Do I have to choose between my daughter and my husband?

My husband and I have known each other for nearly 20 years, since middle school. We have been together about 5 and married only 6 months. I have two teenagers from my last marriage and we have an almost 4 year old together and I'm about 6 months pregnant.

My oldest child, 14, is currently is 5 days of therapy services. (With multiple crisis stays this year) diagnosis vary and she is on meds.
He nearly called off our wedding because it was so tough with her, then we got more services involved and it is going a little better, not much! She is supposed to return to in- person schooling, which will help a lot but, she is extremely difficult in every front.

Today, after a few bad days, he has said he can’t handle the stress, overwhelmed feelings and anxiety he has with our children (specifically her).

He doesn’t know if he wants to stay married or can function as a family anymore…

What can I do? We are already in family therapy and having people everyday with some kind of therapy/help.
(Placement for her is not available at this time though it has been discussed frequently)
I feel like I have to choose between my daughter and husband…
Any advice? Ideas?

367 Likes

Take this how you want!!! From experience here, you better choose your daughter. I promise you she will hate you for life if you don’t. Trust me when I say I know the feeling. Placement only makes it worse cause she will feel let down. I was that child. My parents did this to me & I can promise you won’t like the future with her.

Take this how you want, you asked. Coming from someone who use to care for my ex’s kids. There should be no choice whatsoever. If you have to question it, you should reconsider being a parent. She is his step daughter. He knew he would be a father figure in her life. He should treat her as his own… If he can’t step up and be a parent like he knew would happen than you need to kick him to the curb. NEVER choose a man over your kids. Use your brain… If he is saying all that and making it like you have to choose it’s a sign of a narcissist

1 Like

Please don’t listen to all the mean comments!
All of you saying, no question. Which child? She’s about to have 3 others as well and they matter too! I’ve seen children with severe schizophrenia destroy an entire family! Not just a marriage! Unless you know EXACTLY what this family is going through, you should not judge her or her husband! I can GUARANTEE this child’s severe issues are disrupting and taking away from the entire family. She is here for help/advise! Not rude a$& judgment! Not only that, if your daughter is dangerous, your husband can and should take his kids with him. I know this has to be hard but do what is best for EVERYONE in your family! My good friends mom choose her sister over the entire family! Not just her husband! Now she is living in her own hell with her abusive, now adult daughter! She can’t even take her grandchildren because it isn’t safe for them! Her entire house is destroyed by her daughter and it is so sad! People act like these are such easy decisions and you don’t have an entire family to think about.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Do I have to choose between my daughter and my husband? - Mamas Uncut

Lol you should talk to my mum you just bought me back 23yrs :joy::woozy_face:

1 Like

Choose between your child and husband :grimacing: really? Your child comes first imagine if it was one of his he would have to deal with it.

12 Likes

Choose your daughter! Yes she might be difficult but would he be saying this if it was his bio child?

8 Likes

Always choose your children !!!

3 Likes

You choose your children always.

2 Likes

No matter what the kids always come first. He got into the marriage knowing the difficulties. If he now says he can’t do it. Shame on him

3 Likes

Your children should always be first no matter what!

4 Likes

In my personal opinion she obviously has some issues she needs help working through and I am not being mean but it seems like she is treated as more of a burden than a child that needs help. I went through similar things with my “mother” and at the end of the day, your child will always be there - your partner may not…

Always choose your child so when they grow up they don’t choose everyone else above themself . She needs her mama, and a lot of her “issues” probably stems from not feeling like she matters

17 Likes

Sorry Children come first Before a husband Or anyone. Its Pretty sad u have to ask Who to Choose in my opinion

2 Likes

Children always come first

2 Likes

That shouldn’t even be a question you’re pondering. You have no choice but to choose your daughter! Period, end of discussion. If he can’t handle everything then he has the right to move on, but you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have to choose your CHILDREN!!!

7 Likes

i would hope if it actually comes down to having to “choose” between your husband and the child YOU BIRTHED…… you wouldn’t be dickwhipped enough to choose him. i really hope so. :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

12 Likes

This shouldn’t even be a question

5 Likes

Not even a question in my mind, my daughter.

4 Likes

You choose your child

as a parent you are the one person they are supposed to be able to count on to be in their corner always so you choose your child

3 Likes

Choose your child. No questions.

3 Likes

You and the children are a package deal. He can’t have his cake and eat it too.smh

7 Likes

Your child needs you more than your husband and your husband should never come before your daughter. Especially if she’s getting the help she needs. Just because he finds it tough doesn’t give him the right to make you feel like that. What would he say if you said you’ve had enough and wanted to move out? That would be another story then x

5 Likes

Yikes. The fact this is even a question.

6 Likes

Choose your child. That man might divorce you a few years later down the line, you will still have your daughter.

4 Likes

Your child, always. Maybe look into what would work best for her, not for anyone else. If that includes a stay someone so she can get the help she needs so be it. Granted when I was institutionalized it only made me angrier but for some people it works.

Children always come first till they become adults themselves

2 Likes

If. U choose ur. Man. Over ur. Kids or to. Even ask this. Question. Your no type. Of mother!
CHILDREN. FIRST

13 Likes

As a parent you choose your daughter.

2 Likes

1st priority is your daughter

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure her having a mom who doesn’t automatically put her first and a step dad who is struggling with her is most likely not helping her mental health… she needs you and should be able to rely on you over everything and anyone else. She should come first. And sounds like he’s looking for an excuse. He shouldn’t have signed up for it if he couldn’t handle it. And I’m sure she feels every bit of the tension and feels “unwanted” .

18 Likes

Always choose the kids first… always!.. your daughter needs you badly!

2 Likes

I’d help him pack his bags, I’ll always have my kids backs no matter what! Sounds like he’s over the family life as it is and this is his out.

7 Likes

I mean he’s know her all this time and the issues so I believe he needs support and help to cope obviously it isn’t easy for anybody! Honestly if it’s that bad keep looking at placements where you can be involved. How’s the other teen doing? How about the 4 year old and new baby on the way.

3 Likes

The help for HER and you all must continue, if he wants to give up let him be. But help should continue from all accepts for your kids or any kid. If he leaves & she gets better, then there must be something he& she need to work on. If you want to continue with the marriage.

Let his ass leave🙄! Thats your child. TF is wrong with you??

How are you planning to carry out this choice? Just abandon your child to the state? What is his idea of what you’re supposed to do with her anyway?

2 Likes

Girl, dump his ass. This shouldn’t even be a question. You made that child. You’re supposed to choose that child over everything. And please, for the love of everything, don’t let this baby find out this is even a thing. She may be difficult to deal with, but she’s still a child. YOUR CHILD. It doesn’t matter if you have other children by him, she needs you, he will be just fine by his damn self.

how is this even a question? she CLEARLY needs you.

3 Likes

Children always, I repeat ALWAYS should come first. Shouldn’t even be a question especially since she isn’t his biological daughter. That makes it even worse the way he is being. He doesn’t need you to function, your daughter does.

I really hope this isn’t an actual question as to who you will choose and simply a rant… I really do.

4 Likes

Well if he already can’t take it and wants out he didn’t really love you… just saying… choose your child !

4 Likes

You chose your kid. Always

2 Likes

You choose your kids first in ANY and EVERY situation!!! How tf is this even a question!!!

7 Likes

I would choose my daughter over a man any day. My kids always came first.

2 Likes

I quit reading… I will always choose my kid over anyone on the face of the earth.

7 Likes

Family is forever. With all due respect, your husband is a betxh…. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Girl what?! How is this even a question? That is your CHILD!! Do better.

9 Likes

It sounds like she really needs you right now. And if he can’t handle being a parent during the difficult times then perhaps it’s best to let him go. I understand it’s not easy. You love him. But your daughter didn’t ask for this, and she is your responsibility. Sending good vibes your way. Hoping you find your way through this :black_heart:

9 Likes

Sounds like he is giving you an ultimatum.
Him or your daughter.

If that is indeed what he is saying, then just move on.

It will be tough at first but eventually you’ll get into a good groove.

Get a lawyer involved (divorce and family) and get everything sorted out.
Go for child support (for the kids you have with him) and (if it applies) Alimony.

Make sure everything is agreed upon before signing anything.

Who gets what in the divorce, custody arrangements etc.

If you do decide you want to stay and try and work things out, put everything on the table (work schedule, school schedule, therapy, extra curricular sea etc) and try to come up with a plan/schedule.

And if able, take 1 night a month (to start with) for a date night and get back into the husband/wife relationship.

He could be stressed and doesn’t know how to handle everything that is going on.
Maybe get him to try 1 on 1 therapy (so just him and the therapist).

Marriage counselling is also another idea/way to talk about everything as the therapist is (or at least should be) impartial and would be able to help.

2 Likes

…you can’t be serious. Your wanting opinions about a CHILD you brought into this world and whether to choose her or someone your now with regardless how long you’ve known each other…I’m sorry but that’s fucked up. Who the fuck asks this?? Your kid comes first. If you don’t choose her you don’t deserve any of the other Children you have.

1 Like

As a true parent your babies no matter the age will always and should always be #1 any man can come and go, them babies are attached at the heart‼

1 Like

He’s incredibly selfish and self serving. Marriages are hard. Kids are hard. Through sickness and in health. Through good times and bad. Sounds like he only cares about himself. He should 100% be your emotional support, and he should 100% be her support.

Do yourself a favor and drop him like a bad habit. He doesn’t deserve you. Move on. The right man will never be swayed because somebody has mental health issues.

5 Likes

My empathy is with your daughter. Not with you or him

3 Likes

I’m not sure why this is even a question. Children come first each and every time.

8 Likes

I didn’t even read all of this , no one will EVER come before my child. Don’t abandon your child for ANYONE !!!

8 Likes

Maybe there is a couple different approaches. Maybe a temp split I. How the house is divided. Him his kids and you yours. Maybe try a different approach to therapy too.

1 Like

I can’t believe this is a question. If he is questioning your marriage because of your children and you don’t know who to choose maybe you need more therapy than you thought.

3 Likes

When you kids they become priority you can always get remarried but children are forever :woman_shrugging: I have two boys 10 and 2 oldest from a previous relationship and 2yr with ny current been with the man 8 years on the 15th and I’ve made it be known that he treats bith boys with the same respect or im :running_woman: because of. His blood and one is a step child to him yet you wouldn’t know he treats the boys like his own blood when his the bio dad to 1. Real men step up menchildren do not

1 Like

No man before any child!!!

Maybe he’s the problem
Any abuse??? Kick his butt to the curb and find out what’s going on with your child

Is this a serious question!? Why on God’s green earth would you choose a man over your 14 year old.

3 Likes

Do you know the crap it would cause if you chose your husband and had her shipped off somewhere? You think she has problems now, just wait. You always choose your kids.

2 Likes

I’m sorry I have to say that at some point you have to put your spouse first. But your child is now his child so you should be on the same team here… apparently that’s not the case so bye bye husband

2 Likes

Girl whaaaat ?! You always pick your kids over everything ! What kind of question is that ?

2 Likes

Always choose your children… shouldn’t even be a question.

1 Like

Y’all don’t deserve kids

1 Like

WOW… :disappointed: your child should always come first. ALWAYS. You are being selfish!!!

Your child comes first ALWAYS and forever!

1 Like

Through better or worse… the vows say it all. What ever maybe be stressing or overwhelming he should be by your side trying to help. But other then that your babies should come first.

1 Like

Children ALWAYS come FIRST!!!

1 Like

No choice kick his a$$ to the curb if he can’t handle real life

He’s not giving much of a choice really.

Leave him he should be helping you and maybe it wouldn’t be so damn overwhelming some men are just DUMB :woman_facepalming:

You’re joking, yeah?

1 Like

Well you need to think of all your kids not just her. Why should your two littles be without a father because of your oldest. She needs extreme interventions , can she stay with her father temporarily to get intensive help

2 Likes

Always always always choose your kids. Someone that truly loved you would never ask you to choose.

1 Like

If he cant handle being a parent he shouldn’t be one. All children go through bad times and she’s a teenager with added troubles…children come first. Either he copes and loves her as his own…or he goes

4 Likes

So I’m gonna get alot of shit for this but… it sounds like you have a lot on your plate honestly. Do what you feel is best, but do it for the right reason… NOT because of your husband BUT because it’s too much to handle. Sometimes kids can be overwhelming and that’s okay. Do it because YOU personally can’t handle your child. It sucks and it’s gonna hurt a lot but doing what is best for your child is gonna help in the long run. Whether that be leave your husband or whether that be leaving your child in someone’s care who specializes in helping these kind of children.

And to the people who are about to be all butt hurt don’t even come at with all your ridiculous comments… yes, I have a daughter myself.

Life is hard sometimes and sometimes being a GOOD parent is choosing the better decision for your child whether that be in foster care or with you. She could have been one of the selfish parents not admitting she needs help and she’s suffering but instead she’s reaching out, give her some slack.

He knew this before you got married. You knew how he was before you got pregnant again. Your children always come first. When l started dating by now husband ( married 31 years) my son was 9 and he knew it was a package deal and has been a better father than the real father.

2 Likes

Your children always come first. If he can’t handle it then sorry to him but bye dude.

2 Likes

This shouldn’t even be a question… your child comes first PERIOD… end of discussion

3 Likes

Why would that even be a question? Your kids always come first!

2 Likes

In the reality of it your kid is 14 and your husband is a grown man. What choice do.you have??

1 Like

Your child is in dire need of her mom right now. Don’t abandon her in her darkest time by choosing a relationship over her needs.

5 Likes

Children first always

2 Likes

Your child comes first and put your foot down if he truly cared for you or that child it wouldn’t even be a problem he would support and help make it through these hard times you don’t throw a child away when it gets hard you love them more
Maybe that’s her problem she needs mom to pick her

Maybe she’s “acting out” because she sees what a tool your husband is maybe? Honestly it’s hard, you’re being pulled both ways but sis, he’s already unhappy and looking for any excuse at this point. What grown ass man uses a child as an excuse to state they are unhappy. :triangular_flag_on_post: run sis. He’s made it very known. Take your babies and go!

Is this behavioral or true mental health issues. I only ask because the behaviors with time and effort on her part and your part as parents can change over time but if it’s mental health, this could be an ongoing issue forever if she isn’t willing to receive and keep up with the help. I’m not saying choose either. I’m just saying that you have to understand that everyone is probably stressed and if he chooses to leave, then he can’t handle it and it’s his decision to leave.

3 Likes

Ok so the Bible says we should cling to our husbands but that was also written in a different time we no longer have fathers for our children and we live in a time where it takes both parents working
Who’s there for the kids?

In my situation you should always pick your children men may come and go but your kids will always be your kids …….

1 Like

How is this even a question??? Your kids always come first! Dont like it bye tfffff

3 Likes

If he wants to leave when things get tough that’s his decision but your daughters your daughter always have her back!!

1 Like

Why tf is this a damn question? If you really are questioning this then you don’t deserve to have kids. KIDS ALWAYS COME FIRST!

If your husband isn’t willing to stick around and support you & your family through the hard times is he really somebody you want to be involved with?
If you shut your daughter out now then you will regret it for the rest of your life. Your relationship with her will never be the same. If he wants to walk away let him you focus on you and your kids because they need you more than you need him

2 Likes

Did you seriously just asked this ? I have no words !! Well I do but trust me you don’t want to hear them .

3 Likes

Your children always come before a man!!!

2 Likes

I don’t care about the hubby but what about the safety and well being of your other children? Is she affecting their stability and mental health? Is she putting them in harms way? Those are my concerns. I have 2 bonus daughters from my ex husband. The 6 year old lives with me and the 10 year old lives w her mom. Why? Because they can’t properly care for the 6 year old cause the 10 year old harms her and she isn’t taken care of. I have concerns about the 10 year old and her stability but I chose keeping my own 3 kids safe as well as the 6 year old safe (even tho I’m no longer w her dad…) over the 10 year old. Do I love her? Yes. But the other 4 deserve SAFE and loving environments too.

2 Likes

Kids come first. No exception! They didnt ask to be born. You made them. These difficulties are what a family goes thru and if he wants to bounce cause he cant do his part as a family or a man to help your daughter then deuces. My boyfriend… once he dated me he signed up to deal with what we gotta he became a part of my team and my 3 yr old has hard behaviors but he dont give up and the kid ain’t even his. Get u a man like that.

2 Likes

What wait your asking who what,your daughter is your responsibility she didn’t ask to brought in the world she trouble and receiving help, and your husband said what, bye Feliciah

It shouldn’t even be a question. If he can’t handle her, he doesn’t deserve you. My children ALWAYS come first

1 Like

So question how long has your daughter had these behaviors? Seems like it wasn’t going on when you go together or he wouldn’t have stuck around in the first place as a child who been in this situation and mother who was more worried about her boyfriend feeling and getting attention from him then her children I know 99.9 percent of the time the mom and the new guy not man in the house are the issue :ok_hand:t2:some times very slim the child really does have issue but it’s normally the environment they are in instead of putting this all of therapy ect it starts at home … that’s no always a choice but if she not mentally handicap or has serious diagnosed mental Illness it’s probably her home life children who act out need their parents more I’ve worked in a brain unit for years a know for a fact people who are seriously mentally ill are still capable have have normal days they have triggers if her behavior is irrational only in your home their is an issue in your home if she can go to therapy with no issue then their is an issue in your home

I left a 10 yr relationship over this very same situation. My kids are much BETTER too! Don’t get me wrong it hurt and still does but I chose my kids and don’t even feel bad about that. A real grown ass adult will never make you chose. Ever! And if they do, chose your kid. Every. Single. Time.

1 Like