Do kids need to go to preschool?

How many moms did not put their babies in preschool? I have an amazing daycare that both my girls go to, their teach said that in my state, MI, preschool and kindergarten is not required. I will do kindergarten but thinking about skipping preschool… advice from moms who have skipped it too?
My oldest daughter is three and a half, very bright for her age and gets plenty of kid interaction at daycare :blush:
Thank you !!

18 Likes

I didn’t do preschool with my oldest we just did ABC Mouse…but we did a private preschool with my second. I honestly think it depends on the child. I think it’s good to send children preschool so they can get use to having a set schedule and getting into a routine. So when they go to kindergarten they know what to expect.

1 Like

Two of my children skipped… one did great throughout school, and the other has struggled ever since. I think it depends on the child.

1 Like

I have 3 kids and none of them went to preschool and they’re doing great in elementary school now. I’d say do what you want. :grinning:

1 Like

I never went to preschool amd neother did my 6 year old who is now in 1st grade and my daugheter who will 5 on the 1st never went to preschool either and starts kimdergarten in sept, they are both very smart and my older one can read above his grade level and is on level for math science and social studies

1 Like

I honestly think preschool is very important before kindergarten. They learn a lot. My preschooler knows all her shapes and colors now and can count to 15. She can also write her name, my name, and her sisters name. I also don’t know about your child but mine has some pretty bad behavior issues and preschool has really really helped. They’ve taught her so much more than school stuff. They taught her to use her big voice and breathing techniques to calm herself down during a melt down.

I didn’t. My oldest was in daycare then when I had my two youngest my mother kept them. They all just went to kindergarten when they started school and did great

1 Like

My daughter hasn’t gone to preschool and is starting kindergarten this year. There weren’t any good preschools in the area so I taught her at home instead.

1 Like

I didn’t put my daughter through preschool and I’m not planning on putting my son in either. My daughter is doing extremely well in school. But the thing is… you need to make sure to teach them everything they need to know for school. Alphabet & sounds, numbers & counting, shapes, and work on fine motor skills as well such as tracing, writing, coloring and using child- safe scissors. Also be sure to have a schedule at home. It’s also a good idea to join a group, or a weekly class, where your little one can get some time socializing, sharing, playing with other little ones on a regular basis.

1 Like

My daughters 15 now and I didn’t put her in preschool and thrives in academic…my son is 18 months I’ll know when he’s a lil older if he needs the extra help that the preschool gives. I shared home with my daughter and had time to work with her… With my son, I’m working full time so it’s a lil harder to give him all the 1 on1 he needs to learn

1 Like

I didn’t send mine to preschool, but we did home preschool and spent time preparing… learning shapes, letters, tying shoes…ect

My 5 year old is in PreK and for her it’s mainly for socialization skills. We did activities and bookwork prior to this year but she lacked being around kids her own age. She learns the required curriculum and gets to learn co-Ed coping skills. If your children are in daycare they should be fine most daycares around us implement some type of learning structure into their day. When are 2 year old gets to closer to 3 she will be going into preschool/ daycare and I will be going back to work.

My little girl had a tough time adjusting to me going back towork. She got so used to me being there 24/7 that me being gone was rough on her. She would want me to hold her alot more afterwards.

For us, in Ohio and Indiana a child would be behind without preschool. Remember, kindergarten is basically what 1st grade used to be. There are more public school preschools showing up to encourage people to use them.

1 Like

My kids won’t be going to preschool. It’s expensive for most centers in our area and parents only qualify for assistance with preschool if their kid has a learning disability.

I skipped preschool with my 4 yr old. Well, he was in it for a couple months but he learned more with me at home. He’s currently at a 1st and 2nd grade level so preschool wasn’t needed for him. I’ll probably get my 2 yr d in once he’s 3. He’s very attached to me since I’m a sahm and needs to stary getting around other kids.

Preschool is in daycare where I live. Its prettymuch the same as far as I know. If shes comfortable where she is, theres no point in switching.

I put my oldest in preschool, I’m in AZ and well kindergarten isn’t what it used to be when I went … so I decided to put my younger boys in 3yr old preschool and 4yr preschool… my sons love it… it’s really your preference in what you want to do. You’re the Momma, and momma always knows best!

Why wouldn’t you want her to go in?

I mean whats more education gunna hurt over babysitting lol

1 Like

As a kindergarten teacher my recommendation would be to contact the school where your child will be attending kindergarten and ask for a list of what they should know before starting. Where I teach, if a child doesn’t come in knowing all letters (upper case and lowercase) the sounds that each letter makes, how to write their first and last name, able to name numbers 0-20 and count to 50) they are already behind. Typically the ones coming from an accredited preschool know all of these things and are very prepared. Our district has a preschool that is very inexpensive ($60 a month, free if the child needs an IEP).

1 Like

I have my youngest in prek and everyone else (3boys) started kindergarden and is in advance school

My kids all loved preschool. It’s nice to have structure and get in the routine, it’s way different than daycare. Plus is kindergarten half or full days? Preschool is helpful

1 Like

If your daycare is teaching a lot, skip it

1 Like

My daughter never went to preschool and has held honor roll every year since kindergarten and she’s in 2nd grade now… some kids could use it as far as behavior goes but you know your child better than anyone… do what feels right to you

1 Like

My oldest did in home daycare until her first day of kindergarten. She is in advanced 6th grade classes now. My younger 2 kids have been home with me during the day. We practice out of kindergarten books and learn things. I feel like they will be just as prepared :person_tipping_hand:

2 Likes

Our kindergartner program will only let your child in if they know all their letter (upper and lower) can write their first and last name. Know all the sounds the letters make, know at least 10 colors and can count to 50 (but recognize 0-20) and know at least 6-8 shapes. If they don’t know these things when being tested (it’s a verbal test except for writing your name) they will not be accepted into kindergarten

1 Like

I homeschool thru kindergarten. It’s very basic stuff.

1 Like

I’m a Michigan mama too! I skipped preschool for my oldest and put her in kindergarten and she ended up doing a second year of kindergarten. My youngest did GSRP, jr. Kindergarten, then kindergarten and she does much better in school. Each child is different though. They do a lot of spelling, math, and simple reading in kindergarten and it’s very beneficial for first grade. If your daycare is learning based and they help prepare the child for elementary, then stay but I highly recommend kindergarten.

1 Like

I taught my God daughter at home from a very early age. We skipped preschool, and I’m so glad we did. I was teaching her more at home than she would have learned at preschool. The only good thing about preschool is the socialization, but that can be provided elsewhere. I took her on playdate and play groups, where I could help intervene in situations where she needed further guidance. If a child was mean to her, i could step in, explain why some kids are mean, and how she should react and respond to the negativity. In preschool, the teachers are often too busy to notice, and even then, they cant guide your children through the social skills like you can. Shes in kindergarten now, and beyond bored with what they’re learning because she already knows everything from being taught at home. That is the only downside. She loves learning, but hates school now because she isnt being challenged enough.

If the day care does great! I had one in preschool two that wasnt. I think my one that had preschool was ready for kindergarten. They need kindergarten though in my opinion. If your child is learning colors, numbers, her ABCs and sounds then leave her there.

I loved my kids preK but if you have a good daycare program where they are taught it can be much the same thing. My kids school had a preK program so by the time they were in Kindergarten they knew everyone at the school and had friends in their classes.

Whatever works for your family

1 Like

My son didn’t go to preschool went straight to kinder and he’s now in 4th grade and the only kid that made all A’s this last 9 weeks in his class

2 Likes

Preschool is not required here in Michigan kindergarten is

Thank you everyone for the great feedback :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My daughter’s b day falls a lil later so she had to wait until 5 to start school, and we were too late getting her in. We always did everything together because I was a stay at home mom. Her Pre-K came from me. All I heard from her kindergarten teacher was how bright she was and her vocabulary was really developed for her age.

Besure. U find good day care my son got a serious injurey while at day carei wish there was home school when they were small

1 Like

I think if your child goes to a pretty good day care of that will teach her then I think you could probably skip pre school one of my kids I skip that and she’s not as good as the rest were that went to preschool

1 Like

My daycare did preschool. So my boys got both. Mind you, im in Canada and its different here. At 3 they are in preschool and at 4 they are in junior kindergarden, then Senior Kindergarden,then grade 1 (and so on). Both kindergarden years are also full day. Preschool gets them ready for school. I loved it, and so did both my boys.

1 Like

I did daycare but my son did preschool cuz he had a speech impairment