Do I tell my husband my daughter wants to get on birth control?

How much longer until she turns 18? If she waits until then, it will be her decision, and her father will not need to know or have an opinion about it.

1 Like

Give her trust tell her she can go on it but still need to use a condom xx

1 Like

I probably wouldnā€™t tell dad if she doesnā€™t want you to. This is her private business and Iā€™d be so grateful that she was being so sensible by waiting this long and turning to you for guidance. Dad doesnā€™t need to know.

3 Likes

Sheā€™s 17. She doesnā€™t really need his permission. She came to you from a place of trust.

3 Likes

I would explain your concerns with her about why you think he should know. That being said she did ask you not to and I hope my daughter will tell me when sheā€™s old enough as well

I would definitely keep it between you but also let her know own you donā€™t want it to be a secret. Itā€™s not taboo and she should be proud sheā€™s being cautious. I would definitely try to see if and when sheā€™d be comfortable with dad knowing. I mean sheā€™s 17 so itā€™s not like thereā€™s much time for him to ā€œforbid itā€ offer to talk to him for her. As long as sheā€™s confiding in an adult thatā€™s really all you can ask for as a parent. I donā€™t think he necessarily needs to know unless he asks.

No donā€™t break her trust what an amazing young woman youā€™ve raised that sheā€™s being responsible and a credit to you that she came to you

1 Like

She works be gutted if you told him, she came to you for advice and she trusts you not many parents can say that. Xx

1 Like

If u do tell him she may never trust u again

3 Likes

Keep it between you and your
Daughter
Otherwise she may feel that her trust has been broken
Hubby doesnā€™t need to know
That she is on birth control
Or she is thinking about sleeping with her boyfriend
That in itself shows maturity
Take her to your GP and he or she
Can go through the options of birth control
To determine whatā€™s best for her

2 Likes

Sheā€™s old enough sheā€™s past legal age. Keep it confidential for now. Itā€™s good she came to you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He should know. ā€¦ how about If it was the other way around?? You would want to know Iā€™m sure.

2 Likes

Sheā€™s almost legally an adult. She is doing the right thing, exactly as you asked her to, now itā€™s time for you to do the same. Personally I wouldnā€™t be telling her fatherā€¦

7 Likes

Take her to the doctors and help her get what she needs."I take my hat off to your daughter for being responsible and asking youā€¦i would think if you told the dad it would break that trust "anyway in another year she be 18ā€¦does the boyfriend stay over at yours?

1 Like

Why birth control? It does horrible things to the body; more harm than good

2 Likes

Why would you tell her dad? Did she give you permission to tell her dad? Did she ask you to tell her dad? She didnā€™t have to go to you. Why would you betray her trust? Unless she gives her permission, please donā€™t feel like it is your right to tell ANYONE ELSE.

1 Like

Respect her wishes. Get her birth control :two_hearts:

Her body, her choice, her decision to let someone know what medication she is on. Do not break her trust. Just because he may or may not want to know- doesnā€™t give you the right to tell him.

She has been super responsible and honest and has come to you for your support whilst trusting you implicitly. Yes keep it quiet and she will let him know if and when she is ready. Donā€™t put conditions on her trust.

1 Like

He doesnā€™t really need to know. And better she be on the pill than pregnant at 17. Helping her out will help her be responsible with sex and itā€™ll build trust between the two of you.

First off, thatā€™s amazing that she came to you with this situation! If she asked to keep it between you and her I would respect her wishes completelyā€¦ when sheā€™s ready Iā€™m sure she will talk to her father but in the meantime, support her wishes and let her know how thankful you are for her being so honest and open. She obviously trusts you which is wonderful! A mother and daughter bond should be full of trust and honesty. Your husband should be very understanding once he does find out that you knewā€¦ if heā€™s not, bring it to light that sheā€™s almost a legal adult and remind him to be proud that sheā€™s being careful/protecting herselfā€¦in the end that is what matters most!

8 Likes

I just be proud she told you and not done anything unsafe sounds like you have raised her well! Be their for her and help her be safe if that what her wish is, she sounds very sensible and mature. And 17 is pretty much a young adult

Get her birth control.Thatā€™s amazing that she came to you! You guys have a great relationship! Tbh as a teen I wouldnā€™t my dad to know either. Iā€™d get her the birth control

5 Likes

Some things are scared between Mom and Daughter. This is one of them.

I think she sounds like a very sensible young woman and for now you should honour what sheā€™s asked and keep it between yourselves.

3 Likes

Firstly welldone on the relationship you have with your daughter x

1 Like

Encourage her to talk to him with you but let it be her choice. I would think her father would be glad she is thinking abt this in tbe right order .

1 Like

I think your daughter is being very grown up about the situation and talking to you let her talk to her father donā€™t go behind her back then when she as talked to him you and him have a talk she is 17 and I think she is being very responsible you ought to be glad she as chosen to talk to you xx

3 Likes

If your daughter wants him to know thatā€™s fine but sheā€™s old enough to get it herself so get her some thatā€™s awesome she came to you

Donā€™t tell her dad, but Iā€™d personally suggest to her to be open with her dad if theyā€™re close. My husband would be devastated if our girls werenā€™t trusting of him but Iā€™d never break my daughters trust either.

She is welcome to do what she wants. But Iā€™d probably just explain to her that her dad would be knowing just so he is aware that she should/could be taking the pill everyday. Also just so he is aware of the hormone imbalance that can happen when we start or during birth control.

Keep it between you and her. She may not come back to you next time

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t keep it from him, but maybe tell him on private and ask him not to loose his mind over it. She is 17 not 7.

1 Like

She trusted you. You trust her now. Get her the birth control and keep her confidence

4 Likes

I think this is great she has openly come to you and is being sensible xx Iā€™d also tell dad and explain you have told him in confidence he should be proud of her too xx

1 Like

Keep it between you and your daughter, thereā€™s no need for your hubby to know about his 17 year old daughter and when sheā€™s ready. I believe that this should always just be between the daughter and mother. You told her she could come to you and you would never judge her, so she did. And if you donā€™t take her now while sheā€™s asked you to, to prevent a pregnancy, you may just be finding out sooner than later that youā€™re going to be a nana and Iā€™m sure youā€™re hubby would be more upset if he found out heā€™s going to be a grandfather when you were asked by your daughter to take her for an appt with a Dr.
I hope this doesnā€™t sound nasty, Iā€™m not meaning to. I wish you all the best with this situation.
Well done to your daughter for trusting in you with this and well done to you for giving her a reason to trust in you.

3 Likes

Sheā€™s 17 I personally think it should be her choice on who she feels comfortable with having access to that type of personal information and I think it would break her trust if you was to go behind her back and tell him etc let her tell people in her own time and just go over information with her to make sure sheā€™s being safe ete

1 Like

Why would he need to know?
Sheā€™s 17 and can legally get it on her own without even telling you so just cherish the bond you have with her without violating her trust

10 Likes

You should tell him Iā€™d want to know if my daughter was in the same position

1 Like

Itā€™s not his business. Why would he even want to know? Thatā€™s not something a daughter tells her dad.

7 Likes

couples should not keep secrets

5 Likes

No, itā€™s a womanā€™s issue, he has no say so I wouldnā€™t bother.

1 Like

The Fathersā€™ Rights Movement

1 Like

at 17 - i wouldve been highly pissed at my mom for telling my dad im on birth control - especially after having my mom tell me to ā€œcome to meā€
im 17 -
if he ever asks, tell hjm. if he doesnt ask. then why tell him ā€¦ thats a mom daughter kinda thing

12 Likes

You and your husband are a team by not telling him youā€™re breaking his trust. He will be mad if he finds out on his own. Explain to him in private about the situation (maybe not about her being intimate tho) so he is aware of what will be happening

2 Likes

As parents I donā€™t think we are ever ready. Personally I couldnā€™t break my daughters trust when she came to me. She didnā€™t want anyone to know & I respected that. If she loses her trust with you she wonā€™t feel comfortable coming to you again.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a girl thing when she ready to tell her father she will. She told you evidently she trust you and to keep it real if my daughter was mature enough to come to me I will abide by her wishesā€¦ I mean how many will do that. That just shows you are good parent that she came to you and trusts you with her decisionā€¦

4 Likes

It has to,be her decision she is old enough to do it doesnā€™t need permission

I believe she should be able to tell her dad after a month I become sexually actively I told my mom and my mom goes you need to tell your dad not to belittle me or anything but for my safety for future reasons etc and thatā€™s when mom goes I believe itā€™s best if we get you in birth control. But Iā€™ve always been comfortable enough to talk to my parents mom first haha scared telling my dad but it also made me feel better on the inside knowing if anything was to happen to me my dad and mom will be there for me

1 Like

You respect whatever her wishes were. She came to you and trusted you for a reason. Donā€™t break that

6 Likes

So yall just keep secrets from your spouse? :grimacing:

8 Likes

Keep it between you two. Sheā€™s 17 and dad isnā€™t dumb to what teenagers do. Iā€™m glad she came to you over this and wants to be safe and smart.

4 Likes

Itā€™s not your place to tell him :woman_shrugging:t3:
If she doesnā€™t want him to know then respect her wishes. Donā€™t break her trust.

5 Likes

Does he really need to know? Legally shes old enough to get it without anyoneā€™s permission , so just be really glad she confided in you and respect her wishes.

4 Likes

I thought you said youā€™ll never judge her ?? And that she can come to you , not you and her dad ā€¦ Respect her , she deserves it ā€¦ She could easily still be active and not on birth control ā€¦

Also , what did you want her to wait for ?? Marriage ? 5years ? 18 ???

2 Likes

keep between u and her as by time dad founds out be 18 and lest she knows will go to u throu thick and thing of any issues

By court standards sheā€™s old enough to decide what she wants, and she deserves privacy

2 Likes

Keep it between you and her. Donā€™t break the trust you have worked so hard to build!

Plus she is 17 and she has been with this guy for 3 years likeā€¦

2 Likes

Donā€™t tell him. And I say that coz if you do, you break the conversation bridge you have with your daughter.

Instead, sit her down and talk to your daughter and explain to her that you cannot keep these things from your husband, you two also have to keep the trust between you both intact, this could very well hurt your relationship with hubby if you keep it from him and he finds out and let your daughter know how proud and happy that she came too you firstā€¦

Just do it, tell him after, saying that better safe than sorry, great that she was sensible and talked to you first.

1 Like

Shes going to so it any way, whether you take her to get pills or not. I would definitely take her to get pills and dad should know too.

2 Likes

No thatā€™s your mother daughter bond!! Donā€™t tell him! She will when she is ready!

2 Likes

Honestly is the best policy, u shud tell your hubby

2 Likes

Be honest with him . He canā€™t be a complete idiot and think that teens are gonna be abstinent . Itā€™s what we hope for as parents but we also know that when we were that age that we jumped at any and every opportunity

She sounds like a clever young woman. I think you should trust her decision not to talk with dad, seen as though she has brought up birth control and indeed the whole thing with you, instead of just doing it without a word said and not taking precautions. I think it should be up to her to share this with whom she feels most comfortable, and that is yourself. She might not want dad knowing purely because heā€™s her dad and it might make her feel uncomfortable due to the nature. Maybe ask her if she would feel comfortable telling dad too. If not, then respect her decision. :relaxed:

1 Like

I think its a display of responsibility and her trust in you that she came to you to discuss this. Legally she can go to a gp and get on birth control at 14 without your knowledge or consent.
I think that you know your husband better than anyone on here, can you pull him aside, tell him she is of an age and place in her relationship where she should start taking birth control. Tell him you are not giving her the green light, but want to make sure sheā€™s safe if she goes down that road. That way you arenā€™t really breaking her trust, but you are still keeping him in the loop.
Also if they have been together 3yrs at their age it shows serious commitment.

You do as she wishes or you deal with her being 17yo and pregnantā€¦which would you prefer ?
At 17 sheā€™s old enough to go to the Dr herself so sheā€™s only looking for your support at the surgery not your permission

Put her on bc and donā€™t break her trust

1 Like

Take her. She with or without your help. All you have to do is get her a dr appt and she can ask for a prescrption.

Wtf? It isnā€™t your place to discuss her personal medical choices with anyone.

1 Like

She has obviously given great thought to this and deserves to have your help! Not a great believer in keeping secrets from her Dad but she may not follow through until sheā€™s 18 and itā€™s her secret to tell if she so wishes.

He doesnā€™t need to know and if you donā€™t take her she can actually take herself. Sheā€™s old enough.

As she is 17 and entitled to her very own Medicare card and therefore to see her GP without her parents, yes help educate her take her to a female GP or gyno and they will go over her health history. Tell her it doesnā€™t prevent her catching STDs and things like antibiotics or vomiting/ runs can dilute oral birth control or forgetting to take them, so a back up method i.e. condoms etc is best. Wouldnā€™t you rather her come to YOU than ask her mates or come home pregnant?

2 Likes

Well hopefully your told her that she needs to use more then just birth control :persevere::warning: shit does not work half the time second you definitely need to tell him but you donā€™t have to tell him everything your daughter Intrusted you with :no_good_woman:t3: honestly he is your partner I would just say hey daughter ā€¦ā€¦. Is about blank I talked to doctors office and they think itā€™s time to start birth control as a caughtion ect ps get the ā€œ HPV vaccineā€ :warning::no_entry:!!!

It has been so exciting since I started investing with Mrs Lisa Jennifer the best in terms of trading . Because what other managers canā€™t do, she does it better and she always keep to her words. At first when I wanted to invest with her I was so afraid, but I never knew I was close to my success.God Bless you Mrs Lisa Jennifer for being a blessing to me. Contact her with her profileā€¦via link
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

I wouldnā€™t tell her dads donā€™t really want to know things like that anyway sheā€™s 17 and trusted you with something most girls wouldnā€™t think of telling their mums, I think sheā€™s a responsible young lady and you should be super proud

Oh gosh mumma, put her on the pillā€¦ā€¦
Sheā€™s gonna do it anyway :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Honesty between a husband is always the best policy
to follow

1 Like

You sound like a great Mum. If you think your Hubbyā€™s going to spin out keep it to yourself or do it anyway. Her body. Her choice and sheā€™s 17. Maybe keep it between the 2 of you.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t she old enough to get it on her own, maybe your state is different.

Some things are better kept private

As her mum Iā€™d let her get birth control atleast sheā€™s being safe about it all. Itā€™s always abit daunting with dad knowing about that stuff

1 Like

Shes 17 nearly an adult, Iā€™d say not to break her trust now if she has asked YOU not to tell, why donā€™t you in the process of taking her for her birth control explain to her in the future her dad might be able to help her out in anyway she needs by known the truth just explain to her you think itā€™s best if SHE told her dad about it her wanting to be intimate/is intimate. Itā€™ll make her feel better in the long run by not with holding the info from her dad.

5 Likes

Sheā€™s 17. Her dad doesnā€™t need to know Crap. It could make him super nasty ā€¦ You know the saying daddyā€™s little girl!!! Well he could and quiet possibly will h*rt. The boyfriend. Not saying he will but thereā€™s always the possibilityā€¦
Itā€™s youā€™re daughters body. Her rules.
Sheā€™s waited long enough.
She Has done the right thing coming to you. Donā€™t wreck the trust youā€™ve built with youā€™re sweet girl

Youā€™re a good mum and some thingsā€¦ I mean alot of things are best kept quiet.
Itā€™s not a breach of trust. To youā€™re husband. Sheā€™s 17ā€¦ Not 15ā€¦
Thereā€™s a huge difference.
Iā€™d be zipping her down to the doctorā€™s. Because she doesnā€™t need the risk of falling pregnant. So young.
( Nothing wrong with that )
Just sounds like she wants to be a smart woman.
3yrs is long enough. To wait sheā€™s done super well not to give in to peer pressure.
You have tort her so well

6 Likes

So many peeps here havenā€™t read this post properly. The daughter has been honest and now wants birth control, so this is what will happen I believe. The question is should mum tell dad too? I think you go with daughters wishes on these matters. Maybe suggest she also confides in dad but I wouldnā€™t break trust and do it without her concent as she may not be comfortable with dad knowing. Itā€™s awesome she feels she can talk to mum and indeed has been so grown up about it and knows the importance of taking precautions. Those are the most important things.

3 Likes

Jaysus, some of the misandrist comments. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: He is her father and loves/cares/protects her too, so yes, he should know. Sorry, not sorry for asking this question, but if you have such a strong relationship with your daughter, why is the relationship not the same with her dad? What reasons does she give for not telling him? And, finally, why is she asking you to take her for contraception when she can get birth control with professional advice from a number of different places, GP Health centre etc? If I was her father I would be livid if I was kept in the dark about such important matters!

4 Likes

Wow your daughter fully trusts you. Has come to you and asked you, of all people. Go with her, discuss options. Youā€™ve got a daughter with her head screwed on. I got put on bc at 17. As thatā€™s when I got into a serious relationship. Dadā€™s donā€™t want to know all that side. So keep it between you and your daughter xx

11 Likes

My husband and I tell each other everything so yes would tell him. Honesty is the best policy

If I enjoy this privilege all alone it shows how ungrateful Iā€™m because I got this opportunity from a post here as well and saw recommendations too.All thanks to the good work of Mrs Lisa Jennifer i
Follow this Name to message her on facebook.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

Keep it to yourself. If she confided in you and then you tell him she will never trust you again. Follow thru with what you said and help her. Sheā€™s gonna do it no matter what. At least this way sheā€™s protected.

2 Likes

This depends on family dynamics. I would ask her if we could tell him together. If dad is a good day I would tell him but I would also tell him that he is not to try and talk her out of it etc.
If u donā€™t think u can tell him without it being an issue then donā€™t.

2 Likes

At least she is being sensible and taking care of herself . I wouldnā€™t tell him it might stop her from confiding in you again

2 Likes

I hope Iā€™m as good a mom as you are when my kids are teenagersā€¦ you shouldnā€™t tell her dad, it sounds like she is extremely mature for waiting until 17 and being in a relationship for 3 years AND coming to you firstā€¦ in one more year she is an adult, her dad doesnā€™t need to know, dads canā€™t handle the thought of their little girls doing that stuff, but you should absolutely get her the birth control so that she is safe and doesnā€™t end up pregnant until she is ready, hopefully YEARS from now. Good Job mama :heart::heart:

11 Likes

Donā€™t tell him or youā€™ll lose her trust

1 Like

In the UK sheā€™s legally old enough to do what she wants in that respect and in the US sheā€™s only weeks or months away from the same, I wouldnā€™t bother telling her dad

2 Likes

Nah, keep it a secret till youā€™re all surprised. (the answers yes, I dunno how you donā€™t know this already)

Yea if u tell dad you may loose her and she will never trust u again. She will hate you. You 2 have a good relationship. Donā€™t loose it.

3 Likes

What her dad doesnā€™t know wonā€™t hurt. She told you because she trusts you. Donā€™t break that trust. I feel like Iā€™m having dejavu with this status. Because I went through the same.

2 Likes

Just be happy that she is a wise and thougtful girl to tell you and ask her if she wants her father to know that she is grown up and ready to be an adult in her own right! Bless you all!:heart:.

3 Likes

If you tell her dad you will lose all trust she has in you and the fact she came to you and talked with you about it shows how much she trusts you.
Youā€™re not the one that chooses when sheā€™s ready she is, donā€™t fuck up your relationship now.

1 Like