Do you like using a slow cooker?

Moms who have a slow cooker, do you like it and use it often? Does meat stay tender, or does it get dried out?

1 Like

I use it all the time….its wonderful turning it on in the morning and having dinner ready…

I don’t. I love the idea of it, but I enjoy my food when it’s cooked on the stove, oven or grill. I do have one but barely use it.

If I can make it in the crockpot, I’m making it in the crockpot!

I try to prep everything the night before, in a large tupperware bowl, so that all I have to do is dump it into the crockpot in the morning, turn it on low and head to work.

I would suggest investing in the crockpot liners though. It makes cleanup so much easier!

1 Like

Pot roast of beef with baby carrots, quartered onions and potatoes on the bottom and my mom’s secret ingredient, dried apricots on top of the meat go in the pot in the morning and you come home to your house smelling wonderful! Depending on work hours set on high or low. It’s hard to overcook anything.

Also a great way to cook pork shoulder for nice chunks of meat for pork dinners, some shredded for pork barbecue, or whatever. Just don’t pour the liquified fat down the sink.

My husband calls me the crackpot queen…

My favorite thing to make in the slow cooker is ribs. You cannot find a more tender and moist rib. I use mine a lot for chili, spaghetti and meatballs, soups, anything I can. I prefer it because I can throw in meals before I go to work and they are finished cooking when I get home. I’m a substitute teacher and exhausted most days. This still gives us a fulfilling meal without me standing over the stove.

2 Likes

The meat dries out if there’s no liquid in it. Use broth instead of water.
Almost 17yrs, never had a problem.
We hunt so we’ve used regular beef & chicken, but also used deer, bear, elk, etc. :tipping_hand_woman: I use beef broth mostly, even for chicken. It seems to give better flavor.