Do you consider a down payment part of the purchase?

When making a large purchase such as a home or vehicle do you consider the down payment part of the amount you are paying for the item or just the portion that you finance?

4 Likes

Did the down payment go towards the item that was purchased? Then yes it’s part of the purchase. What else would a down purchase be considered???

The down payment is part of the purchase price. It just lessens the amount you need to finance

Yes, a down payment is a portion of the purchase price by definition. If you put a $5,000 down payment on a $20,000 car purchase, your financing paperwork will show it subtracted from the total financed and you’ll only pay interest on the remaining $15,000 of the sale price. Usually there are other costs included in the financing like taxes, registration, & title fees so you need to carefully read what you’re signing.

2 Likes

Part of the purchase lol. You wouldn’t even be making a purchase like that unless you had a down payment put down.

I don’t understand the question lol. Of course it’s part of the purchase, it’s money going towards whatever I’m purchasing.

4 Likes

If my bill is $200 and I make a down payment of $100, I owe $100.

I don’t think you understand what you’re asking…:thinking:

1 Like

To me it’s always forgotten money, and I find I concentrate mostly on the amount financed. But technically it’s part of the purchase price.

A down payment is always part of the purchase price…

If a vehicle costs $20K, you put a down payment of $5K on it and then make payments on the remaining $15K, you still paid $20K for the vehicle.

Where do you think a down payment goes?