Do I have a right to monitor what my niece watches when I babysit her?

I have been babysitting my 7 yr old niece for a few days now, and I’ve noticed that she’s been watching some age-inappropriate youtube videos. There are a few cuss words and dirty jokes that may go over her head, but I still find it inappropriate for her to watch. She says that she’s allowed to watch these videos at home, which I find believable because her parents don’t pay much attention. Luckily my own children are two months and two years old, so having these videos playing does not affect them. However, I am worried about what kind of ideas these videos are filling my niece’s head with. I have never babysat before, so my question is: do I have the right to monitor her viewing choices while she’s here, even if her parents insist that its okay?

47 Likes

Yes, Your House Your Rules. Plus you wouldn’t want your two year old hearing inappropriate things and repeating it.

55 Likes

Yes, your babysitting, your house, your rules. Explain you understand she might be allowed to watch that at home, but while she’s at your house you aren’t comfortable with it playing

9 Likes

At your house, your rules go

2 Likes

I would tell her she cant watch those videos and then double check with her parents that that is ok.
My son tried to pull a one over on my mom who was watching him for a bit- there is a show on Netflix that he isnt allowed to watch and he had it on at my moms and said “mommy and daddy let me watch this”. My mom immediately texted me and asked and I said absolutely not and she turned it off. Kids are sneaky and will take an opportunity anytime that they can. Always check with the parents.

6 Likes

You should probably mind your business, but if they need you to babysit they’ll have to put up with you overstepping

5 Likes

Voice your opinion to her parents. Maybe download kids YouTube instead and say this is the one we use at auntie’s house

7 Likes

Id ask the parents personally and explain to them u dont want that around ur kids and if she cant respect that then give her a timely notice to find someone else 🤷

1 Like

You can’t control what goes on in her home but you control what goes on in yours

4 Likes

Yes , your house your rules. Its simple Respect.

4 Likes

Your house your rules but your children will be trying to watch the same stuff one day, goodluck.

1 Like

Definitely. I would look at it as, you have been trusted with her because they value your own parenting skills and views. And is she really telling the truth??? I would also discuss this dilemma with her parents. They may not be quite as observant as you.

1 Like

Definitely. It’s your home and you are responsible for her while she is in your care. Tell her you can watch those at home but we don’t watch those here .

3 Likes

Different rules apply. You set them.

1 Like

Absolutely 100% yessss!!!

1 Like

Simply Answer: Yes You Do!!

1 Like

If it’s in your house you decide what she gets to watch. If her mom has an issue with it she needs to find a new sitter

1 Like

Yes I would monitor and go
change the settings too for Restricted Mode…

For YouTube, go to settings/General/ Click Restricted Mode.

I put this on all my devices to filter out adult content.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t let her watch it at my house if she’s at her house and her parents let her that’s up them

2 Likes

Sooo none of yall watched ren and stimpy As a kid ??

7 Likes

Your house your rules

1 Like

Your house your rules

2 Likes

It’s your call. I just have to say, some of the shit I watched as a kid was wild. 92 baby right here. As long as her behavior is proper or corrected. Who cares? You can’t hide kids from the world they live in. Just teach them right from wrong. If it’s rather harmful content, and creating a problem, handle it. Set boundaries. But most importantly, communicate your feelings to the parents. Your house your rules, flat out. Overall we live in a crazy time. My 9 year old daughter does not even have a tablet or anything of the sorts. I make her play and be a kid. Maybe when she’s with you, put it away and give her something creative to do, or kick her ass outside to play and use her imagination. I fuckin hate this YouTube bullshit to babysit the kids.

I think it’s ok to have stricter rules than the parents at your house. It would be different if you were letting her do something they didn’t want, but this is completely acceptable.

2 Likes

Well your sister should find another baby sitter Because it seems like you’re the type of person that would get offended at the drop of a dime

14 Likes

Absolutely. Wouldn’t hurt to talk to her parents though. Just let them know that you’d prefer that she watch something more age-appropriate when she in your care. If they have an issue, they can find someone else to babysit.

2 Likes

My son isnt allowed to drink soda, tea, or kool aid except on special occasions. My niece is allowed those things at her house. When she comes to my house she knows she isnt getting anything other than milk, juice, or water just like my son. She tried the “but i can drink it at my house” routine but learned quickly that things are a little different here. They are 4 and 5. So I agree, your house your rules

9 Likes

Your home …your rules!

Not your kid, not your place. If the parents allow it, what’s the issue?

6 Likes

Yup, your house. If her parents don’t like it then they can find someone else to babysit

3 Likes

:100: your house your rules.

Um, yeah? She’s 7. She should be watching stuff in her age group…

Yes you do and if u feel she shouldnt at your house dont let her. What she does at home is up to her mom. But its u watching her let her ypi rather not watch them and dont let her

Your house your rules. I would also bring it up to her parents. I hate youtube so its not allowed in my house. My breaking point was when peppa and George were running around with guns shooting ppl and another one was Mario and princess peach were in bed together. And my kids didnt go searching for it they were just looking up videos, my son really like peppa and mario.

2 Likes

You’ll be amazing what your 2 year old can pick up if he’s sitting there listening. If you don’t think it’s appropriate I wouldn’t allow it but would also mention it to the parents

I’m a nanny and monitor everything while children are in my care.

Your house your rules

You have the right to choose what is watched in your home. I would discuss it with her parents though. They be unaware.

Those YouTube videos arent always nice. I have make my children cut it off. 7&8. I hate that YouTube for them. Some is educational but alot is just ugly. I block it and it seems get unblocked. I delete it gets redownloaded. The children’s isnt all that bad. If monitor it and talk to parents. Your home your rules. Your babysitting if dont like they can find new sitter. Younger children learn from older ones. So what she learns she will teach yours in time.

Definitely!!! I was a nanny for 12 years and then babysat out of my home for 4 years… when you are in charge then it’s your rules. I am pretty conservative about computer privileges and tv programming. I prefer they read or play, or craft.
If I wouldn’t allow it for my kids then it wasn’t allowed at all.

Your house your rules I have been babysitting for many years for different families and none have had a problem with my no tablet rule! The kids usually have so much fun they don’t notice the tablet isn’t there. My own kids aren’t allowed on tablets or computers often and we watch YouTube videos only together my 7 year old loves crafting videos and my 5 year old does ballet classes on YouTube so it’s not all bad :two_hearts:

When my nephew is in my care it’s my rules, especially if we’re at my home (he is almost 9 and I’ve been taking care of him since he was 6 weeks). He’s tried the "well I can play this game on my iPad when I’m at home " which got him to not be allowed to be on his iPad for a period of time…it took one time of taking it away for him to wise up

1 Like

Bottom line-your house, your rules.

2 Likes

I absolutely would! My nephew came and stayed the summer with us, he’s 10. And while he was here, he knew, our house our rules. I don’t care what you parents do or don’t let you do at home.

Yes you have every right to do so! When my son goes and stays with his nana I always tell him he is at his Nana’s house so therefore he goes by his Nana’s rules and he is to mind her !

I think that depends on your relationship with her parents. I keep my nephew and he has the same rules as my kids. I have 4 myself and he’s an only child so adjusting to that was hard for us but we are doing good now. My BIL knows I’m a good mom and he trusts my judgment so if I thought something was off then he would have no problem with me telling him he can’t watch it.

Absolutely! Your house your rules! She watches appropriate stuff or nothing at all

Why do you care? Does it harm you? If not, let it go. Her parents don’t have an issue with it why should you?

3 Likes

They may not be your child, but they are in your care and in your house, so your rules.

1 Like

Definitely monitor! I’ve overheard my 10yo on YouTube and some of that is vile

(Numbering to keep thoughts in order…not to be hateful)

1. As a parent with a 7 year old myself…we dont do YouTube in this house. Except for music. But. My 7 year old has watched…the meg Jurassic world…the shallows…and several marvel movies with us.
    All of which have cussing and inuendos. You’d probably believe that’s all inappropriate age wise to…and yet clothing, backpacks, lunchboxes, and costumes have been directly geared to that age group with those things (particularly Jurassic world and marvel).

2. Talk to her parents. If her parents are allowing it then you may want to take a second and put yourself on pause and do a little self-reflection.
    -is it truly inappropriate or is it just that you believe its inappropriate?
    -do you believe its inappropriate because you’re not familiar with raising a 7year old? Meaning your children havent reached that age so you’re just kind of inferring your experience with younger ages to the older age?

Yeah. Your house your rules…but at the same time she’s ultimately not your child.
While some rules universally apply to all ages, some do not. Some “rules” definitely vary by age and what they watch is definitely one of those things. I would expect my 8 year old nephew to watch “older” stuff than my 3 year old son.

3 Likes

Download the YouTube kids app! It filters most of the inappropriate stuff out :heart:

I have similar situation, I babysit my nieces 6 & 7 and I don’t allow them to watch that stuff when they are in my care, I don’t allow my 6 year old daughter that type of stuff so same rules apply

Your house. your rules,

If you don’t then who will ? Keep her safe from this disgusting vile world. However the problem needs to be looked at backwards - You need to become so close understanding and trustworthy to her that she will always feel confident coming to you with details as well as her feeling comfortable with you giving her advice and indirectly overseeing her well being. Always remember- she will find a way to play these games with or without you (your not special for noticing) but you can be! If you’re willing to watch love and guide. Staying open with children always keeps you ahead of the Perverts!

Absolutely. Your house your rules. Thank God someone is looking out for her

Your house, your rules

You sure do!
Your house, your rules.

She’s not your child. Point blank period. Have a conversation with her parents and explain your concerns and that you would prefer for her not to watch said videos in your household. Maybe she can use headphones so your children will not hear it. However the Reality is if her parents do not see a problem with them then she will continue to watch them

4 Likes

To answer this question anonymously, head to our forum

Absolutely! If shes In you’re care you can most certainly choose to monitor what she watches when shes over. Even if her parents ok the show. It still is your house you’re rules.

your house your rules

2 Likes

Your house! Your rules!

1 Like

Have to sensor…my 7 year old gets on YouTube and some stuff that is kids cartoons people fill with curse words and crap. I hear it and I make her watch something else.

Ask mom and dad what they allow

Since she’s around your children yes. Absolutely

Change the settings on her

1 Like

You have your own kids so most definitely even at two your kids might pick up on it! If they let her watch it at home, whatever but at your house around your kids I think that’s a big Nono.

You’re the adult in this situation and the child is in your care, correct? Well … need I say more?

1 Like

How about you find something more appropriate to do with your niece. Something fun so she doesn’t need to be entertained by the screen time. Arts and crafts or a game would be fun!

When other kids come to my house, I don’t allow them to watch, listen to, do or say anything that my own kids aren’t allowed to do. That’s just my rules for my home.

2 Likes

Your house your rules

2 Likes

You guys are too technical with this shit your niece YOUR NIECEEE?? Lol you obviously have the right to monitor your niece no matter where she is.

Since you have a 2 year old you have all rights to put restrictions on what she watches when she’s in your home. No one wants their little sewing and repeating inappropriate things

Yep! In my house it’s only kids YouTube. And their age limits apply! If they don’t have kids YouTube then I download it. If I can’t then they don’t watch it. But Honestly when I have my nieces and nephews here they are outside from sun up to sun down. They rarely sit and watch tablets. But I get sometimes it’s necessary.

If they won’t parent in their house their choice in your house you can set the rules and thank goodness you do.

1 Like

…if you can’t figure this out maybe you shouldn’t babysit…

1 Like

Ur house, ur rules!!!

My son watched stuff my husband’s sisters didn’t agree with when he was over at their house one summer (my sister in laws all live with their mother)
They called me fussing and I solved the issue. Told my son to wear headphones. Simple compromise. No one else has to hear it but he can still enjoy his shows. Some parents aren’t as strict and don’t censor as much as others. I’m one who doesn’t. As long as it doesn’t cross the line then my kids know they can watch whatever they choose within reason. Cursing is a part of life. They’re going to hear curse words if they leave their home. Sheltering them won’t change that reality :woman_shrugging:. Teach a child what’s appropriate to say and trust they will use good judgment. If not they’ll face the consequences. If it’s her own personal device she can wear headphones and then it won’t be affecting you or your kids while she is there…

4 Likes

All I have to say is if I’m watching any kid, like my nieces for instance I treat them like they’re my own! If there’s something I wouldn’t let my daughter watch then the same thing goes for them if they’re in my care period

Since they’re in your home and your children are around, yes. Your niece will learn the rules of your house and that they are different than her house.

Your house, your rules…

Shannon Smith people still think YouTube can be parent controlled apparently :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Absolutely. Your house, your rules.

Your house your rules