Do you let your toddler walk in grocery stores?

Hey moms! Do you guys allow your two-year-olds to walk with you into places or while shopping? I saw a mom with her son, who just turned 2. He walked with her everywhere and did really well. My son is wild, and I feel like I would be running all over like crazy. Do you ladies keep them in the cart while shopping? Or a stroller? I carry my son into stores and such still as well

5 Likes

Trust me my 3 year old son can be wild and all over too. However in the stores he’s not. He holds my hand or pushes the cart with me. I’ve told him I don’t want him to get lost like “Dory” and he can understand that. I also said there’s some not nice people and he has to stay close to me. Be real (in terms they can understand) and he might do better than you think. And if he doesn’t…his butt goes in the cart.

Mine is 14 months and we live next to a small grocery store where we know most everyone that works there. I’ll let her explore a couple aisles obviously not while shopping, but following beside her so I can grab her right away. I think it’ll help when shes older, but I’d rather keep her in the cart or on a backpack leash for safety reasons.

1 Like

I put mine in the cart but shes a wild little bit. I also have 3 my older 2 I allowed to walk sometimes just depends to this day they have to touch the cart or I tell them if I can’t reach out and touch you, your too far away from me.

I have a 3mo, 1yo, and a 2yo and it’s usually just my infant in the cart with one walking on either sides of me holding onto the cart. If it’s near their nap time and we HAVE to be out, they all go straight into the cart

Yup get him his own plastic buggy, a little wrist leash or back back doesn’t hurt either. I have two older kids I did this with and one infant I plan on doing this with.

1 Like

I’m teaching mine these: anytime we are outside she has to hold a hand and watch for moving cars. In stores if she’s walking one hand had to be holding onto the cart at all times

My son is 4 and ALWAYS goes in the cart. He is very spontaneous and I don’t trust him to stay by my side.

I did, I made them help picking things… But if they started acting a fool back in the basket it was. With a " And I don’t want to hear your screaming either! " :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The crazies go in the cart for this mama! & the seatbelt straps are the threat… “KEEP THE NONSENSE GOING AND IM GOING TO PUT THE SEAT BELTS ON!!” As they throw every item on the floor or each other or other people :sweat:

In the cart for my youngest but with my middle kid i had a wrist leash for him

I keep him in a cart, if not, I would end up spending a hour just chasing him, then give up and never buy groceries again

I’ve looked after lots of children in my life time. Depending on number I’m caring for, they are either strapped in a pushchair or a trolley. I like to have them in complete control when shopping. Can’t bear to have the poppets wrecking the shop, being totally unruly, and gave all the other shoppers falling over them or being deafened by the screaming tantrums…in my day it was called respect…

My son just turned two and he walks to the store sometimes other I carry him, but he is always in the cart. But he will not let me move that cart without him being buckled. I would have to buckle him every time we went cause he would try to stand up. So he know knows it has to be done.

My son is a wild one, doesnt like to hold still or set in carts for long. I let him hold my hand an he does surprisingly good better then setting in the cart. You can always give it a try.

all kids are so different!! my oldest i was able to let him walk. he was an angel. but my daughter and other son absolutely NOT!!! i remember the youngest one pretending to play baseball running up and down the aisle sliding and yelling safe :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I put my toddler in the cart. Definitely. He’s not gonna have me sweating my hair into an afro trying to chase him around. Nope. :rofl: Also tho, I think he likes the cart. He never tries to get out​:woman_shrugging:t5:

My daughter is two and she walks at the mall only, and into restaurants and that’s about it, at the grocery store she’s in the cart. At the mall she HAS to hold my hand or her dads, and MUST walk between us. If we let her go she can’t be more than a foot away and she knows don’t touch anything, she does really well, it honestly is just a learning experience the more you let him the more it could calm him down as maybe anytime he has that freedom he’s gonna want to go crazy versus doing it all the time could start to be boring and hell clam down a bit?

My 19 month old touches everything he sees and usually puts it straight in his mouth if he can! I was crazy about germs before 2020 and even more so now so mine is staying in the cart with a seat cover for now.

If my husband is with me I had my daughter out of the cart but if it’s just me she went in the cart. Now that she’s older and ask me to buy everything I leave her at home.

1 Like

If I have both boys 2 and 3 yrs old then I put them in the cart but if I just have one of them then I will let them walk with me. But I keep a leash backpack on them. It only takes seconds for a child to get taken. Let’s be honest when your looking on the shelf for something they can easily get taken. So my rule is always a leash backpack when waking in public lol.

I kept mine in the cart because my twins were 2 when my youngest was born and that was just too much baby to have wondering the store. But if I had one alone; I’d let them walk

I just started letting my 3 year old do it. Hes all over the place. Don’t be scared to use your voice to tell him off though cause he’ll need it if you do it. Keep him interested in what you buy and distract as much as you can from the big bolt. And if tantrums start…get down and do it with him…its the most embarrassing you’ll ever do but it works🤣

My youngest has been allowed to walk since she was 2. Our 7 yr old still needs to sit in the cart :heart:

My 3 year old ( just turned 3 ) sits in the cart still … hes wild :woman_shrugging: he would be running / touching everything , but my older son ( 13 now ) use to walk with me stayed close didn’t touch things or run off

My two yr old hates being confined to the cart, and will push the cart around with some steering guidance. Keeps his busy hands from emptying the shelves.

Mine stays in the buggie… out of respect of other, especially childless, shoppers lol

If the store has the fun buggies we do those, if not he walks holding my hand or is in the back of the buggy.

Mine walked and would say hi to everyone… at 4 she still says hi to everyone. If she was sleepy or I had to get in and out a would wear her

Keep him in the cart :shopping_cart: he’s a wild one :woman_facepalming:t2:

Have an understanding before you go into the store.

On reins… So walking but controlled

My youngest is 1 and just wants to be free so she walks. Takes extra time but it makes her happy. My oldest used to walk around too when she was younger and I would give her a bag or something to hold onto so she wasn’t always grabbing off the shelves

We start out slow. We start with walking and hold hands, and when he gets restless and wants to pull away, we put him in the cart.

If its just a quick trip then in the cart the tot goes. Trips where I’m actually shopping for her I tend to let her walk with me. I feel like its important for her independence to be able to pick some small things out herself when given options. It also makes her feel special

Kids belong strapped in the carts! you cant possibly watch them and shop ,people kidnap kids in an instant and also WE dont want your kids running around its annoying to the rest of the shoppers

My daughter is 18 months old. Generally I leave her in the cart or hold her. On occasion I put her “leash” on her. Its a dinosaur backpack and buckles around her and she does get with that too

Yes I put mine in a trolley…wish I hadn’t! He now doesn’t know how to behave in a shop and runs around!

My sons 2 (3 in may) and hasn’t been in a pram since he was about 18 months old x

If he holds my hand he’s allowed to walk with us, but no hands equals the cart or hokding

Keep them contained.