Does breastfeeding help you lose weight?

This question was submitted anonymously by real people looking for real advice. Please be mindful with your responses. No bashing or derogatory comments will be tolerated.

38 Likes

Everyone is different, I was quite slim after I gave birth but gradually gained on the pounds due to the extra calories you have to consume in order to keep your milk supply up, plus I was hungry a lot!

2 Likes

Yes it does help you lose weight, you lose 60 calories for every ounce you pump. But you’re also supposed to eat an additional 400 calories a day, and stay hydrated while breastfeeding

1 Like

It helped me because I couldn’t eat much to compensate for the calories due to stress. Also my milk started to dwindle because of stress. So while it made me lose weight, I didn’t breastfeed for long.

I think it’s different for each person… I lost the 60lbs in about 5 months and continued to lose & maintain for a year and a half of nursing.

I didn’t eat a ridiculous amount and always ate healthy during… but never had a big appetite because of it. Just added in one large snack per day and stayed hydrated as best I could.

2 Likes

Different for each one & their daily lives, diets, metabolisms etc…my last baby, I seemed to be hungrier, leaking more, not much daily excercise…I think it all depends on how exclusive & religiously pumping/feeding, if your hydrated, daily physical activity, daily diet, limited daily sugar/junk food diet, etc

2 Likes

I gain weight when I breastfeed because I’m soooo hungry. Way more so than when I’m pregnant. Hopefully you get the opposite

7 Likes

Breastfeeding helps the muscles of the uterus to contract and therefore helping it to return to its natural size. Therefore your belly will shrink in size back to normal. However I don’t believe it burns fat to help lose extra kgs we put on during the pregnancy. That all still comes down to what we are eating and how we are exercising. I walked a lot with the pram instead of driving. That helped.

6 Likes

Your body burns slightly more calories while breastfeeding, which caused me to feel like I was starving so I consequently overate while producing. I didn’t lose weight until we quit breastfeeding.

3 Likes

For me yes I even had to buy a couple new jeans :jeans:because all my pre pregnancy jeans were huge on me. Breastfeed for 2 yrs and then my weight returned to my normal pre pregnancy weight

1 Like

Breastfeeding is causing me to gain weight unfortunately. That’s because I have a HUGE appetite ever since I started breastfeeding and I have bad eating habits. I don’t eat the healthiest of things.

4 Likes

Yes
I had humongous twins… (they were 6.5 and 8.5 at birth) I gained 100 lbs.
I nursed them for 9 months. And after 4 months was back at my prebirth weight .

2 Likes

The weight fell right off for me. Breastfeeding was the best thing I ever did.

2 Likes

It helps your uterus shrink down to normal size after delivery quicker.

1 Like

I think so, my sister nursed all 3 of her babies and shes still 130 lbs.

1 Like

No. Eat a well balanced diet, drink lots and go for walks. Baby excess will eventually deplete.

1 Like

It doesn’t help you to lose weight… It’s just a myth… You actually tend to EAT MORE when you are giving birth… Breastfeeding makes me hungry…

4 Likes

I lost what i gained in a few weeks then 10 more pounds within the 6 months

1 Like

Not for me almost 2 years of nursing and I’m the same weight

It’s helps you to burn a lot more calories!

1 Like

I breastfed all 3 of my kids for 2 years each and it never helped me lose any weight. :sob::sob::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I lost weight. It was dropping off me. X

Totally helped me lose the baby weight.

1 Like

Everybody’s different but it definitely kept weight off of every part of my body except my boobs

1 Like

Not for me lol but I only did it for 2 months I actually lost weight when I stopped but I’m sure everyone is different and after awhile you do

Breastfed for 3 years and Yeaa Nothing happened I’m still fat lol

Yes it absolutely does I gained 30 lbs with my daughter lost it in a months time was back to 120 in a month and got pregnant again when my daughter was 6 months old gained 28 lbs and lost it again in 3 weeks time so yes I do believe breastfeeding burns calories quickly I did not breastfeed my son and it took years too lose the weight I gained with him my daughters were completely opposite I breastfed and lost it quickly I’d definitely recommend it

It burns a lot of calories, but for me it made my appetite so uncontrollable because of that so, no for me.

7 Likes

I was told that by breastfeeding the stomach muscle pulls together and goes back to normal. Thats why youll loose weight. I felt that myself but didn’t breast feed long and still lost all the weight.

I lost all my baby weight and then some with both my kids … but after about a month I gained majority of it back because of my appetite. I seriously get so hungry nursing.

6 Likes

Yes! It makes your body contract back to normal faster! I breast fed my son and my daughter would do it all over again! The best and most natural thing for the baby,gives all the antibodies they need! You just have to watch what you eat and drink. Good luck to ya!

1 Like

It helps your uterus shrink back down which can help get rid of the weight. I was 193 going into labor, they had me breastfeed my baby almost immediately after they handed him to me. He just turned 3 weeks yesterday and I exclusively breast feed. I’m already down to 163.

Wonderful for your baby the best way to bond and provide the nutrition you are a wonderful mother so proud of you.

I think it depends on each person. It did not help me lose weight. When I finally stopped about 10 months after our daughter was born I started shedding weight. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Yes. I lost like 30lbs and kept it off until I stopped breastfeeding… it was the skinniest I’ve ever been even pre baby

I lost a lot at the beginning but it was very easy to gain back when I stopped after a year. I exclusively pumped and it made me so nauseous so that probably helped too.

It’s different for anyone! I lost a ton of weight from breastfeeding and unfortunately lost my supply because of it.

It didn’t help me if anything I put weight on

2 Likes

I lost my baby weight almost immediately and I swear it’s from nursing. My youngest is still nursing at 13 months and I’m down to my high school weight, he’s almost 30 pounds.

1 Like

Also made me eat healthier bcz I was feeding my baby

Yes the first year very much … the second year not so much soo gotta watch what u eat

Not for me! Food is the only thing that works for my weight.

Do you mean drinking it?

Absolutely not it did the opposite for me

1 Like

I gained all my weight after I stopped breastfeeding.

Unfortunately for me, it was a big no.

Yes!!! I was skin & bones while breastfeeding, lol!!!

Yes,so does staying active.

I dont think it does. But everything varies from person to person. But pregnancy weight gain should be lost due to breastfeeding.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/expert-answers/breastfeeding-and-weight-loss/faq-20094993#:~:text=Beyond%20providing%20nourishment%20and%20helping,production%20and%20feed%20your%20baby.

Yes most definitely.

Yeeessss. It did for me.

1 Like