Did anyone measure big but not have a big baby?

Any mom went through measuring big in pregnancy, but baby weight lower than 9 pounds? My first kid I measured 3 weeks ahead had him in 37 weeks and weight 6 pounds. I’m expecting and measuring five weeks ahead, according to my OB appt today. I had an emergency with my first. I’ll be getting an ultrasound 36/37 weeks to see if the baby is big and if it is, I’ll be having a CS since I had an emergency c-section. I am stressing because I want to deliver vag :tired_face: I can say I wasn’t the healthiest for my firstborn but the second one I am healthier.

13 Likes

Yep. The due date kept changing bc she was “so big”. Came out 8 pounds even. Which is big but not as big as they made her seem :rofl:

1 Like

Opposite experience actually… But the same idea. I measured on track for the entire pregnancy with my first and she was two weeks late and 6lb 13oz. Second baby I measured small, to the point that they told me I was dealing with growth restriction towards the end and had to go for extensive 3-D scanning, which subsequently revealed that I would “have a bout a 5 pound baby”.

She was 7 lbs. 6 oz.

If you can, find a local midwife with experience traveling to less medically advanced countries. It sounds strange but that’s the only person who gave me any peace of mind… And she was literally right on the money. All she did was push on my belly a few times and go “ that’s about a 7 1/2 pound baby in there” :joy::joy:

1 Like

How far along are you now? Five weeks is a really big gap. But if you measured three weeks ahead the first time and only had a six pound baby I would make sure they are 100% sure about baby being big before you make any decisions. Some doctors will not do a vbac depending on the situation. There’s a lot that goes into it

I’m sure once you have a csection unless due to medical reasons it’s your choice to deliver vaginally?:thinking:

They told me my son would be around 9lbs. He was just over 7

When I was roughly 38 weeks my doctor thought my baby would be about 9 1/2 pounds but when he was born he was 8 pounds and one ounce

YES!!! I had gestational diabetes and every ultrasound they said he’s gonna be born chubby and big. They even induced bc they didn’t want him to get any bigger… my son was born 8 lbs 2 oz. I prepared with clothes 3 mo. Or bigger but guess what.?? I had to go shopping for newborn clothes bc none of the ones I had fit him. This is him 10 days old. My little skinny baby boy. (He’s 13 months now)

My son measured 10lbs at 36weeks. He was born naturally at 39.5 weeks at 7lbs 6oz.

With my middle daughter. I had so much amniotic fluid that I could visibly watch my stomach go down as the Dr ruptured my membrane. Almost four gallons. She was born at 8 lbs 2 ounces.

Mine went the other way. They told me she was measuring small but then I had a ten pound baby :weary::woozy_face: with my first I was mesuring like 2 weeks ahead and he was only 8lbs 2 oz. And I had gestational diabetes They’re wrong sometime. But better safe then sorry :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Wish I could say yes but no. I was induced 2 weeks early because they were concerned with the size of my son because he was showing just shy of 9 pounds just before 38 weeks. 2 days after being admitted to the hospital I pushed out my 9pounds 14 ounce baby boy.

At my 38 week growth scan my little girl was coming up at 8lb+ already. I had her at 41 weeks exactly and she was 7lb 11, so I don’t think the estimated measurements are too accurate x

They told me my son was measuring big but he was born on his due date weighing 7-8

Yes I did. Was told my baby would be at least over 8lbs. She’s was only 6lbs 9oz. :woman_shrugging:

I always measure big and have 7lb babies. I have a big uterus and carry alot of fluid.

They told me that based on my ULTRASOUND my youngest was going to be 10 pounds. :roll_eyes: I told them that she was MAYBE 8lbs. We went back and forth like that. She came out 2 ounces shy of 8lbs… Just like I said.

When I was 7 months pregnant the Dr told me my son was big, like 8-9 lbs already!:flushed: so, I was like well…i hope I have him early cuz idk about this!:rofl::joy: then I ended up having an emergency c-section due to baby’s oxygen levels. And when he came out they weighed him and…5lbs 6ozs… he was so tiny!!:rofl::joy::rofl: but we were both healthy so that’s what really matters!

1 Like

I was told she’d be over 9lbs. She was born 2 says before due date. Weighed in at 6 1/2 lbs.

My daughter was born at 39 weeks and was 9 pounds 4oz. I was measuring about 4 weeks ahead. They thought she would be closer to 10 pounds full term.

My son kept measuring at 3 weeks ahead at every ultrasound. At 37 weeks they said he was measuring at almost 9lbs. I was induced at 38 weeks and he was 7lbs5oz

Doctor had me scared with my 3 baby they kept telling me he was going to be at least 9 to 10 pounds. He wanted to schedule a c- section but I convinced him to let me deliver natural like I did with the other 2 no meds or anything. My son ended up only weighing 6 lbs 2 oz. He did have a big head though lol

I measured big with my son but when I had the csection he came out and weighed at 7pounds 21 ounces

I measured in target but my son was born 8lbs 1oz, every women differs in their pregnancies

My first they told me would be over 10 pounds and was born 7 pounds 10 ounces.
My second they said was small and would be around 6 pounds, she was 7 pounds 12 ounces.
My third measured anywhere from 2-4 weeks ahead (different techs gave me different times) and was 8 pounds 6 ounces.
First was born at 38 weeks
And babies 2 and 3 were born at 39 weeks.
All three came on their own.

Yes they told me my son was gonna be 8 pounds had him he was 6 pounds 13 oz

My OB scared me into thinking I was going to have a 9-10 pounder. I’m only 5’0” and have a small frame. He measured 2-3 weeks ahead my entire pregnancy. At my last check & ultrasound, just days before I gave birth at 39 weeks, they still confirmed he was big but mentioned there could be a +/- 2lb difference. I was shocked when he came out & only weighed 6lbs, 10 oz!!! He did have a giant 99th percentile head though! I think he just ran out of room in there because once he was out he started gaining a pound a week for 6 weeks straight!!! He’s now 13 months & about 23.5lbs. Just perfect!

I was told the l opposite. Around 35 weeks I was measuring a little below… but at the time that baby was being delivered, is when dr asked me if I had big babies before… My answer was no. Our baby boy was 8lbs 5 oz with a pretty big size placenta. He measured 21 and half. And I am a small frame. It was hard to push this baby out! I needed more assistance.

I am 35 weeks tomorrow and mine is measuring at the 89th percentile with head and legs measuring at 39 weeks.

Unless there’s a medical reason for a section I’m sure you could try for a vbac if it’s safe for you. I had an emergency section with my first in 2011 then in 2014 with my second I was told I was measuring big but not that big, I had a successful vbac and he was 9lb1. My 3rd in 2018 I was measuring even bigger than 2nd and was told its safer for a section but had the option of a vaginal birth still, for safety reasons I had a section,quite glad as he was 10lb9😂

At 30 weeks my doctor told me my daughter was measuring 3 weeks ahead of where she should have been and was talking to me about having a c-section if she got any bigger, she told me not to buy to much newborn clothes cause she was gonna be so big. I had her at 6lbs 2oz at exactly 39 weeks. When we got home she swam in newborn my mother and husband had to go and buy premie clothes and diapers so she had stuff to wear

My baby weighed 7 pounds 1 oz at 36 weeks 5 days im 38 weeks 3 days right now im getting induced thursday @12 am im scared she gunna be big

Me!!! They said my son was going to be 10lbs so they induced me 38 weeks. So he wouldn’t get bigger he was 7lbs :roll_eyes:

They made me have a c-section with my 3rd after 2 natural births because she was supposed to be over 10 pounds. She was the SMALLEST 8 pound baby I’ve ever seen. I was not very happy considering I’m type 1 diabetic and it took me longer to heal from it

1 Like

I was given an option to go vbac after my emergency csection with my stillborn. I did get a repeat csection for many reasons, but the option was putnon the table because I meet the criteria for VBAC. There are many variables to meet for vbac, not just how healthy you are. Wright, how you were cut. And almost all my babies were 3-4 weeks ahead but never considered big babies. Biggest baby I had was 7lbs 5oz. Ive had 7 babies (that includes my stillborn but not any of my miscarriages as they were super early). Measuring ahead by 3-4 weeks shouldn’t put baby in the big baby category. Ive had 5 of my babies vaginal. Only reason I had a csection is because with my stillborn I may have lost my life as well had I been induced. So if you meet the criteria with vbac and find a doctor that’s OK with it, there is a possibility. Usually the doctors in my area don’t worry about measuring ahead until you measure more or less than 4w. And they can always measure wrong even with ultrasound its super easy to do. With my rainbow who is currently 3w5d I had weekly ultrasounds and at 35w3d gestation I was having my weekly ultrasound when they measured baby in the 11th percentile weighing 5lbs 11oz. Well, they sent me somewhere else that same day to get a second opinion and dueing that ultrasound the tech was very careful and took many measurements and found baby to be in the 37th percentile. The tech showed me how easy it can be to get different measurements and if they are off by just a small amount that can mess everything up. I had my baby at 37w4d and baby weighed 6lbs 3oz. I don’t know why they consider that small. As to me any baby less than 5lbs is small. And I dont understand why my babies measured so big according to them when none of them were over 8lbs.

I measured a week ahead my entire pregnancy. Despite that, my son came over a week late and was just under 9 pounds.

I measured ahead my whole pregnancy. They thought my daughter would be 9/10 lbs and she was 7 lbs 13 oz but she was very long at 22 inches. Born at 39 weeks 3 days.

I have very small babies. 6lbs3oz and 5lbs10oz. With smaller one I measured much bigger much quicker. Make sure with your provider that you are going to be able to do a VBAC some hospitals won’t allow it because it could be a liability.

No but we induced three weeks early with my third bcc I had GD and high blood pressure. They were estimating she may be “big” because of my Gestational diabetes. She was my smallest at 5lbs 11oz. :woman_facepalming:t4::woman_shrugging: their measurements in the wombs and be plus or minus a lb or two in my case. I almost think think they shouldn’t estimate since they are sooooo far off so often.

I measured big with my second. They expected him to be 9-10 lbs. he was born on his due date at 7lbs 8oz.

Induced labor at supposed full term but my son was born with downy hair all over him. 7.1 pounds but I’m certain he was too early. Dr kept saying he would be over 10 pounds.

My first they switched his due date 3 times saying he was due later because of small size. 2 weeks after last due date he was 8lbs 5&3/4oz next 2 the ultrasound tech was dead on for weights

I measured average and had a 9lb 14 oz baby.

Yes! I was induced because my baby was measured around 8lbs at 37 weeks, but was only 6.8 when born.

My doctor kept telling me I was gonna have a big baby with my 2nd. I measured about 2-3 weeks ahead until around 36 or 37weeks & he stopped measuring my stomach. I had her at 40w, 3d & she weighed 7lbs, 1oz & 19 &1/2 inches

I measured big my entire pregnancy and my son was born at 8lbs 4oz at 39 weeks.

I measured big my entire pregnancy. They thought I was gonna have a 10lb baby. (Her father was a 9lb baby) I ended up just having way more fluid than anything and she was 8lbs 1oz.

My 1st was 9.8lbs and they estimated 10 lbs by birth after 37 week u/s said 7 + pounds. So that was pretty accurate. My second; they estimated 9 lbs at 37 weeks scan and said expect 11 to 12 lb baby by delivery. Was induced at 39 wks + 6 days and she was 8.1 lbs! Like my doctor told me this time around (due early October) they have a hard time really knowing what’s going on until delivery. They can scan and guess and all that but there’s never any guarantee one way or the other.

I was told during ultrasounds my babies estimated weight at 40,weeks would be 9.5-10lbs. His head and torso measured above the 95% tile. I delivered him naturally at 39 weeks 1 day and he only weighed 8lbs 10oz. The ultrasounds are not always correct in their weight measurements. And the doctor even told me that the weight measurements become worse the further along you are especially after 36 weeks

Sometimes they can be accurate with ultrasound. I had one the day before I delivered and the estimated 5 pounds 12 ounces. She was 5 pounds 13 at birth. It is totally possible to vaginally deliver a 10 pound baby though. Lots of women do it

The position of baby will also affect the estimated weight.

I measured 2 weeks ahead almost my entire pregnancy, delivered 2.5 weeks early and my daughter weighed 7.4

I measured big with my first always a head of the game and she even came early. She was due april 11, of 2004 and was born march 27, 2004 and weighed 8lbs 11oz 23inches long. Pretty good size. With my other girl i was measuring over and doctor thought she woulf be same size but she was only 7lbs and 7oz and 21 inches long its 9years differences between them and take photo’s of older one and younger one side by side the smaller one is double in size at same age just not when born. The younger one just turned 7 and the oldest is 16 and the youngest is up to shoulders. Both girls. My son was the smalest 6lbs and 4oz. And is the middle child and still the smallest

My first was an emergency section as he was big(not far off 10lb) and I was measuring bigger for my second so it was a planned section and he was born just over 8lb!!! Sometimes they can get the weights wrong but I would listen to the advice they give you xx

I measured 4 weeks ahead and they estimated about 9lbs. He was born at 38 weeks and was 6lbs 9 ounces. He did and does have a big head though…

With my last baby I was measured at 36 weeks. The lady told me she was already almost 9 pounds and would prolly be 11 by due date. I FREAKED cuz this baby was another vbac. Funny story time… I went overdue with her, was induced and she was born at 40+4 and 8lbs 4oz. LOL. Those measurements are silly and just a guessing game. My tech even told me at that ultrasound she’d “never been wrong before” lol. Dont stress too much. Side note, I have bigger babies. My first was almost 9.5 then 8lbs2oz , then my youngest 8.4

Repeat c sections are not all the bad. I have had 3. First one was an emergency and the second 2 were just naturally offered because of my first. Recovery was way easier with two and three than my first. Start walking now if allowed! Staying active is key! Also my ob said my babies all measured big and they all measure smaller than they estimated except for first child. I’m a tiny 5’3” and my first baby was 8lbs 7 oz, second and third were 8 pounds and under. You need to bring to light with your ob that you wish to deliver vaginally this time around. Make a plan and see if they will go along with it.