Could my childs father take custody from me?

No, if anything he would get shared or partial custody, if he went to court and established paternity. #attorney

If he isn’t on the birth certificate and he took your son, he will get arrested for kidnapping. At least that’s how it is here in NY.

Contact a lawyer… Not fb! Here in Colorado there is free attorneys for low income people/families.

If thats the case then I’m sure you dont have to worry. You have been the sole carer for 5 years and if he contests that then that will go in your favour. Having said that I feel that you want your child to have him in their life so nothing wrong with that. I am still friends with the father of my first 2 sons. But my youngest who is now 23 hasnt seen his Dad since he was 10! That was his Dads choice not mine. My son has said he is glad he doesnt know him as he was a violent man. All has turned out for the best. As your situation will :blush:

He could absolutely get a some custody. He won’t be able to take him but it doesn’t look good on you that you kept him from his son for 5 years by your own choice.
This breaks my heart. I’d do anything for my daughter to have her father around and there are girls like you who chose for their kids not to have their dad for no good reason.

4 Likes

The fact you openly admit its due to YOU not allowing it instead of because he chose not to.he has that ability… Yes he can push for custody.at least equal custody.if not full. His name not being on the BC he can fix easily by having courts order a dna test…

9 Likes

In Florida mother has all rights unless you are married.

1 Like

He has to prove paternity and then yes he can get visitations

He could depending on the state an what the laws are.

Wait what do you mean you kept your son from him? 1. it’s not very easy to take full custody however he could file for joint, and 2. the fact that you just said you were purposely keeping your son away from him tell me the judge will most likely give joint custody or at the very least visitation rights.

2 Likes

depends on the state but almost always men are more likely to get custody when they want it. Get an attorney and start doing whatever you can to protect your child

Everyone slating and jumping to conclusions. Noone knows the full story. He could have started drugs while she was pregnant, he could have been violent, manipulative. You don’t know her back ground. Stop judging an offer support. Women trashing women gets my back up

6 Likes

As long as he’s not a threat to the child he has just as much of a right to be in his child’s life as you do full custody I doubt it but some form of joint custody

He will get joint custody. As for residential custody it usually goes to the Mom unless he can prove Mom has made some bad choices. Such as drugs and alcohol or violence in the home. You are responsible for the people you hang around with also. My Son got custody of his two girls for several reasons. The mother let her friends do drugs in the house and the wonderful man she chose to marry was a 9 time felon. There were more reasons such as the cleanliness of the home etc.
Be prepared to have your world turned upside down. If you have all your ducks in a row and are taking good care of all of your children then you should be fine as the residential parent.

Why is it that the mom always get heat for “withholding” said child but the dad never took steps to see him? Never went to court, never got a lawyer, nothing. But the mom is in the wrong? Why didn’t the dad step up.

7 Likes

You withholding visitation might have fucked everything up for you. In MN, that’s considered child neglect. IF he was to establish parentage and take you to court they might favor him because of you not allowing him to see his child. They by no means would “take” your child from you, but they will grant him visitation or partial custody.

It’s so sad u have been keeping him away. I hope there is a good reason for u keeping him away :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Nope has to be on BC and paying child support…

Half you self righteous women need to shove it. You have ZERO clue as to why she kept the child away from the father. No one cares what you would do in a situation you’re not in and probably have never been in.

You didnt let him meet his child for 5 years?Aweh that’s sorta sad for your son and his father. Now he is up to your standards?. I think that hurts children . Your son doesn’t know his father and will be so nervous and upset. You pretty much set them up for a really tough situation He could have met him snd visited but maybe have done supervised visitation. I mean obviously there was a hopfully good reason behind you not wanting him to meet him and not just spite somthing but in the end i think that was probably not the best decision. There are so many children that are in same situation my BFs ex will only let him see the kids few times a month if hes lucky purely for the reason he is doing well and happly moved on and she just isn’t…This isn’t a hateful comment just my opinion.

1 Like

In Florida, you are in BIG trouble. I know a situation where the guy was in prison for several years. He had never even met the 6-year-old girl. He pretty much immediately got 50/50 custody and a court-ordered name change for her last name. Florida is has become a very pro-father’s rights state and withholding the child from the father is often punished harshly.

1 Like

Was he abusive or on drugs like I really dont see why youd keep him from his father

Chances of him being able to have time made up for your resisting their connection is high. Regardless of his actions towards you it’s always in the child’s best intrest to know and have relations with both parents

1 Like

Coming from someone who’s husband is currently on the receiving end of a baby mama keeping his daughter from him out of nothing but spite; with all disrespect, fuck you.

Unless your kids father is a pedophile or used to beat you, you are 100% a horrible person and a horrible mother for what you did, and you should be completely ashamed of yourself.

1 Like

Keeping your child from their father is just plain selfish and child abuse.
This post just pisses me all the way off

Always establish agreements through the courts as soon as possible! They can’t help one way or another if you leave them out of the process, and will end up making their own judgements once they do get involved.

Having said that, it is doubtful that he would be able to take 100% custody immediately like that without a lot of evidence that you’re an unfit parent.

Please consult legal council.

In Florida yes. And Florida is a 50/50 state.

Yep. He will have to get DNA test.

I’m in Florida. He can get visitation. I went thru it. Florida is big on kids being with both parents. Only if you’re unfit can he get custody. It would be a battle! Also, you’re comment that you kept him away from the child… shame on you! Why would you do that? That’s not just your child!

He would have to petition the courts to get visitation rights but no the court wouldn’t allow him to take a child away from the Mother unless it was a abuse case or for the childs wellbeing.