who breastfed til their child was 5 every mama is different so do what u want for your baby

You definitely can!! All you have to do is start pumping every 2-3 hours and maybe power pump once a day until it comes back!

It certainly wouldnā€™t hurt to try

I still nurse my daughter and she is almost 3 years old. Do what you think is the best thing for you and your baby. If he resists, maybe pump and at least he is getting some breast milk from a bottle, its so good for him. But I know you want to actually nurse. Its a bonding thing with your babe. I love nursing too. Good luck mama. :heart:

Power pump and get him to latch on for as long as you can. Also while youā€™re pumping try to be skin to skin with him.

Hook up the pump and let it run 20 on each. Do this every other hour. Youā€™re milk should come back.

This is a very large group to ask for this type of advice. I suggest adding yourself to the FB page Breastfeeding is Biological. They will be able to help you with specific steps for relactating amd getting him to latch. You can do it momma!

1 Like

Give it a try and see what happens. If it doesnā€™t go well, heā€™ll eat the same way he does now and will still be healthy:)

Yes you can relactate, the best thing to do is put your baby directly to your breast with lots of skin to skin and good latching

Maybe try some lactation supplements (fenugreek) and cookies? Iā€™m worried I wonā€™t be able to breastfeed and Iā€™m in my third trimester so Iā€™ve been taking them the past week and seems like my breasts are getting larger and more plump (mind you I was very small before)

1 Like

There are a couple groups for relactation. Iā€™d recommend you join one of them.

Yes, you can, pump every 4 hours with the supplements and in a week or 2 you should be able too

Try mothers milk tea. Itā€™s not very good but I drank it warm and chugged it so it made it manageable. I find it now at Walmart.

Will take work. Cluster pumping, and foods that help with lactation. But heā€™s not too old by any means

2 Likes

Its called relactationā€¦ id visit with an LCā€¦ an sns system would likely be super helpfu

Start power pumping like a mad woman and get your water intake up! Iā€™d talk with a LC soon!

Apparently you can but you need to pump or feed every two hours with one five hours break

If you still have some milk coming, then you should be able to increase it. I would let him latch, he will bring the milk better than a pump

2 Likes

My daughter is 9 months and still breastfeeding, and we have no intention of stopping anytime soon. No, he is not too old :heart: Yes, have him latch and start increasing your supply again.

Drink a beer, that should pump you right up. Just one though. The barley in beer makes you produce like a mother.

I started breast feed again when I turn 18 still doing it at 63

3 Likes

Itā€™s called relactation. Yes it can be done. I would recommend a great LC and start by pumping every 2 hours. Taking herbs can help Motherlove is a great brand.

Drink a ton of rootbeer while pumping regularly and you should preduce a ton

Brewers yeast can be made into cookies or hidden in smoothies

Not too old! Relactation/induced lactation is def a thing!

Yes ,Its almost time for him to stop bottle never mind boob and doesnā€™t he have teeth yet? Do you really want your nipples to be chewed up infected,soar all the time?

The lactation consultant told me the national goal in the US is to breastfeed til 2 years. Some reputible organization but I forgot who.

Go ahead and nurse him themore he suckles the more milk you will produce. It might take a day or so but you can suplament with a bottle.

Milky Momma has products that will help you reestablish your supply