Do you tip when you go through the drive through?

Do you all tip when you guys go through the drive thru to get like a coffee or drink or whatever? I always feel so mean if I hit no… but it’s already so expensive. I just wanted to know if I’m the only fool tipping or if we are all fools?

16 Likes

I just went through Starbucks for a gift card for a birthday party my kids are going to, I felt bad not tipping, but they literally just handed me a card! So awkward

3 Likes

I seen a tip button screen on subways credit card reader the other day. I get that they are making the sandwich but I kinda thought that was what they were paid for. Not the same as tipping a server or bartender at all.
I do tip through the drive thru though. Usually just my change or a $1 but they run their butts off

At Culver’s I do sometimes. They bring the food out to me. Like bringing it to a table.

I dont tip unless I got a little change and I’m like keep it.

You ALWAYS need to tip your drive thru barista. :wink::hugs:

5 Likes

I do if I have extra … some days I need that extra for gas haha so I guess it just depends on the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only time I tip is if I sit down for service and eat there. If I order to-go or through drive thru, there is no tip.

2 Likes

No I don’t but at random places where someone brings me things I have tippers guilt … and I usually try to give SOMETHING

I tip my barista at like Starbucks

1 Like

Nope. I do not tip at drive through, Carry out or fast food places. I’ll likely catch flack for this but I also don’t follow the societal standard of minimum tip at restaurants either. A tip is a reward for a job well done and based off of the job done. It is not my job to pay a salary that’s on the business/owner. If the server does a good job I will tip well if not the tip decreases. I do not hold the food quality against server as that’s on kitchen not them but solely on their attention to my table based on how many tables they have actively assigned. I’ve tipped$25 on a $30 bill. Normalize holding employers responsible for paying a living wage. This tipping thing has gotten out of hand as everyone expects a tip anymore.

38 Likes

No…if I don’t get table service I don’t tip

4 Likes

I try not to, unless my order was too complicated.

1 Like

No. If I go inside I’ll throw a couple bucks in the tip jar, even if it’s to go.

I don’t tip in a drive-thru, ever.

I always tip for sit-down service as well as delivery service.

4 Likes

If there’s an option I’ll hit the lowest one or if I pay with cash (which I rarely ever do) I’ll give back the coins or if I happen to have a dollar on me I’ll give that. I usually Mobil order though so I never reply run into that

1 Like

So do you tip the cashier at the stores for taking your money they all get paid for doing a job. Did your a tip for doing a good job?

No.

I only tip for actual waitresses/waiter situations. If you become a regular at a place and they’re super kind and maybe upgrade you occasionally yeah I’d drop a $1 or something.

But that’s rare.

7 Likes

I don’t tip when buying coffee. It is their job to make the coffee. Now unless they provide exceptional service or fix a problem with no hassle then sure. Same with waitresses/waiters, if they provide a service then I tip, but if I’m going in for a pick up order then I don’t.

1 Like

At a drive thru? No. Period

I deliver pizzas. There’s a misconception that we get the delivery charge. I can tell you at the big chains, we don’t. And our store has company cars and if we drive those, we don’t get mileage. So if we don’t get tipped, we get zero for that delivery. Just our $6/hour :person_cartwheeling:

Tipping is just so corporations don’t have to pay livable wages. I’ve stopped tipping completely unless the service is really good. It’s a gift not obligation.

1 Like

Don’t feel mean! Honestly I hate that it asks you at Starbucks, it’s so awkward. Lol

1 Like

No! I don’t tip unless I sit down and I’m actually being waited on, I do tip my oil change man, my hair dresser, nail tech, and 20% at restaurants, sometimes more!

11 Likes

I might occasionally hand the employee a couple of bucks if the mood hits me, just to brighten their day. I always leave a cash tip, and resent being asked to tip when I swipe my card. That’s a money grab and I doubt that the workers actually see any of that money.

2 Likes

No. Waitresses and waiters get tips because they make like $3 an hour. They also take your order, bring your food as well as anything else you ask for during your meal and they take your dishes and clean up after you. Starbucks doesn’t need a tip because they made you a cup of fucking coffee.

I try to tip $1 when I go to Starbucks but I don’t alwayssss. If I order pizza or fast food for my family, I’ll tip $3-5, if I have it. I work at a restaurant with a drive through, our machine automatically asks customers to tip but we do not expect people to tip us at all. We do greatly appreciate it though but are never upset when people don’t! If someone orders a $10 meal, I don’t expect them to tip me. If they order more like $40 worth, a little tip to show appreciation is nice but again, I do not ever expect it!!

If you can afford a $12 coffee you definitely can afford $1 tip .

1 Like

I do for small town coffee shop. I do not for large chains

No I don’t. They aren’t waiting on you. They are just handing you your food. My husband about lost it when a pizza place asked him if he wanted to tip for a carry out order.

2 Likes

You’re not a fool but only tip for sit down service. Waiters and waitresses depend on tips, as stupid as that system is. Everyone else gets a regular pay check like the rest of us. Keep your money

I usually do at 7Brew. They are outside in the weather getting your order, plus the screen you have to sign has the tip thing on it and they are sitting there watching you, so it’s kind of a guilt trip too.

I don’t :woman_shrugging: I usually only tip for those who are making below minimum wage… delivery, hair/nails, waitresses. There’s 1 food truck I always tip at tho because they are so nice and I’m obsessed with the food.

Drive thru service is the bare minimum. You aren’t getting waited on so I don’t think a tip is necessary when they’re doing the simple baseline of their job that they’re already paid a wage for. Only drive through I tip for is coffee stands.

Nope I’m not doing that I will tip the server at a restaurant and that’s about it. I’m not tipping someone who makes $15 an hour.

1 Like

I tip $1 for every drink I get.

Fast food: no
Pick up orders at a restaurant: Yes, 15%
Coffee: A dollar or two per cup.