Do you let your kids cuss around you?

Do you let your kids cuss around you? I do not. But my sister lets her kids cuss around her and I’m truly confused by this…

26 Likes

I’m teaching context since I come from a lineage of sailors.

14 Likes

Yes but depends on age and not towards anyone (calling someone in house a bi***)

1 Like

No. They never did either until they were adults

How old? I’m 27 and let words slip but not all of them. Definitely not around my grandparents, though

So, my husband and I curse. Our kids know that they can’t say those words because people (their bio mom and teachers) will be offended. But if they let one or two slip sometimes, in the right context, we’re not going to be angry at them or punish them. We just remind them to watch who they say it around. They’re just words, in our opinions… we teach context and what words mean, because if a kid doesn’t know a word is “bad” and they use it because they heard it somewhere else, that’s not their fault.

64 Likes

We have rules. Not in public and not not at people (like calling names). I have heard worse without a single swear word come out of people’s mouths, it’s just about respect.

8 Likes

Yes. They’re 10 and 15. It was cool. Now that I allow it they decided it’s not cool and stopped.

4 Likes

If they are still a minor definitely not but if they are a grown adult they can speak however they would like

1 Like

Honestly I do. My son is 9. He’s an excellent kid with great manners. He knows not to say it around anyone other than my husband and I. He usually uses it to be funny and never directed at anyone. I feel like it takes away from the “ novelty” of it… like bc I allow him to say it at home, he doesn’t feel the need to sneak and say it around his friends etc.

6 Likes

Depends on the age and I let it slip once in a rare while but never on a consistent basis

As long as it’s in the right context and they’re not dropping f bombs every other word.
Studies show that people who curse are more creative and honest, and it actually helps with mood and pain.

6 Likes

Around. Yes. At. No.

1 Like

Omg no. I may swear but my children swearing, no way

2 Likes

I let my kids belt out a few after frustrating foot ball games… one of them took it as an ok to do whenever. Definitely one of my most regretted parenting choices :woman_facepalming:t2:

No. I’m 30 and still don’t cuss around my parents. To me, it’s a respect thing :woman_shrugging:t3: kids also don’t always know the correct time when a curse word might be okay to say and little kids running around with dirty mouths is trashy to me.

2 Likes

Meh really not a huge deal too … they can’t say the F word but other words im fine with… I swear so it shouldn’t be a terrible thing for them. Not in public but around some close friends idc

2 Likes

I personally cuss, an i think i cuss more then my husband… however we dont let our 5 kids cuss. The oldest is almost 16 and still not allowed. Do i think they cuss outside the home an around there friends ? ABSOLUTELY lol :joy:

5 Likes

My 19 year old to this day refuses to say one bad word. Will not even read it if it’s typed. Now my 16 year old…:woman_facepalming: She’s got a mouth of a sailor! But it was not allowed until they were teenagers.

mine are special needs teenagers, and I swear without even realizing it, so mine do, but they know when it’s ok verses when it’s disrespectful… depends on each parent

Mine are 15 and 18 and it’s whatever at this point. They’re required to have respect and they do

2 Likes

Not until they pay their own bills :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I follow the same rule my mom did while I was growing up. The only time my 13yr old is allowed to swear, is if he’s singing along to a song. The only time he is allowed to listen to those songs, is when his siblings are not in the car with us.

My 14 year old does (at home) but not my 6 year old

I’m teaching my son to be like me…don’t curse around someone new because they may take offense. Don’t curse around people you know don’t like it. There are much worse things in this world than words in my opinion so yes, my son can cuss and I won’t be too upset. He knows not to be vulgar or disrespectful (don’t call people names, especially curse words) and that’s what matters to me. Now if he were to start going around ‘eff this’, ‘eff that’, and just saying the words as much as he could, there would be an issue. But every once in a while? Nah, it’s ok.

3 Likes

nope. my kids know grown up words are to be used by grown ups and that they in fact are not grown ups…so we give them kid versions of the grown up words to say

1 Like

I mean I just let my 16 year old tell me how it’s fucking bullshit she’s getting fucked over when she was rightfully pissed off yesterday but otherwise in just passing or simple convo??? Hell no. They need to learn the 100 other words we use the f bomb in place of before they start using it lol

Mine never would around me, and I still won’t around my dad ( my mom passed away) For whatever reason though, my kids just dont cuss lol.

It is a word. I do however teach them respect. Calling someone a B verses just saying WTF are way different in my opinion

6 Likes

Pick your battles wisely. Yes I do.

1 Like

The only time I let my kids cuss is in certain situations. Like when my son slammed his finger in the car door

It’s personally not a huge deal to me. They’re just words. They know not to say it in public or around company though. I don’t encourage it, but if they let one slip, I don’t freak out about it.

6 Likes

My teenagers do it around the house but they are mindful of anyone else. If one of the little ones happens to say it then incorrect them bc they don’t even know what it means

My boys are 12 ,11, and 10. I am fully aware that they cuss… and if it slips as an accident or somethin, I do not get mad or upset. I just shoot them “the look”. But if we are sitting down watching a movie and they are just cussing to cuss… THEN I will say something. But… like someone else said… pick your battles… they are going to do it, they are going to learn it, and a bad word here or there is not enough to make me spank, yell, or get onto them every time when HOME is just that… HOME! Being in public doing it is another story… my boys know… TIME AND PLACE!!! lol

4 Likes

I do but never cussing at a person

1 Like

I notice if I dont make a big deal out of it they’re less inclined to do it so I dont even acknowledge when mine does it or my nieces and nephews.

No they do not cuss in front of me-they are men with families but still respect their mother

Nothing crazy or insane!! But mine are all 13 and under. Once they are older maybe!! They are going to cuss behind your back anyway. I want my kids to know I am their safe place and they can talk to me about anything and sometimes cussing helps release anger. I came from a very conservative strict military home where perfection was expected and failing made you unworthy. I never want my kids to feel that. Plus it honestly just made me more sneaky and got me in a world of trouble they never knew about and weren’t there to help me. I have always enforced with my kids no matter where you are what time it is or what you did you call me no questions asked I will pick up you and whoever else needs help. Consequences will be there after the fact but I will always be there always!!

1 Like

I cuss and with that being said my kids normally do not. When they are talking and want to say one they ask for permission :joy:. Not sure how it started but it’s funny when my 18 and 17 year old ask for permission to cuss.

My son is 14 and will not cuss around me or his dad, but I’m 100% positive he does when he’s with his buddies lol

1 Like

My adult children out of respect for me never use the f word

Certain words yes but others no.

1 Like

If you’re letting them cuss around you, they’ll soon be cussing at you. It’s disrespectful and I wish my kid would!

Meh, my kids are all teenagers, I don’t care all that much if they do but they dont

Got a 15 and 12 year old, I know they are gonna cuss because we cuss, i dont want them dropping f bombs or anything like that, they occasionally say ass or damn. They know not to cuss around their elders, or certain family that goes to church, or the younger nieces and nephews. The old saying “do as I say not as I do” comes to mind. I’m 34, still dont cuss around my momma and daddy cause I’d like to keep my teeth,

We weren’t allowed to swear as children, and I only really now as an adult swear around my mum. I called my aunt a bitch at Christmas and she looked at me like id just punched her

My toddlers cuss here and there and I just try not to react because that makes them do it more. I try to explain to them that those are bad words and they’ll get in trouble when they start school for saying them which helps them stop. My 9 year old will say slightly bad words like ass and shit but not often enough for it to be a huge problem. He knows not to talk that way anywhere else but home

I would when they are older. Im not correcting the words my kids say unless its deogortroy
The ideas around having “bad/cuss” words is just dumb. Imo

5 Likes

Who do you think they learned it from :rofl:.

Depends on the age. My daughter (19) does but if she is around me she asks before she says cuss word. My son (16) I tried to pay him to say sh** and he still wouldn’t say it. I think this is very much based on the kind of relationship you have with your child(ren).

I 100% let my kid cuss. Not at me, obviously but he cusses. He’s smart enough to know it’s situational. He won’t cuss when company is over, or when he’s out in public. Ever. If I told him not to, that would just make him want to more.

5 Likes

It’s just a word/words. As long as they know when is and isn’t appropriate to use them (like not in a professional setting) I think words being “bad” is ridiculous anyway :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I dont let my kids but they r 3 and 5

My son yes…hes 13 though. Strict rules about where he does it…not at school, not around little kids, etc… but at home with me (not at me) …or with his friends…thats cool.

My 7 year old isn’t allowed yet though.

I cuss like crazy. I know I know. :woman_facepalming:t3: around my mom I use them sparingly but not my dad or grandparents. As for my kids. As much as I cuss…my 5 yr old don’t. He just knows it’s not appropriate and he even gets onto me for it. :roll_eyes: To me they are just words but those words can get u in trouble real quick if used the wrong way at the wrong place at the wrong time. When he gets older he’ll know when and where it’s ok

2 Likes

Nope. And i never would infront of my parents either

I mean I don’t just let them but my oldest is 15 (he will be 15 on the 15th) & he has a few times on accident, in front of me! Other then that he don’t cuss at home… I’m sure he does with friends Lol my other kids are 11, 9, 4 & 2 so they haven’t cussed in front of me yet! Well my 2 year old daughter has just because she’s heard it from the adults in our family but she knows it’s bad & if we tell her to say a bad word she will whisper it :woman_shrugging:t2::sweat_smile:

To each their own. You probably do something your sister might think isn’t a good parenting move. If it’s not your child and the child isn’t being hurt, it’s best to mind your own.

1 Like

Yes, idc if they curse, they know not to use it at school or in front of their elders (grandparents etc). They aren’t allowed to say words like stupid, dumb etc. to me that was more important, for them to be kind :woman_shrugging:t2: my kids don’t just randomly cuss, but if it’s a song they’re singing or they stub a toe bad, they will and idc.

5 Likes

I’m a sailor. I tried so hard in the beginning not to swear but I couldn’t stop and I found when it’s not made “forbidden” they don’t care about it as much. It really depends on WHAT and WHY it’s being said though. In my house bad words are words that insult other people but if my 6 year old stubs her toe for the 3rd time in 1 day she let’s out a loud "FUUCK!":joy: The rule is she can curse at home, not at school or at her dads and she can’t call anyone names or just curse left and right. She very rarely curses, always has a good reason why which is usually caused by getting hurt or scared and never calls anyone names so I don’t see the issue with boundaries in place​:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

My parents let us as long as it was not used directly towards them in anger. Mostly if we are just joking around we do. Or if we hurt outselves or something like that😂 my kids are too young to cuss. But I’ll probably be the same with them as my parents were with me on this

I allow my daughters to cuss around the house. When I was a child it was strictly forbidden. When I was able to cuss I did it like a sailor. It is my form of reverse sychology. My 10 year old will ask before she says ant bad words. My 3 year old is still learning. So it seems to work. Both of them have never cussed infront of other people, just my husband and I.

2 Likes

Mine do occasionally, they are all adults, but I’ve always told them there’s a time and place for it. I also tell them that it makes them sound trashy but that’s my opinion. I do cuss sometimes too. Usually when I’m mad.

3 Likes

No I do not, if they were teens, I’d correct them, but it wouldn’t bother me as much.

I don’t really mind it as long as it’s in the correct context. At 3 my daughter was in trouble at daycare for saying ass. I asked the teacher in what context, she told me my daughter told another little boy that she would “kick his ass if he didn’t stop touching her”. I was fine with it, teacher wasn’t so happy though. At 7 she’s still not brave enough to try anything more than calling things stupid😂

Nope not around me, I’m pretty sure they do with their friends and with their other siblings. When I’m not present.

Man, I must be a crappy mom because the other day my 3-year old called his older brother a “badass” when his older brother won a game in Fortnite and I couldn’t help but laugh. I tell my kids that there are worse things in the world than their language and as long as they aren’t using it in a disrespectful way towards a female or anyone, then I don’t mind if they do it when they are a little older. My 11 year old asks a lot and I know he will do it behind my back anyway.

My kids don’t like to cuss

1 Like

My kids know certain words, but not the context. If it slips, I’ll kindly explain it’s not appropriate, but we don’t have “bad” words.

1 Like

Negative. Hell I was in my late twenties before I ever cussed around my mother.

3 Likes

Hey mom, Lisa Yoder McManess, what the fuck is this random ass shit :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

My dad cussed like a sailor, and now that im an adult, so do I. I have a 16 and a 6 year old and even though my 16 yo doesn’t around me, my 6 yo slips some times. If you’re not an adult you will not cuss in my home☝I don’t play.

2 Likes

Well…I am a cusser…I swear like crazy…my kids however don’t…my youngest is 3 and doesn’t… my oldest is 10 and he asked around his bday if he could "say bad words " and I told him not at school or in front of his elders …he still doesn’t do it but I’m ok with it if he does

Yes I do. They’re just words. The only reason people are offended by them & use them to offend is because society has taught us to. If it offends you youre at fault for allowing yourself to be offended. Not my or my child’s fault.

5 Likes

I mean kids are going to say all sorts of “bad words” when they aren’t in your presence :woman_shrugging:t3:. I don’t understand this parenting culture of sheltering our kids so much. Swear words are legit just word enhancers. Yes there are places where it may be “inappropriate”. Or “right time” and “wrong time” to use such language. My little is only 2. She doesn’t really repeat me (yet). But I do not sensor myself in front of her. When she’s old enough to understand, than I will explain to her the right time, or rather the few wrong times to say these words. And she obviously won’t be using for every other word. But I have people in my life that when I say a swear word they crawl out of their skin like I just spoke about murder. Now THAT confuses me. They are just words, chill :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

No. Its incredibly disrespectful. I try not to curse infront of my elders and i dont let my child curse at all expecially in front of me or any other adult. But what someone else allows their children to do is up to them. Everyone parents differently and i cant say that someone elses parenting is wrong just because its different then mine.

4 Likes

Yes, just trying to teach him not to around my parents, my husband’s parents don’t care though. He’s 1.5 so we’ll make sure he doesn’t do it n school but til then we don’t give af :sweat_smile:

Absolutely no way…
Yes that might make me a hypocrite, but im also a mum and the boss in my house.
Its vile hearing kids especially really young kids swear…
Im trying to raise a gent not a wanna be gangster

1 Like

I have recently started allowing my kids to cuss.

However… They know when it’s appropriate to do so, and there are some words they are not to use. I’ve noticed that when I correct them for swearing, they seem to do it more. So I’ve just decided to allow it, but with boundaries.

They don’t cuss around other people, just myself.

1 Like

Her kid her rules your kid your rules

6 Likes

My child is too little to talk however I do have a friend with older children and she allows them to cuss at home. Her point is that she’s spent the last few years with a child getting bullied and has preached that words are simply just words and we don’t have to give them power and that includes cuss words as well. You’d be surprised that they don’t often use bad words even when allowed and they’re old enough to understand that just because they can say things at home doesn’t mean that they can at school.

I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old , it is a major no

We try not to around them , sometimes we mess up

And my 5 year old has repeated them in context, iv pulled her aside and explained that those are not nice words that adults use sometimes and they arnt for children to use ever, it isn’t nice for adults to say them and I am sorry if you have heard mummy or daddy say them

At the end of the day if they do this in school they will be called up , and in most work places. I’m not going to pretend they don’t exist , and I discourage them from saying them

Im Aussie an we swear like troopers :rofl:
My 2 eldest (17 & almost 16) haven’t been told they can swear, but I know they do & have told them not to do it purposely but if a “shit” slips out now an then I don’t care.

Aslong as they’re not using the F bomb in front of me or swearing at me…which they wouldn’t coz they know I’d take them down :laughing:

My kids didn’t start cursing in front of me until they were grown

Nope. I let them know that there are other words they can use that’s what will make them think before they say it.

I cuss. My kids are too young to follow the rules that will be set so they’re not allowed to cuss… yet. As long as it’s not an insult it’ll be allowed around us only and in the house. Yeah you had a fucking hard day at school? Ginny wouldn’t stop bitching during science class? You loved the shit out of your dinner tonight?

I don’t. It’s disrespectful.

1 Like

There is a difference between cussing and using cuss words directed towards you…my son my say a cuss word now and then when talking with his friends (he is 17 btw) but when he talks to me he knows better than to use cuss words…I guess it all depends on what you feel is appropriate and what is not

2 Likes

No ! It’s unnecessary and disrespectful. You can find better words to express your feelings.

1 Like

I don’t care if they swear, they aren’t allowed being mean or disrespectful though. Their actions are more important than some words. I mean they can’t be saying “f you” etc but it doesn’t bother me if they’re swearing to themselves

2 Likes

I don’t but my kids will say like “that show said the s word.” I can’t lie, I cuss around my kids and cuss words don’t bother me. They are just words. My kids just choose not to say them

2 Likes

Meh I mean it depends I guess like my son stubbed his toe and said shit and I didn’t flip a lid I curse like a sailor now if one of my kids said fuck you I’d pop em in the noggin it depends on the context just like the word stupid and ugly isn’t allowed in my house but if they said shit or damnit I probably wouldn’t freak as long as they know not to go doing that at school or other people’s homes

My 6 year old and 3 year old cuss sometimes but literally EVERYONE in my family cusses. We are respectable about it. Lol we just tell them only at home and not towards each other.

2 Likes

I think cursing is so unnecessary as it is.

2 Likes

Nope! It’s disrespectful!

1 Like

My 16 year just start cussing . I can’t lie I have a mouth of a sailor.

1 Like

Absolutely not! We don’t cuss around our kids. We would not allow them to cuss around us. My parents never cussed in front of me when I was young and I still feel weird about cussing in front of them now and I rarely do, even though I’m 37! It’s just a respect thing!!!

1 Like

My kids do, sometimes. I tell them that they can’t swear at people and they need to be careful with who they swear around because some people don’t like it.

1 Like

Uhm no. Once she moves out sure lol

Honestly they are just made up words, unless they are using them directly at you or to hurt someone its not a big deal.

5 Likes