Do my parents have a right to claim my daughter?

Im in my early twenties (stay at home mom) i live with my parents at home still on an army base and they want to / claimed my daughter even though i pay rent, our own food, they never babysat her once in her life, etc. is it wrong of them to claim her? They said id get in trouble with the IRS if i didn’t let them claim her… her father does support us, but he’s a British citizen and was working on getting a visa in the process, so I have nowhere to go but live at home until then my other family members told me its very wrong of them to claim her and KEEP ALL of the money. They know I need it for plane tickets, visas, etc. They never bought diapers, wipes, clothes anything. I also cook and clean for them. The most they do is buy her or us a happy meal every now and then. Can I refuse them to claim her, and they won’t be allowed to do it? Will i get in trouble with the IRS if I make sure they don’t claim her?

143 Likes

You have every right to claim your daughter but if they claim her first then you will end up having to fight it with the IRS - save every piece of documentation you have proving you pay rent and buy everything for your daughter

Seek counsel from a lawyer. But if they already claimed her and you push back and take this up with the IRS they will get in trouble for fraud and probably kick you out anyway.

They should absolutely not be claiming her. Thats not their child nor do they have custody. You can let them know that you will claim her and if it comes back you will request an investigation. Don’t cave on this, it sounds like they’re being pushy.

5 Likes

They’d have to claim both of you. Imo

1 Like

As long as you are paying an amount to rent THEY CAN NOT claim your child.

You are her mother and no you will not get in trouble

Yes it’s wrong. Unless they have custody or support her financially then they can’t claim her. When you claim her the irs will decline their claim on her if they try. You will not get in trouble for not letting them claim her because their not legally suppose to.

Get your taxes done before them and claim Her she is your daughter

They have no right to claim your daughter

7 Likes

It’s your right to claim your daughter. They don’t take care of her. Even if she lives in their house. Get your money girl. That’s fucked up

It’s gonna be tricky. Like someone said, you can claim her but if they do too it’ll be audited. Technically you’re living with them so I don’t see it going well for you. It’s whoever the child lives with most out of the year and technically y’all are all living with your mom.

6 Likes

What do u mean claim her an keep the money?

Save records of everything then get taxes first if they throw you out get your own place asp !!!

They can’t claim her without her ssn anyways. So just make sure they don’t get her ssn.

9 Likes

You are an adult. If they claimed her that means they most likely claimed you too. But if you did not give them permission and they do not support her or you then they legally can’t

1 Like

Claim your own daughter. Plain and simple

There is a form you’re supposed to sign to allow them to claim her so that may keep them from being able to. I’d focus your energy on getting out from under them

2 Likes

Also, if you’re a stay at home mom, how are you even paying rent, etc? You can’t even claim children and get money back unless you’ve worked. You don’t get to stay home then get money back after not working. In that case it would only make sense to let them claim them and be thankful you have parents that allow you a life where you don’t have to work your butt off for little pay while trying to parent too

8 Likes

Who ever financially supports her claims her!

My grandparents claimed my son for YEARS. Didn’t bother me because I was living under their roof.

1 Like

No they do not, if i’m correct that is tax fraud and is possible time in prison

3 Likes

You should consult a lawyer. I’m sure your parents are using the svare tactics on you. Sad!!

If they are providing half or more of her support (housing, utilities, medical, expenses, etc.) they are 100% allowed to claim her. You are living in their housing on a military base so depending on what you are paying in rent and if you have a lease or receipts from rent payments and utility bills they may be able to show that they are supporting you and your child.

4 Likes

If your a stay at home mom and have no income, how do you file taxes? Honestly the can claim her and you.

10 Likes

They would have to claim both of you for that to be legal , so they claim they take care of your baby but not you . They can actually get in trouble

Whoever provides 50% care claims any person.

3 Likes

You need to call the IRS if they’ve already did their taxes tell them the situation get your money and make a pin for in the future you’ll have to enter that pin to receive the money.

They cannot legally claim her without you signing a consent form giving them permission to do so. This is your child, not theirs.

1 Like

Yes to what everyone is saying and then tell them that you already claimed her so they can’t . Tell them u talked to a tax person and said that you have to do it not them

Honestly you are living with them, while I do feel what they are doing is completely wrong since you state you are paying rent/supplying for her needs as is her father, I would make sure I have somewhere to live before I died on that hill. If you can’t afford somewhere else on your own, they are technically paying some of her expenses, and if you can, I highly recommend moving out.

5 Likes

Turn them in. That’s tax fraud if they didn’t do anything for her

3 Likes

If they can you as a dependent and the baby it would help with the military insurance. Other than that I have no ideam

If you have a job, claim your daughter. If you do not work and your parents claim you as a dependent then there wouldn’t really be a point to not have them claim her. Have you talked with them about what you intend to use the money for?

5 Likes

Since you pay rent and buy your own things, then no. It is illegal for them to

1 Like

They can claim as a dependent but not the earned child income due to you living under their roof… I went through this with my parents. Thats why they ask if anyone else has or can claim you or your child.

Keep receipts for everything you pay for and don’t let them claim her. You’re renting a room if you pay rent and last I checked military housing does not allow that.

3 Likes

Nobody can claim the child over the parents. It doesn’t matter if the provide more than half or not. If you or her dad can claim her, they cannot. If they do claim her the only to stop it would be file taxes. I’m not sure if you can stop them if you aren’t filing, I’ve never heard of someone fighting for a kid they couldn’t file for, so I’m honestly not sure on that note. But if you work and claim taxes nothing else matters, only you can claim her. You would have to file a paper return if they already filed because it will keep denying your submission.

No file her on your taxes they will get introuble

My mom cannot claim my son :woman_shrugging:t3: n I live with her also. Do u work?

Are you filing taxes? You say you pay rent, but I don’t want to assume you have a tax paying job because it could be under the table, assistance or paid for by dad. Etc. Anyways… if you pay or file taxes then I’d be fighting tooth and nail for it. If you’re not filing taxes then it doesn’t really matter because you wouldn’t get anything anyways? But everyone is correct they do NOT have a right to a bunch of money for your daughter if they aren’t supporting the majority of her upkeep. I don’t think you’d have a problem winning but it will be a pain in the ass AND they will prolly kick you out after anyway. Even when I lived with parents for free for a year after my divorce at 21, they didn’t claim my son. That’s just wild.

No do not let them claim her, do not give them her social security number. Tell them you claimed her already and they can’t because they do not care for her or pay for her expenses.

1 Like

When I lived in my father’s home, I was responsible for food for the house, my kids and my personal bills. I let him claim 2 of my 4 kids. Had to give him their ssns in order for him to do so. When we moved, it was mid year, I let him claim those kids again on his taxes. Sounds to me like a bunch of selfish adults in the house.

1 Like

You support her they dont… You are the one who is to claim her… If you claim her and they claim her they will be the ones in trouble for trying to claim her… You have every right to claim your child. Do not allow them to bully or guilt you.

2 Likes

If you are a stay at home mom and do not have a paycheck how are you going to claim her. You won’t have a W-2, you will be claiming her with no money behind you. Your SO supports you so I’m assuming that he is the one paying the rent, but he isn’t legal so he can’t claim her. It might be smarter to have them claim her and at least split what they would be getting back on her. They would get back more than what you would get.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t let them. U cant get into trouble for telling them no. Sorry sounds like ur parents just want money. I wouldn’t let them because down the road if u wanted to u would have to most likely fight u do indeed take care of her.

1 Like

Don’t give them her SS number

Don’t let them claim your child . You are basically a tenant in there home . So no they don’t have the rights . You claim your own child !!! No you will not get in trouble with the IRS .

1 Like

I’m confused. How is she paying rent if she’s a stay at home mom? Maybe the dad sends money?

3 Likes

Whoever provides FINANCIAL SUPPORT over half the year is the one who claims the baby. Since the babies father is not a U.S. citizen, obviously he cannot claim her on the taxes. Your parents can claim her yes, with your permission. If they claim her and you don’t approve, you can contact the IRS and report it. If I were you I wouldn’t give in and let them claim her, because they aren’t giving you anything. If they are only allowing you to live in their house, but not buying anything for your child, then they aren’t financially supporting her. You even pay rent, so it’s not like you are living there for free. File your taxes ASAP. If they do it first, you’ll have to fight it. If you do it first, and then they try to claim her, they will be audited.

6 Likes

Oh and hold up, you pay rent to your parents on a military base? This whole thing is shifty.

7 Likes

You can report them and claim her.

1 Like

Before you make any decisions, calculate how much you would have to pay every month if they kicked you out. If you don’t have a job, you really can’t file taxes anyways. And some parents charge there adult kids rent and save it for them, so how would you feel if you demanded the money, and it turned out they had saved everything for you on a down payment on house or something?

3 Likes

If they pay over 50% for her care then yes they do, but in your case no they do not have that right

3 Likes

If you’re working you can claim her. The only way they could was if you weren’t working at all. Whoever the child lives with the majority of the year (6 months at least) claims the child. Since. You’re her mom you claim her on your taxes. Your parents are the ones that will get in trouble for claiming her and have to pay the taxes they received from her if you file and claim her

3 Likes

My parents claimed me and my child for 2 years and kept every dime. I’m on disability and pay for everything for us. I’m still tempted to report them.

2 Likes

Also do your parents pay for your health insurance?

2 Likes

They are not in the right on this. Unless they are using their money to pay for all or majority of her expenses they cannot legally. Claim her as a dependant.

2 Likes

They shouldn’t be able to claim her if your signature isn’t on there anyway you should be the one claiming her

1 Like

If you pay rent and take care of your child financially, whether you live with them or not, they cannot claim her.

8 Likes

Sounds like they just using you an your daughter for lazy money tbh​:woman_shrugging:t3::pensive: Should try get your own place fast as possible :blush:

4 Likes

If your a stay at home mom with no income, how are you going to claim her anyway? You claim taxes on federal and state taxes taken out of your paycheck. If you don’t have a job and you don’t get a paycheck, how are you going to claim her?

6 Likes

They will get in trouble shitty parents

Claim her 1st. Who ever claims second will get flagged.

2 Likes

You claim your baby, you will not get in trouble if you are the person caring for the dependent. They would actually be in trouble if they claimed her and the IRS found out. They would need proof from school to drs notes etc saying they are the caretakers.

3 Likes

You work and pay them rent? Do you have the ability to show proof of rent payments? I don’t think they should claim her, so I would absolutely make sure to claim her on your taxes but have the evidence ready to prove that they do not support you or your child and that you are paying rent and providing for your daughter.

1 Like

Yes you can refuse to allow them to claim her. She is your child not theirs

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure in this situation they would actually be in trouble

1 Like

Pretty sure they can claim her but will not get the child tax credit for it. My fiance 100% supports us and my oldest child isn’t his biological child and the tax people told us he can claim her but for that reason he will not get any extra money for it.

They can’t claim her without her SSN. Just don’t give that info to them🤷

1 Like

If you don’t have an income why would you file taxes? You won’t get any money for claiming her if you haven’t paid into taxes, you have to have earned income. I would honestly try to make a deal with them, try to get them to accept claiming her as payment for rent or something.

6 Likes

You will not get in trouble. Are you working and made at least 3k this year?

They wouldn’t be able to pass the dependent test either way so the best they can do by claiming her is lower the amount of taxes they have to pay. They cannot claim the child credit that you would be able to.

If they do end up.claiming her, you can still do it and they will audit their taxes to see who claimed wrongly and THEY can get in trouble.

You will need to be ready to prove that you pay Bill’s, rent, food so save all you receipts.

3 Likes

like someone else posted be the first in to file taxes for the year whoever claims her first will get it not rite way to do things but thats the way it works

1 Like

With everything you’ve said, You should be the one claiming her, not your parents

2 Likes

If you don’t work, how would you claim her?

5 Likes

If they do claim her then you call the IRS yourself and have it handled

They cannot claim her as a dependent only as a qualifying relative. Claiming you child wont “give” them any money as a credit only lower the amount they’ll need to pay on.

If they don’t support your child financially they have no right to claim them on their taxes. However if you are a stay-at-home mom you have no income to file taxes for therefore you won’t get any extra money back for the baby.

2 Likes

They have no right to claim her…

No one has that right unless they can prove your an unfit mother ,this is so wrong fot a parent/grandparent to do this to their daughter

2 Likes

Why do they have her social security number to even be claimed in the first place. Don’t give social numbers out to anyone!

4 Likes

If you stay mom house, how can you claim her?

are we talking about claiming on taxes? Do they provide more than 50% of her care? Do they supply more than 50% of your care? If so, they can legally claim you both

2 Likes

No. Unless you give the okay for them to do so, and they actually support her. Before I was working, when my kids were babies and I was a single mom, my mom helped me support my kids. So when tax time came, she claimed my kids. But I was completely okay with it. Because well she was helping me support them. Their dad wasn’t. She got the tax credit for them. And gave me some money to help with them out of that. You will get in no trouble for her not claiming your daughter. Not sure why or how she thinks you could 🤦 if she does, she could get in trouble for fraud.

The original poster needs to contact a tax preparer. It is free to speak w someone. Even in the office. Whoever claimed her will also receive the stimulus money as well. Don’t let them bully you into letting you do this w YOUR child.

2 Likes

You would not get in trouble if you claimed your child but since you don’t work i assume there is not taxes for you to do. I bet they are claiming you too

I take it which a lot of people I think skipped over is the fact they live on a army base so I’m guessing your still considered their dependent bc you would still need a id to get on and off base easily and that means they also are covering ur medical if ur still a dependent. I have a few questions about what all they really take care of Bc I know there are rules to people staying on base housing and things. Like if yours not on the sponsors paperwork you can get in trouble for living there so that’s at risk to them also. This is coming from a military spouse of 10 years. So I know they are more finicky about rules and that.

In this situation since u didn’t give permission they can get in trouble also u will need proof of paying rent, food, medical bills, and etc. that will help u out a lot as well. Only the mother of the child should have access to the SSN. They can get in trouble for that if u did not give them permission to that as well. So if u have proof of all that for a case ur parents can get in a lot of trouble for it.

I’m a little confused. Are you a stay at home mom? Or do you work? If you don’t work, then you can’t claim her. Is there someone that you want to claim her? I’m not quite sure what’s going on here but you won’t get in trouble for not letting your parents claim her. HOWEVER, if you’re trying to let someone outside the home claim her then yeah, there could be issues.

1 Like

Can you afford to live on your own??? If my parents were helping me I would allow them the Tax break

3 Likes

If you don’t work you can’t file or claim the child on taxes

I would have claimed her too so that way it flagged it and then you have to claim it

You pay them rent. You’re no longer a dependent. I would tell them no. If they claim her anyway they will be audited and get in trouble.

1 Like

You should be able to claim. I’d say if you report it they would get in trouble for tax fraud. Make sure you do your taxes before them and claim her. Make sure they know you did. If they try claiming the same social security number they will automatically get flagged.

1 Like

Do they have her as a dependent for health insurance?

1 Like

Yes you can refuse. Claim her do it first. Then they have to prove they totally support her. And they don’t you pay rent food etc. They’ll call you and ask if they can do this because she’s your dependant so you’ll have that notice.

File fraud on them. They’ll get audited.

If they have not supported her - which you’re saying they have not - then it is tax fraud for them to claim her.

2 Likes

I think the best solution is to refer to the tax laws.

1 Like

Be appreciative that they let you live under their roof. As a thank you, even though you pay rent, that they let you stay there. It would cost you much more if you were completely on your own. In the end they are still saving you money. Besides, you don’t work, how are you filing taxes?

3 Likes